Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Scarlet Crystal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I scribbled furiously, attempting to keep up with Professor Binns’ lecture. He, however, did not seem aware of the class he was teaching. Ginny had her nose buried in her diary. I’d attempted a few days before to get her to take actual notes in it, but she said she couldn’t because the notes would just disappear. We’d been back in school for a whole week by then, and I was ready to give up and let Ginny have her way.

Professor Binns had his back to us as he spoke. “See, class, the war had been arguably on schedule for several years. Tension was building up, and nobody was doing anything to lessen it. Witches and wizards had long been divided. The founding of Hogwarts School was somewhat of the stretch, and the four founders knew it; still, they, like the various parties involved with the war, remained stubborn. It is interesting. Some wizard historians have noticed a slight pattern in major wars in our time. Since the forming of Magic, most notably the Great Divide, wars have occurred systematically. However, most historians have been led to believe that the pattern has long since broken, seeing as the war of the Dark Lord arrived much too early to fall within the lines of the pattern.”

I stopped writing. The words “Great Divide” had reminded me of something in the back of my mind. I raised my hand, hoping to recall what it was.

“Oh, yes, Ms. Shalf?”

“Sir, I seem to have lost track of something,” I said timidly.

“Would you prefer that I repeat what I told you just now?”

“No. I was wondering if you might talk more about the Great Divide,” I hesitated.

“Ah. The Great Divide. I was just about to say more on that matter… One moment, Ms. Silth.” Binns floated through his desk briefly to obtain a fourth piece of chalk. May, who was sitting in the first row, had been sleeping. She woke with a start as our teacher neared her desk and began to write. Binns took no notice of her.

“When Magic was first formed, it was given out to a select few men and women. They had no wands, but received their power from a magical grove. However, after several hundred people had gained power, its magic faded permanently. Those who received the power were then set apart from the rest of humans. Many of them spoke a language that has been lost over the years. It was called Chirmin (pronounced Kur-mun, children). Interestingly, they dubbed their non-magical neighbors ‘Muckles.’ Over time, the word was adapted into English in the form ‘Muggle,’ thus creating the informal term for non-magical people. However, this was only part of the Great Divide, for this schism had two parts. The first divided magic from non-magic. The second was much more complicated.

“The Ministry of Magic did not exist yet, but a Council of Magic was held annually for some time. After a few years, some wizards began noticing that if they were not careful, magic could be contaminated and lost to the ‘Muckles’ that they were separated from. They suggested putting tabs on them and controlling them. A few of the more outspoken people went as far as suggesting confining them to one continent. However, they were strongly opposed by the majority of the group. When they recognized that they were not likely to win their case, they withdrew and formed their own group. The Chirmin word they gave themselves was the ‘Pureas,’ or Pure Ones. They did not send representatives to the annual Councils of Magic, causing the beginnings of a rift between the groups. Through stealth, they converted more wizards to their cause.

“If not for one specific event, the two groups might have destroyed each other completely. However, the First Prophecy was given. Wizards had been constantly creating spells and writing recipes for potions, but the first Seer had yet to emerge until then. Fortunately, when the Prophecy was given, the receiver recognized its significance and spread the word. Its original message has been lost, but we do know that it warned wizards that unity was vital to survival, and, if they were not careful, all of magic would be obliterated permanently. It was as if they were being tested.

“The Pureas decided it was in their best interest to adhere to the First Prophecy, as it was known, and return to the Council of Magic. Still, they had spent much time in seclusion, devising their own spells. The Council demanded that they reveal all of their secrets, a few were kept hidden by the Pureas. They claimed that they had a right to uphold their own systems. The spells they kept hidden were ‘Adevnea,’ or forbidden. The Adevnea were guarded with utmost care.

“However, the Council was enraged by the very idea of Adevnea. They threatened the Pureas, but to no avail. They would not hear of surrendering their secrets. Eventually, they took their enemies by force and brought them to the grove from which all magic had begun. There, they cut down all of the trees but the three that stood in the middle. They then built wands to harness the magic. One wise member convinced the Council to give everyone wands, creating a dimension of equality. However, he suggested that a few witches or wizards be left without wands, so that they could wield power much greater than any other and lead all wizardkind.

“The Pureas demanded that they have a say in this matter. Eventually, it was agreed that only one be put in each generation. They were not necessarily descendants, but ones that could carry the weight of the power. Thus, the position of ‘Protessa,’ or Protector, was started, even thought they had administered wands to every witch and wizard.

“The Adevnea were still kept secret. Eventually, the Pureas broke away entirely from the rest of the magical world. This, my students, is the second part of the Great Divide. They are given one name because they happened within 12 years of each other, early in the history of magic. Tension built, and eventually came to an open war. Each side now had its own spells, all of which were executed through wands, except for those of the Protector. Luckily, she was against the Pureas. Without her, the Pureas would have won. They almost did, since the Protector had not yet been found. It was a terrible dilemma. Everyone had the First Prophecy to worry about, and they had difficulty finding the first Protector. It took them six months. The war had almost been lost to the Pureas when she was found.

“Obviously, it was not lost, because magic still exists today. I might add that most every wizard who has heard of the First Prophecy calls it foolishness. There are a few that believe in it, however. Albus Dumbledore is one. But back to this war that we’ve been discussing since the beginning of class: both sides were stubborn and would not succumb to each other. They were led by a great warrior on each side. The warrior of the Council was called the ‘Laeo.’ The warrior of the Pureas was called the ‘Asherpen.’ They fought each other while the war was fought separately, each of them possessing a small portion of the qualities of the Protector. She focused mostly on helping the Laeo via the mysterious bond they are said to have had.

“The outcome of this individual battle is not known; the Pureas lost, but if the Asherpen and Laeo survived, we do not know. There are legends of their deaths and lives, none of which are likely to be true. My students, I would like to remind you to trust in fact. It is vital that you do. Now, when the war had”Ah, Professor Dumbledore. How may I assist you?”

Everyone turned to look at the door. Dumbledore stood there, twiddling his thumbs. He’d obviously been there for quite a while, waiting for Binns to notice him. I realized I had been so mesmerized by Binns’ lesson that I’d forgotten to take notes. I sighed and looked at Ginny. Her parchment had five words on it: “Magic and the Great Divide.” I sighed again. I hoped I could remember it all later.

Nobody else seemed to have paid much attention except for me. That wasn’t unusual though. Now, however, their attention was all focused on Dumbledore.

“Thank you,” he said quietly. “I wondered if I might speak to Susan Sholt?”

I flinched.

“Why, yes”go right ahead, Ms. Tolk.”

Sweeping my things into my bag, I stood up quickly. Dumbledore waited patiently as I moved toward the door. Once we were in the hall, he shut the door. He looked at me for several long moments without blinking. At last he put his hand on my shoulder. “Would you please follow me? I’d like to see you in my office if you are not too busy.”

I wondered why he was asking if I was too busy, since he’d already pulled me out of class. Instead of pointing this out, I shook my head.

“Good. This way.”