Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

There's Always Hope by ravenclawslion17

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +



Snowballs and Strange Sounds


Hermione rummaged through her wardrobe until she finally found her blue jumper. It was definitely going to be cold that day, and that jumper was the warmest one she had. After slipping it over her head, she ran a hand behind her neck to release her hair from the collar. While pulling a pair of pants on, she stole a look at the clock. It was 8 o’clock in the morning and all was quiet in Gryffindor Tower.

After tying up her shoes, Hermione looked at herself in the mirror. Well…she thought, this is the best I’m ever going to get, huh? By actually being myself, that is. Her mind flashed to the time in fourth year when she had taken longer than any other girl in Gryffindor to get ready for the Yule Ball. She smiled to herself. Everyone had been so shocked to see that Hermione Granger, insufferable know-it-all, could actually look pretty. However, all of that beautifying took far too long for Hermione’s liking, and she had never bothered to do it again.

Her reminiscing over, she pulled on her robes, grabbed her cloak, and meandered down to the common room. It was empty, and she guessed that the other remaining Gryffindors were still sleeping. To them, 8 o’clock was far too early to be getting up during the holidays. Hermione, on the other hand, was usually an early riser even though she liked to sleep. Like her mother always said, “The early bird gets the worm!” and Hermione had certainly gotten the worm “ academically, that is.

Exiting the common room through the portrait hole, Hermione remembered how much homework she had gotten for the holidays. Sighing, she made a mental note to get started on at least two essays that night. She might even be able to get them done if she worked hard enough.

Strolling down the corridors, she finally made it to the Great Hall. Pushing the doors open, she saw that the house tables had been replaced with one smaller table. A few of the younger students and remaining professors were already eating. Hermione sat down next to a third year Hufflepuff, and cheerily said “Good morning,” to everyone. As she started on her meal, she wondered if Malfoy still remembered that she said she’d spend the day with him. Probably not, she thought. She was still uncertain about meeting with him, and convincing herself that it wasn’t going to happen was the best she could do to settle her nerves.

She barely noticed that someone was tentatively seating himself into the chair to the left of her. She mumbled a “G’morning,” as she took a sip of pumpkin juice, and didn’t even think to look at the face of the new arrival.

“Um…could you pass the marmalade?” asked the newcomer.

“Sure,” she said, and with her eyes still on her cup, she handed over the jar.

“So, uh, what were you thinking we could do today?” Finally looking up, she met a pair of gray eyes and choked on her juice.

~*~*~*~


Draco hoped that Hermione would still meet with him that day. He had a feeling that she’d change her mind, and he really didn’t want that to happen. So what if they weren’t friends; they had already started over. There was fresh ground, new insight, and hopefully, hopefully, she would be willing to give him a chance.

He could barely understand why he was so interested in her. She wasn’t very pretty, she always had her nose in a book, and she had memorized practically every fact known to mankind. She was annoying, really, but Draco was still intrigued. There was something else about her, something else that not very many people saw, and he wanted to see it.

Entering the Great Hall, he saw her tucking into her breakfast. The chair to her left was empty, and Draco took this chance with only a moment of hesitation.

“G’Morning,” she muttered, not really paying any attention to him.

“Um…could you pass the marmalade?” he asked, hoping that she would realize who was sitting next to her. Unfortunately, she still showed no sign of recognition and her eyes never left her plate.

“Sure.”

Draco was a little frustrated now. What could he possibly say to get her attention? Hmm…oh, that might work…

“So, uh, what were you thinking we could do today?” Hermione finally looked at him and her hand flew to her throat; she had choked. A bit of pumpkin juice spilled out of her cup, and a nearby Ravenclaw vanished the mess with a flick of his wand.

“Er…are you alright?” Draco asked, concerned. That comment hadn't been intended to affect her like this. She shut her eyes tightly and made a pained face. The gagging stopped, and her blood-shot eyes opened, meeting his again.

“Yeah,” she hacked once, and cleared her throat, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“So, Granger,” he repeated himself, “what were you thinking we could do today?” He grabbed a piece of toast and spread marmalade on it. After taking a bite, he settled back in his chair and looked at the girl.

“Well, I don’t know. What do you want to do?” she asked politely, avoiding his eyes.

“It snowed last night. We could take a walk.” A walk won’t be bad. It won’t have to be awkward, right? Draco hoped that he had suggested something nice. A small smile tugged at the corners of Hermione’s lips.

“That sounds nice.”

After finishing breakfast, the two rose from the table and made their way outside. It had snowed a lot the previous night, and the entire castle grounds were covered in a blanket of white. The trees were bare and snow was caught on their boughs, ready to fall upon anyone who disturbed the peace. The lake had iced over and puffs of smoke could be seen coming from Hagrid’s hut. Draco started to set out onto the grounds, but soon noticed that Hermione wasn’t by his side.

“Granger, are you coming?” he shouted. Turning around, he saw Hermione standing on the front steps still taking in her surroundings. Even from meters away, Draco could see her eyes glisten like a child on Christmas morning.

“I almost don’t want to ruin it,” she said dreamily. She smiled for one more moment, and then walked up to Draco with a bounce in her step. He was amazed at her reaction to all of this; it was just snow, wasn’t it?

Draco voiced his opinions out loud. “It’s just snow,” he said, somewhat grumpily, and continued to walk on with Hermione by his side.

“I know. It’s so beautiful though! Everything looks like a picture perfect wonderland. And doesn’t the lake look like glass?” She pointed towards the lake, and Draco’s gaze followed her finger. He couldn’t help but smile at her childishness.

“I suppose it does.”

~*~*~*~



She stood still among the trees, watching the duo intently. Oh ho, she thought, amused, he’s with that Mudblood witch! Aw, poor daddy would’ve hated to see that. She laughed out loud, but shushed herself as she heard the boy speak.

“Did you hear that, Granger?”

“No, I didn’t hear anything.” The girl replied, a confused look upon her face.

“I think it came from over there.” The boy pointed towards the forest. Scared of being found, she pushed herself against the back of the tree. She scolded herself for making such a stupid mistake. She had freedom now and she shouldn’t risk it.

“It was probably just some animal. Come on.” The girl beckoned for him to follow. After taking one last look, he walked away.

Breathing a sigh of relief, she quietly brushed through the trees to follow them. She still couldn’t reveal herself…but it was only a matter of time.

~*~*~*~


“So, Malfoy, what do you like best about Christmastime?” Hermione ventured, trying to start a conversation.

“Presents,” he responded simply, not even smiling.

“Is that all?”

“Yes.”

“You mean you don’t like the food? Or the decorations? Or the snow?”

“Not really.”

“Do you ever play in the snow?”

“Malfoys don’t play in the snow, Granger.”

“Even when you were little?” Damn, she can be annoying! he thought viciously, before he replied.

“No. Malfoys don’t play in the snow.”

“So you’ve never had a snowball fight?”

“No Granger, and if you ask me anymore questions about snow, I’ll make you shut up.” Silence. Well, that seemed to take care of that, he thought smugly. Trudging on, it took him a while to realize that Hermione was no longer at his side. Sighing, he turned around.

“Granger, where have you “ ”

He didn’t get to finish his sentence. A rather large snowball had found its way to his face.




A/N: There you go, Chapter Seven! I hope you all aren’t mad at me about our “Mystery Person.” All will be revealed in coming chapters, I promise! Anyway, I have a new one-shot up called Paradise. It’s my first attempt at angst, and I hope that you will all take a look at it! Until next time!