Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & The Silhouette Of Eternal Benevolence by JourneyJosh

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry becomes a Member of the Order of the Phoenix and is brought up to speed with what they've been doing. The past of the Order is revealed as Harry informs the Order of his mission. He also learns about some interesting new changes taking place this year at Hogwarts.
Disclaimer: I do not own, nor am I associated with anything to do with Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, or any of the cast members of the movies.



Apparating from location to location, led by the vigilant Mad-Eye Moody, the group finally made it to number twelve, Grimmauld Place later that evening. Arthur decided to check on something at the Ministry and left after they had finished lunch. It was quite the group to see. Tonks decided to have a little bit of fun with some Muggle babies by changing her hair and making funny faces. As they entered the House of Black, Harry was once again overcome with emotion and sadness. He now knew about his parents, he’d known about Sirius, and he’d seen both places where the Order had met. He knew the story of the Order, and was certainly about to learn more.

Everyone walked into the dining area, and sat down. Already present were Minerva McGonagall, Rufus Scrimgeour, and Horace Slughorn. Ron and Hermione were right at Harry’s side as he faced the Order. He remembered when Kingsley used to be in this room, as had Dumbledore, Sirius, and Snape. The thought of his old Potions professor infuriated Harry, as memory after memory returned to him when he had the chance of stopping the events of last year, and he didn’t. He secretly promised himself that he would indeed meet the Potions master once more, and in that moment, he would seek revenge from the man who took away so much from him. After all, it was Snape who had been the cause of his scar, his parents’ deaths, Sirius’ death, and Dumbledore’s as well. He had a lot to talk about with Snape: quite a lot, for that matter!

“Are you ready, Harry?” asked Remus, bringing Harry back to the present.

“Yes, err, I suppose,” Harry stammered, not quite sure what to expect. “What exactly is going to happen?”

“Well, as we told you at Godric’s Hollow, it’s about time you became a member of the Order of the Phoenix. We’ve been discussing it for some time, and feel that you have met the requirements for being a member in many ways. First, a member of the Order can have no fear in the presence of darkness or danger. You have more than demonstrated this since you walked in to Hogwarts. After all, it was you who headed up a Defense Against the Dark Arts club at Hogwarts. It is you who has faced Voldemort on three separate occasions and lived. And it is the heart of your family that beats in your body, making you just as strong and wise as your parents. Henceforth, you will be a member of the Order of the Phoenix, if you swear to stay loyal, protect all members, and any information learned has to be told to the rest of us. Do you agree, Harry?”

“Yes, I agree,” Harry said with confidence. He was not going to be alone in this fight after all, and that was a comforting thought.

“First of all, Mr. Potter,” Minerva started, “I must ask you to divulge to the Order as to what you and Professor Dumbledore were doing last year, and why you left on...that evening.” It was still a difficult task in living without Dumbledore for every person in that house, and silence followed this question, both out of respect and curiosity of Harry’s answer.

Harry took a deep breath and started from the beginning, telling them about the Prophecy. He realized they did not know nearly as much as they needed to know, and this information was vital for them to comprehend. He told them as much as possible. It was a long story, and with as many gaps as the Order had in their information, it took Harry a very long time to finish. Every eye was on him, and many had fear in their hearts. A fear that grew the further Harry went with the story. He brought up the fact that Snape was responsible for his parents’ deaths, as it was he who heard the first part of the Prophecy. He continued to the investigations he and Dumbledore conducted over the past year, exploring Voldemort’s past. The cave, the orphanage, even the memories from Slughorn (who finally realized that Harry had seen the memory of the Horcruxes and silently cursed himself for allowing it...or did he, he pondered) were all told as Harry drew to the ultimate truth: it would boil down to just him and Voldemort, one on one, but unless he had destroyed the other Horcruxes, he could not defeat the Dark Lord. Even more silence followed this final statement as Harry took a seat at the table and looked at the faces of the Order members, and his friends.

Ron and Hermione knew most of what he’d said, but the gravity of his predicament finally hit them fully, and they both looked scared for Harry. As much fear as they had in their faces, Mrs. Weasley had triple the amount. She couldn’t bear to lose Harry. He was one of the family! She told herself to tell Arthur as soon as he arrived from work. The remainder of the Order was in shock. The information just given to them by Harry filled in the gaps of the story they just told him! And if this was true, then it was a good thing Harry was now a member of the Order: otherwise, their cause was almost worthless!

“So what you’re saying,” began Moody, “is that, after each killing on his first run, Voldemort created a Horcrux, and that’s how he became stronger?”

“Yes,” replied Harry, vividly remembering this same conversation with Dumbledore less than a year ago. “Voldemort knew that he wanted to become as invincible as possible. He also knew the number seven is the most powerful number in magic. He used the Horcruxes after killing people. The reason this made him stronger is because, after his soul was ripped in two over and over again, he became less human, and more consumed by his hatred. That’s why he was unstoppable. Only a few knew about it, and none of them knew the Prophecy.”

“Well,” Remus started, “it would appear that you’ll need some help on this endeavor, wouldn’t it? As of right now, the Order’s main priorities are to find those Horcruxes, whatever they may be.” Turning back to Harry, he asked, “How do you destroy these things, Harry?”

Harry was afraid of this question, as it was something Dumbledore never told him how to do. His old headmaster was never able to finish his story of how he “magnificently” destroyed Marvolo’s ring before last school year. For this reason, Harry did not know how to respond.

“I don’t really know,” Harry cautiously answered, seeing the discouragement on the faces of the Order members. “Dumbledore knew, but he never told me how.”

“Well, let’s not lose all hope,” Minerva spoke up, breaking another period of silence in the room. “We’ve still got some time left to sort this out. You’re forgetting we still have to figure out what these things are.”

“I have a hunch about three of the remaining four,” Harry said.

All eyes turned towards him. Some had hope, others doubt. Harry hoped for all their sakes that he was right about all three.

“While looking into his past, I remember him possessing a gold locket, originally held by ““

“Slytherin!” shrieked Minerva. She remembered Voldemort’s interest in Hogwarts history, and she remembered that there were only three possessions previously owned by the founders of the school still in existence. That must mean that the second one would be from Hufflepuff.

“That’s right,” Harry continued, both relieved and concerned with Minerva’s reaction. “The second is a cup from Hufflepuff. He stole both of these from a lady who was collecting them. She showed them to him, and he killed her for them. I think because of his obsession with the school and power, he might have used them as Horcruxes. Especially since they went missing after the lady was killed, and then he went into hiding.”

“That makes sense,” said Minerva, having waited for Harry to finish this time. “Those artifacts would certainly contain a lot of power in them, and that’s what Voldemort wants. But those are only two, Harry. Do you have any ideas as to what the remaining two are?” she asked with a worried tone in her voice.

“Dumbledore had a hunch about the snake that follows Voldemort, but I don’t have any clue about what the last one is. It could literally be anything.”

“Well, it looks like you still have some searching to do, then, Mr. Potter. Now that we have this information, I think we should talk about your next school year. I heard that you would not be returning this year. Is this true?”

“I changed my mind over the past few days. I will be coming back. I don’t want to risk not being there at Hogwarts if something bad happens.”

“Very admirable of you, Potter,” Mad-Eye Moody chimed in.

“Indeed, yes,” continued Minerva. “As you have responsibilities to both your school work and...well, what we just talked about, you will be given certain privileges above your fellow classmates. You will let us know when you are leaving to continue your search, and you will not be going alone.”

“But Professor, I can’t risk the lives of others!” Harry protested. “This is my responsibility, and I don’t want anyone else to be hurt if something should “”

“Should something go wrong,” Minerva said, with a tone that demanded no argument, “then there will be more than one of you to fight. I don’t want to discuss it further at the moment, Mr. Potter,” she said, noticing Harry was about to speak again.

“Now then,” she continued, “as this pertains to all three of you, I will inform you of some changes at the school. First off, as you may have guessed, I am Dumbledore’s replacement as Headmistress of the school. This makes Hagrid the head of Gryffindor house. Professor Slughorn will be head of Slytherin.”

This decision made Harry very happy, as Hagrid was a close friend, and Slughorn would be another professor he could trust. This might make Slytherin somewhat more bearable, thought Harry to himself. Unfortunately, this was not so.

“Speaking of Slytherin,” Minerva proceeded, “Mr. Malfoy will be coming back as well “”

“NO,” all three of the Gryffindors yelled at the same time, but it was Ron who was able to get the next comment off first.

“You’re going to let the guy who was the reason for Dumbledore’s death back in school?! Bloody hell, you must be mental!”

“Ronald Weasley, you watch your mouth!” Mrs. Weasley yelled.

“If you’ll give me a chance to explain, Mr. Weasley,” Minerva said hotly, “you just may realize my reasoning behind bringing Mr. Malfoy back to school.”

Ron knew he wasn’t going to win this argument, and judging from the look on Hermione’s face, he’d better give up or not live to tell about it. With one last look of disapproval on his face, he sat back down and listened to Minerva speak.

“I’m bringing him back for a number of reasons. First, Mr. Malfoy did not commit the heinous act last year: that was Severus. Yes, he did assist in it, which is the reason for number two and three. Number two is that, if Voldemort trusts the Malfoys, which we have every reason to believe this is to be true, he’ll want Draco back in school as a spy. I want to have him back so that we can reverse that. I’ve already had Professor Slughorn make a lot of Veritaserum, among other potions, to...convince...Mr. Malfoy to not be honest about the goings-on of Hogwarts, and also to acquire information from him about the Dark Lord’s activities. Perhaps he will tell us where the remaining Horcruxes are. Did you think of that, Mr. Weasley?”

Ron looked shocked at her last statement. Harry, as irritated as he was that Malfoy would be at Hogwarts one more time, had to respect the brilliance of the idea. He’d never thought of it from that angle.

“Lastly, he will be under extreme surveillance at all times, and he will not be able to go anywhere without at least one professor knowing his whereabouts. So, there is no need to worry about another event happening.”

“It’s still a great risk, Minerva,” Remus stated. “No one here knows what Voldemort has taught the boy. He may be able to resist such measures.”

“He may, but he is not as powerful as Mr. Potter, and he will surely not be able to get past us under so careful a watch.”

“And if he does,” Harry added, “I’ll be there waiting for him.”

“You will do no such thing,” Minerva turned back to face Harry. “You are not to touch him unless he attacks you or a fellow classmate. Do I have your word?”

As difficult as it was for Harry to surrender this hope of being able to rid Hogwarts of Malfoy, he reluctantly agreed. There was nothing he could do. At least at the moment.

“As for you, Mr. Potter, as I said earlier, you will be permitted to leave school grounds to continue your search. Under no circumstances are you to tell anyone else about where you go and you will return as soon as possible. As a member of the Order, if a situation requires more assistance, notify either myself or another member, and we will arrange for it. Don’t try to play the hero, Harry, as you have before. I understand that you are our last hope and that you will indeed have “power the Dark Lord knows not,” but that doesn’t mean you are able to handle yourself in an ambush or a situation where the odds are not in your favor. In which case, it is essential you have at least one person in this room with you when you leave.

“And what’s more, being given these new liberties does not mean your school work does not matter. I expect no less than the performance you have sustained all your years at Hogwarts, and will keep an eye on your marks. The same punishments apply to you, as do all other rules. I will not ask if this is alright with you, as it is not open for renegotiation. Any questions?”

Harry tried his hardest to comprehend all that was just said to him. Professor McGonagall certainly hadn’t changed, that was for sure! That being said, there was one question that had just come to his attention, and worried him.

“Professor, will I be able to use magic outside of Hogwarts?”

Although he would be of age by the time the upcoming school term began, he wanted to be sure he’d be able to at least use some spells if he needed to.

“Yes you will, Potter,” said a cold, hard voice from the back. The Minister of Magic had been very quiet this whole time, and chose now to speak up. There was still some animosity between Harry and the Minister from their encounter at Christmas almost a year ago.

“Something that will be said at the first day of school is what I’m going to tell all three of you here and now,” started Scrimgeour, “but this mainly applies to you, Potter. The laws in regards to Underage Usage of Magic have been temporarily dropped, as the Ministry of Magic feels it is critical that every witch and wizard is able to defend themselves if they are in trouble. This applies to all magic: Potter, your Patronus, all jinxes, and anything else used in self defense. Also, the Apparitions test is cancelled for this year, so if either of you are capable of Apparating, then you won’t have to worry about testing for it. Therefore, this should flesh out your inventory, Potter. Best of luck to you.”

Although the Minister seemed genuine, there was a stiffness with which he stated these last statements that Harry and the rest of the room’s occupants sensed. In fact, it was so stiff that Harry almost felt it was Snape telling him.

After revealing this information, Rufus turned to the rest of the Order.

“As that is all I needed to say, I shall escort myself out. I have other business to attend to, such as keeping the wizarding world in order. If there is any update on Potter’s progress, inform me immediately. Once all of these devices are destroyed, I will come back.”

With that, he grabbed his robe, turned on his heel, and briskly made his way to the front door.

“Can you believe that prat?” Ron spoke up as the door shut behind the Minister.

“Ron, watch your language this time,” Mrs. Weasley said, a forced calm in her voice.

“Mum, how can you defend him?! He practically treated Harry as though he were someone who was mental. I mean, yes, the news was good, but he didn’t have the right to treat Harry the way he did.”

“No, he did not,” growled Moody from the far end of the table. “However, I haven’t known him to treat someone in such a way without a particular reason...”

After this comment was made, both of Moody’s eyes were on Harry. The rest of the table followed his gaze. Harry wasn’t sure what to say. He thought back to the conversation almost a year ago, trying desperately to remember what was said between the two of them.

“Well, err, I remember him asking me to visit the Ministry more often to give the impression that I was on their side, but I told him I didn’t want to, and I didn’t agree with him holding Stan Shunpike in Azkaban without a reason. I, err, kinda challenged him on that...”

“That would explain a lot,” Moody said, with a rather humorous tone in his voice. “Was that all?”

“The conversation ended with him asking me where Dumbledore was going all last year, which he now knows. But I refused to tell him last year. He thought that Dumbledore was holding me against my will, but I told him I was Dumbledore’s man, through and through.”

This comment silenced the room. As with Albus Dumbledore before them, the room became choked up and teary-eyed with this statement of Harry’s. Everyone knew it was true, even in this moment. With Dumbledore gone, this comment hit each heart a little closer than usual.

“Then I wouldn’t worry too much about the Minister, Harry,” Remus said softly.

“Well,” Mrs. Weasley began, “I’d say it’s about time for bed. It’s been a long day for everyone, and with all the news we’ve just been informed of…well, it’s time for bed. Come on, you three.”

But before Ron, Harry, and Hermione got to the stairs, the front door opened in an instant, with Mr. Weasley walking briskly into the main room. He had a look of worry on his face as he walked to the dining room. The three young wizards quickly followed him, hearing him yelling, “Percy’s been fired and is going to be sent to Azkaban!”

A stunned hush overcame the room as Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered, all bearing the same stunned look Mr. Weasley had. Mr. Weasley had every eye in the room as he sat down next to his wife, every eye begging him to elaborate.

“When I went to the Ministry this afternoon, I went to see if my help was needed on anything. I saw a large group of people standing in the hallway. The Daily Prophet was there as well. I saw a man being taken away by security. He looked up at the last second before they took him in the elevator, and it was Percy. He looked beaten up and miserable, Molly! And his robes were smoking and blackened in areas. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. I ran to catch up, but was stopped. I asked security what had happened. He naturally asked what business of mine was it, so I explained that was my son. He apologized and took me to a separate room, where we were joined by a second officer. It was there they told me that Percy was spying on the Minister for Cornelius Fudge! Our old Minister! Apparently he couldn’t accept the fact that Scrimgeour is a better Minister than Fudge ever was, so he agreed to steal documents and eavesdrop on the goings-on of the Ministry so Fudge had all the information he could ever need. I can’t imagine what he would need it for, though.”

Molly looked horrified by the news, for obvious reasons. This was her son! She realized she had stopped breathing, and she forced herself to restart. Hermione pulled a chair behind her and gently guided Mrs. Weasley to it and sat her down. Once seated, she spoke tentatively.

“Why was he beaten up, Arthur?” she asked.

“They wouldn’t say,” he replied, exasperated. “I assume he put up a fight, though. I can’t think of any other reason security would harm him. I believe he was in the Department of Mysteries, if I’m not mistaken. But I’m not sure why Fudge would need information from that department.”

“Does the disaster a year ago bring any memories to mind?” Moody asked with a vicious tone in his voice.

The group turned their attention to Mad-Eye as he explained his reasoning.

“Harry and Voldemort’s prophecy wasn’t the only prophecy relevant to Voldemort. Fudge had contacts beyond what he knew, and his handprint was on a lot of those prophecies. If my worst fear is true, which I know it is, Voldemort has Fudge in his possession. Arthur, have they caught Fudge yet?”

“No. I overheard them saying they couldn’t find him, and they had some Seers looking into it.”

“If they don’t have him yet, then they won’t find him unless Voldemort wants to get rid of him,” Moody stated. “That’s as much confirmation as you need.”

“Then we will work on that,” Lupin said. “Harry has to search with one of us, and he will indeed do this.” With his comment, he cast a knowing glance to several members of the Order, all unnoticed by Harry and his friends.

“The rest of us will look for Fudge. We need to see what he knows, and see what Voldemort’s after. I will lead this. Is there another member who wishes to accompany me?”

“I will,” Arthur said immediately, putting his face in his hands. “I need to find a way to redeem my son, Remus.”

“And we will work on that in time,” Lupin assured him. “But we need to set our priorities on Fudge and those Horcruxes. These are the things that are giving Voldemort his strength, and that’s what we need to take away from him.”

“Wait a moment, Remus,” Arthur said slowly. “What are these Horcruxes you were speaking of? And why does Harry have to do anything about it?”

“I’ll explain everything later, dear,” said Molly.

After all the evening’s excitement, everyone was quite tired. Alastar and Remus decided to retire after the meeting, as did Arthur and Molly. Minerva said she had to leave, as she had some other meetings. Before she did, she turned to Harry, Ron, and Hermione for one last bit of information.

“Your letters will be sent tomorrow, but there will be a slight difference: your books will be included with the letters. I don’t want the students going to purchase books or doing anything outside Hogwarts that may cause them harm.”

“They’re just books, Professor,” Ron said. “What harm could come from going to buy them from Diagon Alley?”

“I just want to be more careful, Mr. Weasley. I’d rather not have to lose any more than that which has already been lost. Diagon Alley is not the place it used to be. There is a lot of theft and violence, as the stores are all shutting down and wizards are rushing for whatever they can grab. It’s no longer safe there. I feel that by sending the books with the letters, it will further prevent any potential, if improbable, harm. Good luck this year to all of you, and I will see you on the first day of the term.”

“Professor, I do have one more question,” said Hermione. “From what you and the Minister have told us, there seems to be a lot changing at Hogwarts. Are there any more changes that will be taking place?”

“You are very keen, Ms. Granger, and I knew you would assume as much. As usual, your assumption is correct, as there are more changes that I have not told you yet. Those changes will be revealed to you at the feast on the first day. Good night, and be careful, you three.”

She looked at each of them fondly, and her eyes hovered on Harry for just a moment longer than the other two. She now knew, perhaps better than he did, what was in store for him, and she was scared for him. After knowing him for so long, making the promises to him that she’d made, and seeing him and all the trouble he undertook for someone his age, she couldn’t help but feel close to him. With a small smile, she walked out the front door, gently shutting it behind her. Things would certainly be different. After she left, the three teenagers walked up the stairs, and one by one drifted into a fitful sleep, neither sure of what unexpected surprises awaited for them in the coming days...