Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

There's Always Hope by ravenclawslion17

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



Disclaimer: I do not own the song used in this chapter.




An Angel


Hermione looked on in shocked amazement as Malfoy’s sobs began to fill the air. Was this really happening? Had Malfoy really started to cry in front of her, of all people? As she continued to stand there, the realization of it all washed over her.

He told Dumbledore? It was him? No wonder nearly all of the Slytherins hate him now. He practically ruined their lives….

At this thought, a new feeling towards Malfoy came over Hermione; pity. He really had lost it all. She felt disgusted with herself that she had yelled all of those nasty, terrible things at him, even if the majority of them were true. Yet the main point of her outburst wasn’t a part of that majority – after this reluctant confession, she saw that he wasn’t a coward after all. He had been more brave then Hermione had ever been, and she a Gryffindor! He had risked everything. His very own life had been at stake, and still, he had escaped a cruel death.

Hermione continued to watch the sorry sight. Her feet were rooted to the ground, unable to move, unable to leave him in such an emotional time of need. But even though she stayed, she didn’t have a clue what to do. She just stood there, debating with herself on the action she should take next. She was so immersed in thought that she didn’t hear the sudden muffled chatter of students walking back to their common rooms or the very distinct yell of ‘Hermione!’ that was clearly Ron and Harry looking for her.

As the minutes slowly ticked on Malfoy still cried, releasing the tears that he had refused to shed. Hermione watched as his back heaved, his pale blonde hair catching the moonlight making it look like soft silver. His face was in his hands, muffling his cries, and he sat back on his heels, slowly rocking back and forth just as Hermione had done not too long before. He looked so vulnerable and so innocent, despite all of the evil deeds that were to his name.

She couldn’t take it anymore. She couldn’t stand to look at him as he cried, as he proved to her that he had changed. For once, she was scared that she was right. It was so much easier to handle the old Malfoy, but the new one presented problems. She didn’t have any idea of what to do, so she slowly turned and began to walk away.

She didn’t get very far before she stopped. She couldn’t leave him like this, not while he was crying his heart out. Turning around again, she walked towards him, her mind and heart furiously debating what she was about to do.

~*~*~*~


He didn’t expect her to stay. Of course he hadn’t. It would have been insane to think that she would; they were sworn enemies after all. The incident in their third year had proved that. She wouldn’t stay after all of those things he had done and said to her for the past six years. It didn’t matter that she had thought he had changed. He knew that she would perhaps consider it, then walk away deciding that he deserved to be alone.

He heard her start to move away, and it shocked him to find that it made him cry even more. To think that he was hurting from Hermione Granger leaving him was astounding. But he realized that in his time of desperate need for someone else, he had no one. Only one person alive knew about the true nightmare in his memory, and she was walking away, hurting him more then she would ever know.

He kept on crying, his mind stuck on the fact that he was all alone. He had lost it all, everything that mattered, and no one seemed to care about the pain he was in. Dumbledore knew, but he never bothered to check up with him. The Slytherins knew, but they loathed him for ruining the chances of the Dark Lord coming to power. And Hermione knew, but she was walking away that very minute, making the moment even worse then it would’ve been.

Just when he thought he couldn’t take it anymore, two small arms wrapped around him. He looked to see a head of thick, curly hair, and suddenly realized that he was embracing her in return.

She came back! He thought, amazed. She came back!

One hand tangled in her mess of hair, he sobbed into Hermione’s shoulder. In return, she held him tight and stroked his hair in a reassuring, motherly sort of way. She rocked him back and forth, and his cries became softer and quieter. He still held her tight, frightened that if he let go his world would come crashing down on him for the second time that night. She continued to rock him, and ever so quietly began to sing into his ear.

No mountain’s too high, for you to climb
All you have to do, is have some climbing faith
No river’s too wide for you to make it across
All you have to do, is believe it when you pray
And then you will see, the morning will come
And every day will be bright as the sun
So all of your fears, cast them on me
I just want you to see…
I’ll be your cloud up in the sky
I’ll be your shoulder when you cry
I’ll hear your voice when you call me
I am your angel
And when all hope is gone, I’m here
No matter how far you are, I’m near
It makes no difference who you are
I am your angel
I’m your angel
I saw the teardrops, and I heard you cry
All you need is time, seek me and you shall find
You lost everything and you’re so lonely
It don’t have to be this way
Let me show you a better day…
And when it's time to face the storm
I'll be right by your side
Grace will keep us safe and warm
And I know we will survive
And when it seems as if your end is drawing near
Don't you dare give up the fight
Just put your trust beyond the sky...
I’ll be your cloud up in the sky
I’ll be your shoulder when you cry
I’ll hear your voice when you call me
I am your angel
And when all hope is gone, I’m here
No matter how far you are, I’m near
It makes no difference who you are
I am your angel
I’m your angel…
I’m your angel…


She finished with a soft melodious note, and didn’t speak another word. Draco has stopped crying somewhere in the middle of her beautiful song, but still clutched her tight. They stayed like that for quite some time, in a silence that was anything but awkward. It felt right just to be there in each other’s presence without saying anything at all.

He heard the castle’s clock chime ten; they were an hour passed curfew. Slowly, Hermione untangled herself from his grasp and stood up. With a soft smile she walked away. There had been no need for her to speak – Draco knew she said ‘Goodnight.’

~*~*~*~


Hermione managed to get herself back to Gryffindor tower without being spotted by Filch or Peeves. She had thought she had seen Mrs. Norris out of the corner of her eye, but when she turned there was nothing there. When she stepped through the portrait hole, no one seemed to notice her arrival. There were a few fifth, sixth, and seventh years still up doing homework, but Harry and Ron were not a part of that group.

She slowly ambled up the stairs to her dormitory and was pleased to see that there was only one girl there, Lavender, and she was already asleep. Hermione slipped into her nightgown, crawled into her cozy four-poster, and drew the curtains shut. She leaned back with a small sigh.

Today sure was eventful….

A small smile graced her lips as she thought this. Today would be a day she would always remember, despite the craziness of it all. Today she had seen the real Malfoy, and in the oddest of circumstances. As Hermione snuggled down under the covers, one thought flew through her mind before sleep took her.

I said I was his angel….

~*~*~*~


Many floors below, Draco Malfoy thought the same thing. He was struggling to sleep as the events of that night kept creeping into his mind. She had stayed when everyone else would’ve left him. She had seen the real Draco that night, and surprisingly, Draco was okay with that. He felt no regret whatsoever for showing her that side of him. The only words that bothered him were the ones that replayed over and over in his head.

‘I’m your angel….’

Little did Draco know that the next morning, he wouldn’t lay in a blank trance as usual. He actually had something to think about, something that mattered to him. It would amaze him that this something was Hermione Granger, but after all…she was his angel.




A/N: If you have any constructive criticism, I'd be really happy to hear what you have to say. This is my first fic and I want it to be the best that it can be. Also, just note that I changed the lyrics for one of the lines in the song only slightly to make it fit the story better (in case any of you picked up on that), and I cut some of it out for length purposes.