Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

On a night just like this by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
On a night just like this


The stars outside twinkled innocently. Crisp autumn air whistled through the leafless trees and the quarter moon provided light to the empty street below. Each house had a winding porch and a white picket fence. Godric’s Hollow was often described as heaven on Earth. The smallest hint of a sunrise glinted in the distant east, and a Daily Prophet lay on each doorstep.


October 31, 1981


A tall, hooded figure appeared silently from nowhere at the end of the street. He walked purposefully towards a large house on the corner. Pulling a long wand from the inside of his robes, the man arrived at this destination. He knocked.

~*~

A young man and woman were nestled together beside a warm fire on a cool fall night. The baby had just been put down to sleep, and they were enjoying the peaceful time between then and the moment the baby would awake. The woman rested her head gently on her husband’s chest. He kissed her forehead, taking in the flowery scent of her hair, which shone auburn in the firelight. The couple was tired of hiding. They wanted to be able to leave their home safely, but they knew they couldn’t. Both of their thoughts were wandering as sleep caught up with them.


They were brought abruptly back to reality by a small knock on the door.

~*~

“Take Harry and run!”


She ran blindly through the back garden. There was a sudden explosion from behind her, and thee Dark Mark flew into the sky. She was struck with a pang of terror and guilt.


“Foolish girl! Stay where you are!”


A flash of yellow light illuminated the scene. Death Eaters were closing in, and she couldn’t move. She willed with all her might for her legs to continue running, but it was no use. The young baby was still clutched tightly to her chest. Her baby. Her little infant boy. The day he was born flashed before her eyes, as did her wedding, her first day of school, and the day she got her letter from Hogwarts.


“Just give me the baby and you can live!”


She felt the bundle rise away from her arms and tried to clutch it tighter. The spell freezing her to the spot was released and she backed away from certain death. No matter what, she would not let go of her child.


“All I want is the boy!”


The woman shrieked with pain and fell to the ground gasping for breath.


“Don’t be ridiculous, woman!”


She rolled over facing the dirt with her son underneath her. He’d have to kill her.


“Avada kedavra!


The jet of green light mingled with a baby’s cry that night as a cloaked figure kicked over a woman’s body. He aimed his wand heartlessly at the child underneath.

~*~

“Ginny, get out of here!”


The dark haired man whipped out his wand and aimed a curse. He watched nervously as his wife grabbed their baby girl and headed towards the backdoor. With a whirl of red hair, they were gone. He focused his attention back to the task at hand. He wordlessly blocked a curse and fired off another. He did not want this to end in either way. Kill, or be killed. He furiously sent a stunning spell at his enemy “ his newly mortal enemy. He had just destroyed a precious heirloom of Helga Hufflepuff’s without Voldemort’s knowledge. Voldemort was acting too self-confident to know that he could very well die. The room was filled with the swishing of cloaks as the entire Order of the Phoenix appeared by his side. He was instantly filled with a strong emotion of pride. His best friend beside him, his adoptive mother behind him, and his wife and child on his mind.


“You can’t fight me alone? Like a man? Like your father?” The cloaked wizard taunted with the cold, high-pitched laugh Harry knew so well. Harry appreciated the help; this was too hard to do alone.


An Order member fell to the ground, blood spurting from their nose. Charlie Weasley grabbed their hand and disapperated. Two more Death Eaters tumbled.


“Harry!” Someone shouted, “finish it quickly!”


“You’re not a killer, Harry!” His opponent sneered. The memory of Albus Dumbledore swam to the front of his mind as he dodged another curse. He was strengthened with courage.


“Expeliarmus!”


“Protego!”


“Levi-“


“Crucio!”


He screamed in pain.

~*~

Ginny was running away from her beloved house with her baby girl clutched to her chest. She tripped over a tree root and fell to the ground. The baby cried even louder. She struggled to her feet and continued running to nowhere.

~*~

“Avada kedavra!” Someone shouted, and a shocked body rose up in the air and was slammed against the wall. It crumpled to the floor, undoubtedly dead.


“NO!”


“It’s over! Get out of here!”


The swishing of cloaks filled the air again as each Death Eater disappeared.


There was a ringing silence around the room as many of the Order’s members sunk to the floor.


“Harry!”


Harry blinked. He had done it. It was all over. Ministry officials were arriving to round up the Death Eaters.


Harry got to his feet and wandered over to the lifeless body of Tom Riddle. He had avenged his parents. It was all over.