Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter & The Silhouette Of Eternal Benevolence by JourneyJosh

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: In this chapter, Harry learns about the new changes in the curriculum at Hogwartz, including more Dark Arts and Transfiguration. He meets a new professor, whose intentions don't seem obvious to Harry. The first Horcrux mission is on its way, but Harry has to find the steps to take in order to begin this last journey.
The next day began as a blur for Harry. As he sleepily walked through the portrait, he saw Hermione follow him. As it turned out, their first class was the same, and started at the unprecedented hour of half past seven in the morning: Professional Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. Not only was there a new curriculum for Defense Against the Dark Arts, as was told to them during the feast, but there was a more intense feel in this class as well. A sense of urgency seemed to possess Professor McGonagall as she quickly told the class what they would be learning and how they should approach this last year of their schooling at Hogwarts.

“This is your final year,” said McGonagall, “and you need to make sure this is the year you make the biggest impression. After all, succeeding this year, you are going into the workforce with every other witch and wizard, and the competition will be strong. This is also the year you choose the profession you will do the rest of your days. It is critical that you take this year seriously and that you work your hardest ever, and I say this in all seriousness. You are in this class because it pertains to the career you have chosen for yourselves. The rest of your schedule is designed like this to give you the most experience just before you start your lives after Hogwarts. You must make an impression this year, and I expect no less from each one of you. You may also want to note that, if you’re hoping to pass this class with an Acceptable, I suggest you do your best.

“As far as curriculum, you will be learning some new things, as this is another class that the course content has been changed. The reasons for this change have been unique, just like this year will be. You will be learning more defense-oriented material, so if the time comes, which will hopefully be never, you shall have the skills to defend yourselves. Another part of this class has never been taught before, and it is more advanced than anything you have undertaken in any of your studies: how to become Animagi.”

The classroom erupted in conversation at the prospect of becoming an Animagus. It had never crossed their minds that this could even be a possibility, and every student was very excited. Their intrigue attained, they quieted quickly to listen to whatever was to be said next. The reason it had never been taught in a classroom prior to that moment, as it were, was because of the complexity and legality of it. After all, not all witches and wizards were able to become Animagi, in spite of the proper tutelage. Apparently, Professor McGonagall thought it best she taught this material, her being an Animagus herself. This portion of the class had been devised by Animagi from the Ministry of Magic. She further explained that, while the majority of the class would most likely not achieve the full effect, the material would still be taught and required for passing the class.

“This is one of the larger things being taught in this class this year, but it is not the only thing. As seventh years, you all have, in some form or another, been able to achieve the skills of previous years. Though the Animagi chapter is large and difficult, and the most advanced you will probably ever study at Hogwarts, the rest of the material in this class is nonetheless complicated. My expectations are that you will all learn and master every transfiguration skill from previous years and be able to adequately perform the skills taught this year. By the time this class is finished, you should all be able to successfully transform any object, including yourselves, into something else and back again. Now please open your textbooks to page 14 and begin reading about the Introduction of Professional Transfiguration.”

To say the book was difficult to comprehend was an understatement, as it contained many spells and wand movements that hadn’t been covered previously. On many occasions, students approached Professor McGonagall’s desk and asked for her to help them better understand the reading, which she did. She later decided to get up and review the section just read. She showed them some examples and told her students they would be required to perform the examples provided by the next class. She also said that this was just review for the Animagus chapter, which would follow the first unit. With that, the class was dismissed.

After Transfiguration, Harry and Hermione worked their way to the Great Hall for breakfast. Both looked for Ron and Ginny, but they weren’t there. Ron would be waking up soon, though. As for Ginny, since she was a year below them, she did not have classes until the ten o’clock hour. There were few students up at that time, so the two friends sat together and ate their breakfast, too tired to talk.

The day was still young, however. Harry and Hermione both had History of Magic next, where they were joined by a sleepy Ron. Naturally, as it is with sleepy teenagers in a boring class, all three fell asleep within the first ten minutes. Even Hermione, who was always as alert as possible in that class, was sleeping. After the hour was up, the three left, groggy and having learned nothing. They passed a very energetic Ginny on their way back to the Gryffindor commons room, who said good morning cheerily as she passed them on her way to her first class.

Having a break until later that afternoon, the threesome sat in their favorite seats by the fireplace. After sitting in these spots for six years, they were almost designated as their seats. They compared schedules to see which classes they had the same. As they were each to choose a different profession, their classes would be drastically different this year, and the chance of having a number of classes together would be slimmer than before. Harry and Hermione talked about the prospect of becoming Animagi in Transfiguration, a class which Ron had dropped. When looking at each other’s schedules, they noticed Harry and Hermione’s schedules were almost identical, with two exceptions. Hermione was taking Arithmancy and Ancient Runes, whereas Harry was taking Astronomy. Both saw they had a new class called Healing, and were curious as to what it was about. Hermione looked at Ron’s schedule, and was shocked. He was only with them for Charms, Potions, History of Magic, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. He also only had six classes total.

“What are you going to do after Hogwarts, Ron?” asked Hermione, curious as to why their friend’s schedule was so different.

“Well, I’m still not entirely sure what,” he replied nervously, “but I was thinking about being a professor at Hogwarts.” When his friends’ eyes shot up in a shocked manner, he continued.

“The reason is because, well, when I was talking to Professor McGonagall in fifth year, she said I had a, uh, ‘strong aptitude’ for passing on knowledge. She also said that because of the way I was raised, it would be beneficial for me to stay in a less complex working environment rather than going into the Ministry. At the end of last year, she told me that I’d almost certainly get a job at Hogwarts as a professor, as they would be needing them in future years. I thought about it over the summer, and I, err, decided I’d give it a try.”

“It’s more than a try, mate,” said Harry, pointing to Ron’s schedule. “You’ve got Instruction classes every day of the week for two hour periods!”

Ron did a double take as he looked at his schedule, clearly not having paid enough attention at first. With a sigh of disgruntlement, he folded the paper up and shoved it into his back pocket.

“Well, at least you two will have a lot of classes together,” he said before walking away, leaving his friends looking onward. Harry and Hermione couldn’t explain their schedules other than coincidence, until they talked about which field they wanted to go into for a profession.

“What are you doing after Hogwarts, Hermione?” asked Harry.

“I wanted to be a Healer for the Ministry, Harry,” she responded. “They work closely with Aurors and others who are defending the Ministry of Magic. It’s not like someone at St. Mungo’s or anything like that, but it is something that caught my interest. There’s a lot of research for the subject, and it involves a lot of puzzle-solving.”

“Right up your alley, then,” Harry said with a gleam of humor in his eye. “Well, we’ll hopefully be seeing a lot of each other then, after school gets out.”

“Don’t be so melancholy, Harry. Of course we’ll see a lot of each other after Hogwarts; and Ron too. You’ll see. Let’s get going. We’ve got Healing next.”




When Harry and Hermione entered the new classroom, located close to the Gryffindor tower, they were surprised to find a rather empty room. The beige stone walls were decorated with a few diagrams showing the motions of some wand techniques the students had never seen before. The four desks were in a circular pattern, all facing the front of the room. A small class, it was for those who were training for Healers and Aurors specifically. Healing was also reputed to be one of the most challenging classes offered at Hogwarts. The ceilings of the room were high, and the walls broad. The professor’s office was in the back of the room, much like the Defense Against the Dark Arts room. This office, however, was covered by a thick, deep red curtain that also covered a great deal of the front part of the room. As the sixteen students took their seats, they looked around at their new surroundings, conversations naturally starting around the room.

“I wonder what’s behind the curtain,” exclaimed Harry. “What do you suppose is there, Hermione?”

When Hermione did not answer, he turned to face her. She wasn’t even blinking. Harry followed her star struck gaze as the rest of the talking ceased in the room. The professor had walked out of his office and stood quietly in front of the class. He wore black pants and a grey shirt with a long black jacket. Unlike most other professors, his robe was leather and had a more weathered look to it. The man himself was no more than forty years of age, yet looked a few years younger. He was ruggedly handsome, unshaven with messed up hair and a smile that eased every guy’s worries and melted every girl’s heart.

“Welcome to my class,” said the professor in his Scottish accent. “This is Healing, so if you’re in the wrong class, please leave the same way you entered.” When no one left, nigh flinched, he continued.

“My name is William Garrison, and I will, obviously, be your professor this year. You all are seventh years, and this is the only truly new class for you. I will take this time to inform you all that this is the only Healing class in the entire school, so take a close look around you. These individuals will be your allies in this class, and will be the only ones capable of helping you with your coursework.”

Professor Garrison walked around the room, speaking about the curriculum and the content of the class. Hermione, along with every female in the classroom, had fallen in love with his looks and his accent, as it was so out of place in a British school. He spoke articulately, yet fluidly enough to keep the attention of his class.

“Make no mistake: this class is no easy task. I’ve heard the reputation of the course, and I’m afraid it is every bit as difficult as it is deemed. This is one of the most challenging classes at this school. One of the many things that will get you through it is how closely it parallels Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, and Transfiguration. These classes combined make up the field you are going into: Aurors and Healers both. They are all methods of defense, which are ever so critical at the present.

“To prepare you for the world that awaits, we will cross these subjects a number of times to show you how they all interconnect. Don’t worry. I will start out at a reasonable pace and work you up to where you need to be. Today, however, is a day of introductions. I want each of you to tell me your names and your experiences pertinent to this class. We’ll start with you.”

He smiled and pointed at a girl in the back of the class, who succeeded in introducing herself after several failed attempts. She had no experience with defense or healing, but she hoped to learn. She never lost eye contact with Professor Garrison, and sat after her introduction looking flustered. The same was with most students, the exceptions being the boys, although they did seem to stand a little straighter in front of their professor. Most of the class, as it turned out, did not have any experience with defense or healing. It finally came to Hermione, and she stood up on weak knees.

“And what’s your name, my dear?” asked Professor Garrison.

“I’m...Hermione...Hermione Granger,” she stammered. As he walked in front of her, she looked into his eyes with adoration.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about you, Ms. Granger. Is it true you have the highest marks in your class?”

Hermione looked down and modestly nodded her head.

“Impressive! I suspect you’ve had some experience then, am I right?”

Once again, Hermione nodded. She looked back up, and Professor Garrison noticed a change in her temperament as she began to tell of her experiences with Harry, Ron, and all the commotion that concluded their sixth year. After all, Hermione had been alongside Harry for most of his struggles, and had learned from him a great deal of her knowledge of Defense Against the Dark Arts. When she had finished, the teacher looked taken aback, then smiled.

“That’s quite a lot, I must say. Being friends with the young man sitting next to you, I would presume, would almost make these experiences expected.”

Professor Garrison smiled once more at Hermione and she took her seat. He walked to the last student in the room. Harry had a feeling it would be him to go last, and he was correct. He looked up at the professor and stood, locking eyes with him. Professor Garrison had an intense look that seemed to shoot right through Harry, peering into his heart. Speechless, Harry just stared back until his professor began to speak, still looking him eye to eye.

“So, you are the boy I’ve been hearing about for the past sixteen years: the legendary Harry Potter. The same young man who saw the end and return of Voldemort; the same young man who has foiled his plans on more than one occasion; the same young man who was with Professor Dumbledore before he fell. I’m sure, of all the class, you have the most stories and horrors to tell. So why don’t you, Mr. Potter?”

Harry was taken aback by the unrelenting gaze of his professor, as he was the only student to receive such a look. A more unexpected event caught Harry’s attention, however.

“You said his name!” was the first thing out of Harry’s mouth. Judging from the class’ reaction, he wasn’t the only one who noticed.

“Voldemort? Of course. Fear of a name makes no logical sense or reason. An Auror or Healer must lose fear of all danger around him or her before they are able to succeed in this line of work. Now, if you’ve any experiences you’d care to share with the class, you may do so with the remaining five minutes of it.”

And Harry did just that. He added the things that Hermione did not witness, including the deaths of Dumbledore and Cedric, the duels with Voldemort his fourth and fifth years, and many other events that were just as unforgettable. He slowly sat down as he finished, the class and the professor eyeing him the whole while. Professor Garrison never took his eyes off Harry. He just watched him with that piercing stare before saying his closing statements.

“Well, as the class can see, there are some of us who have an edge going into the following lessons. It is these individuals who can help you the most. You might try seeing past the houses you’ve been divided into and becoming allies. I think you all know that, in a time such as this, allies are hard to come by, and we’ll be needing as many of them as possible. These students can help you through this class if you need the help, as can I. Don’t be afraid to ask. For coursework, I only ask that you read the first chapter in your book. Write a half a scroll about what was said in your own words. This will tell me what you understood and what you didn’t. Next class is when I start lecturing, so be prepared. You are dismissed. That is, all except you, Mr. Potter. Meet me in my office.”

As the class filed out, Hermione gave Harry an apologetic look before leaving, mouthing that she’d meet him in the Great Hall for lunch. Harry turned around and returned to his desk. Professor Garrison motioned for him to follow him in his office, so Harry complied. Once there, he saw the office was quite different than he would have imagined it. There was the obvious desk, but there were potions and books on every shelf, with some titles Harry had never heard of. Many dealt with the Dark Arts, while others were in regards to Healing and complex spells. Professor Garrison watched him wander aimlessly around the room for a moment before breaking his concentration.

“I wanted to speak to you alone, Potter, as there are several things that you and I need to get straight between the two of us,” he began in a very serious manner that made Harry nervous. “Firstly, it’s obvious your level of experience far exceeds your peers. Let’s face it: you’re a legend in our world. That being said, I’ve also heard a great deal of your rule-breaking escapades, and let me firmly inform you that will not be tolerated by me. Moody’s not the only one who can prove a point when it comes to discipline. Furthermore, your past experiences do not dictate what grade you will receive in my class, nor do these experiences give you an excuse to not do your absolute best.”

Harry didn’t know what to say in the ensuing silence. He felt that the wrong comment would make him seem boastful or cowardly. While thinking of a response, he avoided Professor Garrison’s eyes, which always seemed to reach into the depths of Harry’s mind, seeking some unseen reality.

“So, you want to become an Auror, do you?”

Harry nodded blankly, still not quite sure what to make of the situation.

“You seem to know how to handle yourself in, shall we say, difficult situations. The trick to becoming an Auror, however, is to read a situation before it gets out of hand. That’s something you’ve got to learn before you even consider taking on Voldemort. Now, the Order’s brought me up to speed on things, so I’ll be helping you as much as I can. I wasn’t kidding when I said Aurors and Healers work together. I’ve actually worked with Moody several years back, when Voldemort was in power the first time.

“In any case, there’ll be plenty of time between now and school’s end for more discussion on this. I’m afraid you’ll be experiencing the difficulties of the Auror’s life sooner rather than later. But you'll need to excuse me. I’m late for a meeting with the other professors, so I will see you next class.”

With that, Professor Garrison left the office and Harry to go to his meeting. Harry stood there dumbfounded for a brief moment before collecting his senses and walked out. He walked to the Great Hall, immersed in his thoughts. He didn’t see Hermione walk up to him with a concerned look on her face, so she gently touched his arm to bring him back to the present.

“What did Professor Garrison want to speak to you about?” she asked.

“Well, he’s a member of the Order, and he’s worked with Moody before out in the field. He seems to know what he’s doing, but I couldn’t help but feel a bit, err, apprehensive around him.”

“You can trust him, Harry,” said Hermione. “He’s a teacher. Besides, he really seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject. Don’t worry. I’m sure it’s just a feeling.”

Harry wanted to believe the same, but something kept him from doing so. He had a feeling Hermione’s assumptions about Garrison were reminiscent of their second year in regards to Lockhart, but even so, he couldn’t shake the feeling he got from his professor. It was a kind of feeling that Harry hadn’t felt before: an almost embraceable, yet unsolicited threat. The two still had Herbology and Charms that day, and both were anxious to see Ron’s reaction to his first Instructors class.

As it turned out, Ron’s Instructions classes, while time consuming and coursework heavy, held Ron’s interest. He told them of what he was learning, and his discoveries as to why things appear one way to a student to achieve the desired goal of the professor. He didn’t have much time to talk after that, however, as he had work to do. He willingly walked to the table and took out his pen, making Hermione almost pass out with shock at the change in him.




The next couple days passed just as school always does, with much to do and little free time. Charms was its usual self, with little more than a review for the week, as was Herbology. The latter consisted of almost a duel between Neville and Hermione for who knew the most about the subject. By the time the smoke cleared, Gryffindor had earned well over 50 points, and they left the greenhouses content. Harry found his Astronomy class just as mundane as the years before, and Ron discovered he had a rather unsettling amount of work ahead of him. He had already suffered through many hours in his Instructor’s course. The workload greatly depressed him, and put him in an unhappy disposition for a while. On that Thursday of the first week, the trio walked down to the dungeons for Potions, a class that Harry knew was going to be difficult this year without the help of the Half-Blood Prince.

Professor Slughorn was in his usual pleasant mood as the class walked in. Harry was not pleased to see that Malfoy and his cronies had decided to continue the class as well. The class began just as the others had before it, with what would be covered. The difference is there was a quiz. Slughorn wanted to see what was remembered from the previous year. Hermione beamed at him, as her wish to disprove Harry as the best in the class had finally come true. The unfortunate thing for her was that, to Harry, the Prince’s book was one of his most prized, if not most despised, possessions. Though it had formerly belonged to Snape, the advice and spells contained within its aged, worn pages was invaluable, and Harry had been studying it in his spare time to make sure he was ready for any encounter he may have with the old Potions master.

The quizzes were turned in, and Professor Slughorn gave his students a reading assignment to keep them occupied as he graded the pieces of parchment passed in to him. He called out their names after he finished grading them and gave them a positive or negative comment as to their results. A familiar smile crossed his face as he looked at Harry’s table. Hermione’s smile was broader than ever...that is, until she heard the comments.

“Harry, my boy, you truly have outdone yourself! You have the top marks in the class so far this year, just the same as last. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; your mother would certainly have been proud!”

Hermione was fuming, to say the least, as Ron chuckled at her reaction. Professor Slughorn approached Harry and quietly asked him a question pertaining to Lily.

“Have you met with Professor Garrison yet?”

Harry nodded slowly, not sure why he was being asked about his Healing professor.

“I know he may seem like a hard person to cope with, but believe me when I tell you, he is one of the Order’s most valued members. You will come to see why in time. For the moment, trust him. Take my word for it, alright?”

Harry nodded once more before returning to his work. Professor Slughorn walked back to his desk and finished grading the quizzes of the rest of the students. When the class left, Hermione was still in an ill mood, but it had been slightly lifted, as she had received the second highest marks in the class. Over their lunch break, she couldn’t stay mad at Harry. She remembered the ending of their sixth year, and the summer they’d had, and her anger slowly melted away.

The remaining classes of the week were more challenging than anything the seventh years had experienced. Professor Garrison tested them almost immediately to see who completed the assignment. Each of the Healing students were also tested about their knowledge from Defense Against the Dark Arts as well as Potions. The results varied, so he ended the day’s lesson by briefly explaining how the three classes were interwoven. Every professor, as it turned out, even Professor McGonagall, had warned the students the classes would be much more difficult the following week. No one doubted this anymore.

The first weekend arrived, much to the delight of all: Ron especially. He returned from his Instructor’s class on Friday afternoon utterly exhausted and collapsed on the couch in the commons area, falling asleep the instant his head hit the cushioned surface. Having the class every night of the week for two hour sessions was difficult, particularly on students with nonexistent study habits. Harry enjoyed an entertaining, though much less competitive, game of Wizard’s chess with Seamus (he had to play the only person in the school who’d beaten Weasley). Hermione spent a lot of her time with other girls from Gryffindor, helping them with their coursework. Naturally, the weekend passed more quickly than the students would’ve preferred, and it was back to classes. The first couple weeks passed on in this fashion without consequence, except for Healing, which gave even Harry and Hermione a run for their money in terms of the skill level required to perform just half of the spells they were learning. They headed the class in grades and performance, but because Professor Garrison was always being asked for help, he volunteered the two as his assistants. It was a rather unique environment to work in.

Harry and Hermione woke up early every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to attend McGonagall’s Transfiguration class. The past couple weeks had been a challenge, although it was just review. The atmosphere this particular Monday morning, however, was electric: this was the day they would be starting the Animagus unit, which everyone was anxious for. Looking over the assigned readings for the day’s class, Harry and Hermione knew this would not be an easy task by any means. Most students, nor wizards and witches, for that matter, ever mastered becoming an Animagus. It was very complex and difficult magic, and it took a lot of work just to achieve the desired results. The animal one would turn into was determined by something buried deep within the heart of the person performing the magic. This made perfect sense to Harry, as Moody, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs all matched their Animagus perfectly: Moody was, obviously Lupin, the werewolf; Wormtail, Harry recalled spitefully, was a rat of a person, hence his Animagus; Padfoot, or Sirius, was always alone and the outcast, thus a lone dog or grim; and Prongs, James Potter, was proud and strong, thus a stag. Harry pondered what his would be, should he be able to attain an Animagus form.

The class was alive with conversations of this very matter as Professor McGonagall entered the room. She quieted them down before reviewing once more the material from the last week’s lessons. After each student demonstrated they had mastered these spells, she asked them a few questions about the Animagus transformations to see who had read. As it turned out, every student had read and answered the questions correctly. McGonagall was impressed. It wasn’t every year an entire class was so well prepared for an upcoming lesson, let alone at this hour on a Monday morning. She chose this time to do her introduction to reiterate what was already known.

“Just to remind you, this part of the class has never been taught prior to this year, but the Ministry sees it fit that you should learn as much magic as possible should you ever need to use it. This particular book, which contains the Animagus unit, was therefore chosen. As you know, the Animagus is the form of animal a witch or wizard can transform themselves into. It is the second truest form of a person’s physical being, as it comes from the deepest part of your heart. Sometimes family heirloom or genealogy can influence this transformation, or a traumatic incident from the past. Sometimes, however, an Animagus can take a form unexpected to the user. This is why it is one of the most complex types of magic you will ever do, and many don’t ever get to their final form. You all read the procedures in the book, so allow me to demonstrate the transformation before I proceed.”

With that, the class watched the familiar scene of their professor transforming into a cat. The feline figure mewed in a jovial tone before reverting to its original form. The class applauded, which made Professor McGonagall’s face flush for a moment. She composed herself quickly before continuing.

“Now how did I do that? Yes, Ms. Granger.”

“You focused on your most defining moment in your past and allowed it to overtake you entirely, thus changing your form to whatever the memory allowed you to be,” answered Hermione.

“Very good, as usual, Ms. Granger. Ten points to Gryffindor. However, what you said is really only true for the first time you change forms. Once you know your Animagus, you are able to focus on that alone and it will transform you. The hard part is finding the correct memory. Otherwise, you won’t change at all. Once you find the right memory, you will automatically turn into an animal appropriate in personality and temperament to your own right now. Then you will need me to transform you back to your original state. Once that step is completed, you won’t be able to change back into an Animagus until you’ve studied quite extensively, which is what the rest of the unit is about. Keep in mind this does not happen quickly, nor can you speed up the process. It takes years to fully master the art of being an Animagi, and it’s not a task I expect you to do well. If you’re able, we’ll see your Animagus in class. Otherwise, you will still study the chapter and do your best to keep up. Now, I want everyone to close their eyes and search their minds and hearts for a memory that you feel defines you. Well, go on!”

The students closed their eyes one by one and thought hard. Professor McGonagall was amused at their faces. It was evident some were really trying to concentrate. Either that, or perhaps they felt, by deforming and scrunching their face as much as possible, they would be able to change. Though this made some of them quite amusingly unrecognizable, it was not a method of transformation by any means, or in any form of magic. Consequently, they all opened their eyes moments later and looked around disappointedly.

“What did you do wrong?” asked Professor McGonagall. When no one answered, she explained something she had intentionally omitted earlier. “Sometimes the most remote or unobvious stimulation can jar your memory. Try again.”

The same thing happened as last time. The scrunched faces of deep concentration, the sweating of those who knew they hadn’t succeeded. Only this time, when the students opened their eyes, their professor was gone. A Ravenclaw girl in the back had a cat sitting suddenly next to her, glaring at her eye to eye. A look of shock came across the girl’s face, then suddenly she was gone! In her place was a Golden Retriever dog with beautiful, long fur. She barked happily as the cat transformed back into their professor.

“Now you see what I meant,” she said with a smile on her face. “I must admit, though, I wasn’t expecting this on the first day. That’s quite impressive.”

The dog started wagging her tail and panting at this comment before running around the room. Each student pet her head and laughed at the funny situation. The dog returned to the side of Professor McGonagall after a minute or so and sat, waiting instructions.

A moment later, the girl reappear in the place of the dog, still sitting with that silly grin on her face. She stood up and joined her cheering classmates.

“Ten points to Ravenclaw. Well done, Melinda! Now, I must ask...how did you do that? A witch or wizard is rarely, and I mean rarely, ever able to achieve an Animagus state on the first attempt.”

“Err...to be honest,” Melinda responded, “I’ve already studied Animagi. Last year I grabbed a book and tried to change forms, but this is the first time it’s ever worked for me.”

“That’s still very impressive,” Professor McGonagall said, making the girl blush. “You may sit back in your desk and work on the next section. The rest of you, continue to practice.”

And so they did. Over and over the class closed their eyes and concentrated on memories. Unfortunately, over and over again, the students were disappointed with the lack of results. Once the period was over, the class packed up. Professor McGonagall reminded them that class was cancelled Wednesday due to a meeting she had. With that, the class filed out.

Harry and Hermione met up with Ron for History of Magic, where they all, the exception being Ron, paid attention. Their professor noticed this and actually awarded points in his class for the first time in a decade of teaching. They had their break, where Ron was told the story of Melinda as a dog, and how both Harry and Hermione both wondered what they would become once they solved the mysteries of their past. Ron wondered aloud what he would be, suggesting such beasts as dragons and trolls. Hermione wasn’t pleased to hear it, but she didn’t have time to deflate Ron’s ego at the moment. Today they had Defense Against the Dark Arts.




When Harry walked into the room, it was as if he was walking into a memory he never wanted to relive: the room was almost exactly as it was three years ago. It had the dark, ominous feel to it, with the enemy scanners and detectors placed in the office and forefront of the classroom. Recollections of Cedric and the horrific events of that day involving Voldemort’s return and the revealing of the false Mad-Eye, Barty Crouch Jr., flooded Harry’s mind again as he took another step into the time capsule before him.

The class was silent as they awaited their professor. But Moody was no where to be seen. Harry nervously got up and checked the office: no sign of him there. The class volume gradually increased as each student discussed theories as to why their instructor was not here. Five minutes passed without a trace of him, and this made Harry worry. It was not usual for Moody to be late for anything, especially when he made a commitment to be at a certain place at a certain time. Constant vigilance, he always said, and this was far from it. Just as a few students packed their bags to leave, the door flew open, and Professor Moody stormed in, his usual scowl present. The scars on his face had worsened due to the curses he sustained during the fight at the Muggle Ministry. He glared at the students about to leave, and they quickly retook their seats. Not giving any explanation to his tardiness, he started the lesson.

“I am Professor Moody, as you all know by now. I was scheduled to teach here three years ago by request of Dumbledore, but had a rather callous encounter with an enemy I thought dead. I hear there is a curse on this job. Supposedly, a teacher can only hold this position for one year’s time before some untold occurrence eradicates them from it. As the school needs more protection, I was requested once more to teach. In any case, I will be your instructor for the Dark Arts course. You all heard the speech at the beginning of the year about the curriculum changing, correct?”

The class nodded their heads in unison.

“Then you won’t be surprised that, when you open your textbooks, you will know almost nothing about the materials there. I’ve already seen what you have studied, and you have learned almost nothing. In the book that I chose for this class are secret spells and curses that are not taught in any other magical school in the world, as they are truly Dark magic. The Ministry believes this material is too advanced and too inappropriate for this sort of class, but they’re not teaching the class, are they? The Dark Arts are alive and well, and you’d best be on your guard if you’re hoping to get to your last day at Hogwarts.”

Moody limped back and forth in the front of the classroom, going over some of the curses in the book. Several of them were counter-measures to be taken should something be thrown at a student unexpectedly.

“Some of you have more aptitude for this than others, but this class will be more challenging than you could possibly imagine. If you need assistance, there are ways of receiving it. Now, if there are no questions, then I suggest we start. Open your books to the first chapter and read.”

Harry, Hermione, and Ron exchanged looks of awe and astonishment as they opened their textbooks for the first time. They exchanged more looks after reading the first paragraph. The book was impossibly complex, and contained descriptions of what each curse was designed to do. Some of the ones listed in the first chapter alone were rather grotesque in nature, and others were very intricate. Even Hermione had difficulty understanding how the curses were performed. Moody watched over the class with both eyes, scanning to see who comprehended the first chapter. He knew it was perhaps the most complicated text on the subject, second to only one, which was missing. It was the only one of its kind, and that would more than likely be in the possession of the Dark Lord. After the hour, the students left. Harry stayed behind, curious to see what Moody would have to say about his Healing professor.

“So you met Garrison, did you?” growled Moody with a grin. Harry nodded. “A very interesting man he is, as you’ll come to discover. He works quite well in the Dark Arts, and I’ve worked with him a number of times before.”

“He mentioned that,” said Harry. “I felt a bit...odd, when I met with him after class. He called me into his office...”

“I’m not sure what he told you, but he’s a very powerful wizard. Healers and Aurors work side by side often. It’s a partnership that saves more lives than you’ll ever be able to count. He’s seen the darker side of magic, and he’s saved my neck a number of times. He was also in that picture of the Order I showed you a couple years ago.” Moody paused, noticing Harry scanning his memory of the picture for Garrison. “Remember the youngest looking one in the back behind Sirius?”

The image cleared in Harry’s mind, and focused on the man behind Sirius. He remembered now, and wondered how he had not made the connection before. He knew that photograph forwards and backwards. He stayed trapped in his thoughts for a moment longer before looking back to the amused face of Moody.

“But Professor, why hasn’t he been with the Order lately?”

“He has his reasons,” Moody replied simply. “If he wishes to share them with you, he will when the time is right. Now, you still want to become an Auror, yes?” Harry affirmed the comment. “Well, if that truly is your plan, which I feel you have a talent for, you’ll need both of us, as well as that fool, Slughorn, to help you through this next year. We’ll also be the ones going with you on your missions throughout the year. Speaking of which, have you thought of what you’re going to do to get into the Mansion of the Malfoys?”

Alastor dropped his voice on that last statement, as if the walls were spying on them. Harry didn’t have the faintest idea of what Moody was trying to get across to him, and got smacked in the head by his professor’s staff in an attempt to jog his memory.

“How do you expect to be a challenge for Voldemort when you can’t even figure out something as simple as getting into a mansion? Seriously, boy, THINK! Who else, other than Malfoy, has stepped foot in that Manor?”

Then it hit Harry, ironically in the same way the broom idea hit him three years ago, in the same office of the same man, so to speak. He looked up at Moody, who had a grin on his face.

“Figure it out yet?”

“Dobby!” Harry exclaimed, surprised he didn’t think of it before.

“If I were you, I’d get to work on that, Potter. Your time is running short. Voldemort will be looking for the next move to make, now that the Muggles are running scared from the clock tower incident. Let me know when you’re going, as I’ll be the one to go with you. Understand?”

Harry nodded once more, and received a hard pat on the shoulder. He turned and walked out of the office, feeling confident he would be able to do this task after all. As he wandered through the corridors, he decided to take a different route to Gryffindor tower. Walking through one of the courtyards of Ravenclaw, he saw a group of students surrounding an area that he couldn’t see. He also heard fast-paced music. He pushed his way through the crowd to see what was going on. He was amazed at what he saw, as it was something he’d never seen before.

A student, with a facial complexion Harry had never seen before, was dancing. Only it wasn’t the dancing Harry was used to. The kid was by himself, and kicking and punching thin air to the beats of the music. He did it so quickly, though, that his movements were a blur. He’d often leap off the ground, replacing his feet with one hand while doing a double-legged kick, then spin and flip upward back to a vertical base. He continued like this for a few minutes more before kneeling on the ground with his hands together in front of him and his eyes closed, signaling the end of the presentation. The group of spectators cheered him as he bowed in appreciation and respect for their attention before departing. The crowd disbanded quickly afterwards. The music, as it turned out, was coming from a circle of wands placed on a bush. The students to whom those wands belonged all knew the song, and with their combined efforts, the wands emitted sound waves mimicking the song they were thinking about. The boy walked in Harry’s direction, and stopped five feet in front of him.

“Say, aren’t you Harry Potter?” the boy asked in an accent Harry had not yet heard.

“Yes, I am. Who are you? Where did you come from? And what were you doing just then?”

“Wow, you ask a lot of questions for a first meeting!” the boy exclaimed with a smile. “Well, my name is Ricky Li. I transferred to Hogwarts from a school of magic in Hong Kong, which is close to China. And I was doing a martial arts demonstration in the mixed styles of Shuri-te, Kung Fu, and Capoeira. That about answer your questions?”

“I do have one more...”

“Go ahead, Potter.”

“Could you teach me how to do that?”

Ricky laughed aloud for a moment before looking back at Harry. He had an easiness about him that relaxed Harry. The new boy thought a moment longer before giving his answer.

“Stop by this courtyard sometime next week and I’ll see what we have to work with as far as a trade is concerned. Knowing the issues you have on your shoulders, though, I may just do it free of charge. Depends on my mood, I’m afraid. See you in a week, Potter.”

With that, the boys parted ways. Harry continued his walk towards Gryffindor tower with more excitement than he knew how to contain. He had so much still to learn about a great many things, but he was confident, for the first time in a long time, that he would be able to meet and master every challenge presented to him.