Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Scarlet Crystal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I’d never cared much for Quidditch after my bout with the broomstick on the first day of lessons. I’d gotten an exempt afterwards, thanks to the unusual circumstances that everyone seemed so excited about. I didn’t mind doing homework instead of flying, as my body shuddered involuntarily whenever I had to touch a broom.

However, it was nice out that weekend, and Gryffindor was playing Hufflepuff. Paige liked Quidditch. At least, she liked watching the players. She was always interested in watching people, especially the ones she felt strongly about, for ill or no. I agreed to come down to the game that morning, though I made Paige promise me she would let me close my eyes if I began to feel sick.

I set my book down on the table next to me with a sigh and stood up. Paige rocked back and forth on her toes as I slowly gathered up my cloak. She giggled. “You won’t need that. It’s warm out, you know.”

I shrugged and dropped it on my bed. Paige clapped her hands. “Let’s go, all right? The match won’t wait for us to begin.”

We walked to the dormitory door and stepped outside. Ginny was three feet away, clutching her diary and staring at the wall. The door closed with a snap, startling her.

“Hello, Ginny,” I said stiffly, feeling I should say something. She didn’t acknowledge me, only stared through me at the door behind us. Her eyes were glazed over. Paige tugged my sleeve. I knew something was wrong with Ginny, but I allowed myself to be pulled past her into the common room.

“Do you suppose she’s been writing in that diary too much lately?” Paige muttered as soon as we exited the Portrait Hole.

“Have fun at Quidditch, dear!” the Fat Lady called. We paid her no heed and quickened our pace slightly, reminded of our destination.

“She looked horrible,” I admitted. “Her eyes were icier than usual. That’s bad; it must be.” I glanced at Paige. “However, I’m not going to talk to her about it. That’s her problem.”

Paige made an angry noise. “Come on, Susan. She is, er, was… she’s your friend. You should be trying to help her when she’s in trouble in a time like this. That’s what friends do.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m not mad at her,” I objected.

“That was ages ago. That was the first word you’ve spoken to Ginny in at least a week, if not more! Doesn’t that mean something to you?” Paige demanded.

“It’s not like she wasn’t lying to me and keeping things from me,” I persisted. “She made sure I didn’t know about Colin for months! Everybody but me must have known about it.”

“That may be, but she probably had a good reason for it,” Paige said. “If you’d only ask, she might tell you.”

“She doesn’t seem to be in the best state to talk right now, to be honest,” I commented. “We both saw her.”

“Have you heard anything I said?”

“All of it.”

“But do you understand what I’m saying?”

“It’s rubbish. She needs to be the one to say she’s sorry.”

“Oh, Susan, please””

We stopped at the foot of the stairs. The lawn stretched out before us. Interestingly, everyone seemed to be moving towards us, rather than towards the Quidditch field. I glanced at Paige. She was frowning and scanning the crowd.

“What’s going on?” I murmured.

“They’re all coming back. Look, there’s the Hufflepuff team. The game must be called off today.”

“Why? The weather isn’t bad.”

“There must be another reason…”

People were chattering worriedly, swarming past us in thick groups. I turned to follow them, but Paige grabbed my arm. “Do you think something bad has happened?” she said wildly.

I didn’t reply, but removed my arm from her grip and dashed inside. Things didn’t feel right. The air was heavy with something unnatural. The pressure weighed on my lungs as I darted through the crowd and back to the common room, where I ran to the window and looked out towards the Quidditch field.

The last of the students and teachers were streaming out of the stands towards the doors. Nobody seemed to be panicking. I collapsed in a near by chair as the Gryffindor house filled into the room, the noise mounting until the room was filled with students. It pounded in my ears, making me want to push them away. I shut my eyes and held my breath, trying to calm my racing thoughts. I was beginning to succeed when somebody tapped my shoulder.

I stood up so quickly that I nearly tripped over somebody’s abandoned cloak lying on the ground in front of me. I whirled to face whoever was behind me. It was Professor McGonagall. Her face showed a hint of worry as she bid me follow her away from the room.

I followed her, my legs working mechanically as she led me down stairs, through corridors, and past hallways. Before I knew what was happening, I found myself sitting in Dumbledore’s office. Again.

Dumbledore was waiting patiently behind his desk. Professor McGonagall left immediately to return to the common room. She needed to tell the rest of the Gryffindor house what was going on. I didn’t watch her go, but sat in the chair by the great desk, looking at my feet.

“I’m sorry to bring you here,” Dumbledore began quietly, “but whoever is attacking students has struck again. Hermione Granger is currently lying in the Hospital Wing.”

I did not move. Hermione? The Hospital Wing? It made no sense.

“How?”

“If I knew, this problem would already be solved.”

I looked up, but did not look at Dumbledore. I suddenly felt very tired.

“This can come to no good, Susan. We all know that. Unfortunately, this matter is now considered out of hand.” He paused. “There have been enough attacks for me to worry for your safety, as well as the other muggle-born students at Hogwarts. However, I’m particularly concerned for you.”

I didn’t need to ask any questions. I knew he’d tell me what he wanted to say in time.

“You are a unique girl. You seem to have a quality that most magical people do not posses. I’m not sure what to say, other than it is important that you are kept safe from this kind of disaster. Do you follow me?”

“Yes, Headmaster.”

“Good. I’ve recently received mail from a woman. She lives quite a ways north from here, but you and she share certain qualities. That’s why I sent her and owl, asking if she was ready to take on an apprentice.”

I blinked several times. The bookcase I was staring at was still in focus, though I was not really seeing it. Why did I need to become an apprentice? What about school? Mum? Paige? Misty?

“If your mother would consent, I would have you go. Nonetheless, it is not my choice to make. Are you willing to leave Hogwarts for a while? I can’t tell you how long it would be, but it could be for quite some time. Susan, what are you thinking right now?”

I flinched. “I was wondering how I could leave my studies off for so long.”

Dumbledore smiled grimly. “I can safely say that is the least of your worries.”

“What about Mum?” I faltered.

“You’d stay in touch, naturally… Miss Sholt, I must confess that though I value your opinion, it is desirable for you to agree to my terms. Your safety is important to me, and your friends as well. That’s why we’re doing this. At the same time, the woman you’d be apprenticed to would be able to help you with your gifts that we are unable to explore here at Hogwarts.”

I could not bring myself to look into his eyes. There was not a choice after all. He’d only said that to make me feel better. I felt a streak of resentment towards the old man sitting before me. How many times would I be uprooted for the sake of magic? Was it really worth it? He was managing me like any other student. Was I really valuable enough to be sent away? If I was, I didn’t feel ready for it.

But I nodded, for lack of words as well as a lack of options.


A/N: I have finished writing A Fresh Start! There are a total of 22 chapters and a prologue, so 2 more come after this one. Then it's done! Naturally, a sequel will come in time, though I have to take a break from writing about Susan for some time. Please forgive me; after all the chapters are up, check back in a couple weeks and there'll be a sequel up! And... PLEASE REVIEW.