Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Avada Kedavra by RandomGryffindor

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The following week at the Burrow was relatively uneventful. The wedding was getting closer, and Molly was gone seemingly all the time with Fleur and Ginny, buying seemingly everything from Diagon Alley for the wedding. Ron, Charlie, and Bill also were absent for a few days, Bill dragged them along to find matching dress robes (they were his two groomsmen). Coupled with Mr. Weasley, Fred, and George going to work everyday, this left Harry, Hermione, and most of the time Neville alone.

They spent the week permanently degnoming the garden (Mr. Weasley finally acquiesced to kicking the gnomes out for good due to the wedding), decorating it, cleaning the house, and accommodating the kitchen for the Hogwarts house elves, who Dobby convinced to cook for the ceremony.

Everything was set Friday, two days before the wedding. Mrs. Weasley didn’t anybody into the kitchen or near the hill on which the dais stood. Harry, Ron, and Neville were confined in Ron’s room. They fell asleep early, hoping that their dreams would be more exciting than chess.




Harry was awoken suddenly by a frightened Ron.

“Harry, don’t look now, but there’s a big red and gold bird by your head.”

“Fawkes?” a stunned Harry said, opening his eyes and seeing the bird’s face right over his.

“You know that thing?”

“It was Dumbledore’s phoenix,” he replied. “I wonder what he’s doing here.” The bird stuck its leg out at that moment, as if it were trying to answer Harry. Harry grabbed Fawkes’ leg as the bird motioned to Harry to grab Ron and Neville as well. Once Ron gripped Neville’s hand, Fawkes flew quickly out the window and down to Ginny’s bedroom. Neville swung like a pendulum from the abrupt stop and flew into the window, shattering the glass. Ginny and Hermione both woke up startled and helped him up. Ginny noticed what was holding Ron and Harry up.

“Fawkes,” Ginny gasped.

“You know that thing, too?” Neville asked, startled.

“Yes, from the Chamber,” she said simply, confusing Neville even more.

“Can you hurry up?” Ron yelled from outside.

Neville grabbed Ginny’s hand and led her to the window. He grabbed Ron’s hand and he and Ginny stumbled out the room.

“Come on, Hermione!” Ron yelled.

“What about the wedding?” then looking like she had seen the face of Voldemort, “What about your mum?”

“This is Dumbledore’s bird! She’ll understand.” Just then the phoenix started to take off as Hermione raced to grab hold of Ginny. Harry heard her repair the broken window before the bird flew higher, into the clouds.

The trip was relatively short, and before he knew his feet had touches the ground, Harry saw a large three story house lying in front of him. Fawkes stuck out his other foot to reveal a key and letter. Harry took them both and walked to the door.

“Harry,” Hermione asked, frightened, “where are we?”

Harry was just as confused as she was, “I don’t know, but it’s obvious Dumbledore wants us to check it out.”

She started to retort, but saw the determined look in his eyes and closed her mouth. Harry inserted the key and turned the lock. The door swung open on it’s own. Inside was the entrance hall. A massive chandelier hung from the ceiling, portraits of famous wizards lines the walls, and the armored knights in between the portraits were in deep conversation. Finally, one of them approached Harry.

“I am Sir Charles Cadogan, brother of a Sir Cadogan at Hogwarts. I bring to you a message: ‘From Sir Albus Dumbledore to Sir Harry Potter, Number 7, Godric’s Hollow.’” The knight bowed and abruptly walked away.

Harry’s eyes opened in awe. He opened the letter, and saw the portrait at the end of the hall come to life. It was Dumbledore’s. The paper started out blank, but as the portrait spoke it filled in:

“Dear Harry,

If my portrait is reciting this to you, then Fawkes has done a great job. Phoenixes always have undying loyalty to their masters, even when they’re gone. Please give him a sherbet lemon from me.
Moving on to more serious issues, the road to finding and destroying the Horcruxes will be exhausting and more dangerous than anything you could imagine. You must put your entire being into this, Harry, or else the Wizarding World will face a terrible fate. I have placed a few objects to help you on your journey in hope that each may be of use. They are the pensieve, along with memories, portraits that connect to Hogwarts and the Ministry, and a library on the darkest magic and how to defend against it.
I would like for you and your friends to stay here throughout your journey. You can only defeat Voldemort with their help.
I hope you enjoy the comforts and truths that lie in this house. If you have any questions, ask Minerva, she helped me build this house.

Forever Yours,

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. Please allow Fawkes to leave, he has a letter to send to Minerva.”


Harry nodded towards Fawkes, who spread his wings and soared away. He walked up to Dumbledore’s portrait. “Is it really you, sir?” he asked.

“Yes, Harry,” and Harry could see the twinkle in his eye again, “it is me. It is late, so I must be going to sleep. I advise you do as well,” he smiled and closed his eyes.

“Harry?” Ron asked, “Why are we here?” Harry handed him the letter and he read it aloud.

“Harry, what is Dumbledore talking about?” Neville implored.

Harry yawned, “I’ll tell you in the morning. We should go to bed.” The others nodded and went to separate rooms. Harry’s room was the largest, with a massive four poster bed on one side and an equally large wardrobe on the other. It was decorated with everything from portraits to walking furniture. Harry quickly took in the beauty of his new home and fell on the bed.




“These Corn Flakes are great!” Neville observed, still chewing his last spoonful.

“Yeah, these are bloody brilliant!” Ron agreed, “What charm did Dumbledore use to make them taste so good?”

Harry sighed, “Dumbledore didn’t charm these; I took the liberty of putting sugar in them. I did it all the time at the Dursleys’.”

“Oh. Well, it’s still brilliant!” Ron said, pouring himself a third bowl.

“Harry, when are you going to explain that letter to us?” Ginny asked impatiently, while absent-mindedly charming bread to butter itself. She and Hermione were making breakfast for themselves, while the three poorly skilled cooks consumed nothing but boxes of Corn Flakes.

“After,” he stated simply. “I wish Dobby were here, maybe he could make us something,” he said as an afterthought. At that moment the house elf appeared on the table.

“Mister Harry Potter called Dobby, sir?”

“Yes. Dobby, would you mind working here? I’ll pay you 10 Knuts an hour, and weekends off.”

Dobby’s expression turned to shock, “Dobby would be thrilled, Harry Potter. What can Dobby do first?”

“You can get all of the ingredients you’ll need to cook for us.” Harry handed him a bag of Galleons.

“Yes, mister Harry Potter, sir.”

“Don’t call me ‘mister’ or ‘sir,’ please.”

“Yes, mis”Harry Potter,” and he disappeared off the table.

“That makes life a bit easier,” Harry said to Ron and Neville. Both nodded but didn’t stop eating to respond.

“Harry,” Ginny called from the stove, “your owl has something for you.” Harry looked toward the window and saw Hedwig carrying a large animal, apparently to eat. Harry opened the window as the bird soared in and landed on the table, dropping the other animal in front of Ron.

“What’s your bird done with Errol?!” Ron asked vehemently. Errol woke up from its slumber and dropped a red letter in Ron’s Corn Flakes.

“Uh-oh,” Ginny whispered, “Mum’s mad. We should’ve sent an owl.”

“We didn’t have one, Fawkes left to go to McGonagall,” Harry replied.

Ron looked at the Howler fearfully, but was convinced by Neville to get it over with, “It’s not that bad, you’ve gotten them before.” Ron nodded and tore open the letter.

”RONALD BILIUS AND GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY! How DARE you?! Leaving in the middle of the night, taking our guests, not leaving a note! Are you unaware that VOLDEMORT is back?!”

Ron, Neville and Ginny cringed at the name. The Howler turned to Harry.

“Harry, how could you?” the voice was hurt, “I thought you of all people would understand...”

Harry couldn’t bear to hear Molly, the woman who always eased his pain, be disappointed. Finally, after what seemed like ages the Howler stopped.

“We should write her back and try to explain,” Ginny said.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Ron mumbled. He grabbed a quill and started to write. Ginny and Neville cleaned up the kitchen, and Hermione tried to heal Errol. Harry sat there stroking Hedwig as she ate his Corn Flakes.

“Ok, done,” Ron sighed.

“Let us sign it, too” Harry insisted. Ron handed the parchment over and all four signed it. Ron was going to tie the letter to Hedwig when a small ball of fluff pelted him in the head.

“Ow! What the bloody hell was that?” The fluff, which Ginny noted was Pigwidgeon, recovered from the blow and stood up, giving Ron another letter. “Oh, great,” Ron grunted, “She can’t get enough, can she?” He opened the letter: “Minerva sent me a letter and cleared it up. But you still should’ve left a note. Extra chores for you, Ginny.”

“Son of a bitch,” Ginny mumbled. Ron sniggered. “Oh, shut up,” she glared at him.

A loud knock echoed from the entrance hall. Harry got up from his seat in the kitchen. He turned left into the entrance hall and walked across the width of the manor to the door and opened it.

“Hello, Harry,” McGonagall spoke, as Fawkes flew off her shoulder into the house. “May we come in?” she nodded to herself and Slughorn.

He gestured them into the lounge. McGonagall had Apparated everybody’s possessions to the house, including Crookshanks and Arnold. Slughorn had gone into the library before entering the lounge, and brought out two books. One was an enormous book of Potions, purple with gold trim. The other was, if possible, larger. The book was so dusty Harry couldn’t read the title on it. Once the three were settled, Slughorn spoke.

“Great to see you again, Harry. Fawkes sent us a letter, explaining what we had to do to help you.”

“Yes,” McGonagall continued, “We are here to further your education. You’ll need every advantage to defeat Voldemort and destroy the Horcruxes.”

“You know?” Harry asked.

“I filled her in, Harry,” Slughorn explained, “Dumbledore asked me to in his letter.”

“Anyway, Harry, we will visit here every other Saturday to teach you five, assuming all of you don’t return to Hogwarts. I think it’d be best if they were here for what I’m about to tell you.”

Harry ran into the kitchen, where the four others were conversing at the table. “It’s McGonagall and Slughorn,” he explained, “They say they’re going to be teaching us.” He led them back into the lounge, and when all were seated, McGonagall continued.

“Yes. So, Horace and I will be teaching you five only what you will need to defeat Voldemort. I will try to teach you to become Animagi and Occlumency, and Slughorn will be teaching you Legilimency and how to make a variety of dangerous but useful potions.”

“Namely Felix Felicis and others that most wizards cannot brew. But, also, the library holds the largest book of charms and curses which we ask you to read.”

“Now, I ask all of you to ask your guardians if you can discontinue your stay at Hogwarts. Lessons will start in two weeks. That is all.” Both professors stood up and departed.




The five were sitting in the small owlery, waiting for their parents’ responses. Hedwig had just returned with the Grangers’ response. They had said she didn’t have to return to Hogwarts, but expressed doubt and confusion about what Hermione was getting into.

“Why not give them a subscription to the Daily Prophet? Then they would know what’s going on, at least,” Ron suggested.

“That might just scare them into making me return. I’m still a child in the Muggle world,” she replied.

“Yeah, I guess that’s true,” he agreed.

“Okay, Neville. You can use Hedwig now,” Neville stood up and tied his letter to Hedwig, who looked angry at having to deliver mail so soon. As she flew away, Pigwidgeon came into sight.

“I reckon she won’t let us. Not after what we did,” Ron told Ginny.

“But if McGonagall told her that this is Dumbledore’s plan, then she would respect that,” she asserted.

“Maybe,” he said somberly as Pig flew onto his outstretched arm. He read it silently to himself and sighed.

“What? What did she say?” Harry asked anxiously.

“Can we stay here?” Ginny asked.

“She said I can because I’m of age,” Ron recited, “and because You-Know-Who doesn’t know about this place.”

“So that means I can stay too, right?”

“She said she wants to discuss it with you after the wedding.”

Ginny grunted, “She has to let me stay here!”

“I’m sure she will, once you explain it to her,” Hermione consoled her.

The three boys discussed more serious matters.

“Do you think that McGonagall and Slughorn want us to practice dueling? You know, with the charms book?” Neville inquired.

“I guess so,” Ron answered, “But why don’t they just teach us?”

“Maybe it’s because we learned better teaching ourselves. Remember the D.A.?” Harry suggested.

Ron continued, “Yeah, that’s true. We learned more with you,” he pointed to Harry, “teaching us than with any other teacher, including Lupin.”

“So we’re going to continue the D.A.?” Neville was excited, “That’s great!”

“No, Neville,” Harry felt bad, “It’s just going to be us five.” Neville looked sad. Harry remembered how it felt to be the outsider for different reasons. Like how it was before he knew he was a wizard. He needed to help Neville feel wanted. I know what to do, he thought.




He had found the charm after hours of searching in the library. Now he just needed Hermione’s help. “Hermione? Where are you?” he called. I wish this house weren’t so huge, he complained. He heard movement in the bedroom. Ah ha! There she is! He walked down the hall with the book in his hands. He slipped through the door into the dark room. “Hermione?” he whispered. Nothing responded. “Lumos!” The sight made him fall down.

“Harry!” Hermione screamed.

“What the bloody hell are you doing?” Ron shouted.

“What the hell am I doing?” Harry said from the floor. “What the hell were you doing?”

“We””

“”Nothing””

“”No, Ron. We were...snogging,” she looked ashamed.

“There’s no need to be ashamed, Hermione,” Harry comforted her. “It’s not like you were snogging Zabini, or someone like that.”

“I know. I’m just sorry I didn’t tell you earlier.”

“Don’t be. I’m glad for you two,” he smiled. “Now, Hermione, could you help me with this?”

“Sure thing.”

“Ron, do you mind?”




“Harry, what are we doing out here?” Neville asked.

“You will find out soon enough. Now, Neville, I am going to ask you a question. Can I trust you with my life?”

“Harry?” his eyes widened in a mixture of surprise and terror, “Why are you asking me?”

Harry knew to be firm, “Please just answer the question, Neville.”

Neville looked at the ground and shuffled his feet for a few minutes. “Why did everyone else go to the Burrow, but not us?”

“Because they need to get ready for the wedding tomorrow.”

“Well, so do we. It’s only a few hours away.”

“Please, Neville, can I trust you with my life or not?”

Neville couldn’t dodge the question any longer, “Y-Yes, Harry.”

“Thank you,” Harry felt pained to put too much pressure on Neville, but he knew it was for the best, “Now, can I trust you with the lives of Ginny, Ron, and Hermione?”

He was stunned. “Harry, why are you asking me this?” Harry didn’t respond, he just looked into Neville’s eyes. “Y-Yes, Harry. You can trust me.”

“Good. Now, Neville what I’m about to do is big. Neville Longbottom, do you want to be the Secret-Keeper for this house?”

“Harry! You’re not serious, are you?! Why me?”

“Because you just proved to me that I can trust you.”

“Why not Ron? Or Hermione?”

“I trust you, Neville.” Harry wasn’t going to let Neville get out of this. Neville fiddled with his fingers, fighting with himself. Harry could tell that Neville didn’t want to let them down. “Neville, the fact that you are scared means that you truly care about us. Please, be the Secret-Keeper.”

Neville tried to look for any flexibility in Harry’s eyes, but saw none. “Alright. I’ll be the Secret-Keeper.”

“Good. Now this may hurt, I’ve never experienced it.” Harry took out his wand and pointed it at the manor. “Fidelo!” The house glowed a bright red color. He turned to Neville. “Now, I will put the location of this house into you. No one besides us will know the location. Only you can tell others.” Neville nodded. “Okay, then. He pointed his wand at Neville, Fidelitus!” The glow of the house was removed from the manor itself, and in a flash, entered Neville. He stood there with his eyes wide and mouth open. Finally, after what seemed several hours, Neville collapsed onto the grass, groaning.

“Harry?” he said weakly, lifting his head.

“Are you alright? Does it hurt?”

“No, not really. It just knocked the wind out of me.” Harry sighed in relief.

“Harry?” Neville asked again.

“Yes?”

“Thanks,” and he smiled with understanding as Harry pulled him up from the ground, and upright.