Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

He Made the Stars Fall by cor_leonis

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: The Harry Potter universe belongs to JK Rowling. I just like to play around in it sometimes.
He Made the Stars Fall

Larissa

September of 2005








He’d made the stars fall once, that James Potter.



Petunia remembers it well.



It was the first time Lily brought him home to meet the family.




* * *




Lily had sent a letter to the Evans household before the end of the school year, casually mentioning that she was bringing her boyfriend, James Potter, home with her. Though the family was mildly surprised at this announcement, it was obvious to everyone that Lily and James’s relationship had surpassed the stages of casual dating and adolescent love. Mr. and Mrs. Evans were eager to meet him, curious to see this boy, the one who’d caught the eye of their youngest daughter.



Petunia was curious too, so when her parents asked her over for dinner, she quickly accepted the invitation. Vernon would go with her, of course. He’d finally asked for her hand in marriage and liked to keep up appearances, even if it meant conversing with Lily and her wizard boyfriend. He wasn’t very fond of Lily, and the prospect of meeting another “weirdo” was less than appealing.



It didn’t bother Petunia as much as one would expect. When her relationship with Vernon became serious, she’d decided to let him in on her little secret. He’d suspected something was odd about Lily, of course, and Petunia was tired of dancing around his shrewd questions, so she told him the truth.



At first he’d thought she was putting him on, but as she adamantly insisted that her little sister could turn rats into teacups and had books with real photographs of things like unicorns and dragons, he started to believe her. After all, his lovely girl wouldn’t make up rubbish like that. She was much too sensible.



Needless to say, he was both flabbergasted and horrified. How could things like witches and wizards exist in today’s society? Absurd, he told her. Abnormal. Deviant. Freakish.



His poor Pet, having a witch for a sister.



Petunia had been quite relieved. It felt so good to have someone else who understood her point of view, someone to share her sorrowful, bitter secret with. That was one of the reasons she agreed to marry him, in the end. He understood her. He was like her.



And so Petunia and Vernon drove to her parents’ house dressed to the nines. Vernon liked to look impressive and was wearing an expensive suit and a tie; Petunia sat primly in the passenger seat, smoothing out the folds in her tailored blue dress. When he glanced over at her, she gave him a tight-lipped smile. He reached over one of his big, meaty hands and patted her thigh comfortingly.



“Don’t worry, Pet,” he said, fixing his eyes on the road once again, “if he’s trouble I’ll sort him out. Your parents shouldn’t have to deal with such a nuisance. Neither should you.”



“Thank you, Vernon,” she replied, thinking of Lily and what she would do if Vernon did indeed try to sort this James fellow out.



Petunia and Vernon arrived early, as was per usual, and after greeting her parents she walked inside the house nervously. She watched Vernon shake hands with her father and kiss her mother on her cheek and wondered if they truly liked him. It didn’t matter of course, but she liked to think that they approved.



Settling into the familiarity of the Evans household, Petunia felt the need to occupy herself. She surveyed the small bar that had been set up in the corner and turned to her family.



“Daddy,” she said with a pinched smile, “should I make you a cocktail?”



Her father nodded and grinned warmly, green eyes crinkling at the corners. “That would be lovely, dear,” he replied.



“Vernon?” she asked, looking at her fiancé.



“Please,” Vernon answered with a nod.



Petunia immediately began to scoop ice into glasses and pour amber coloured liquor into them. She could hear Vernon talking with her father over the latest football game.



Her mother walked up to her side. “How are things, dear?”



“They’re fine, mum,” Petunia replied, glancing over at her mother. Like Petunia, she was tall and willowy, though her blond hair was turning silver around her hairline. “I’ve chosen the colour for the bridesmaid dresses,” she said conversationally. “Pink.”



“Pink,” her mother repeated, sounding surprised. “Well, that should be lovely. It suits your complexion.”



Petunia nodded, capping the bottle and placing it back onto the countertop.



Mrs. Evans opened her mouth to say something else but was interrupted by a buzzer sounding from the kitchen. “Oh, that will be dinner,” she sighed. “I have to go check the temperature of the roast beef. I’ll be back to chat in a moment.” She reached up and tucked a loose strand of hair behind Petunia’s ear. “You look very nice, dear,” she said before scuttling off towards the kitchen.



“Thank you.” Petunia watched her mother disappear into the kitchen before picking up two drinks and carrying them over to her father and Vernon. She hoped her mother wasn’t planning on giving her the usual “be nice to your sister” speech. It seemed as though she was preparing for it.



Vernon and Mr. Evans paused in their conversation as she approached them. “Here you are,” she announced, handing each of them a glass.



“Thank you, love,” her father said with a wink.



Vernon took his glass and gave Petunia a peck on the cheek. “Thank you,” he said quietly. He paused to whisper in her ear. “Stop worrying,” he hissed, “you look like a nervous wreck.”



She felt like a nervous wreck. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt if she had a drink too, something to calm her nerves. She walked back over to the bar and began to pour herself a little brandy.



POP! A loud crack sounded from the second level of the house.



“What on earth?” Petunia gasped, so startled that she jerked and sloshed brandy down the side of her glass and all over the bar. Thankfully, her dress was spared. Running in from the kitchen, Mrs. Evans echoed Petunia’s exclamation.



Mr. Evans and Vernon also looked shocked, and Vernon was already rushing to the stairway. “D’you suppose something’s exploded?” he asked breathlessly.



Mr. Evans was on his heels. “I don’t know what it could be,” he replied curiously. “How odd.”



They were both nearly to the stairs when the sound of laughter echoed from upstairs.



“Hello?” Vernon snapped. He turned to look at Mr. Evans. “Burglars,” he muttered angrily. “When it’s not even dark outside. Bloody idiots, they’re laughing.” He clenched his fists and started up the stairs.



Mr. Evans, still looking utterly perplexed, followed closely behind.



“Dad?” an amused voice called down the stairwell.



Petunia froze. Lily. It was Lily making all of that noise. Somehow, she had arrived and gone upstairs without them noticing. The colour rose to Petunia’s cheeks and she chewed on her lip agitatedly. The nerve.



“Lily?” Mr. Evans reached out and placed a hand on Vernon’s shoulder, stopping him from going upstairs to pound the living daylights out of his daughter and her boyfriend. “It’s all right, Vernon,” he said. “It’s Lily.”



Vernon frowned and then, appearing to have remembered his manners, shook his head. “Right,” he replied shortly. “Of course. Upstairs.” He gave Mr. Evans an apologetic grin and descended the steps two at a time. Once he was out of Mr. Evans’s line of view, he gave Petunia a disgusted look. She slumped over dejectedly.



“Dad?” the voice repeated, only this time it was louder and was accompanied by the sound of footsteps thumping down the stairs. “Dad, hello!” Lily appeared at the threshold of the staircase. She looked flushed and happy; her cheeks were pink and her eyes were sparkling. Rushing to her father, she threw her arms around his shoulders. “How are you?”



Mr. Evans looked equally pleased to see his daughter and enveloped her in a hug. “Just fine, honey.” He pulled back to get a better look at her. “You gave us a start, that’s all.”



Lily grinned ruefully and wrinkled her nose. “I’m sorry,” she said. “James and I agreed that it would be easier to apparate. I haven’t quite gotten the hang of doing it quietly yet.” She stepped back and looked back towards the stairway. Petunia could see the shadow of someone descending the stairs.



“James,” Lily continued, “this is my father, Richard Evans.”



Both Petunia and Vernon exchanged a look before turning toward the stairway. A tall, thin man with a shock of black hair stepped down and extended his arm to shake Mr. Evans’ hand.



“Mr. Evans,” James said, bowing his head. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”



“I’ve heard a lot about you, James,” Mr. Evans replied, shaking James’s hand.



Petunia glanced from Lily to James. He was, she hated to admit, better than she’d expected. He was dressed in a pair of slacks and a shirt and tie, and though his tie was crooked and the sleeves of his shirt were cuffed to his elbows, he looked respectable enough. He wore glasses and had an easygoing way about him. The only thing that kept him from being handsome, she thought, was his hair. It was a little too long and very untidy, and she longed to take a comb to it and straighten it out.



She suddenly shook her head. What was she thinking? He was a wizard! Feeling quite guilty, she turned her attention to Vernon, who was clearly appraising both James and Lily. Petunia watched his beady eyes narrow at James’s rumpled appearance. Vernon liked things to be neat, he kept his own hair short and combed; a broadly built man, he had a demeanor that demanded authority. Yes, he was handsome in his own way, she repeated to herself firmly.



“Petunia.” Petunia was brought out of her thoughts by a hand on her shoulder. It was Lily. “How are you?” she asked.



Shrinking back from Lily’s gaze, Petunia nodded stiffly. “I’m fine. Vernon and I are engaged,” she added needlessly. She knew that her mother had written a letter to Lily telling her all about it.



Lily nodded. “I know,” she said. “Congratulations.” Both sisters stood quietly, looking at each other, and finally Lily gave Petunia a quick hug. “I’m happy for you,” she said with a squeeze.



Mrs. Evans walked up from behind Lily. “You both look so lovely,” she said, gazing at her daughters. “So tall,” she murmured, smoothing out Lily’s hair, “and that colour looks lovely on you.” Petunia surveyed Lily keenly. She was wearing a gold dress that was fitted and showed off her slim figure. She did look nice, Petunia grudgingly admitted.



“I call it Gryffindor gold, Mrs. Evans,” James said with a smile. He walked up to her and bowed his head, sticking out his hand. “James Potter. Lovely to meet you at last.” His glasses slid down his nose and he pushed them up, grinning.



“James,” Mrs. Evans greeted him kindly. “I’m so glad to meet the boy who’s making my Lily glow like this.”



James glanced at Lily and gave her a crooked smile. “She’s positively blooming,” he quipped.



Lily rolled her eyes to the ceiling and nudged him in the arm. “James thinks he’s quite funny, I’m afraid.” She gestured to Petunia. “James, this is my sister Petunia. Her fiancé, Vernon, is over there.” She nodded to where Vernon was standing. Vernon nodded in acknowledgement, looking grumpy.



“Petunia,” James repeated. He extended his hand to shake hers. After a moment’s hesitation she obliged, and was surprised to find that his hand was quite calloused.



“James,” she said stiffly. She half expected to feel something magical within his handshake, some sort of vibration or pulsing energy, but she was surprised to find that it was really quite normal.



James didn’t seem to be put out by Petunia’s frigid greeting at all and walked over to Vernon, smiling broadly. “Vernon,” he said. “I hear you’re joining the family. I envy you.” He glanced over his shoulder and gave Lily a wink. Vernon muttered something in reply, and the two men shook hands. Petunia watched them pensively. It was a little too long, a little too aggressive, and Petunia wondered if Vernon was crushing James’s calloused hand. James didn’t seem to mind though, and by the look of aggravation on Vernon’s face, didn’t seem to be backing down either.



Lily shook her head. “All right, gentleman, let’s call it a tie, shall we?”



Mr. Evans chuckled, and Mrs. Evans walked over to the bar. “James,” she called to him, “why don’t you have a cocktail before dinner?”



“That sounds great,” James replied, dropping his hand from Vernon’s grip. It looked quite red and Petunia could make out red marks from where Vernon was gripping his skin. She sighed to herself. Vernon always did have a thing about being the alpha male.



“I’m going to set the table,” she announced suddenly, deciding to distance herself from her sister and James. She was already growing weary of their company and knew she’d have to last the entire night. Perhaps setting the table in solitude would help.



Listening to the muffled voices and laughter coming from the living room, she placed the china on the table and carefully laid the silverware in the proper position. Though she loathed to admit it, James had surpassed her expectations. Both social and charming, he was much better than the other boy Lily had invited over. The sullen, pale-faced boy who talked about Dementors, compared Petunia to a dementor.



Did she really suck all of the life from a room?



She frowned and placed a wine glass onto the table a little too hard, causing it to wobble and almost fall.



“Can I help you?” a soft voice spoke up from her left.



Petunia looked up sharply into the face of her sister. “Yes,” she said after a moment. “You could bring out the butter dish and the salt and pepper.”



“All right.” Lily disappeared into the kitchen and reappeared a moment later, carefully balancing everything as she placed it onto the table. “So,” she asked, “how are your wedding plans going?”



Petunia sensed that her sister was trying to have an amicable conversation, and decided it wouldn’t hurt to be polite. “Well enough,” she replied. “The guest list is nearly finished and I’ve decided on colours, flowers, and decorations.”



“That’s good,” nodded Lily, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. Petunia half-expected her to ask about the plans, but she didn’t. “Are you excited?”



Petunia gave an irritated sigh. “Of course I am! When else will I get the chance to plan an elaborate party?”



“Or get married,” Lily said gently. Petunia flinched. Of course she was excited to marry Vernon. Did Lily think she wasn’t? Had she really seemed like she wasn’t?



“I love Vernon,” she announced firmly.



Lily’s brows raised in surprise. “Of course you do. I think he’s very fond of you, too.”



“He appreciates me.”



“Which is good.” Lily smiled and pulled out a chair, sinking down into it. “He doesn’t seem to appreciate me very much. And definitely not James, judging by the more than obvious death glares.”



Petunia shrugged, unsure of what to say. “At least he’s better than that other boy,” she thought out loud. “The one with the big nose.”



“Oh?” At first Lily seemed taken aback, but her brows furrowed and the corners of her mouth dipped down. “Yes,” she continued thoughtfully. “Yes, he is.”



“But he’s still a wizard.”



“And I’m a witch, Petunia,” Lily reminded her in exasperation. “What’s wrong with that?”



“It’s just not normal,” Petunia replied petulantly. Really, what did Lily expect her to say?



* * *




Dinner went better than she’d expected it to, and both Vernon and James put forth enough effort to remain courteous and polite, though it was forced on both sides. Mr. and Mrs. Evans seemed to like James quite a lot, much to Vernon’s disgust. James told them about his family, who were very old and apparently very rich, and expressed an interest in learning more about muggle football, which delighted Mr. Evans. Lily was unusually quiet thoughout most of the conversation, and Petunia noticed James giving her a worried look at one point. Petunia, who’d said even less than Lily, glanced at Vernon. He was so involved in his meal that he didn’t even notice.



It was getting late, and Mr. Evans was in the living room watching the game with Vernon while Mrs. Evans readied the guestroom for James, who was staying the night. James and Lily had disappeared somewhere, so Petunia offered to clean up the dishes. She liked busywork. Vernon thought it was a sign that she would make a wonderful housewife and mother someday.



She cleared the table wordlessly, reflecting over the events at dinner. James had really put forth effort to be kind to her, but she just couldn’t warm up to him; especially in front of Vernon, who’d likely have a conniption if he thought that Petunia was anything but irritated by James’s kind smile and laid back manner. It was even more difficult with Lily. Petunia sighed regrettably. Why couldn’t Lily have just been normal? It would make everything so much simpler. They could have a normal relationship with one another. Sisters were supposed to go shopping with each other…help plan weddings…watch their children grow up together…exchange private thoughts and wishes over tea.



Petunia just couldn’t do that with Lily.



She stacked up the dishes and walked into the kitchen, placing them beside the sink. It was very dark outside and the night sky was filled with tiny, glittering stars. As she waited for the sink to fill up with suds, she opened the window get some fresh air.



She heard a voice giggle from not so far away. Craning her neck, Petunia peered out the window and made out the shapes of two figures on the back patio. Lily and James were sitting on the ground; James’s arm was looped around Lily’s shoulders and her head rested on his shoulder. They looked completely at ease with one another, and very much in love. Petunia felt a pang of jealousy.



“He’s not that bad, James,” Petunia heard Lily admonish.



“I think that a troll has a better disposition, Lily,” James replied.



Lily laughed quietly. “She’s happy with him,” she said quietly. “That’s important.” Petunia sniffed and narrowed her eyes. They were talking about her, she realized, both her and Vernon.



James gave Lily a squeeze. “Are you happy?”



“Very.” Though she knew she shouldn’t be watching, Petunia couldn’t tear her eyes away. Lily leaned up and kissed James. It was a tender, loving kiss, and something in Petunia’s heart fell. Their love was so real.



As they pulled away, James nodded up to the stars. “I’ve got something to show you,” he said cheerfully. Much to Petunia’s distaste, he pulled out his thin, wooden stick”his wand, she realized”and pointed it up at the night sky.



Astrum cadere!”



To Petunia’s amazement, the stars in the sky began to blaze and fall like fireworks. Shooting stars were everywhere, falling down towards the earth with golden, glittering trails. She gasped in spite of herself. Never had she seen anything like it.



“Oh, James!” Lily murmured, echoing Petunia’s wonder. “Oh, it’s beautiful.”



James turned to her and kissed her on the crown of her head. “Just a little something I picked up from Dedalus Diggle,” he said lightly. “I knew you’d appreciate it.”



* * *




After they had said their goodbyes to everyone, including James and Lily, Petunia and Vernon rode home in silence. Vernon was rather angry that James seemed to be so popular with the Evans’. They appreciated his sense of humour and his genuine nature; Mrs. Evans had said so.



“I don’t like him,” Vernon said at last. “He’s probably put some sort of spell over them.” He continued to grumble about James, clutching the steering wheel tightly as he did so.



Petunia didn’t say anything for a long time. She wasn’t sure what to say, and her mind kept drifting back to what she had seen through the kitchen window. Without thinking, she spoke up. “He made the stars fall tonight,” she murmured. “Hundreds of shooting stars.” She glanced up at the starry sky. “It was beautiful.”



Her comment didn’t sit well with Vernon at all. “Made the stars fall?” he repeated incredulously. “Beautiful?” He slammed his hand on the steering wheel and glared at her. “Get a hold of yourself Petunia!” He turned to her, his face slowly changing from pink to red to purple. “He’s probably put a spell on you, too. Good for nothing freak!” He looked at Petunia as though he wanted to shake the spell out of her, and continued to yell nasty vulgarities about James and Lily.



His angry bellows filled the small car and Petunia shuddered. “No, Vernon!” she protested. “He hasn’t. I don’t like him!”



Vernon, however, was too enraged to hear her and continued shouting angrily.



It was their first real row, and all over a stupid wizard. Petunia twitched nervously and shook her head violently from side to side. She so desperately wanted to have a normal life, to have a wedding, to start a family. Her sister’s boyfriend wasn’t about to ruin that for her. How did she let this happen?



“He’s still a freak!” she cried out. “Did you…did you look at his hair?” she sputtered. She immediately felt silly; it was such a silly thing to say. Surprisingly, it seemed to calm Vernon down slightly.



“Yes, he did look despicable, didn’t he?” he said at last. “Your sister is a loon for going out with him. Then again, she’s one of them, isn’t she?”



Petunia nodded silently, feeling quite numb. Things would never be the same again, she realized.



* * *




Sometimes when she looks at Harry she thinks about that night. It’s hard to forget it. Harry’s eyes are Lily’s eyes, are her father’s eyes. The rest of Harry is James, and it worries Petunia because she knows how much Vernon disliked James. James caused their first real row, after all.



Still, sometimes Petunia wonders if Harry can make the stars fall like his father did.



She wouldn’t mind seeing it again sometime.






______________________




A/N: I wrote this story after re-reading the first chapter of HP and the Sorceror's Stone. It struck me that Vernon was specifically worried about falling stars, and that he immediately associated it with wizards. I decided to base a story around that idea, and this is what came about after a couple of hours in front of my word processor...