Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hogwarts, Meet the Marauders! by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Quote of the Chapter Which Is Completely Relevant to the Story

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Death can really absorb a person. Like most people, I would find it pleasant not to have to go, but you just accept that it's more or less inevitable. – Graham Chapman

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

James walked down the corridor, still a bit confused over his encounter with Fred and George. If he said he wasn’t Harry, then that meant he was. But then if he contradicted himself, would the fact that he said he wasn’t Harry first come into play when he said he was? Or maybe the previous comment just cross-cancelled that, so therefore, he wasn’t Harry. Or maybe…

Not paying any attention to the outside world, James rounded a corner and bumped into a girl with long blonde hair, knocking her down. After gathering his wits, James helped the girl up. “Sorry, I didn’t see you…”

The girl had large, dreamy eyes and a faraway expression permanently upon her face. “Oh,” she began, “that’s all right. I didn’t see you either. Sometimes I wonder whether anyone sees each other.”

James suddenly felt as though he had miraculously appeared in Remus’s classroom again, Fred and George accusing him of not being Harry. “Um…”

“Do we all see each other differently? Look in the mirror, and what you see may not be what I see,” she continued, staring at James. “Maybe it’s the perception of the viewer or just the view of the person themselves.”

“Yeah…”

“You look an awful lot like Harry Potter,” she said dreamily. “But you aren’t him. You’re different.”

“Well that’s good, because I’m not Harry Potter. I’ve got to get to…”

“I’m Luna Lovegood,” she said, completely ignoring the previous comment. Or perhaps she didn’t hear. James was betting on the latter.

“Moon-calves have infiltrated Azkaban,” she said suddenly.

“Right…” James commented, looking around for any route of escape.

“What’s your name?”

Let’s see if she falls for this... James thought. “Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister,” he replied.

Her eyes went solemn. “Welcome to Hogwarts, Prime Minister Chruchill,” she said, extending a hand to shake.

James couldn’t believe it. What happened to Hogwarts the way he knew it? “Yeah… I’ve really got to go now…” he said.

“You can walk with me. Did you know there is secret passageway to Durmstrang is behind this wall?” She paused to put a hand on a regular looking wall.

“Um…”

“Yes. I’ve spent some time trying to find a way in, but I haven’t found it yet.” She looked sorrowful at her last statement. “I’ve already tried tapping my wand against a few bricks, and also taking the hairs of Professor Flitwick and arranging them into the shape of a pyramid onto the fifth brick to the north-west, but no luck.”

James wasn’t sure if she were joking or not.

“Hmm… do you think if you could maybe give me your robe, we could cut and sew it into a door, therefore symbolically opening the passage, and maybe really way from Durmstrang to Hogwarts?” Luna turned to face the wall, staring at it thoughtfully as James broke down on the floor and started to wail.

As Hermione, Harry and Ron turned the corner, they were a bit surprised to see Luna leaning against a wall, exerting herself over the effort, and James, curled up against the wall, shaking his head and letting out a random, “I can’t stand the confusion!”

Hermione, giving a look towards Ron, hurried to James’s side and got him standing. “No one warned me that it was going to be so bloody strange in the future,” he muttered, walking away from Luna, who had apparently forgot he was there.

“It’s really not that strange. Luna is a nice girl, once you get used to her,” Hermione assured him, as they walked back to the staircase.

“And how long does it take to get used to her?”

“Uh, well,” said Ron, “she was a wicked commentator at the Quidditch game.”

James frowned at Ron as they continued their way down the hallway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Professor Snape sat in his room, head in hands. Why on earth was he sitting with Trelawny at Madam Puddifoots, drinking Butterbeer and eating those disgusting sweets? Something was indeed wrong. Last thing he remembered was standing over his cauldron, mixing a goat’s bladder and ram’s horn when…

Damn. Why didn’t he remember? Shaking his head, he went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face. All he knew was that he and Trelawny were sitting intimately together, and he had been… enjoying it. Then, he snapped out of his stupor and immediately left, leaving the Divination teacher in a dizzy.

He’d been feeling rather warm all night though, which was simply odd, for him. Think, Severus, think! he told himself, desperately trying to remember back.

Then, it hit him.

He was struggling to remember things.

He was feeling warm.

And he had been in love with Trelawny.

All these symptoms added up to… the love potion. How did someone slip a love potion into his water supply? Trelawny? Maybe, but that didn’t quite make sense…

Putting on a black robe, Snape walked up towards the main area of the castle, wanting some fresh air to clear his mind. The grounds would be the perfect place to take a stroll and think…

The night was cold… it was October, after all. October 4, 1996. Snape walked around, nearing the forbidden forest, mind still reeling off possibilities. Hagrid’s hut loomed near to him, but, surprisingly, the lights were all on and the sound of chatter arose from within.

Snape slowly made his way over, and positioned himself near a window, trying to overhear the conversation. The Irish brogue of McGonagall floated overhead, sounding very amused. “I don’t know if the potion has worn off Severus yet, but we’re hoping it won’t. He’s been through such a change, a lovely one. If only our dear Snape would stay that way forever…”

Flitwick, from the other side of the room, interrupted. “Severus is a nice fellow, a bit stiff, but it has been good to see him lighten up a bit. Might I have a bit more sherry, Rubeus?”

Hagrid laughed. “Well, it’s been good ter see Snape brighten up a tad. Mind you, I don’t think he’ll appreciate this here conversation much.”

The teachers laughed, and Snape scowled, crouching down under the window. So this is how he came to have love potion in his drink… Well, Severus Snape was going to get even with them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Remus watched from his room as foursome talked about Luna Lovegood as they proceeded across the hallway. How light-hearted James was… how much he didn’t know… Remus bit back the urge to tell him about how he had died. About who had betrayed James and Lily.

It hurt even more, seeing James not know these things. Weren’t they all living a lie? He had to tell him something… he had to… after all, today held special meaning. He had to tell him.

“James!” he called out, the urge too strong. James turned toward him, as well as Ron and Hermione.

“James… I have to tell you something.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ron and Harry exchanged worried looks as Remus called to James, ushering him into his room.

“Do you think…?” Ron began, looking nervous.

“Professor Lupin wouldn’t tell him anything about what’s happened to the Marauders,” said Harry confidently, but felt a twinge of doubtfulness hit him. Surely Professor Lupin wouldn’t tell about how Peter betrayed them… about how… Hermione shook her head at the two boys. “You two,” she said, sounding much like her bossy self, “Professor Lupin would never tell. I’m shocked. We know he’s a good teacher and would never go against Dumbledore’s orders…”

At that moment, there was a sudden cry from the room. Ron and Harry jumped to the door and pressed their ears against it. They could hear muffled sobs from inside the room, sounding very much like James. Hermione stayed behind, narrowing her eyes at the two boys who jumped to the door.

“I... I can’t… believe…” James said, sounding deeply distressed.

“I know.”

“It’s… no… but… we… they…”

Ron’s eyes widened. Lupin had told! He leaned closer to the door, trying to catch more of the conversation between Lupin and James.

Lupin said something unintelligible, and then James came anew with fresh cries.

“I don’t believe it… when… when did he… he… die?” The last word from James’s mouth came soft, as though he wouldn’t- couldn’t- believe it.

Some more unintelligible words from Lupin (he talked much too soft, Ron thought,) and James let out a cry. “He was so young! He had a whole life ahead of him, Moony! A whole life! Why… why…”

“I know, James, I know.”

“I can’t… this is too… I just… no…”

There were a few moments of silence inside the room, and James finally asked, voice dropped low, “What happened to…”

Ron couldn’t hear who James had said, but Harry mouthed, “He said P.” It dawned on Ron- Peter Pettigrew. They were talking about the rat.

“He’s traveled a bit…” Lupin said, very much skirting the subject, Ron thought. Sure, Peter had gone to Egypt with them and a few other places, but that was stretching a little. “He’s been around the world... he still lives in England.”

James’s voice sounded bitter. “He’s off going to Egypt and… and… India while his… his friend… is… his friend is…” James started to break off, and then finally rushed through the last word. “While his friend is dead!” he finished, and began to cry again.

Lupin muttered something, and James calmed down. Ron and Harry looked miserable. James had taken it hard.

“That’s really sad,” Ron whispered, turning to Harry. Harry nodded his agreement, when a loud shush silenced them.

“Be quiet,” Hermione hissed, leaning next to Ron. “I’m trying to listen!”

There was nothing but silence inside the room. Finally, James whispered, “It’s just so funny how you can make light of that… of death… But he was good person. He really was. He was just too young. I’ll miss him… the world will miss him.” Ron could almost see Lupin nodding. “Yes,” said Lupin quietly. “Well, come in tomorrow, maybe I’ll have some pictures to show to you… find a video…”

The threesome stepped away from the door as James exited, eyes red. Ron and Harry gave each other an anguished look as James stepped out, trying to compose himself. Hermione reached out and gave James’s shoulder a squeeze.

“I know he was your best friend… I’m sorry, James,” she whispered.

James cocked an eyebrow. “My best friend?” he repeated. “I never knew him.”

“What?” Hermione said the regret dropping away from her voice.

“I never knew Graham Chapman. I mean, he was a brilliant comedian and one of the best Monty Python members but I never knew him… I still can’t believe he died today, on this very day, only 7 years ago… rest in peace, Graham. May the character you played, King Arthur live forever in my heart.” James’s eyes began to cloud up again as he wiped his sleeve under his eye.

“Graham Chapman? He was telling you about what happened to… Monty Python?” Ron cried, realizing exactly what had gone on in the room.

“Yes,” said James, puzzled.

“What about Peter, and how he traveled the world?” Harry said, trying to organize everything in his mind.

“Peter? No, that was Michael Palin. You know, Sir Galahad. Blimey, you all have a weird sense of imagination… Peter,” James snorted, giving a small smile. “Remus was telling me that maybe he can find some pictures of the Pythons now, or this movie they made… I’ve never seen it… Life of Brian. What did you think we were talking about?”

Hermione, Ron and Harry turned to each other, disbelief in their eyes. The day could not possibly get any stranger. “AND YOU CAN TELL EVERRRRRYBODY… THIS IS YOUR SOOOOOONGGG…” came a loud voice from behind them.

Everyone exchanged a glance, and began to walk rapidly the other way. Indeed, the day had gotten stranger. And they didn’t know exactly how strange things were going to be during the next week…

Author’s Note: Next chapter up! Hope you all liked that one. I had to make a small mention of dear old Graham Chapman, who died today, 16 years ago on this date. (October 4, 1989.) Wow… that’s all I have to say for this author’s note… isn’t that incredible? Usually they’re so long. Anyway, signing off from your authoress,

Kelsid