Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wine, Roses, and Blood by Facelessgirl

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer- Just so you all know, I didn't invent the characters. JK Rowling did... It's just my theory

“All men must die.” ~George R. R. Martin

“Red, I feel my soul on fire/ Black, my world if she’s not there
Red, the color of desire/ Black, the color of despair
Red, the blood of angry men/ Black, the dark of ages past
Red, the world about to dawn/ Black, the night that ends at last” ~ Les Miserables, the opera
______________________________________________________________________________

All men must die. Harry stared straight ahead, not daring to move. Voldemort no longer had his wand, but he did have the upper hand. Harry stared straight into Ginny’s eyes, those bright brown eyes that would blaze in determination whenever she was about to attempt something daring. Now, all he saw was confusion, and maybe a little bit of fear. That scared Harry more than anything else; Ginny never seemed to be afraid of anything. There was blood running down her neck from the knife Voldemort held at her throat. Harry realized he’d seen that knife before, but he couldn’t place where. It wasn’t the knife that concerned him, so much as the blood. It reminded Harry of wine and roses, or the color of his true love’s hair. It seeped down and was mopped up, disappearing into her black robes. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Harry remembered the lyrics to a song he’d heard somewhere. “Red, I feel my soul on fire, black, my world if she’s not there.” Thinking of it, Harry suddenly realized what he must do.
-------
“Do you ever think about what your life would be like if your parents had lived?” Ginny asked him. She rested her head on his chest as they both stared up at the stars.

“Yeah,” Harry said, playing with her hair. “I think about how great it would be if I could bring you home to them.”

Ginny lifted her head and turned to look at Harry. “Really?” She laughed a little.

“Well, yeah. I mean, when I was younger, I used to wonder what they looked like, who their friends were, where they worked, all that stuff. My aunt and uncle never told me anything like that, so I thought they were spies or something. You know, the kind that ran around and saved the world, went on secret missions, and had about a million identities.” Harry laughed a little, thinking about all the scenarios he pictured his parents in. Ginny giggled a little as well, thinking about how cute Harry must have been as a boy. Harry sighed and continued, “but now, I think about what it would be like to have parents like yours. You know, ones that actually cared about where I was and who my friends were. I would, I would tell them how pretty you are and then bring you home for Christmas or something.... My mum would say how I was right when I said you were pretty and take you inside to laugh over tea and talk about girlie things-”

“Girlie things?” Ginny raised an eyebrow at him and smiled.

“Yeah, like cute celebrities, recipes, weird things men do, or whatever the hell girls talk about when they’re alone.” Harry said, laughing. Ginny giggled.

“Well, what do guys talk about when they’re alone?”

“Quidditch.” Harry said, giving her a look like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Oh, I see.” Ginny laughed. “Your mom and I would probably compare stories about father and son breaking rules at Hogwarts.”

“I can see that.”

“Well, then what would happen?”

“Well, Dad would make some comment about how we Potter men like our redheads- oof!” Harry was cut off as Ginny smacked his stomach with the back of her hand and laughed. “And Mum would smack him for saying something like that.” Harry said, still laughing. “Our parents would be friends from working together in the Ministry, so they’d be able to talk about how their crazy kids were so perfect for each other, and we’d get together for dinners and stuff like that.”

“Mmmm... it sounds so perfect. I bet you’d even have little brothers and sisters, and they would sneak up on us while we were kissing and start making fun of us.”

“That’ll happen to us anyway when we go back to the Burrow. Fred and George will never let us alone, and you know it.” Harry said, laughing and Ginny giggled at the truth of it.

“You’re right. They’ll probably think up some new product just for bothering siblings when they’re trying to have a good snog.”

“I bet they’re thinking something up already, since Ron probably told them about us.”

“No, I told them. I figured they should find out from me so that Ron doesn’t give them some ridiculous story like he did when I was dating, well, you know.”

“Yeah.” Harry paused. “It was a good idea to tell them though.” They both laughed and sighed. The stars were beautiful tonight. Harry wished now more than ever that his parents were still alive, just so they could see the beautiful girl he was with. He envisioned dancing at their wedding. He would dance with his mum, and she would cry about losing her baby. Ginny would dance with his father, and he would tell her to send him an owl whenever Harry got to be too much. The thought of it made him laugh, but at the same time drilled a hole into his stomach. “It’s pointless to dream, though.” He said.

“What?” Ginny sounded almost half asleep. She was running her hand up and down on his chest and her eyes were closed.

“Thinking about introducing you to my parents. They’re dead, and no amount of dreaming will change that.” The hollowness in his voice surprised him.

“Maybe so, but they live on in you.” Ginny paused and sighed. “Can I tell you a story?”

“Sure.”

“Well, when I was little, my grandparents died.” Seeing the look on Harry’s face, she added, “Don’t worry, it wasn’t anything horrible. My Grandpap was old, and Grandmama just couldn’t really live without him... But I loved them so much, and after they died I would just cry for no reason in the middle of whatever I was doing.” Harry was surprised to hear a quaver in her voice, but it was soon gone. “You see, my Grandpap and I were really close. When he would come over, he always had a present for me, because I was the only girl, and it was always something that I could use on my brothers, like dungbombs. He said it was a way to make sure I had some protection against my six brothers. He would help me play pranks on them also. And if things settled down, we would have just Ginny and Grandpap time, and we would put on music and just dance. I was always too short, so I would stand on his toes and he would dance, or he would just twirl me. Oh man, I loved to twirl.” She stopped for a bit, but Harry knew enough not to speak. She was lost in her thoughts, and she was just so pretty when she was there. He found himself imagining a young Ginny dancing on the toes of her Grandpap, a man who somewhat resembled Dumbledore. It was a couple minutes before she spoke again. “Well, after they died, I was so devastated, I would just randomly start crying in the middle of whatever I was doing. It went on for a while, a couple weeks at least. So... it really wore on Mom and Dad, and they finally had to pull me aside.

“I remember sitting on my Dad’s lap as he looked me straight in the eyes and told me that it was okay that I was sad that Grandpap died, and he was really happy that we’d been so close, but Grandpap wouldn’t want me to be sad just because he died. He told me the best way to feel better and to honor Grandpap’s memory would be to remember the good times we had, but instead of crying, to laugh about them, be happy that I got to share them with such a great person. He told me under no accounts was I to feel sad about remembering Grandpap. I do, too. I think about what it would be like if he met you, what he would say, how we would dance at my wedding.... I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s okay to think about what your parents would be like. It’s sweet that you would want so badly to take me home to them. Saying that it’s pointless to think about is just nonsense, though. Honor their memory, but don’t forget the living. Your parents didn’t die in vain, Harry. They died to save you, so don’t forget them.” Ginny sighed and settled back down on his chest. Harry laid in silence thinking about it all. Eventually, Ginny’s hand went still and her breathing became even and deep. Harry just laid there, stroking her hair.

“I will never forget them, Ginny Weasley, nor will I forget you.” He kissed the top of her head. Ginny stirred and looked up at him. “I thought you were asleep.” Harry said.

“Yes, well, it’s amazing the things you’ll hear when you pretend to be asleep.”

“Ginny-”

“Yeah?”

“Promise you’ll never forget me.” She could see in his eyes that he had never been more serious.

“I promise. I will never forget you Harry Potter.” Harry kissed the top of her head again, but then Ginny moved herself up to meet her lips to his. The kiss was soft at first, then became more passionate as they both gave into it, deepening it with every breath. Their tongues touched, and Harry felt Ginny start to shake just the littlest bit, but she didn’t pull away. It felt like seconds, or maybe days later when they pulled apart and laid there, Ginny’s head on Harry’s chest, listening to his heart pound. A few minutes later they were asleep, to stay that way until morning.
------
Harry looked at Ginny, willing her to suddenly learn Legillimency and read his mind. I love you, Ginny, he thought with all his might. Forgive me. Ginny just looked at him, more terrified than ever, for she understood. “Red, the color of desire; black, the color of despair...”
------
Fleur was beautiful, but Ginny took his breath away. Her hair, the color of wine, was pulled up into an elegant twist, and at the top it cascaded in curls down to the nape of her neck and framed her face. A few strands were left free to spill onto her bare shoulders. Harry remembered just the way the skin on those shoulders tasted and struggled to tear his eyes away from her when Fleur started walking down the aisle. The ceremony was unmercifully slow and amazingly fast at the same time. Harry shamelessly stared at Ginny, but looked back on the happy couple every once in a while to see the important parts, like the exchanging of the rings, the kiss, and their descent down the aisle as man and wife.

“That was such a beautiful ceremony!” Hermione exclaimed as they sat at the tables in the reception area.

“Yeah, it was.” Harry replied, visions of red hair and a form fitting bridesmaid robe filling his head. Hermione rolled her eyes. “What?” Harry asked indignantly.

“You didn’t even look at Fleur and Bill.” Hermione retorted, but Harry could see she was trying not to smile. Before he could answer, however, Ron walked up and sat down. Soon, every guest was seated and eating a delicious feast, no doubt prepared by Mrs. Weasley. Harry, however, tasted none of it. Over the past few days, both he and Ginny had been much too occupied helping to get ready for the wedding for either of them to feel awkward around each other. However, after seeing her today, Harry felt much like he did for the past year, wishing for some time alone with her and dreading it at the same time. He started questioning why he broke up with her, but visions of her dead body at the feet of Voldemort always brought him back.

“Harry, will you dance with me?” A hand was outstretched to him. Coming out of his trance, Harry followed the hand up to its owner.

“Er...I don’t really dance. I mean, I’m not good. At all.” He said, not looking into her face.

“Oh no, you are not about to start that. I don’t care if you can’t dance, it’s my brother’s wedding, you’re my friend, and this is probably the last time we’ll see each other for a long time.” Reluctantly, Harry allowed himself to be steered onto the dance floor. “Wow, you weren’t kidding about not being able to dance.” Ginny jested after Harry stepped on her foot for the third time, then giggled. He was happy she was being fairly nice about it. “Look,” she said after a minute of awkward silence, “You have to stop this.”

“Stop what?” Harry knew the answer, but he feigned ignorance all the same.

“You know what.” She looked straight at Harry, but he wouldn’t meet her eyes.

“I-”

“You’re pretending like nothing happened between us. No, more like you’re ashamed of what happened between us.”

“I am not ashamed! I-” Harry started.

“You won’t look me in the eye, yet you stared at me throughout the ceremony. And don’t pretend like you thought I wouldn’t notice. You only talk to me about meaningless things, mostly what needed to be set up where. You won’t talk about what you and Hermione and Ron are doing. In fact, you didn’t even tell me they were going with you.”

“I didn’t want you to get angry-”

“Bull. You didn’t want me to beg to come along too. I know you want to keep me safe, Harry, but you’re being irrational.”

“Irrational?!” For once, Harry stared straight into those blazing brown eyes.

“Yes, Harry, irrational.”

“How am I being irrational?!”

“Well, why did you break up with me?” Though Harry’s voice was raising with his last couple of comments, Ginny’s remained maddeningly calm, yet passionate.

“To protect you!” He was annoyed she couldn’t see this.

“How is breaking up with me going to protect me? It’s just going to make me miserable.” For a second, Harry thought he saw her eyes start to tear up, but it was gone as soon as it came.

“If Voldemort found out that you were my girlfriend, he would use you to get to me, and you know this!” Harry was trying hard not to shout. The last thing he wanted was to have a row in the middle of a crowd. He got enough attention as it was, and he had a feeling Ginny decided to strike up this particular conversation in the middle of so many witnesses on purpose.

“Harry, he probably already knows! Snape and Malfoy knew we were dating, and now they’re off conspiring with their master how to get to you. Breaking up with me will make no difference.”

“If he uses Legillimency on me, it could make a difference whether he sees me with you or without you.”

“Harry, if he uses Legillimency on you, he’ll know you love me no matter what!” The words rang through the air as they both realized what Ginny just said. Harry could only stare at her, knowing she spoke the truth. After a minute, Ginny sucked up the courage to ask what was really on her heart. “You do love me, don’t you?” Fear, anxiety, and hope filled her eyes, and Harry knew he must answer her. He took a deep breath and considered.

“No.”

“Liar.” The word slapped cold in the warm atmosphere. For a moment, Harry was afraid Ginny might slap him. Why did she have to look so beautiful? Instead of slapping him, however, she gave him a look of pure contempt, turned, and walked defiantly off the floor and into the house. Deflated, Harry walked back to the table and opened a new bottle of butterbeer. After a few sips, he looked up to see Hermione glaring at him.

“What?” He said, refusing to acknowledge the fight he’d just had.

“Men!” She yelled, rolling her eyes. However, she took a deep breath, then looked at Harry in a more patient expression. Harry met her eyes and stared back. Finally, she said, “Go talk to her.”

“Why?”

“Because you lied.”

“How do you know? And besides, I’m just trying to protect her!”

“Harry, you know full well that Ginny is capable of protecting herself. She’s proved that many times.”

“I don’t want to take the chance of her dying.”

“Why?” He saw the challenge in her eyes.

He thought, 'Because I love her. Because if she died, I would die too. Because I want to be right.' “Because," was all that came out.

Hermione gave him a look like she was trying extremely hard not to hit him over the head. “Harry,” she said, straining her voice so as not to shout, “Ginny deserves an explanation. It drove you mad when Dumbledore left you in the dark. He was trying to protect you as well, but all it did was give you a horrible temper, and we had to suffer it. Don’t do the same to her.” Harry considered her for a minute. What she said was true, which bothered him more than anything else. He realized there was no way out of this and resigned himself to defeat.

“I don’t know what to say.”

“Say what you feel. I’m sure you’ll think of something since you wear your heart on your sleeve.”

“What-” Harry started to ask, but Hermione pulled him up out of his chair by the arm and shoved him toward the house. Realizing what he just got trapped into doing, Harry suddenly became horribly nervous and started trying to think of things to say. However, his mind was a complete blank. Before he knew it, he opened the door, and there standing right inside the kitchen was Ginny. His heart beat wildly in his chest. Her eyes were red, but she was no longer crying. She had that same blazing look about her that she had the day Harry first kissed her and the day he broke up with her. They just stood there, looking at each other for what seemed like eternity. Finally, it was Ginny who broke the silence.

“Why are you letting Ron and Hermione help you in your fight and not me?” Ginny’s voice dared him to lie again. Harry noticed her red hair almost made it look like she was on fire. Maybe it was just the burning look she was giving him.

“They’ve been there since the beginning...” It was lame, and Harry knew it. Ginny stood there for a minute, then slowly walked up to him, getting close enough that their noses almost touched. Harry could smell the flowery scent she always carried with her and fought the urge to kiss her.

“I’m your friend, Harry. I was there for you when you were fighting the Ministry, when you went to the Department of Mysteries, when the castle was under attack. I was there for you when Dumbledore died and when you sulked around the house thinking that you nearly killed my Dad. You know I can take care of myself, and then some. So tell me true, why them and not me? And don’t lie this time.” Her voice was eerily calm and quiet, but every word dripped with anger and passion. Harry didn’t know what to say. Rather, he just stood there, silent. The seconds felt like hours as the two just stared at each other. He realized she wouldn’t let him go until he answered, and the party was still going strong, so Harry finally gave in and spoke.

“They’re my best mates. They’ve had more training than you, and I couldn’t convince them not to come...” Harry dared not say what he truly felt, but his words weren’t lies, either.

“Well, try convincing me not to come!” Ginny challenged. “I have just as much training as they have! I was part of the DA, remember?! In fact, I could give you a demonstration of my skill right now if you wanted!” She pulled out her wand, but didn’t point it at Harry... yet.

“Ginny, I’m sorry, but I won’t let you come with me! You just can’t! I don’t want you in danger!” There voices were getting louder, but the sounds of the wedding drowned out whatever noise they made.

“Why not?!”

“BECAUSE I SAID SO!”

“OH THAT’S A GOOD REASON!”

“GINNY, YOU CAN’T GO AND THAT’S FINAL! IT’S JUST TOO DANGEROUS AND I DON’T WANT THAT ON MY CONSCIENCE IF SOMETHING WERE TO HAPPEN TO YOU!”

“HARRY, LOOK AROUND YOU! EVERY PERSON AT THIS WEDDING IS IN DANGER! HAVEN’T YOU SEEN MY MOTHER’S CLOCK?! IT SAYS WE’RE ALL IN BLOODY MORTAL PERIL! AT LEAST WITH YOU, I’D BE HELPING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! SO, WHY WOULD YOU PUT YOUR BEST FRIENDS IN HARM’S WAY TO SAVE THE WORLD, BUT SHELTER YOUR EX-GIRLFRIEND?!”

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!” The words were out of Harry’s mouth before he could stop himself. It was easier to keep going than to stop. “I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! YOU ARE THE REASON I’M NOT GOING INSANE LIKE I DID AFTER SIRIUS DIED! IF I LOST YOU, I’D JUST... I WOULD DIE! AND I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO KEEP YOU FROM DYING, INCLUDING ASKING YOU NOT TO COME LOOKING FOR A FIGHT WITH ME! MAYBE I’M SELFISH, BUT WITH YOU, AT LEAST I DON’T FIND MYSELF WISHING I WAS SOMEONE ELSE!”

“YEAH, WELL, FINE! GO! LEAVE ME HERE! I DON’T WANT YOU TO DIE EITHER, BUT HERE I AM LETTING YOU GO LOOKING FOR DEATH IN SEMI-HUMAN FORM! I WANT TO HELP YOU, DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO KEEP YOU FROM FALLING, BUT IF YOU WOULD RATHER I STAY HERE LIKE A POOR HELPLESS LITTLE GIRL, I WILL!”

“THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR ME WOULD BE TO STAY SAFE! WHY ARE YOU SO BITTER ABOUT ME LEAVING?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE FINE ABOUT IT!”

“I CAN CHANGE MY MIND IF I WANT TO!”

“WHY DON’T YOU WANT ME TO GO, THEN?!”

“BECAUSE I LOVE YOU, YOU IDIOT!” Her declaration hung in the air, and neither person wanted to speak for fear that it would be unsaid if the silence was broken. Finally, Harry risked it.

“YOU KNOW, THAT’S THE FIRST TIME WE’VE SAID THAT TO EACH OTHER!” He wasn’t quite sure why he was yelling anymore.

“YEAH, I KNOW!”

“WELL, I’M GOING TO KISS YOU!”

“YOU’D BETTER!” And they came together, their lips hungry for one another. Ginny pushed Harry up against the wall, but then they whirled around so she was the one caught by his weight and the wood. His hands found her waist and he squeezed her to him, trying to melt their bodies together. Their tongues worked furiously, as if the end of the world was coming in two minutes. Her fingers wound through his messy black hair while he worked his hands up her back. Eventually, they found her hair of fire, hair of wine, roses, and silk. All the things that made up Ginny. It was a while later, but finally, he pulled back and started kissing her neck. It tasted just the way he remembered. Finally, Ginny pulled back and rested her forehead on his, the two of them breathing hard. They both took in the other person, listening to their hearts beat in unison, pumping their life's blood together, before Ginny interrupted the life song. “I love you,” she whispered.

“I love you too,” Harry whispered back. “Some breakup, huh?” Ginny smiled, but her face was soon grim once more. “Harry, you can’t die on me. I promise I’ll be good and pretend like you don’t love me for my protection, but you have to promise you’ll live too.” A tear fell silently down her cheek. Harry brushed it off with her thumb and kissed her nose lightly.

“I promise I’ll live for you.”
-----
How did it end up like this? She was supposed to stay safe! She’d gone to school, just as he asked. Granted, so did he, after McGonnagal convinced him and his friends. Even so, Harry and Ginny had played the part of a broken up couple, only daring to speak loving words to each other when they were alone in the confines of a closet or something of the like. They were harsh to each other at all other times, sometimes even downright evil. They wanted anyone who saw to think that Harry and Ginny thought less of each other than Harry and Malfoy did. Once, Harry suffered the effects of being on the wrong end of the wand while Ginny shot out her infamous bat-bogey hex and had to spend an entire afternoon in the hospital wing. She laughed about it in public, but made it up to Harry later when they stole a few blissful moments together in the Room of Requirement. The only people who knew the truth were Ron and Hermione. At first, Harry and Ginny tried to keep it a secret from them, but Ron gave Harry such loathsome looks after Ginny and Harry sniped at each other that they thought it might be better just to tell them for their own safety. It was all in good humor, though. Both Harry and Ginny knew that every curse and insult was false, and it became a contest of sorts. They laughed about it in private and tried to think of ways to insult each other in growing creativity. But it was all for naught. Voldemort saw through it all when Harry flew to face him, after he’d destroyed all the horcruxes with the help of Ron, Hermione, and even Professor McGonnagal. Harry didn’t know how, but Voldemort succeeded in finding her and using her against him.

Harry and his friends were finishing their exams (it was amazing how he always seemed to show up just after the exams) when they heard of another attack, this time on Pivet Drive. It seemed Voldemort was looking for Harry. Deciding that now was as good a time as any, he and his friends left Hogwarts, hot on the trail. Eventually, they were lead into a trap at none other than Godric’s Hollow. Harry knew that Voldemort meant it to hinder Harry’s concentration. Brilliant, really, to try and upset Harry knowing that Harry was a sentimental person. It didn’t work, though. Harry was ready and more on his guard than Voldemort expected. Harry mused how Dumbledore always said Voldemort underestimated youth; if anything, his expectations went down after the young Draco Malfoy failed to kill Dumbledore. Know your enemies, or know defeat. Harry couldn’t remember where he’d learned that, probably from Dumbledore. They dueled long and hard, curses flying everywhere, stopping when they reached a house or a person. A few death eaters lay on the ground around them, some stunned, some dead. Ron was there on the ground with them, having been hit by a stray stunner. Hermione was no where to be seen, and Harry finally managed to disarm Voldemort. He held both wands in his hands, enjoying his victory and the look on Voldemort’s face. Voldemort just sneered and without a word snapped his fingers. Ginny appeared, tied up and unconscious, laying on the ground. Voldemort had a knife in his hand, and before Harry could curse him, he had it at Ginny’s throat. Harry watched as Voldemort pulled Ginny roughly to her feet, waking her up. He pricked her on the throat, and blood gushed out, spilling onto her shoulders.

“I found your little pet, Potter. And unless you stand aside, I’ll kill her, just like you killed my pet.” Voldemort sneered in a high, cold voice.
------
“You were funny today, Harry.” Ginny laughed. Her hair felt like rose petals in his fingers, her lips like wine: soft, smooth, and capable of rendering him stupid.

“Did you like that jape about redheaded tempers?” Harry smiled and kissed her softly.

“Why do I get the feeling you were being serious about that one?” She asked between kisses. He laughed and deepened the kiss. They were in the Room of Requirement. They’d absolutely needed a place to be alone today, since Harry was going to tell her that he was leaving the castle for what he hoped to be the final battle. They hadn’t gone more than two steps in the door before they locked themselves together and stretched out on the sofa that was waiting for them. After a few minutes of bliss, Harry pulled away before he forgot what he needed to say. Ginny sighed and rested her head on his chest.

“Ginny...”

“Yeah?”

“I’m leaving tomorrow.”

“What?” Ginny lifted her head to look at Harry with a raised eyebrow.

“Ron, Hermione, and I are leaving tomorrow... to go fight Voldemort.”

“When did you decide this?”

“Today. I would have told you sooner, but I wanted to tell you in private.”

“Oh...”

“Oh?”

“Yeah... oh.”

“That’s it? You don’t have anything else to say?”

“Well, what else do you want me to say?”

“I don’t know. ‘I’ll miss you;’ ‘don’t leave me here;’ ‘let me snog you senseless you sexy wild beast;’ would suffice.” Harry looked hopefully at Ginny and she softly giggled.

“Well, come here, sexy wild beast. Tonight is our last night together, and I want to say goodbye.” They were busy for quite a while, and the fire was dying in the fireplace before they pulled apart.

“It’s late.”

“Yeah. We’ll go in a minute.” Ginny closed her eyes and laid her head on Harry’s chest, wishing she could stay in that moment forever.

“Ginny?”

“Hmm?”

“Thank you for letting me go.”

“Harry, it’s like I said at Dumbledore’s funeral; I know you would never be happy unless you were looking for him. Do what you have to, then come back to me. Just don’t let it ruin you when all is said and done.”

“I won’t, I promise.”

“Good.” Ginny sighed and rolled slowly over, allowing herself to fall on the floor before she started pulling on her shoes. Then, she stood up and offered her hand to Harry. “You coming?”

“Yeah.” Harry took Ginny’s outstretched hand and pulled himself up. They stood face to face, not three inches from each other. Harry put his arm around Ginny’s waist and breathed her in. This might be the last time he saw her like this, and he wanted to memorize it all: her hair like rose petals, lips like wine, skin like silk. He kissed her softly and let himself say his last words to her, “I love you, Ginny.”

“I love you, Harry.”

They walked back to the dormitory in silence. Harry, Ron, and Hermione left the next morning before anyone else was awake.
-------
Once, Ginny read a muggle’s fantasy novel. She was bored that day, and she just happened to find it in the library in the village near their house. The only quote she remembered from it was the phrase, “All men must die.” It wasn’t earth-shattering, really. However, there were times when she remembered the quote and so many things made sense to her. It was okay that Dumbledore was murdered. He didn’t die in vain. He was old and he was ready to go. He died to save Harry, to save the world. All men must die. She knew that went for all girls, boys, heroes, and villains. She too, Ginevra Weasley, would die. Her parents would die. Harry would die. It would be horrible, she knew, to watch him die. She would cry, miss him, curse the world for allowing such a thing to happen, but it would happen, no matter what anyone did. Years would pass, and their lives would be nothing more than a few words written in a book, if they were lucky. Harry’s name would live on in books, tales, maybe even legends, but Ginny Weasley would remain the redheaded girl who loved a hero. No one would write about her. In the fairy tales, the damsels were saved by the man. Plus, they were blond. No such luck in this tale. Ginny would not be saved. She would die too. Whether today or in a hundred years, this would kill her. All men must die, so bring it on.

Harry lifted his wand and looked his enemy right in the eyes. For the first time, those eyes didn’t scare him. Red eyes. The eyes of death; the eyes of blood and hatred. "Red, the blood of angry men; black, the dark of ages past." Harry took a deep breath.

“Avada Kedavra!” All men must die, even beautiful girls. Voldemort lost the upper hand, and so he lost the battle. He would have killed her anyway. At least he could make it painless. Harry looked into his enemy's red eyes of defeat and smiled. Voldemort didn’t beg; he didn’t cry or even look angry. Instead, he laughed the high, cruel, mirthless laugh that raised the hair on Harry’s neck.

“I’ll see you in hell, Potter.” The last words of Lord Voldemort.

“I’m already there, Riddle.” The last words of Harry Potter, the boy who lived, until tonight. With a flash of green light, it was all over, and the most powerfully evil wizard of the century, maybe even of all time, laid dead on the ground next to a beautiful girl with hair the color of rose petals, wine, and blood. Hair and eyes the color of death. Love and hatred. Harry turned to greet the rush of Death Eaters with smile on his face. He would see her soon. He was vaguely aware of Hermione screaming his name as a flash of green light hit him square in the chest. He was right; it was painless. All men must die.