Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & The Silhouette Of Eternal Benevolence by JourneyJosh

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry wakes up after his latest duel a couple weeks later. By this time, Christmas is upon Hogwarts, and he spends it with his friends for perhaps the last time. During their festivities and happiness, the Order pays them a visit, bringing each a gift. They also bring in another member, whose presence may have a huge effect on the final outcome of the war.
Chapter 14 “ The Greatest Gift

The venom and exhaustion kept Harry unconscious for almost a week. When he had awakened, his entire body was very sore. He was also alone in the hospital wing. As he sat up, he noticed a number of cards had been left for him. Most were get well cards from the Order and other students. There were also the expected notes from his friends. The one from Hermione explained the aftermath of his black-out: Moody had destroyed the Horcrux inside Nagini and McGonagall had explained the situation to the students (leaving out the Horcrux part). Another was from Ginny, saying she hoped he was alright and that she wanted to talk to him. The final note was from Remus Lupin, telling Harry the Order had a gift for him this holiday season.

A chill flew down Harry’s spine. He looked outside the window and noticed it was snowing. Gingerly, Harry stood and walked towards the opening for a better look. The grounds were covered in a sparkling white sea of frost and snow. The lake had frozen over, and the wind was blowing modestly.

“You shouldn’t be up and about just yet,” said Madam Pomphrey. She grabbed Harry’s arm and led him back to his bed.

“Give yourself time to recover. It’s a wonder you’re still alive. If you hadn’t been an Animagus...I don’t want to think about what would have happened. When I got to you, your body temperature was way below normal, venom was coursing through your veins, and your heart had practically stopped. Be grateful for your friends. And do be more careful next time, alright?”

This final part she added with a smile before she left Harry to his thoughts. Though he was sore, he felt a surge of pride and accomplishment. After all, there was only one more Horcrux to go before it was over. One more obstacle before this nightmare would end. With a content grin, he leaned back and fell asleep.

A week later, Harry was released from the medical wing. Though he felt much better, his friends had not been permitted to see him while he was on bed rest. Now, as he walked through the halls, he noticed everything seemed fresh and noticeably more cheerful. The smells of pine and gingerbread flooded the castle. The Great Hall had a huge tree in it, towering twenty feet tall, and decorated to the brim. There was snow softly falling from the ceiling and a harp playing yuletide songs magically in the corner. Several students waved him down, and he went to speak with them.

“How was it down in the Chamber?” one asked.

“How did you turn into an Animagus?” asked another.

“Will there be any more DA meetings?” asked a third.

Harry turned and saw Neville for a brief moment before his friend gave him a hug. Harry laughed and returned it, grateful he was alive and well.

“There will be one more before the vacation time,” he explained.

“But we’re on vacation time now,” said Neville. “You were in the hospital for two weeks, and they let us go earlier this year.”

“Oh,” was all Harry could say in response.

“So are you really leaving?”

“Yes, before the start of next term,” replied Harry.

“Well, if you need any help...”

“Thanks Neville. I should be alright, but if I need anyone, I’ll let you know.”

Harry winked at his friend and walked away. The hallways had a different appearance than he remembered before. There was garland everywhere, and holly above each archway. Wreaths decorated the knights in the corridors. Some of these halls had red plasma covering the entire entryway with an inscription written in gold: CLOSED FOR PROTECTION. Harry remembered Garrison’s suggestion of closing parts of the castle after the Quidditch tragedy.

As he neared Gryffindor tower, he saw Hermione and Ron coming from another hallway holding hands.

“Harry!” Ron exclaimed. The two practically jumped on Harry in excitement. The trio was all smiles.

“How are you?” asked Hermione.

“Much better now,” replied Harry, looking from one of his friends to the other in a peculiar way.

“Apparently I missed more than I expected,” he said with a devious grin. Hermione’s face turned crimson as she smiled shyly and turned away. Ron put his hands in his pocket and looked for a window to give his attention too. There weren’t any, of course. Harry laughed emphatically.

“So McGonagall let everyone leave early this holiday?”

“Yes,” replied both Ron and Hermione, noticeably relieved the attention was off them for the moment.

“I can’t believe you did that all on your own,” said Hermione in her usual tone, hitting his arm. “We were so worried about you.”

“Oh, come on, Hermione,” said Ron. “Let him enjoy his success! I wish I could have been there.”

“I’m glad you weren’t,” said Harry as the three walked through the portrait. Over the next half hour, Harry told them of what had been going on since the Quidditch game. During his story, Hermione and Ron’s faces went from shocked to horrified and back to normal.

“But now that Moody destroyed the Horcrux in Nagini, there’s only one left,” concluded Harry.

“And that one will be the hardest to find, most likely,” said Hermione disparagingly.

“He’ll find it,” said another voice. Ginny had just walked into the room. She was dressed in her best clothes and had her hair pulled back into an arrangement Harry absolutely loved. She looked beautiful. Hermione started to walk away, all the while Ron was trying to ask Harry more questions about being an Animagus. After clearing her throat a number of times, Hermione whispered something in Ron’s ear before shoving him towards the portrait hole. Finally grasping the situation, Ron grinned sheepishly.

“Well, er, we have to, uh, meet up with, uh...who are we meeting again?” Ron asked Hermione. She rolled her eyes and grabbed his arm, pulling him through the portrait. After Harry turned his attention to Ginny again, Hermione whispered a short charm with a smile before exiting herself.

“Now that we’re alone,” began Ginny, walking closer to Harry, “how are you feeling?”

“Alright, I guess. I’m still a bit sore, though.”

“I’d be surprised if you weren’t.”

“So you heard me talking to Ron and Hermione?”

“I caught the end of it, yes,” replied Ginny, fixing her eyes on the floor and blushing slightly. She seemed to be acting odd as well. While she was looking away, Harry couldn’t help but stare at her. Never before had she looked this amazing. Her perfume was intoxicating, her hair flawless, and her shyness had captured his complete attention. Ginny looked up and met Harry’s gaze, which made him turn away. She giggled, while Harry ruffled his hair, trying to find something to say.

“I, uh, got your note,” muttered Harry after an awkward silence. “You said you wanted to tell me something.”

Ginny looked as though she wanted to say something, but seemed to second-guess the notion. Instead, she blushed even more, making her face almost as red as her hair. By now, Ginny was only a couple feet away from Harry. She smiled and looked above them. When Harry looked up as well, he noticed a peculiar plant had appeared and was hovering over them.

“Ginny, what is “”

Before Harry could say anything else, Ginny closed the remaining distance between them, put her hands on his face, and kissed him. Taken aback, Harry had to remind himself to breathe as he slowly realized what was happening. He wrapped his arms around Ginny, kissing her back, lost in the moment. The two stood under the mistletoe for a few seconds longer before Ginny pulled back, keeping her arms around Harry’s neck. She looked deeply into his eyes, waiting for him to say something. Harry smiled slyly.

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that?” he said. “I’m not sure I completely understood what you said.”

Ginny laughed as Harry pulled her in for a second kiss. As he closed his eyes, the room felt like it was swirling in the most magnificent way possible. His heart raced as his mind focused only on Ginny. With lips locked together in their warm embrace, Harry remembered back when he first kissed this girl in his arms. He remembered wanting her so much, and again he felt a tinge of guilt as his heart brought the pains of the Quidditch match to mind.

Harry pulled away, facing the floor and turning his back to her. Ginny put her arms around him gently.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Don’t do that, Harry. Talk to me.”

Ginny put her hand on Harry’s cheek and pulled him around until he was facing her. She kept her hand touching him and asked again for him to talk to her. Harry put his hand on hers, entwining their fingers. Her hand felt so smooth in his as he slowly pulled it away. This time, though, he didn’t let go.

“Ginny, this is what I want more than anything.”

“Then stop pushing me away,” she said with a smile, and tried to kiss him again.

“I can’t.”

Ginny stopped what she was doing and forced Harry to look at her. When he couldn’t meet her glance, she pulled her hand from his and crossed her arms, turning her back to him coldly. Harry felt even guiltier, and had to stop himself from putting his arms around this girl he had fallen in love with.

“You think I can’t defend myself, don’t you?” said Ginny, her voice unsteady. “Well I’ve lived just fine without you by my side, Harry. I’m still here. I’m still alive. Anytime someone has tried to hurt me, we’ll exclude my brothers from this, you’ve been there to help me. But in the end, we’ve fought together. When we stand side by side, we’re stronger.”

Turning around, Ginny faced Harry again, tears falling from her eyes.

“But you won’t give us a chance, just because you’re afraid of “”

“Afraid of losing you,” Harry said, cutting her off. “I thought I lost you in that Quidditch match.”

Now it was Harry’s turn to become emotional. While he could hide the tears, he couldn’t keep his voice firm, nor could he stop himself from shaking slightly.

“You were lying on the ground, covered in blood. I couldn’t see you breathing when I got to you. And I wasn’t there to help you. You could have died, and I wouldn’t have been able to save you. Don’t you see? If you’re far away from me, no more harm will come to you, or your family, for that matter.”

“But I don’t want to be safe, Harry. I want to be with you.”

Harry struggled with his words, not knowing what to say. He was unsure if he should confess his feelings, ask to start over again, or just walk away.

“If you really want us to be together,” Harry started after a while, “then wait for me. This is almost over. I have one more Horcrux to find, then I have to kill Voldemort. And I will kill him. Please, Ginny, don’t give me that look. I want to be with you, too, but I can’t risk losing you. Just the thought was too much to bear a few weeks ago, and I won’t let it happen.”

“If that’s your decision...,” said Ginny, looking away from Harry. She was silent for a time before she turned around.

“...then I’ll wait.” Ginny smiled sadly as she walked up to him and pulled him into a hug. “I’d rather be with you later than never with you at all. I choose us.”

Harry had so much emotion going through his body at that moment he didn’t know what to do. He was happy with what Ginny had said, but having this girl in his arms made him want to be with her even more. Cursing himself, he kept his thoughts on the future.

A few days later, Harry awoke with his friends sitting all around him on his bed. They were still in their night clothes. Trying to figure out what was happening, Harry sat up and grabbed his glasses.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“We wanted to spend the whole day with you,” said Ginny.

“That’s kind of you, but you see me everyday. What’s so different about today?”

“It’s Christmas, Harry,” replied Ron.

“And we’ve always spent it together before,” said Harry, still confused.

“Well...this might be our last Christmas together,” said Ron slowly.

“And we wanted to spend every moment of it with you,” said Hermione with a warm smile. “Happy Christmas!”

With that, Ginny grabbed Harry’s hand and pulled him out of his bed. The small tree in the commons room had several gifts under it that the group had placed there, as they were usually at the foot of each bed. They laughed and enjoyed their moment, sharing gifts and joys with each other. Ron and Ginny started talking about Christmas at the Burrow before they attended Hogwarts, detailing how Fred and George would find some way of embarrassing Percy and racing to open their gifts first. Since they were twins, their expressions would often mimic the other, which made the gift opening that much more amusing for the rest of the family.

Hermione told stories about her family and their Christmas. Being from a Muggle family, she had different experiences. Her whole family got together: grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and other close friends. Her parents would decorate their house, inside and out, with lights and trees and angels. It was a joyous time for them. There was even a time where her grandfather dressed up as Father Christmas and handed out gifts to everyone. His disguise was so convincing she couldn’t tell it was him until she was older.

Harry didn’t have many Christmas memories other than those his friends had shared with him. There was no definitive ‘Christmas moment’ he had ever experienced. He was Harry Potter: miracles did not happen for him at this time of year. Though he kept this to himself, he knew his friends shared the knowledge. He was content with that.

As the quartet was talking and laughing, the portrait opened and the Order of the Phoenix walked in. They were dressed in their holiday best as well, each wearing a smile. Minerva made a few chairs out of thin air with her wand as Alastor started a warm fire. Lupin was there, as was Tonks, Garrison, and several others.

“You don’t mind if we join you, do you?” asked Lupin with a smile, as the group sat down. Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Ron all sat on the couch facing the Order. There was an extra chair, for some odd reason.

“Not to interrupt, but we wanted to see how you all were doing,” said Minerva. “All things considered, you four are the heroes of Hogwarts. We also have a gift for each of you as a way of saying thank you.”

“The first,” began Tonks, whose hair was done up like a Christmas tree, decorations and all, “goes to Ron, for his bravery in battle, saving his friends, and being a source of comfort and strength to his fellow students. Happy Christmas.”

Tonks pulled out a small cage, wrapped in a thick material. Ron took the fabric off to reveal a young phoenix. Rather than the traditional red, though, it was a dark shade of green with streaks of gold and blue in its tail. Taken aback, Ron opened the cage door. The phoenix shot from its cell, squawking merrily around the room before landing on Ron’s shoulder.

“Why did you give me this?” he asked as he stroked the bird’s chin.

“You’ve never had an animal of your own,” said Tonks. “You were always borrowing your brothers’ rats or owls. Now you have a creature to call yours. You have to name it of course, but we chose a phoenix because it is loyal to its master, even past his death. He will help you whenever you need assistance, as well as never die.”

“Thank you very much! But I have no idea what to call him.”

The group became silent, each thinking of a name. Though several were called out, none seemed appropriate. Then Garrison spoke up.

“How about Aegidius?” he asked.

“Agidi-what?” replied Ron.

“Aegidius was a rebellious warrior in both the Muggle and Wizard worlds, fighting for those who had no voice of their own. He was a hero, and later called a saint. I think that name would suit this creature well.”

“Aegidius...I like it,” said Ron. “What do you think?”

The bird spread its wings and puffed its chest out proudly, squawking again.

“He certainly is talkative, isn’t he?” said Tonks, as the group laughed. Minerva stood with a smile and approached Hermione.

“The next gift from us,” she said, “is for Hermione. You have proven time and again just how incredibly gifted of a student you are, and have always been the most valuable ally to your friends in their time of need. This gift is for you. Happy Christmas.”

She handed a silver plate, about an inch thick and no bigger than the palm of Hermione’s small hand. It looked like something that was left over from making one of the knights in the school.

“Um...thank you?” Hermione said, sounding confused and disappointed. Minerva smiled and told her she had to tap the top three times while it was on a flat surface to see what it did. Hermione did just that, and was amazed with the result. The room was seemingly transported into a library, with thousands of books.

“What you do,” explained Minerva, “is think of a book you’re looking for. It doesn’t have to be a specific title or author, but a subject or word, even. Think of that, and the library will search through all its books to find it. What’s unique about this device is what it contains: every book ever written in the Wizarding and Muggle worlds. We included both for you, since you are Muggle-born. Some of these books never saw their words published. Give it a try.”

Hermione shut her eyes and thought of a book she had read several summers ago. It had a very distinct cover picturing a woman in long robes with her wand out, pointing at a mountain which had been lifted off the ground. Though the book was fictitious, it was inspirational, and caught Hermione’s interests. When she opened her eyes, there was one book, set aside from the others, right in front of her. She pulled it out and looked at the cover, which was exactly as she’d pictured it. Shocked, she opened the book and started reading it, remembering the story as she skimmed the first few pages.

The Order all smiled at her response to the gift. Minerva also explained that she could tap the surface of the plate three more times to leave the library, but she could take any of the books with her and read them as long as she wanted. Hermione thanked her vehemently as she walked back to her seat. Alastor stood and limped over to where Ginny was seated. She stood, waiting to see what they had brought her.

“Ginny Weasley,” said Alastor, “you have passion that is seemingly without limit. You also have a big heart. Finding a gift for you was not so easy, but in the end, we felt you should have this. Happy Christmas.”

Alastor pulled out a necklace in the shape of a Pegasus. It was polished gold, and had a light that seemed to radiate from within the stone itself. Ginny pulled her hair back and put the necklace on. After she did, she admired it in her hand.

“This necklace is one of a very few ever made. The stone used to make it is very rare, and has a power unlike any other. It was found in the shape you see, the winged horse. While wearing this necklace close to your heart, you can ascertain the location of any person you think about. They could be on the other side of the world, or in the next room, but the necklace will find them and show you where they are. Since you care so much about your friends and family, we thought it best to give you such a gift.”

Ginny tried to think of her parents, and closed her eyes. After a few seconds of blackness, she could see herself almost floating over a vast distance until she arrived at the Burrow. She saw her parents with Fred and George around their own Christmas tree. The vision was so clear she felt she was standing there with them. When she opened her eyes, she saw the Order and her friends again.

“Thank you!” she exclaimed, giving Alastor a hug. He patted her shoulder, not knowing how else to react. When Ginny let go, he returned to his seat. Harry stood, knowing he was next. He became discouraged, though, as the Order became very serious.

“There is nothing more we here can give you, Harry,” said Remus. “You have been a gift for us to teach and watch as you progress in your abilities. Yet in terms of gifts, as you have lost so much, we were unable to find anything. However, there is someone who I believe can offer you something you greatly desire.”

Harry’s face went from downcast to intrigued in a matter of seconds, wondering who this mystery person was.

“It took several months of searching to track him down, and this will actually be our first meeting with him, the same as yours. Harry, I’d like you to meet Aberforth Dumbledore, long time member of the Order of the Phoenix and brother to Albus Dumbledore.”

As the room turned its attention to the portrait, a man stepped into the light. He was tall, almost the exact height of Albus. He was also older, long grey hair and a longer beard. Though he was thin, he had an aura about him which denoted power and wisdom. Harry stood in respect as Aberforth approached him and his friends. Alastor stood as well.

“It’s been a while,” he said shortly, shaking hands with the older man.

“Indeed,” was his simple reply as he continued towards Harry. He was carrying a thin package under his arm, which he placed gently on the floor to shake Harry’s hand.

“Many years I have waited for this moment,” he began in a deep-toned Irish accent. “It’s not every day when a man meets a legend. I have been fortunate enough to meet two other than you, and they were truly great men. My brother was one. The other is the man you will be facing in the future.”

“You’ve met Voldemort?” asked Harry.

“I met him before he was powerful...and afterwards as well. A rather unfortunate thing to say, but true nonetheless.

“Now I understand this is our first meeting, and it is not customary in this day and age to bring a gift upon initial introductions. However, in an older time, which perhaps may reoccur, it was a custom. Thus I present to you this gift.”

Harry looked eagerly at the parcel on the ground. After a pause, he looked back up at Aberforth, who had a bemused look on his face.

“I’ll get to that in a moment, young man.”

“Sorry,” said Harry.

“There’s no need for apology,” Aberforth chuckled. “The gift is actually an invitation which you have the power to turn down if you choose. As I have been told, you have undergone some special training in the Dark Arts and Healing this past term. Have I heard correctly?”

“Yes, Professor Garrison and Professor Moody have been taking me aside for several months now.”

“And you have done well, from what I hear. The Ministry of Magic has also been given reports of this training, as they have a keen interest in you and the Prophecy you are involved in, which I know of from my brother. Once word reached the Ministry about your decision to leave Hogwarts, they contacted me and asked if I would personally invite you to join them.”

Harry could not keep his face from looking as shocked as ever. Could this really be happening? First becoming a member of the Order of the Phoenix, and now this!

“If you will it so, henceforth you will be known as Harry Potter, the Auror, on the condition that the Aurors at the Ministry complete your training in the stead of your instructors here. While you are formidable, there is still much to learn. We can do that at an accelerated rate in comparison to Hogwarts, as well as show you things that cannot be shown in a school. Do you accept this invitation? Think on it for a moment before you answer.”

Though Harry knew his answer immediately, he thought of the possibilities. Without the Aurors behind him, it would take a miracle to find the final Horcrux, let alone Voldemort. With them, he could have their help not only in his search, but against the Dark Lord himself. He would also have the job he had wanted for many years. Looking towards his instructors, he saw their encouraging and proud smiles. His friends shared their expressions, and his decision was made.

“I accept,” Harry said confidently.

“Excellent! I was hoping for such a response. There is one more gift I have for you, as you noticed upon my entrance. This will forever hang on the walls of the Headmaster’s office, where it truly belongs. However, its first appearance will be to you personally, as no doubt you have many uncertain feelings for the future.”

“As well he should, Aberforth,” said a voice that sounded all too familiar. Aberforth smiled as he picked up the parcel and lifted the sheet covering it to reveal a canvas with none other than Albus Dumbledore!

“Professor!” Harry shouted, echoed by his friends and the members of the Order.
“Yes, Harry, your eyes do not deceive you. I take it you received my letter from Fawkes?”

“Yes, I did,” replied Harry. “It helped a lot.”

“Have you had any luck with the last portion of it?”

“Erm, not so much.”

“There is still time, so do not panic. I need you to do something for me, Harry. Do you recall the room beyond the library where we once had a conversation during your first year?”

“Yes,” Harry responded after searching his memories for a time.

“I would be very grateful if you would revisit that room before you leave these grounds. This is a most dangerous time for you. Listen well to the Aurors, as they will help you find your way. Many things lie in your path that only you can overcome. Keep those you trust close, yet never lose sight of what is at stake. The time is near for the final battle. You must be prepared for anything. If you should ever need my counsel, you can go into Professor McGonagall’s office. She will see to it that you always have the password. Best wishes, Harry.”

Aberforth put the sheet over the canvas shortly after their conversation before saying his goodbyes and walking out of the portrait hole. Remus assured Harry that Aberforth would be at his side for his training to provide his own counsel and advice. A few minutes later, the Order left as well, leaving Harry and his friends to themselves. Though the next week was enjoyable, Harry felt as though a large burden was left on him that would not leave, and it always seemed to be strongest when he was having the most excitement. When the rest of the students began to arrive, Harry knew his time at Hogwarts was over.

Walking through the stone corridors one last time, Harry took it all in: the knights in their armor along the sides of the hallways; the Great Hall, with its tables prepared for the first feast of the spring term and the enchanted ceiling reflecting the cloudy sky with glimmers of sunlight highlighting the room in a warm glow; the medical wing, with Madam Pomfrey attending the latest victims of holiday overeating; Snape’s dungeon; the Dark Arts room, where Moody was resting in his own office; the gargoyles leading to Dumbledore’s old quarters, in which so many of his memories lay; looking out of a window, he saw the green pastures of what was formerly the Quidditch field, the White Tomb, and further to his right, the Forbidden Forest, which brought a smile to his face. There was one more place he had to visit, to keep his promise to Dumbledore.

He found his way through the library, passing several students as he walked into the Restricted Section. He briskly journeyed to the room beyond that section, where he once beheld a treasure to him that was taken away. As he searched the room, he noticed a giant structure with a canvas over it. He pulled the canvas away to reveal that same treasure: the Mirror of Erised.

He approached the mirror, knowing the story of a man content with himself and the image it would show. When he walked up to it, however, his heart leapt. It was not just him, but his parents. His family was there, as well as his friends. Dumbledore and Sirius were there as well, smiling. The Order of the Phoenix stood in the foreground, confident expressions on their faces. Even Cedric Diggory was present. Harry stood staring for a long time, engraving the image permanently in his mind. This would most likely be the last time he would ever see them again. Breathing deeply, he threw the sheet back over the mirror and exited the library. Finally, after his last tour of the school, he approached the Fat Lady’s portrait leading back to his dormitory. The woman was crying.

“It’s been grand, my boy,” she sobbed. “It really has. Do be careful once you’re gone. We’ll miss you.”

This last statement was echoed many times as Harry looked all around him. Every portrait character had gathered in that very hallway to wish him farewell. He looked several stories high, seeing thousands of people he had seen over the course of seven years. Many of the canvases had ten or more people in them so all could see him off. He smiled and waved, thanking them for their good-byes. As he turned around, he nearly fell down the stairs from shock. Nearly-Headless Nick was right there for the same purpose.

“I say, dear boy,” he said in his comical tone, “you really must get used to my entrances. It’s been how long now?”

“Sorry,” Harry muttered, his hand making sure he still had a pulse. “Nick...thanks for your help while I’ve been here.”

“You have much to be thankful for, Harry, and I should say my little quirks are at the bottom of that ever-elongating list. If things...don’t turn out the way you plan, perhaps you could return to the castle and keep me company for the next few hundred years or so. The Baron, though amusing at times, can be a bore, and the other ghosts “”

“Thanks, Nick, but I think I’d prefer to rest if things don’t go as planned. I’ll see you around.”

Harry walked around the specter and through the portrait. His friends were all standing in a line to his left as well as the Order. The line ended where his luggage was, packed the previous night. As he walked down the line of professors and Order members, each gave him well-wishings and advice. Several gave him a hug, while others shook his hand. Each had tears in their eyes. At the end of the line were the friends that made Harry almost change his mind.

Neville was first. He seemed to want to say something, but words were failing him. Harry shook his hand, giving him as much of a smile as he could. Ginny was next, and she held him in her arms as tight as she could.

“I’ll be waiting,” she whispered fiercely, kissing his cheek before pulling away. Harry locked eyes with her and nodded, his smile already fading. Hermione also gave him a hug, encouraging him to write to her as often as possible and telling him Hogwarts would never be the same with him gone.

Harry’s smile, voice, and strength had left him by the time he reached the last person in line; his first friend. His best friend. Both seemed to glance around the room uncomfortably, not wishing to say their farewells. When they finally faced one another, Harry extended his hand. Ron pushed past it into a hug. He pulled away a moment later with a determined look on his face.

“We started this thing together. All these years, we’ve fought side by side. I look forward to finishing this next to you when the time comes. I’ll be there, I promise.”

Harry nodded, grateful for his friend’s loyalty and determination. The two shook hands firmly before Harry felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned and saw Aberforth leading him towards the parcels he had packed away. His friends behind him, Harry stood at his full height and walked forward, shrinking his bags to fit into his pocket as he went. He did not look back. There was no need. He would return. His friends would see him again. Not friends, Harry thought, the hint of a smile resurrecting on his face, family.