Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

There's Always Hope by ravenclawslion17

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



Christmas Is Coming



November faded into December, and the holidays were approaching quickly. The castle was filled with the annual cheer, and even Draco Malfoy lit up slightly at the thought of Christmas. Hogwarts would be fairly empty, and as he learned earlier in the week, he would be the only seventh year Slytherin sticking around. Not like I have a choice…he thought, but he wasn’t too bitter about it. He’d finally have some peace and quiet, and he wouldn’t have to endure the usual sneers from his house-mates.

He’d feel kind of lonely though; he couldn’t deny that. Ever since that moment with Hermione, he had been feeling lonely. Before then, he had come to peace with the fact that no one liked him and was fine with being alone. After Hermione, though, he knew that someone cared. And although he appreciated her for it, he cursed her at the same time. How can nearly two bloody hours make me so damn uncomfortable? he asked himself, even though deep down he knew the answer.

Draco sighed, frustrated, and leaned back in the armchair he occupied. Staring at the bleak, stone ceiling he wondered if the Slytherin common room could appear any more miserable. It’s wet, it’s cold, there’s only a sliver of sunlight….

“Malfoy.”

Startled, Draco jumped out of his daze and looked up at the face of one of his former friends.

“Zabini,” he responded coldly, hiding the hope that someone with at least some prestige was actually going to talk to him again.

“You’re in my way.”

Draco glanced around, and sure enough, his chair was blocking Zabini’s path to the portrait hole. Without letting his icy façade fall, Draco scooted in his chair. The tall, dark boy glided past him without another word, and Draco mentally beat himself.

What were you thinking...He hates you...your place in Slytherin society is ruined....

Draco made a mental note to always think before his instincts got the best of him. Or rather, when they got the worst.

~*~*~*~


Hermione sat on her bed skimming through Advanced Transfiguration while Lavender and Parvati were packing for the holidays. Parvati had been given permission to go with Seamus, and although she was a little perturbed that Padma wasn’t handling it well, she was excited.

“A few weeks with Seamus all to myself!” she squealed while folding a skirt gently and placing it in her trunk. “I’ve never been to Ireland either. Ooh, I just can’t wait!”

“I can’t either!” came the muffled voice of Lavender from underneath her bed. She reappeared clutching a pair of pajamas and after cleaning them with a wave of her wand, she stuffed them into her trunk. “Hermione, I really owe you one. I bet I’m going to have so much fun at the Burrow!”

“The Burrow?” Parvati repeated, one eyebrow raised.

“Yeah, doesn’t it sound cozy?” said Lavender, smiling as she sat on her trunk to close it. A silent moment passed, and when Hermione looked up she saw both girls looking at her intently.

“Why aren’t you packing, Hermione? Did you do it earlier?” Lavender asked.

“Oh…no.”

“Aren’t you coming to the Burrow too?”

“No. Did Ron say that I was?”

“Yes, actually.”

Hermione sighed. There Ron went, assuming things as usual. “Sorry Lavender, but you and Ginny will be the only girls at the Burrow this time.”

As Lavender’s face fell, Parvati asked, “Then where are you going?”

“I’m going to stay here. It’s our last year at Hogwarts. I want to spend as much time here as I can.”

“Bookworm,” Lavender smirked. Within an instant, her face was full of pillow. She returned the favor, which resulted in a full-out pillow fight. Shrieks of laughter could be heard all the way down in the common room. Glancing towards the dormitory stairs, Ron furrowed his brow before returning to beating Harry at a game of wizard’s chess.

“Girls…” he sighed, and then looked up at Harry triumphantly.

“Check mate!”

~*~*~*~


Draco slowly walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Everyone was leaving for the holidays right now, so the hallways were considerably empty. He wasn’t sad that nearly the whole school was leaving this year, in fact, he was somewhat happy. He felt calm, rested, and absolutely “ soaked.

Peeves guffawed from up above him. He blew a loud raspberry and pointed, tumbling through the air.

“Aww, is poor wittle Dwakie all wet?” Draco boiled with rage.

“Peeves! Why I “”

“Oh, is wittle Dwakie making thweats?”

“Do you want me to get the Bloody Baron?” Peeves stopped laughing and immediately came to attention. Sweeping his belled hat off of his head, he said “My deepest apologies, Mister Malfoy,” and flew off.

Ruffled and angry, Draco dried himself and huffed the rest of the way to the Great Hall. Walking through the doors, he saw that it was mostly kids from lower years staying. Scanning the room, he took a quick estimate “ a couple Slytherins, a handful of Ravenclaws, seven Hufflepuffs, and ten Gryffindors. Yup, I’m all alone this Christmas…how surprising…he thought sarcastically as he stalked over to the Slytherin table. Settling down, he poured himself a glass of pumpkin juice and grabbed a piece of toast. While he ate, he looked around the room again. There were only a few professors at the staff table; McGonagall, Flitwick, Vector, and Dumbledore. While he wondered where teachers could possibly go for the holidays, the doors to the hall opened. His eyes slowly made their way over towards the noise, and then widened at the realization of who it was.

Make that eleven Gryffindors…

~*~*~*~


“What do you mean you’re not coming to the Burrow?”

“Ron, when did I ever tell you that I was?”

“Well, you didn’t tell me that you weren’t!”

“Oy, Ron, we’ve got five minutes!” Harry ran up to the bickering teenagers, pointing to his watch. He looked back and forth between the two, and upon seeing their red faces, asked, “What now?”

She didn’t tell me that she wasn’t coming to the Burrow for Christmas!” Ron said heatedly, pointing accusingly at Hermione. Harry looked at her.

“You’re not?”

“No, I’m not,” she said, still glowering at Ron, “I’m staying here.”

“But why?” asked Ron, exasperatedly.

“Oh Ron, seriously, you know me better than that! This is my last year at Hogwarts,” she said, and then her voice softened, “I want to make the most of it.”

Harry couldn’t help but smile at his friend and warmly embraced her. “Well, have a happy Christmas, Hermione, with whoever’s left here.”

Hermione hugged him back, and then turned to hug Ron. The train whistle blew, and the two boys ran on board. Hermione yelled, “Tell everyone Happy Christmas for me!” and they waved as the train slowly disappeared from view. She sighed, and turned around to trudge through the snow back to Hogwarts.

She thought about Harry’s words as she walked. Whoever’s left here… Frankly, she didn’t have a clue who was staying. She knew that she was the only Gryffindor seventh year, and there probably weren’t any six years that were staying either. She had seen Susan, Hannah, Ernie, and Justin board the train, so that ruled out any Hufflepuffs that she could spend time with. She didn’t have many friends from Ravenclaw save for Luna, who had animatedly told her just last night that her father was taking her on a trip to Spain to look for horned snigledopes.

Walking into the castle, she charmed her shoes dry and started heading toward the Great Hall. She hadn’t had breakfast yet since she had gone to see her friends off, and she was starving. Pushing open the doors, she walked to the Gryffindor table and sat near a fifth year that she had never spoken to before. While she buttered her toast, she felt a pair of eyes on her. Looking up, her own eyes widened in shock.

She had forgotten about Malfoy.

~*~*~*~


That night after dinner, Draco paced outside the Great Hall thinking about what he could possibly say.

Considering that we’re both here alone, would you mind...no, too formal. Hey Granger, I was wondering if we could…no, no, that doesn’t work. Ugh, this is so damn frustrating. Why am I even doing this? Why am I bothering? Why do I ca-

At that moment the doors opened and Hermione walked out of the Great Hall. Draco stopped. Merlin! Alright, it’s now or never…

“Hey…hey Granger!” Hermione spun around and looked at him. He hated it when she looked at him like that. She looked at him so expectantly, and it made his insides squirm uncomfortably.

“Er…I was thinking…do you…um…” She still looked at him, but a small smile tugged at her lips. She obviously thought this was funny. Come on Draco, it’s not that bad…you can do it.

“Do you want to hang out with me tomorrow? I mean you don’t have to, but seeing as we’re both alone for the holidays I was thinking…” the words came tumbling out of his mouth, and when he stopped he turned red in embarrassment. Hermione smiled slightly, and he eased a little bit.

“Alright.”

By the time that Draco realized that she had accepted, she was making her way up the stairs. Shaking his head, he started to walk towards the dungeons.

Holy mother of Merlin. Father will turn in his grave…





A/N: Sorry for the long wait for this chapter, but I was really busy (and uninspired for a while). Every time I tried to write I was like “ick” and backspaced. Anyway, I’m back now! I also have a one-shot coming soon called Paradise. It’s my first attempt at angst, and hopefully you’ll check it out!