Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Search by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Seven - Diagon Alley

“Professor Dumbledore!” Harry was shouting at Phineas Nigellus’ empty frame, “Professor, are you there?”

“Bloody hell, boy, stop shouting!” Phineas’ drawling voice said, “I’ll get him, just shut up, will you?”


As his voice faded, Harry heard him mumbling, “Selfish teenagers, it’s always gimme, gimme…”


Dumbledore appeared in the frame, worry etched in every line of the old, painted face. “Harry, what is it? Are you alright?”

“R.A.B.,” Harry said, bursting with excitement, “I think it’s Sirius’ brother, Regulus!”


Dumbledore’s expression changed from worry to surprise in an instant.


“What’s Regulus’ middle name?”


“It’s Alphard, Professor, and it fits!” Harry said breathlessly, “He was a Death Eater, and he’s dead. He probably knew that he would die, too! He tried to back out of Voldemort’s rank!”


“Harry, I’m proud of you!” Dumbledore smiled. “you figured this out by yourself, and I’m certain that you are right. Before he died, Regulus came to me saying that he had to tell me something of importance, but he seemed to think better of it. He was sick and worried, and left in a hurry. That afternoon, he was found dead in his house.”


“Not Grimmauld Place?” Harry gasped. If Death Eaters had managed to break into this house once, they could do it again.


“No, not Grimmauld Place; he had already moved out. Number 12 is quite safe.”


Harry had just realized something that he had not thought about.


“Professor,” he said, using his words carefully, “I thought you were the secret keeper, but you can’t be now because…Well……You’re…You’re dead.”


Dumbledore chuckled.


“In fact,” he said smiling, “it’s even more safe! I can’t be killed, and they can’t very well hold my portrait hostage until I give them the location.”


Thinking this over, Harry thought that it made a lot of sense.


“But the locket, what happened to it?”


“I've yet to formulate any proper guesses,” Dumbledore sighed. “You still remember what it looks like, right?”


Harry shook his head no. The image had long since left his head. Dumbledore paused.


“I want you to have the clearest picture. The night I died, I put some important memories in my Pensieve; I knew that the journey would be dangerous. I will talk to Minerva and see to it that you receive my Pensieve. These memories will help you, and you can store your own.”


“Thanks Professor!” The pensieve would definitely help him locate the missing horcruxes.


“You’re quite welcome, Harry. Now, if you don’t mind, I will discuss this with Minerva. Good day.”

~*~*~

When Harry arrived in the kitchen, he was surprised to see Remus Lupin sitting at the table talking with Mr. Weasley and Charlie. He looked up when the door opened and smiled.


“Harry, there you are,” he said, standing up to shake his hand. “How have you been?”


“Fine,” Harry replied.


“That’s good. I was just talking to Arthur and Charlie about Severus Snape.”


A shiver ran through Harry’s spine. Lupin’s face had hardened, and Charlie was suddenly very interested in his fingernails.


“He is apparently Voldemort’s right-hand man now, and a great threat to the Order. He has been playing double agent for years, and has acquired plenty of our information. If he is ever caught, he will be sent to Azkaban for murder.”


“He deserves more,” Charlie said bitterly.


“It is important that we find him before he can spill all of our information and plans,” Mr. Weasley said, rubbing his temple.


“Or, we’d have to change our plans, and use the ones that Snape knows to get him into trouble, or corner him so we can catch the slimy git,” Charlie said.


“The Ministry Plan!” Lupin exclaimed, “We could use it to lure and capture them.”


"Well,” Mr. Weasley sighed, “we could discuss it at the meeting tomorrow. Kingsley Shacklebolt is in charge of the Ministry Plan, so I’m sure he’ll have some input.”


Mrs. Weasley entered the dining area at this point, carrying stacks of dishes with food floating on the plates in front of her. With a small flick of her wand, the dishes flew out of her hands and started setting themselves around the table. Another flick set the food down.


“Charlie, could you go call the others, please?” She said. When Charlie had gone, Mrs. Weasley told Harry to sit down. He was already piling mashed potatoes onto his plate when Fred, George, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny entered the kitchen.


“There you are, Harry!” Ron said sitting next to him, “Did you tell Dumbledore about R.A.B.?”


“What’s that?” Charlie asked.


Harry explained only what he had to about R.A.B. and the Horcruxes, and what Dumbledore had said.


“So he can be killed?” Mrs. Weasley asked, her eyes wide.


“Yes,” Harry sighed, “But only I can kill him.”


“Well,” Mrs. Weasley said as her voice cracked, “I think it’s time for bed.”


“Mum, it’s only 9:30!” Fred complained, "we're of age, we can go to sleep when we like!"


“NOW!”

~*~*~

“Harry, get up!” Harry received a blow to the head from a pillow.


“ARGH! Geroff me!”


“Wake up! We’re going to Diagon Alley right after breakfast!” Ron said cheerfully.


10 minutes later, Harry trudged sleepily into the kitchen and was greeted by the Weasley’s, Hermione, and Lupin, who had stayed over night.


“Hey, Harry,” Ginny said. He pulled out the chair next to her and grabbed some toast as he sat down.


“Hurry up and eat, Harry dear, we’re leaving soon,” Mrs. Weasley said, brushing crumbs out of Ron’s hair. “Honestly, Ron, how do you get food in you hair?”


Harry shoveled down some breakfast, and was ushered towards the fire.


“Come on, and make sure you say the name clearly, that means you, Harry!” Mrs. Weasley said, handing him the tin of Floo Powder.


Harry stepped into the fire, dropped the Floo Powder, and said, “Diagon Alley!”


When everyone else had arrived in Diagon Alley, Harry took Ginny’s hand, and they, Ron, and Hermione said goodbye to the rest of the group and went their own way, after much of Mrs. Weasley’s protesting. Harry found himself wishing that it were just Ginny and himself.


“Ron, why don’t we go see Fred and George’s joke shop? We can help them move, and Harry and Ginny can go buy their school supplies,” Hermione said, displaying her usual comprehension and brilliance.


Ron looked skeptically at Harry and Ginny before saying “I dunno--” But Hermione steered him towards Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.


Harry and Ginny set off to Flourish and Blott’s, Harry feeling much happier about their newfound privacy.


“So, what’s on your book list?” Harry said, as he opened the door to let Ginny in.


“Er, I need, well,” she blushed slightly, “I’m planning on becoming an Auror.”


Harry had a sudden vision of Ginny fighting Death Eaters, and being struck by a curse. He pictured her blank, lifeless eyes.


“You are?” He said, unsure about how he should feel.


“Don’t get all protective on me,” she said as though reading his mind. “McGonagall reckons I’d do a great job, and that I’d be hard to bring down.”


“I wasn’t!” He lied quickly, “I’ve seen the result of your bat-bogey hex! Any Death Eater would be terrified to meet you!”


Ginny laughed as she picked out her books for Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, and Herbology.


After visiting Madame Malkins’, Ginny decided that since Ron wouldn’t be returning to Hogwarts, she couldn’t use Pigwidgeon to deliver her letters.


“I want to pick out a nice brown owl,” she said thoughtfully as they headed towards Eeylops’ Owl Emporium.


As they turned the corner to face the street where the emporium was located, they heard a series of loud noises and bangs.


“My God!” Ginny whispered. “Not them, too!”


The owl emporium had been blown to pieces. Owls that had escaped were shooting into the sky. Rats were scurrying down the street as fast as they could to flee the scene. No one was coming out of the rubble. Ginny ran towards the nearest owl trapped in a cage. It was hooting loudly in terror. She opened the cage door and the bird circled overhead.


There were loud footsteps thundering behind him. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Charlie and Lupin were running towards them. Charlie swore loudly and continued running towards the wreckage, kicking pieces of stone and wood away, apparently looking for survivors. He whipped out his wand and levitated the entire roof.


“Morsmordre!”


Mr. Weasley attempted to stun what was undoubtedly a Death Eater, but with a loud CRACK, he was gone.


“I know that voice!” Lupin shouted with rage as the Dark Mark gleamed above. “How could I forget Severus Snape?”


“He was here?” Harry asked, infuriated. Lupin nodded hastily.


“Mum, dad!” Charlie yelled, “Come here!” He was trying to pull a man to his feet.


“Joe Curtley!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked, “We have to leave! Arthur, the children!”


Right on cue, Ron, Hermione, Fred and George came dashing into the alleyway. There were distant cries echoing along the street.


“Oh, thank goodness!” Mrs. Weasley said, pulling them into a tight embrace.


“I want all of you to Apparate back home immediately! Go!”


“What about Harry and Ginny?” Fred asked, “They haven’t taken their tests!”


“I have!” Harry argued, “on my birthday, my uncle really took Dumbledore’s words to heart. He took me, and Ginny can side along with me.”


“Good, now GO!” Concentrating with all his might on Grimmauld Place, Harry and Ginny disappeared.


A second later, they landed in the entrance hall of number twelve. Mrs. Black’s portrait was screaming about blood-traitors. The couple tried to force the curtains shut without much luck. When he twins arrived, the four of them together managed to shut the old woman up.


“Well,” George sighed when they all entered the kitchen and took their seats, “that was intense!”


Hermione sniffed, and Ginny was very pale. Ron hadn’t spoken since he had seen the disastrous scene. “Lupin said that Snape was there,” Harry said slowly, “he was right there, and I didn’t even get to face him.”


“Face it, Harry, what would you have done?” George said.


There was a sudden commotion upstairs, and a thunderous ‘BANG’.


“That can’t be mum and dad, it’s too soon!” Ron said at last. Fred and George headed up the stairs, wands in hand.


“Tonks!” Harry heard them say in unison. The twins, followed by a slightly disheveled Tonks came down the stairs.


“Wotcher!” She said to the crowd, “got word from Remus about an attack you witnessed. He thought I should come check on you lot.”


“We’re alright, but thanks for coming,” Ginny said politely.


Harry had just registered that she was carrying a small suitcase.


“Are you planning on staying, Tonks?” He asked.


“Yes. Remus and I don’t feel safe in our own homes either. He’s going to stop by his house on the way back here.”


CRACK, CRACK, CRACK! Charlie and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley all materialized in the kitchen.


“Well,” Mr. Weasley said sounding exhausted, “that’s another murder by the Death Eaters.”


“I’m just glad that Ginny’s off to Hogwarts in a week. At least one of my children will be safe.”


“So you still trust the school?” Charlie asked.


“Of course I do!” She snapped back, “with all the spells and safety -- AARRGH!”


An owl, apparently coming from nowhere, had just landed on her head and was nipping Mrs. Weasley’s flailing fingers in what she obviously thought was an affectionate way.


“Ginny! It’s that owl you saved!” Harry said in surprise, recognizing the brown owl with black markings around his wings. “She must have followed you home!”


“Smart bird,” Fred said appreciatively.


“Mum,” Ginny said turning to Mrs. Weasley with eager eyes as she stroked the owl, “can I keep him? I need and owl anyway.”


“Well, I suppose he doesn’t have a home anymore, so yes, you should keep him. Why don’t you bring him upstairs, introduce him to Hedwig and Pigwidgeon?” Mrs. Weasley said. She turned to her husband.


“Arthur, we should get ready for the meeting, I expect people should be arriving soon.”


A thought had just occurred to Harry as Ginny left the room.


“Mrs. Weasley, could I join the Order now? I’m of age, and well, technically out of school.”


She bit her lip. Harry knew she couldn’t deny him this; he did fulfill the requirements.


“Molly, I think he should,” Mr. Weasley said, “if he’s going to look for the Horcruxes, it may be beneficial if he is in on the meetings. We could tell him what we know, and he can tell us how things are coming along.”


“Then we should, too!” George piped in.


“And Hermione and I!” By the time Kingsley Shacklebolt arrived for the meeting, Mrs. Weasley had caved in. The Order now had five new members. Ginny had fumed about missing the chance to join the Order. Her mother had flat out refused her youngest child’s admission.


“Don’t worry,” Harry had said, pulling her aside, “I’ll tell you everything.”


“Thank you, Harry.” She wrapped her arms around him, and he kissed her. He knew that he’d miss this when Ginny left for Hogwarts in a few days.


“Harry, the meeting’s starting now!” Ron called to him.


He said goodbye to Ginny, and went into the kitchen.

A/N: Chapter 8 is called "the Order of the Phoenix," not much to give away there.