Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Fresh Start by Scarlet Crystal

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Chapter title is from an episode of the TV show, Alias, by JJ Abrams. Thanks to Jedida for her awesome "Said is Dead" page!


Taking a deep breath, I pulled the thick wad of papers out of the envelope. Mum pulled herself closer to me on the bed so that we were sitting side by side, looking down at the first paper. It was a piece of thick parchment, with black, curvy letters dancing across the page. It looked so official that I paused for a moment to admire the writer’s penmanship. Mum pulled me out of my day dream after a moment, saying, “Susan? Is something wrong?” I looked at her quickly and shook my head.

“No. I was just…” I trailed off, and began to read.

‘HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Murley,
We are please to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await you owl by no later than July 31st.
Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress


“Witchcraft,” I said quietly. “Wizardry.” The realization that I was not a normal girl was beginning to sink in. Misty crawled onto my lap and began to purr contentedly.

Mum seemed to be searching for what to say. Fear crawled into me. Was this why Dad had left?

“Mum. Why did Dad leave?” I said, trying to keep my voice steady. I think she knew I wasn’t just asking why he left, but why he always yelled. Why me?

“I don’t know if you remember this,” she started carefully, trying to approach the topic nicely, “but when you were around seven or eight years old, Misty came off the ground all by herself?”

“Actually, yes,” I said, timidly. Mum seemed saddened by this.

“I see,” she said, sighing heavily. “Well, your father didn’t know up until then about- about me. I’m a witch, and so are you, Susan. He wouldn’t accept that, and so he got angry.” I shifted uncomfortably.

“Was that why he always yelled?” I said, afraid of the answer. Mum looked at my letter, and then at me.

“Yes,” she said. “He never got used to it. I tried to talk to him, but he never wanted to listen. It’s made us grow apart.” I could hear the hurt in her voice.

“Did you ever tell him about this before?” I asked, holding up the papers, feeling upset. Mum had made Dad leave. He probably hated me now.

“I was afraid to tell him,” Mum said. “And look what happened when I did!” I knew she meant Dad leaving. Resentment crept in, but not towards Dad. It was towards that school. It had made my life hard, and I was not about to just forget what had happened to me and Mum because of it.

“I’m not sure I want to go,” I said softly. Mum looked at me, surprised.

“Why not?”

It was my turn to be surprised. Why didn’t she understand? “It made Dad leave us,” I said a little too loudly.

“I know that, but that’s not the only reason,” she said exasperatedly. I paused in my anger.

“There was more?” I felt embarrassed for jumping to conclusions.

“Well, ever since I told him, your father has been, well, less close to me. And you. He’s been…” she stopped, apparently unable to go on.

“What happened?” I asked, horrified. Mum looked pained.

“He’s been with other women,” she said in a rush. I gasped, bringing a hand up to my mouth. My Dad was unfaithful! I had always been taught that people who did that were bad people. That meant my father was bad. I could feel tears welling up under the surface. Poor Mum must have gone through so much. My anger faded and pity took its place. I felt so sorry. I took one look at Mum and saw years of unhappiness surfacing. I immediately threw my arms around her like I always did after Dad yelled. I knew at once that I didn’t hate magic and Hogwarts anymore. I hated Dad. He had made Mum, who I loved dearly, unhappy.

“I’m so sorry!” I whispered. A tear or two escaped from my eyes. Mum remained strong, however, and kept the tears inside. I marveled at how brave she was.

“But back to your letter,” she said, a small smile appearing on her face.

“Right,” I said, wiping away my stray tears and setting the first piece of paper down on the bed. There were a few other pages, so I skimmed over the next one. It was a list of supplies I’d need, like my uniform, books, and so on. At the bottom of the page was a capitalized note that read, “PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.” A little above that was a small note that said, “Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad.” I looked at Misty, who was swishing her tail back and forth.

“Can I take Misty with me?” I asked hopefully. Mum looked at me, glowing with pride.

“Then you really do want to go to Hogwarts?” she asked. I nodded and grinned. She pulled me into a hug.

“Oh, I’m so proud of you, Susan!” she mumbled into my auburn hair. I closed my eyes and let her warmth flow over me. My mother was the best Mum in the whole world.