Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Legacy by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Classes were cancelled the day after the Halloween Ball. Whether this was planned or not, Harry wasn’t sure. Professor Dumbledore made an announcement at the end of the night, much to the enjoyment of the students. After the ball was over, Harry went back up to Gryffindor tower and tried to talk with Ginny. She was not in the common room so Hermione volunteered to fetch her. A moment later, she had come back down saying Ginny was already asleep. Harry was noticeably disappointed, but Hermione reminded him that he had the whole day tomorrow to speak with her.

He waited in the dormitory for Ron. His red-haired friend was taking Luna back to the Ravenclaw common room. Harry had just finished changing into his pajamas when Ron came stumbling through the door. “Never again,” he said. “I will never…do that…again.” He fell onto his own four-poster bed.

Harry had to suppress a laugh. “Was it that bad?”

Ron looked up at him, horror in his eyes. He changed out of his dress robes and climbed in to his bed. “Hey Harry, are we still having Quidditch practice tomorrow?”

“Yeah,” Harry answered. “Our first match is in two weeks. We need the practice.”

*****************************************************

Quidditch practice was thrown into question as the Gryffindors made their way down to the common room in the morning. A notice was pinned to the message board:

Notice to all students:
Until further notice, all students are to
remain in their dormitories. No students
are to leave until notified by your Head of House.


Harry and Ron stared at the notice with confusion. “What is this about, Harry?”

Harry shook his head. “I don’t know. Maybe this is why classes were cancelled. They knew we’d have to stay in our dormitories for some reason.”

“Actually, that’s not the reason,” Hermione said from behind them. The guys turned to face her. “Before I came back to Gryffindor tower, I over heard Professor Hall talking with Professor Dumbledore. He sounded really upset about something.”

“Since when do you start calling Kevin “Professor”? Harry asked.

Hermione tilted her head. “It’s a title of respect. I don’t think it would be appropriate to go around the castle calling Kevin and Sara by their first names.”

Ron leaned in close to Harry. “Talking to Marietta last night got her really thinking about becoming Head Girl next year. She’s going to try impressing the teacher.” Harry chuckled.

Hermione heard what Ron said and scoffed at him. “Well at least I am looking forward to my future. In fact, I am going to see Professor McGonagall next week about applying for a job in the Ministry of Magic when I leave school.” She walked over to an armchair where her bag was placed, picked a rather large book from it and started reading.

Ron and Harry walked over to a windowsill and looked out. The day was bright and beautiful. A cool breeze was blowing across the grass, heralding winter into the country. It was a perfect day to celebrate having no classes, but the whole castle was confined to their towers. Breakfast was soon delivered up to them and the students ate in angry silence. No one knew just why they had to stay inside, though that didn’t keep them from speculating.

A few second years had the idea that it was a test to see who would be best to be a prefect later in their years. Whoever followed the rules would be considered, whoever didn’t would be out of the running. Hermione, who stated that the teachers would never do something like that, dismissed this idea quickly.

Seamus and Dean were put off by the confinement, especially since it happened after such an amazing night. Ron made an attempt to ask Seamus if he would keep asking Hermione out after the Halloween Ball. Seamus smiled slyly, but said he probably wouldn’t. Harry noticed that Ron seemed to relax after he heard this.

The confinement continued into the afternoon. The whole of Gryffindor tower was starting to become restless. It would almost be better if classes had resumed, at least they would be able to leave. Harry had desperately wanted to use this time that the tower would probably be empty to talk with Ginny, but he knew better then to try and get a private moment in the crowded common room. It was also difficult since Ginny had not been seen all morning. She had stayed in the girl’s dormitory, not even coming down for breakfast or lunch. Hermione became worried and took some food up to her.

She came back down an hour later, looking hurt and confused. Grabbing Harry’s arm, she dragged him back up to his room. Neville Longbottom was still in there, but quickly left after a stiff word from Hermione. Harry was pushed back onto his bed. “What’s wrong, Hermione?”

“I thought you told me that you and Cho weren’t seeing each other anymore,” she answered. There was anger in her voice.

“I did,” he said. “And we aren’t. What’s going on? Is something wrong with Ginny?”

“Yes Harry, there is, and you are the only one who can fix it.”

***************************************************

Despite his pleading, Hermione would not elaborate on what she meant. Professor McGonagall came into Gryffindor tower in the mid-afternoon to tell the students that they were free to leave. When asked why they had to stay in all day, she simply told them that it was none of their concern. Harry quickly made his rounds to the Gryffindor Quidditch team, telling them that practice was after dinner. He asked Hermione if she would tell Ginny.

The castle was a buzz of students asking one another if they had any clue why they were locked up. No one could tell anyone anything. The Slytherins kept bragging that they had been let out of their common room hours ago and were enjoying the freedom of having the castle to themselves. No one believed them for an instant.

The students expected some kind of explanation from Professor Dumbledore at dinner, but he had none to offer. The students were not pleased with their headmaster that night.

After dinner ended, Harry led the Quidditch team down to the pitch. He and Ron had spent the morning going over strategies they wanted to work on. With the first match of the Quidditch season approaching, Harry wanted his team in top form. He put them through a rigorous training session, making sure to alternate the reserves in so they could get use to the maneuvers as well. The sun finally went down and Harry ended practice. He felt good as he watched his team walk back up to the castle, except he noticed someone was missing.

Ginny was still in the locker room. Harry took this moment to speak with her. “Ginny, you got a moment?”

She seemed startled to see him. “Not really,” she answered, quickly. “I have to get back up and finish some homework.” She started to run out of the locker room, but Harry grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“Ginny, please. I want to talk with you.” He pleaded her with his eyes. “For just a moment?”

She didn’t struggle as he led her to a bench and sat down. “Is everything all right? It seems like you’re upset with me about something.”

Ginny brushed her hair back and looked up at him. “Why would I be upset? Do I have anything to be upset about?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well then I guess there’s nothing to talk about then, is there?”

She got up to leave but Harry grabbed her arm again. “Ginny, stop. I’m trying to tell you something.”

Her eyes seemed to ice over. “I’ve heard all I want to hear from you, Harry Potter. There was a time when a simple word from you would make my legs crumble. I’ve grown out of that. I would have dedicated myself to you at a word’s mention, but you never saw me as anything but Ron’s little sister. Well I am tired of letting my feelings for you take over my life. I am through.”

Harry stared at her in disbelief. “But Ginny, I’m trying to tell you that I care for you, too.”

Ginny laughed. “Oh really. So I guess I was imagining it when I saw you and Cho practically inhaling one another last night.”

It made sense to Harry now. Ginny had seen the way he and Cho had been acting towards one another. “That was the last time that will happen. She and I ended it. I can concentrate on you now.”

“Oh, so I’m second place, am I?” Ginny said. “Well, no thank you. I have better things to do then be someone’s conciliation prize.” She didn’t let him stop her this time. She stormed out of the tent and walked back towards the castle.

Harry sat in the locker room, head in his hands. Where did I go wrong? he thought to himself. I thought that if I told her how I felt she would feel the same way. It’s obvious that she either lied about going out with Dean, or she stopped seeing him. But why is she so mad at me, just because I went out with Cho for a while?

As Harry walked up to the castle, he kept muttering the answer over and over to himself, all the while berating himself for not seeing it sooner. Ginny was mad at him because he had chosen Cho first, and he had said as much to her.

Author’s note: I know that you are all waiting for the H/G action, but I beg you to be patient. It will come in the next few chapters. Honestly, I never thought my story would go so long (and it will get longer) and I fully intend to get Harry and Ginny together soon. Side note: Ginny is not being controlled by any one or anything except her own emotions. I hope that I am capturing her feelings realistically.