Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Legacy by arus_knight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Over the next few days, students began arriving at the house. Kevin had been right when he said most of the students would be second years and incoming first years. Nine students had arrived so far by portkeys that Kevin had sent to them. Harry had been helping settle the boys in while Ginny dealt with the girls. Today, Harry was guiding a second year Ravenclaw and an incoming student to their rooms. “This is where you will be staying,” he said, stopping at a room. “Robert,” he addressed the Ravenclaw boy. “You can put your things over there.” Harry pointed to a bed in a corner. “And Trey, you’re over there.” He pointed to a bed beside Robert’s. “Once your settled, come on downstairs.”

“Yes, sir,” the boys said.

Harry blushed a bit every time a younger student addressed him formally. He walked back down the stairs. Sara came walking out of the kitchen. “Did you get the boys settled?” Harry nodded. “Good. Kevin wants to see you in the garden.”

Harry walked through the living room where he saw Ginny helping three second year girls with a History of Magic essay. She gave him a warm smile, then turned back to the girls. Once outside, Harry could hear a voice calling out. He followed it till he came to an enclosed area, with shrubs forming walls. Kevin was there with the dogs, whom were circling him. Kevin had his wand out. “Stupefy!”He shot a spell at Chris, who dodged it. Another stunning spell was shot towards Stacy, but she also moved fast enough to avoid it. Finally, Kevin’s spell connected with Lita, but it seemed not to have any effect.

“Excellent!” Kevin yelled. “All right, go inside and get something to eat.” The dogs left the area. “Harry, come over here and sit down.” They walked over to a stone bench.

“What were you doing?” Harry asked.

“Practicing,” Kevin replied. “If I can hit an agile dog, then a Death Eater doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Why didn’t your spell work, though?”

“These dogs are magically enchanted,” Kevin said. “Sara and I have raised them to be resistant to spells and hexes. We’re training them to help us fight the Death Eaters.”

Harry nodded, and there was silence for a moment. Kevin let it hang before he spoke again. “Harry, I’ve been getting the feeling that you have a few questions you’ve been wanting to ask.”

Harry sat still. “Well, there have been a few, but I’ve been a bit worried that they are the kind of questions you won’t answer.” He didn’t say that every time he tried to ask Albus Dumbledore important questions, Dumbledore would stonewall him.

Kevin gave Harry a pat on his shoulder. “Harry, listen to me. No matter how horrible my answer might be, if you deserve to know, I will tell you.”

“All right,” Harry said. He looked directly at Kevin. “Why is Voldemort trying so hard to kill me? What would make him abandon everything else just to hunt me?”

Kevin took a deep breath. “I knew this would be first. Okay, do you remember what Dumbledore told you about the prophecy that dealt with you and Voldemort?” Harry nodded. “Well, Voldemort found out about it.”

“But Professor Dumbledore told me that Voldemort already knew about it.”

“He knew about the first part,” Kevin said. “Now he knows the whole prophecy.”

“How?” Harry asked. “It was destroyed.”

Kevin shook his head. “You’re forgetting that only the record of the prophecy was destroyed, but the person who predicted it is still alive.”

Harry’s face formed an expression of shock. “Professor Trelawney.”

“That’s right. Ten days ago she went missing. When Dumbledore found out, he knew what Voldemort had discovered from Sybill and contacted me. I staked out your place until you and your family left and shadowed you to the zoo. The rest you already know.” Kevin stood and started pacing.

Harry was at a loss for words. He sat stunned. Professor Trelawney one of his favorite teachers, but he would not want this to have happened. “Have you any idea where she is?”

Kevin nodded. “Yeah, we have an idea. In fact, a few members are planning a rescue as soon as possible. We should have her back within a week, but there’s no telling what kind of state she’ll be in. Death Eaters can do some horrible things to a person.” Harry had seen what Kevin was talking about. “That’s another reason you’re here with Sara and me.” He sat back down next to Harry. “Anything else you wanted to ask?”

Harry’s mind went blank as he tried to think of an answer. “Yes…no…I don’t know.” He put his face in his hands. “I didn’t expect all that.”

Kevin laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “Yeah, I thought all that would be a little too much, but like I said, you deserved to know it.” There were a few more minutes of silence.

Finally, Harry brought his face out of his hands. “Thank you.”

Kevin smiled. “You’re welcome, Harry. Are you sure that there’s nothing else you want to ask me?”

Harry started to chuckle. “Yeah, there is one more thing you can clear up. I’ve been wondering this since we met. Why do you talk to your wand?”

Kevin had to think for a minute, then started laughing. “Oh, that. That was a diversion tactic. I was trying to take Malfoy off his game, and it worked. I purposely used a weak spell and made it look like my wand had a mind of it’s own. This let me get the drop on him later.”

“So you’re not mental?” Harry asked.

Kevin tilted his head up towards the sky. “Sara might say that I am sometimes, but being crazy can keep me from going insane.” A demented look formed on Kevin’s face, then he started laughing. Harry followed Kevin’s lead and soon they shared a joyous laugh.

Suddenly, Chris came running from the house, barking wildly. Sara followed soon with Lita at her heels. “Kevin,” she called. “they’re here. You’ve got to come.” There was a hint of panic in her voice.

Kevin sprang to his feet and sprinted towards Sara. Together, with Harry and the dogs close behind, they ran into the house and headed for the front door. Ginny and the other girls had noticed the commotion and rose to their feet. “Harry,” she said. “What’s going on?”

Harry shook his head. “No idea.”

Sara opened the front doors and turned to Harry and Ginny. “You two, keep the younger kids back.” She and Kevin headed outside. Ginny ushered the girls back into the living room, while Harry looked out into the front yard.

“What do you see, Harry?” Ginny asked.

Harry’s gaze fell upon the driveway where a blue minivan was parked. Sara was talking to a man and a woman, who both looked frightened and worried. Kevin was leaning over something in the van. Stacy was standing beside Kevin, her ears laid down as if she were concerned about something. Harry tried to leave the house, but held back by Lita. She had her jaws clamped onto the cuff of Harry’s right pant leg. “Let go of me,” he said, trying to shake his leg free. Lita, however, would not relent and pulled him away from the door. She dragged Harry into the living room, and Harry soon found out why.

Kevin came back through the door, carrying a young girl in his arms. She looked pale and her brown hair was disheveled. Kevin raced upstairs and, as he shifted the girl in his arms, Harry and Ginny saw her face.

Ginny turned as white as the girl. “Harry, that was…”

“Hermione.”