Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Scarlet Crystal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I wrote this chapter long before I wrote the four before this one. Like JKR, it needed a place and I felt it fit here; it ends the story nicely. Yes, there will be a sequel, but I have not begun writing it.

Mum took my hand as we trudged down the old dirt path. The sun hovered behind a cloud, casting odd shadows over the hilly landscape before us. There were plenty of trees as well as a small brook. I looked up at the stone wall on top of the hill. I knew that once I passed through the stone archway there was no turning back.

Out of habit, Mum reached for her wand. I shivered slightly, but walked straight ahead. If Dumbledore thought I was supposed to be here, then I probably should not be thinking about turning back any time soon.

Ten minutes later, Mum and I had climbed to the top of the rocky hill. The stone wall stood before us, with the archway in the middle. Moss was growing in all of the cracks. Something felt strange about that wall, as if it held some sort of old magic. Neither Mum nor I took a step forward. It felt as though we should be invited inside.

Through the dull iron of the gate I spied several terraces of gardens. Trees bearing dark fruits dotted the scene in what appeared to be a random order to my eyes. Ten yards from the wall—which formed a sort of courtyard, boxing in the garden—stood an old stone cottage.

As I stared at the strange place at my feet, Mum let go of my hand. I did not move, but focused on the house, for that was what it must have been. The door was opening quietly. A small wind whipped my hair around as a woman stepped outside.

Though she must have been quite old, her back was straight and she walked with purpose towards us. Her hair was nearly all white, yet a few blond streaks remained. Her skin was smooth and did not display any signs of age. She wore a long, flowing brown robe that covered her whole body, excluding her arms, which were bare except for a thin bracelet on each wrist. She looked at the ground as she walked towards us. It was as if she hadn’t seen us, though I knew she had.

When she reached the gate, she at last looked up. I could not bring myself to look her in the eye. She slipped a cool hand around the bars of the gate and pulled. A strange wrenching feeling erupted under my skin. Mum did not seem to be affected by it at all. The woman pushed the gate as wide as it would go. “Do come in,” she said. Her voice was just louder than a whisper, but I could have sworn I heard a hint of amusement.

Mum nodded shortly and placed her hand on my shoulder. I forced my legs to move. Once we were inside, the woman shut the gate. I had an odd thought that I would not be leaving this place for some time.


“My name is Taryn,” the woman said as she stroked the fire. “And you are Susan and Mary.”

“Yes,” replied Mum. I stole a look at my surroundings. The stone walls were covered in tapestries. Each seemed to tell a different story. One wall had two doors squeezed between many tapestries. The first was wide open; I spied two beds. The second was shut; I knew instantly that the second door was closed for a reason.

Taryn waved her hand at a few chairs by the fire. “Sit, if you would like,” she offered pleasantly. I sat thankfully, after our tiresome trek up the hill. Mum sat next to me while Taryn sat opposite me.

“Welcome to my home,” Taryn said. “It’s nice to have another apprentice at last.”

Mum stirred. “Apprentice?”

“Yes. That is why you are here. Dumbledore sent you, no?”

“He did. But he did not tell me exactly why,” Mum explained.

Taryn leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes. “Unique man, he is. Never tells anyone what he thinks they should discover for themselves.”

“I see,” said Mum stiffly.

Taryn’s eyes snapped open. “I realize that you are concerned, Mary,” she said evenly. “I’d like to assure you that Susan will be entirely comfortable here with me.”

“Hang on,” Mum objected. “We haven’t decided whether or not Susan is to stay. I don’t even know what she’ll be learning.”

Taryn fixed her eyes on Mum, who stared at the ground. “To answer your first, there is not much of a choice. You came to me. Susan must decide for herself, and that in due time. To answer your second question, Susan will be learning and perfecting the old magic that requires no wand but great power unknown to most wizards.”

She turned her eyes to me once more. Mum did the same. I returned her glance.

“Now, Mary, I think it best that you and Susan says your good-byes.”

Mum stood up a little too quickly. I rose slowly. I did not want Mum to leave, but I knew that I belonged here, with Taryn. Besides, she had mentioned all too casually that I did not have much of a choice.

“Susan,” Mum mumbled, pulling me into a hug.

“You may write her, of course,” Taryn said. “I can’t promise she’ll write back, though. We’ll be very busy.”

Mum bristled slightly, but remained silent.

“I love you, Mum,” I said in the most assuring tone I could muster.

“Love you, too,” she responded in a muffled voice.

Feeling it was time, I pulled away from her. She looked sad but determined to let fate run its course as she stepped back and bid Taryn farewell. I waved quietly. Taryn allowed me to watch her pass through the garden and beyond the gate. Mum turned once to smile at me. I retuned it, but allowed Taryn to close the door on my old life.


“You know, I first knew something was different about me when I was already sixteen,” Taryn said conversationally as she poured us a cup of hot tea. “I was without a wand in a rather uncomfortable situation, but managed to perform magic anyway. When was your first time?”

I sipped the tea carefully. It was hot and burned my tongue slightly, but I drank anyway. It tasted like mint, but had herbal properties that I had never tasted or heard of before. “I was learning to fly,” I answered. “Of course, everything went wrong. I even blacked out. Apparently, as I fell from my broom, I stopped falling in midair. I hovered there until somebody took me down.”

Taryn chuckled. “Yes. Convenient, isn’t it?”

I smiled, feeling relaxed. It might have been the tea, but I felt much more at ease with her after that.

“Where do we begin?” I asked after a time.

Taryn raised her eyebrows. “Begin? My dear, we have already begun.”

“Right. I meant my apprenticeship.”

“I have already explained: it has started. I should tell you that you won’t be taking classes or anything like you’d think. I’ll teach you everything you’d learn at school, but mostly you’ll be helping me out in the garden and learning what you came to me for. It’ll come, but in bits. First, I should like to get to know you better.” She took a large swallow. “Can you tell me what is in this drink, Susan?”

I frowned. “Well, mint. And then… er…”

Taryn’s eyes twinkled. “Yes, the other one is a bit new to you, isn’t it?”

I nodded. “What is it? Does it grow in your garden?”

“It’s called fieren, and yes, I like to grow it in my garden. Quite a taste it adds!”

I drained the last of the hot liquid. Before I could stop myself, I yawned.

Taryn laughed. “I’ll bet you’re tired. You’ve come quite far from Hogwarts, and climbing this hill is not easy. Believe me; I’ve felt it in my old age… Now, let’s get you to bed. We’ll go into the garden early tomorrow, so rest up.”

She led me through the open door into the bedroom. It was cramped, but I felt comfortable as I snuggled under the thick blankets made of some foreign material. “Good night, Taryn,” I murmured, my eyes drooping.

“Good night, Susan,” she replied, running one finger across my forehead. Sleep engulfed me and I knew no more.

A/N: Now that you've read, please leave a review for the final chapter! And check back in a while for a sequel that is coming someday...