Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dust Has Only Just Begun To Form by just_riot

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The title of this story is part of a song, by Imogen Heap. I, in no way claim the rights to it. Also, all characters belong to the masterful J.K. Rowling.



The hot heat of Sydney consumed Hermione. Even though
she had been in Australia over three years, she had never gotten used to it. England never had such heat like this, and for some peculiar reason she missed the cold of England.

Lately, Hermione had begun missing more and more of her home. When she left, it was nearly two years after graduating from Hogwarts. Harry had defeated Voldemort, and it sadly cost him his life. Ron and Hermione had barely escaped, and were so in love that no one would have thought Hermione would go to Australia. She wasn’t going to, but Ron told her that if she went, he would wait for her because it was an opportunity that Hermione could not pass up. She often remembered the day she left, and every time it choked her to tears.


“I don’t want to leave you Ron. Not for three years.”

She had sobbed. But Ron took her hand, kissed her and told her to be brave.

“I’m not going anywhere.”


Hermione took that promise and held it with her, all the way through Healer Training. It was what kept her sane.

On a dull Friday afternoon, Hermione went to get a coffee with her roommate and best friend in Australia, Michelle. Michelle was the sort of girl that always lived every moment to its fullest and she was constantly trying to get Hermione to let her hair down, as it were.

“I miss Ron, so much. For days now, I picture what it would be like to go back to him, but every situation ends up with a white wedding day, and I know that isn’t the case. No one can pick up things just like that, and we’ve been away for three years.” Hermione said.

“You guys were engaged Hermione, why would it go wrong? Sure, you and him haven’t written or spoken in the last year, but he did tell you to go. And he told you that he’d be there when you got back. So, go back.”
Michelle debated. Hermione murmured and took a small sip from her latte. It was so hot, it burned her upper lip, but she didn’t want to show any pain, so she didn’t let on.

“He might not even want me back. Maybe he gave up on me, and he won’t want to see my face again.” Hermione mumbled, now starring down into her coffee cup. Michelle looked at her friend with pity, and told her that she’d never know until she tried. Hermione rolled her eyes and despite her conscience, she agreed to go back to Ron.

The Burrow was bustling with excitement. Molly Weasley and Ginny Weasley were so thrilled to have Hermione coming back. In the last three years, both Fred and George had gotten married, Bill had a divorce from Fleur (which was a blessing to the rest of the family), Percy had sadly died, and Ginny had a daughter, the child of a missed Harry, named Lily. Ron had moved out of the Burrow to a nice house in London.
“Ginny, have you called around your brother?”

“Yes, mum, I did. Although, Ron was really curious as to why it was so imperative he come for dinner tonight.” Ginny explained. Mrs. Weasley shrugged and carried on cleaning the kitchen. In a few moments her son would be with them, and then he would be reunited with the love of his life. If there was anything that Mrs. Weasley loved besides her family, it was love itself.

Hermione stepped up to the fireplace, her knees shaking. She was so nervous about seeing everyone from her youth again. Michelle was by her side, reassuring her that this was the right thing to do but even her friend’s encouragement was not enough to keep her lips from going white. She felt like she was being Petrified, all over again. With a deep breath, and a hug from Michelle, Hermione threw the Floo powder into the fireplace and shouted, “The Burrow!”

Hermione stepped into the green flames that seemed to tickle her and suddenly she was sucked into an awful spin. The roaring in her ears was a painful memory of why she never enjoyed traveling by Floo in the first place. But just as soon had she been sucked into this, she was sucked out, onto a cold hard wood floor. Hermione had managed to land on her knees, and she was virtually soot-free. She quickly got to her feet, and looked up to see 5 smiling faces to greet her, Mrs. Weasley, Mr. Weasley, Ginny, Bill and a tiny little toddler. Immediately, Hermione was smothered by hugs, and she burst out with laughter and giggles. Nobody noticed the little pop noise, until…
“Hermione?!?!”

Everyone let go of Hermione, and time just seemed to stand still. Hermione didn’t even look up for a few moments, slightly afraid of the outcome. Ron was standing in the doorway of the living room, his jaw dropped and gaping. He was still as tall as ever, with slightly longer red hair, and his freckles had faded a bit.

Hermione smiled at him, now convinced that she had done the right thing by coming back. All the love she felt for Ron came rushing to her once more. She was now reminded of their first kiss, on the night of Harry’s funeral, in the spring of their seventh year at Hogwarts. It was magical, and if she could ever relive a moment in her past, that kiss would be it. They both were hurting from the loss of their friend, but the kiss was the perfect way to escape all the fear, damage and darkness that surrounded them.

“Ron! Wait up!” Hermione called, trying to run as fast as she could with her long robes on. Ron was gaily sprinting ahead of her, while calling her name. They reached the dark lake, and when Hermione caught up with him, after he had stopped, and told him he was acting crazy, he threw himself at her. Their lips touched, and an immense amount of live and passion escaped them both. Ron didn’t care that it was raining, and Hermione didn’t mind when they both sank to their knees in the cold mud. They were together, and that was all that mattered.

“Hermione, I have been a complete idiot. I’ve loved you for so long, and I just couldn’t see it for some reason.”

“Oh, Ron, it doesn’t matter. We’re here now, and nothing can take this away from us, not even Voldemort. This has been 5 years in the making for me.”

They must have sat out in the cold for hours, kissing, although they never felt it. An odder couple hadn’t been seen in a long time, however they loved each other.

Hermione was brought back to reality, and a cold shiver ran up her legs and her spine, all the way to her neck. Her heart started pounding so loudly she was afraid someone else could hear it as well. Something about Ron’s expression didn’t feel right, but she couldn’t put her finger on the problem, until she noticed something in the corner of the room that hadn’t been there before.

Out of the shadows, stepped a thin girl, with a sweet face, and long smooth chestnut brown hair. She smiled at Hermione and when she realized Ron was to shocked to do so, she introduced herself.

“Hi, you must be Ron’s best friend Hermione, the Healer. He’s told me so much of you. I’m Melody… Ron’s girlfriend.”