Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Tell Me This Isn’t What It Looks Like… by islandsurfer

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Author's Note: Hey guys! This is my first shot at a fanfic, ever. So please, read, review, and be brutal! I appreciate the constructive criticism.
Disclaimer: No matter how much I'd like to own these characters and place mentioned, I don't.

Chapter 1: A Normal Day of Shopping… Or Not


Harry came into Diagon Alley in the morning to look around, see what’s changed since he left Hogwarts, and to visit Fred and George. The only things that were different were the returning of Mr. Ollivander and Florean Fortiscue. Harry stopped in at each place to say how glad he was to have them back in their shops. He also stopped in a few other places to buy other things that he really didn’t need.

He finally came to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. He went in and found the business to be quite slow, which suited him, just fine. “Hey, Fred,” he said to the closest twin who was restocking the shelves.

“Oh, hey, Harry. Nice to see you,” Fred said as he turned around.

“You too, so how’s business been?”

“It’s been brilliant, really. This is a very rare slow day. Everything gets quite crowded in here close to the beginning of the school year,” Fred answered. He walked back to the counter to alert and oblivious George to Harry’s presence. Fred tapped his twin’s shoulder. George then stuffed a small half-pill in his mouth. “Test of a new product for the Skiving Snackboxes. No name yet, but it’s like sticking invisible earplugs in your ears. The exact opposite of Extendable Ears. They’re excellent for getting rid of the noise of the shop,” Fred explained as George became reacquainted with sound.

“Brilliant to see you, Harry,” George said as he regained all his hearing. “How’ve you been?”

“Great, actually, I got a flat out in London and I’ve got a job as an Auror.”

“But since old Voldy’s gone, it’s been pretty quiet right?” Fred joked. They talked for a while about business and the twin’s products and things of that nature. Then George came up with a new topic.

“So, Harry, you have a girlfriend?” he said. Both the twins then heard him mumble something into his hand. “What’s that mate?”

Harry took a large breath before repeating; “I haven’t had a girlfriend since Ginny.”

“Okay, Fred, pay up,” George said with a smile. “We had a bet going. I said you hadn’t gone out with anyone since her and he said you’d gotten a new girlfriend and were just friends with Gin,” George added as Fred counted out five Galleons into his hand.

“Well, how could I have a new girlfriend when I still have feelings for Ginny?” Harry said, before getting a shocked expression pasted on his face. “Please tell me I didn’t just say that.”

“Don’t worry, mate. We’ve known. We see how you look at her every time you come over,” George said.

“And we can fix it so she’s your girlfriend again,” Fred added. “We came up with this new love potion. It’s a lot stronger and lasts as long as however much you use. All you do is say the name of the person who is giving the potion, you, and give it to Ginny.”

“I can get her back by myself, thanks,” Harry said, looking slightly offended.

“Jeez, mate, it was just an offer,” Fred said.

“I know,” Harry said. “I’m sorry, it’s just I’ve been at my flat for over two weeks without seeing anyone. It makes you forget what it’s like to be around people.”


~*~*~



When Harry got home, he spent hours trying to figure out what he should do. He sat at his kitchen table, trying to eat his untouched breakfast at dinnertime. He paced around his bedroom in confusion. As he thought he could just talk to Ginny on his own, he noticed his hands started shaking at the idea. He started plotting out what he might say and trying it on Hedwig.

“Ginny,” he started. “I’m sorry I ever broke up with you. I want you to know that I still have feelings for you.” He looked at Hedwig who stared back with a blank look. “Ah, you’re right. It’s horrible.” He started just having a normal conversation with his snowy owl. He stopped only when she started hooting, getting hungry. He got her food and sat by her again.

“Owls aren’t really the greatest ones to talk to,” he said, petting Hedwig. “I need to talk to someone who can answer. Someone who knows what they are saying.” Then a thought hit him. “I need to talk to a girl. But I can’t talk to Ginny and Mrs. Weasley would blow it way out of proportion. So who?”

He went through his head, trying to think of all the girls he knew back in school. The only problem was thinking of ones he still kept in touch with. They were limited to the ones he knew closely like Luna and girls from his year. He sat around reciting names and how they could or could not help. There were more cons than pros, though. The whole time, he knew he was forgetting someone, but he couldn’t think of whom. Finally, he realized who it was. He knew she would not only accept the task, but also be perfect for it. He uttered one word in response to his triumph.

“Hermione.”