Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Legacy by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The journey through the floo network was always an experience, but not always a pleasant one. Harry remembered the trips he had taken previously through the network and it had never been like this. He started to get lightheaded as soon as he stepped through the fire in the manor. A vibration rumbled over his body making him feel as though he were being squeezed through the tunnel of fire.

After what seemed like an eternity of mild pain and dizziness, Harry was thrown from the floo network. He hit the ground hard and rolled over himself a few times before coming to a stop. He lay still for a moment while he composed himself. Harry wasn’t sure where he had come out, nor did he really care as long as he was out. Just then, two pairs of hands grabbed onto his arms and hoisted him to his feet. “Get off the floor, mate,” a voice said. Harry’s eyes had not yet adjusted so he couldn’t see who was talking. “It’s unbecoming a man who isn’t drunk,” said a second voice. Harry thought these two speakers sounded familiar: familiar, and alike.

Fred and George Weasley helped Harry over to a chair. He shook his head to try and clear it. He knew he where he was now, Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley. When he had regained himself, Harry looked up at the twins. “Hey guys,” he said. “What’s up?”

The twins looked at each other in disbelief. “Did he just say ‘what’s up’?” Fred asked.

“Yeah, he did,” George answered. They looked back at Harry. “You just survived an all out assault by Death Eaters, and all you can say it ‘what’s up’?” He reached out and smacked the side of Harry’s head. “I think your brain is fried.”

Harry came to his senses. He stood up, “Where is everyone? Are they safe? Where are Ginny and Hermione? Where are Kevin and Sara?”

Fred pushed him back into the chair. “Chill out, Harry. Ginny and Hermione are safe, but we don’t know who Kevin and Sara are. They students at Hogwarts?”

Harry shook his head. “No, they’re the people we were staying with. They didn’t come through the floo network?”

“No,” Fred answered. “Not through here anyway. They may have come out at another fireplace.” The three of them left the shop and looked up and down the street. Students were coming out of different stores along the alley, each looking confused and stunned. Harry ran a quick head count and noticed that there were a few students missing. He heard thundering footfalls from behind him and he turned to look.

From a dark side alley, which Harry knew to lead to Knockturn Alley, Hagrid came walking out. The Hogwarts gamekeeper was carrying two young students under each arm, with Seamus following close behind. He set them down when he saw Harry. “Found these two wanderin’ around down there,” he said. “Seamus here was nice enough to come with me to find them.” He patted the young wizard on the back, which caused Seamus to stumble forward. “A true Gryffindor through an’ through, I say.”

Harry was glad that all the students had made it to Diagon Alley safely. He didn’t want to think what might have happened if the floo network had botched itself while the students were in transit. Kevin hadn’t been joking when he called it a “chop-job.” Harry never wanted a trip like that again.

He suddenly remembered that he had left the manor with Kevin and Sara standing in the living room. He looked up and down Diagon Alley, but could not see if they had made it. Running towards Flourish and Blotts, he saw Hermione standing with Ginny and her older brother, Ron. The red-haired boy seemed worried about his younger sister, but his attention turned quickly on Hermione. “I just want to know what happened,” Harry heard Ron say. “One minute I’m sound asleep, and the next Fred and George are pulling me out of bed talking about an attack.” The youngest Weasley son noticed Harry running towards them. “Harry, where did you come from?”

“America,” Harry answered. He turned on Hermione. “Have you seen Kevin or Sara?”

“No,” she answered. “You were the last one through the fire. What happened before you left?”

Harry thought for a minute, making sure he had his story straight. “The last thing I saw was them standing with the dogs. They didn’t seem afraid or worried. They just stood there.” Harry thought again. “Kevin said he had some ‘unfinished business,’ whatever that means.”

Ginny jumped into the conversation. “Maybe we should find one of the teachers. They might know what happened.”

The three of them walked off while Ron stood still, puzzled. “Will someone please tell me what is going on?”

********************************************

Several candles were lit inside a room in the Leaky Cauldron. A tray of tea appeared on a table in the center of four chairs. The fireplace erupted with embers. The room stood like that for a minute before two people appeared out of thin air. Kevin and Sara Hall took a seat around the table. They took each other’s hand and waited.

For only a moment, they sat in silence until two more people appeared and joined them. One was a stout old witch with firm facial features and a menacing look. The other was a wizard even older then the witch. He wore half-moon spectacles over a kind face with a long gray beard. Professor Minerva McGonagall and Albus Dumbledore took seats around the small table. Kevin poured a cup of tea for his wife and the two older wizards. “Did everyone make it?” he asked as he took a cup for himself.

Dumbledore took a sip from his cup. “They did,” he answered, his voice soft and calm. “Everyone is safe, for the moment.” His words made Kevin uncomfortable, as if another attack were waiting outside the door. “I am sorry that we could not send help, but four more attacks happened at the same moment. Other safe houses did not have the protection that you were able to give yours. The attacks were much more swift and the Aurors had to help them.” Kevin nodded, understanding the old wizard’s words.

Professor McGonagall looked straight at Kevin. “How did the Death Eaters discover where you were hiding?”

Kevin set his tea down. “I’m not sure, but it may have happened during the attack on Hermione Granger. Dolohov had to have known who she was and whom she was most likely to run in to. It would have been a simple matter to search the city until they found us.”

“I’m just surprised it took them as long as it did,” Sara said. “I would have thought that Voldemort would have had his followers searching day and night until he found us.”

“We do not know if he knew Potter was there when they attacked,” McGonagall replied. “It is possible that this was simply a random strike, as the others were.”

“Perhaps,” Dumbledore said. “Of course it is possible that they were there for another purpose.” His eyes pierced Kevin.

“There’s no guarantee he knew I was there either,” he answered. “But if you want to call our deal off, I’ll understand.” He stood up.

Sara got to her feet, putting a hand on her husband’s shoulder. “Kevin, don’t jump to conclusions. Professor Dumbledore didn’t say anything like that.” She guided him back to his seat.

“Sara is right,” Dumbledore said. “Indeed, had I said anything that would make you feel I wanted you to reject my offer, I would put myself in for some time at St. Mungo’s. While we don’t know the specifics of the attacks, we can assume that there may have been many reasons behind them. Nonetheless, I feel that we should make no rash decisions at this time.” He pulled out his wand and waved it over the table. The teapot and cups vanished. “For now, let us be thankful that we are all safe and healthy. By the way, where are those delightful pups of yours? I am looking forward to meeting them.”

Kevin and Sara chuckled. “They’re resting for now.” They extended their hands towards the other wizards, who shook them cheerfully. “It was good to see you two again. We’ll meet you in a couple of weeks.”

They started to walk towards the door. Dumbledore cleared his voice. “If I may make one suggestion…” They turned back towards him. “In the future, please do not destroy property which was given to you so graciously by the Ministry of Magic.”