Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Scarlet Crystal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Sorry about the wait. Second semester has begun and life is difficult...


Dumbledore led me to his office in silence. After he spoke the password, the large gargoyles guarding the entrance jumped aside. I thought for a moment one of them blinked at me, but I put the thought aside as I marveled at the staircase. It spiraled upwards. Dumbledore and I stepped onto it as it curved upwards. At the top, there was a large door. We entered the small room.

The first thing I saw was a large, brightly colored bird sitting on a perch off to one side. The second thing I saw was my mother.

“Mum!” I shrieked, running to her. “What are you doing here?”

Mum shrugged. “I’m here to speak with Dumbledore to arrange your Hogsmeade visits.”

Dumbledore let us hug briefly, then slowly moved to his chair behind his desk. I stood by Mum, my hand on her shoulder. Dumbledore fixed his gaze on me. I twitched, but held my ground. I would stand firmly. I was a Gryffindor.

“I trust you found your way here easily?” Dumbledore asked my mother, his eyes still on me.

“Of course,” Mum laughed. She did not notice his searching gaze.

“Well,” he said, his gaze unwavering. “Now that we’re all here, I believe Susan has something to tell us.”

I was taken aback. How could he know about the strange things that had been happening to me?

“What’s this, Susan?” Mum asked, looking up at me. I withdrew my hand from her shoulder and took a step away from them. Dumbledore stood up.

“It’s quite alright, Susan, I assure you,” I murmured. “Sit, and I will explain. Then it will be your turn.” I nodded shortly and sat next to Mum, who eyed me warily.

“Your classmate, Paige, came to me a few days ago. She expressed concerns that strange events seem to be occurring around you. Madam Hooch informed me of your hovering on the Quidditch field-”

“Hovering?” exclaimed Mum.

Dumbledore held up a hand. “Yes. Quite explicitly hovering. Susan was experiencing broom trouble. I believe you fell off, is that it?” He nodded to me.

I managed a tiny, “Yes.”

“And as she was falling, she apparently stopped in mid-air, several feet above the ground.”

It was Mum’s turn to leap to her feet. “Was she okay? Did Madam Pomfrey see to her?”

Dumbledore assured her that she most certainly did. “Now, Susan, before we continue, I feel obliged to say that you must remember that you are in no circumstances in trouble. Paige made it very clear that you had no control over all of this. She also mentioned that other events have happened since then. I was hoping you could describe them to me?”

As he spoke, I felt strong resentment toward Paige. However, when he had finished, my anger had left me. I spoke up. “Well, there have been times when I won’t mean for things to happen. I’ll only want for it, and it’ll be done. At breakfast the other day, Mum’s letter was accidentally ripped, but when I held it, it”it fixed itself. I don’t know how.”

“Paige mentioned a few other things,” Dumbledore added.

I frowned. “I can’t think of anything else.”

“Perhaps you did not notice? Paige seemed to recall your quill dipping itself in ink for you, as well as your book opening itself.”

I was startled by this. “It did? I just thought I’d done it without thinking and noticing. Opening the book, I mean.”

Dumbledore smiled wryly. “Yes. The mind does tend to attempt to justify things it does not understand with a familiar explanation.”

“But Headmaster, what does this all mean?” Mum insisted.

There was a pause. “Susan, why don’t you step outside for a moment? I should like to speak to your mother.”

I stared back and forth between them for a moment. Mum glanced at me. I backed out of the room, shutting the door behind me.

I was immediately reminded of that day, back at the house in Hastings. Mum had spoken to Eric while I stood, paralyzed, in the kitchen. Once again, I couldn’t help but overhear their conversation.

“Please,” Mum was begging. “I don’t understand any of this.”

“Nor do I, Mary,” Dumbledore answered. I heard the sound of his chair being pushed back. His footsteps echoed on the stone floor. I felt guilty, eavesdropping like that, but I could not force myself away from the door.

“I can tell you very little without going into a long explanation,” he continued. “I must warn you immediately that this puts Susan in a very, shall we say, awkward position.”

“How so?”

“There is potential for great danger, Mary. I have noticed recent events that seem to indicate a great battle.”

“Is it one that picks up where the last left off?”

“Yes. But this one is different, very different.”

“I hope it is a short one, for all our sakes.”

“If I am correct”and I dearly hope I am not”it will not be short, but drawn out. Suffering awaits every wizard that lives today. No good can come out of it, unless this war is different than the one from over a decade ago.”

“How will it be different? Will we be stronger this time?” Mum speculated.

I heard Dumbledore sigh. “I should hope so. However, it looks as though our enemies will also have gained strength, perhaps taking a leaf out of their ancestor’s book.”

“Their ancestors?”

“Yes. I fear the results greatly, Mary. But there is no need to frighten everyone before it is time. Soon enough, we will be forced to cast aside our protective shield and face what we are sure to be up against. For the time being, let life go on. I am just letting you know this because Susan may soon be caught up in more than she can handle.”

“What would you propose, sir?”

“That is what I do not know. I need time to ponder it. Just be aware, the conclusion I come to may not be one you favor. But for now, I’d like to inform you that Susan has free clearance to visit Hogsmeade any weekend she likes to visit you.”

“Thank you, Professor.”

“Delighted, I’m sure. Shall we call Susan in?”

“Yes. I’ll get her.”

She approached the door as I scrambled a few feet away. As she pushed it open, wearing a fixed smile, I tried to look bored with standing on the landing.

“Won’t you come in?”

“Yes, Mum.” We walked inside.

“I’ve just told your mother that you have been given permission by me and your House Head to visit your mother any time on the weekends that you’d like. I am trusting you not abuse this privilege.

“I think that will be all. Have a nice day, Mary,” Dumbledore added.

“Thank you. I must go now. Madam Rosmerta will wonder what’s been taking me so long,” Mum mentioned.

I threw my arms around her.

“I’ll see you this weekend, darling,” she said gently. I nodded and excused myself from Dumbledore’s office. I had a lot to think about.