Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Legacy by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Harry! Over Here!”

Harry turned and saw Ron waving at him from across the street. He quickly rushed over to him, before the crowd of students forced him to lose sight of his friend. The streets of Hogsmeade seemed overly crowded today.

It was nearing the end of January and Professor Dumbledore had allowed Hogsmeade weekends to continue, despite the concern of Death Eater attacks. Auror activity had been increased, and the students were only allowed a few hours in the village. Hermione and Ginny had separated themselves from the guys in favor of a girl’s weekend. This suited Harry and Ron fine, since they had decided to use this time to plan a Valentine’s Day surprise for each of their significant others.

Harry finally reached his friend. “What did you find?”

Ron led him to a shop near the edge of the village. “This shop deals in seasonal items, and the season is Valentine’s Day.”

Harry looked inside. He saw a sign that read,

Moonlit Dinner for Two, apparated directly to wherever you desire. See shop owner for more details. Hogwarts students must obtain permission for apparation from a professor.

“It’s a good idea, Ron,” Harry said. “But how are we supposed to get this to the castle? Who would we get to approve it?”

Ron smacked Harry on his head. “Who’s the only professor that has never been cruel to us, and is young enough to remember what it was like being sixteen?”

Kevin, Harry thought.

****************************************************

The guys quickly made their way back up to the castle. They were careful to avoid the cautious glances of Aurors, and went out of their way to avoid Professor Snape. The Potions Master was enjoying his new role as sole head of the castle defense force. He had made special arrangements, which kept most of the Aurors watching Gryffindor students. Snape had justified it by saying that, since Harry was in Gryffindor, it was necessary to keep that house under careful watch. Harry thought it was simply a way to make him feel like a prisoner.

Eventually, Ron and Harry found themselves outside Kevin’s office. Harry gently knocked.

“Come in.”

They opened the door. Kevin was sitting at his desk, looking over a piece of parchment. He raised his head and, seeing the boys, tucked it away in a drawer. “What can I do for you two?”

“We’re not disturbing you, are we?” Ron asked, suddenly nervous.

“Not at all,” Kevin answered. “How come you’re not still in Hogsmeade? You have until four.”

Harry walked up to Kevin’s desk and put a folded parchment in front of him. The professor took it and unfolded it. After looking over it for a minute, he smiled. “Where did you get this?”

“One of the shops in Hogsmeade.”

“All right,” Kevin said. “Tell you what, you two write down when and where you want this, and I’ll get it approved.”

“But it says it needs a professor’s signature,” Ron replied. “Can’t you do it yourself?”

Kevin nodded. “Under normal circumstances, yes. But, given recent events, any decision I make concerning students, Harry in particular, would be called into question. Don’t worry, though. Make a reasonable request and Professor Dumbledore will approve it. He knows how important Valentine’s Day can be for students, so he’s already making arrangements for you all to spend time with one another. If you want this delivered somewhere out on the grounds, he can see to it.”

Ron’s face turned red when he heard that the headmaster would know about his romantic involvement, but Harry just smiled. “Thanks, Kevin. We appreciate it.”

As they started to leave the office, Kevin called back. “Harry, can I talk to you for a minute?”

Harry turned around. Kevin suddenly had a serious expression on his face. “All right.” He turned back to Ron. “I’ll see you in a bit.” Ron left the office, and Harry took a seat across from Kevin. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

Kevin reached into his desk and pulled out the parchment he was looking at earlier. “Read this.”

Harry took the parchment.

Kevin,
Harry isn’t the target anymore. Voldemort knows that as long as his protectors are alive, the boy will have a strong defense. These protectors have to die before the Dark Lord will make another strike at Harry. Of course, if given the opportunity, he will still try to kill him. You and Sara are in danger, along with Harry’s friends and the teachers at Hogwarts. You’ve got to be on your guard.

Voldemort is becoming obsessed with finding the secret of immortality again. He’s even decided to start the same plan he used twenty-six years ago, but this time he’s going to an extreme even I never thought he would go to. He’s talking about using the Hogwarts students as stock. Be on your guard. Even with all the new charms in place, and the Aurors, he’s going to do whatever he can to achieve his ends.


“Who sent this?” Harry asked.

Kevin shrugged. “I wish I knew. The handwriting is unfamiliar, and I don’t know anyone who would have access to this kind of information. The only thing Professor Dumbledore and I can come up with is that someone in the top levels of Voldemort’s inner circle has decided to work for us.”

Harry stared at the parchment in disbelief. “What does this mean?”

Kevin reached over and took it from Harry. “It means that Voldemort has finally realized that trying to kill you head on isn’t going to work. He needs to get you away from Hogwarts, away from your friends, and even, away from your own wand. He’s looking back at every time he’s come to within an inch of killing you, and seeing what it was that kept you alive. Voldemort has to strip you of everything you have before he’ll risk coming after you.”

Harry sat in shock. “So, this means my friends are in danger?”

Kevin nodded. “Yes, that’s exactly what it means.” He pulled out his wand and waved it above his desk. A miniature figure appeared. “This is you, Harry.” He flicked his wand, and a bubble appeared around it. “And this is a protection that has been put in place to keep you safe.” He flicked his wand again and more bubbles kept forming around the miniature Harry. “For each bubble, Voldemort has another obstacle to get through. Each one represents Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic, Dumbledore, the Order, Sara and I, your friends, everything that has stood in between Voldemort and you. He now realizes that to get to you…” Kevin jabbed his wand at the outermost bubble, and it popped. “He has to get through…” Another bubble popped. “…each and…” another bubble, and another “…every one…” and another “…of these to get…” one left, and it popped “…to you.”

***************************************************

Later that night, Harry sat beside Ginny near the fire. She was working on a Transfiguration essay, and Harry watched her work with intense concern.

After his talk with Kevin, Harry became more afraid then ever. Not for himself, though, but for his friends, and for Ginny in particular. If what the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor had said was true, it was possible that Ginny could be in more danger then anyone else. If Voldemort decided to use the person closest to Harry as bait, then she was the logical choice.

Harry hadn’t had the nerve to ask what the second part of the note meant. He didn’t want to think what else Voldemort might have planned for his friends.

Harry leaned over and slipped an arm around Ginny’s waist. He drew her near to him and placed his chin on her shoulder, so their faces were only an inch apart. She was caught off-guard by his action. “What’s gotten into you all of a sudden?” she asked with a slight giggle. Seeing the concerned look on Harry’s face, she became serious. “Harry, what’s wrong?”

He gently shook his head. “Nothing,” he lied. “I just wanted to be closer to you for a moment.” Ginny put down her quill and wrapped her arms around his waist. She laid her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. The common room was virtually deserted, so they did not feel embarrassed by their blatant show of affection.

Harry rested his cheek on top of her head. I will never let anything happen to you, Ginny. No matter what happens, I will give my life to keep you safe.