Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Imperius by Pallas

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here we go. This is the end. :)
Epilogue

The next few weeks proved interesting.

Remus had been the first to admit that he was having difficulty adjusting to life without the wolf. For as long as he could remember, it had been there, lurking, watching, waiting to pounce and to be alone in his own mind, to know that every thought and impulse that he felt was all his own… It was different, to say the least. For the first time, he could draw a line, say to himself and others that this was him and him alone. And although so much of his life, his personality had been shaped by what he was, by what he knew lay inside of him, it did not change the fundamental fact of who he was.

It was really rather reassuring.

But it was not until his first post-Kiss full moon that Remus truly came to terms with the new equilibrium of his life. The transformation itself had been much the same, the familiar wrenching tear of his body as it twisted into its wolfish shape. But in his mind, he was alone. There was no roar of the wolf, no battle, no sense of imminent invasion. Even Wolfsbane had never freed him so completely from his now absent other half. But it was on the morning after, waking with the understanding that the wolf was truly gone, that his mind was truly his own, that Remus became comfortable within his own skin once more.

I’m me, he told himself. I was always me. I just didn’t realise it.

His emotions settled, falling back into familiar patterns. His father and Tonks, once she was well enough, were heaven sent, reminding him of facts he was vague about, helping him to understand how so little could change when so much within was different. His visiting hours were swamped by a sea of faces; Felisha and Avin, armed with invitations to their Christmas wedding, Harry, Ron and Hermione hurrying his return to school. Half of the Order of the Phoenix appeared at one point or another, mostly bearing gifts; Moody came with a foe glass and dire warnings about watching his back in future, Hestia Jones arrived from upstairs with a smile and chocolate and Dedelus Diggle, inexplicably, gave him a hat. Arthur Weasley brought him a banjo, insisting it would be a fine way to pass the time. Molly Weasley brought him a towering vat of soup.

Albus and Minerva’s visit brought the news that his classes were covered until the end of term and that they would see him bright and early next September the first. Remus wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or sorry.

Kingsley’s visit was more solemn. He brought with him a note from Peter Pettigrew.

Remus had stared at it for a long time, scruffy, familiar writing scribbled on Ministry notepaper. His eyes drifted across the three simple words that made up the sum total of the message.

Please, Remus. Please.

Kingsley offered him the chance to visit Azkaban or send a note in response.

Remus declined.

For this time, he had nothing more to say.

Tonks was released three weeks after she had awoken, well but for occasional weariness that eased away as time flew by. She came to see him every day.

And then, six weeks after the chaos of the Institute had changed his life forever, Remus Lupin returned to Winter Hollow.

And Nymphadora Tonks went with him.

Reynard Lupin was not there. Remus had not known what to say that morning as he stepped into his childhood home only to have his father turn to him and press the keys abruptly into his hand.

“It’s yours now, Remus,” he had said softly. “Rolphe’s invited me to live at Greystones and I’ve decided to accept.” He had smiled fondly. “We all have to go home sometime. And somehow I doubt you’ll be living here alone.”

And he had been right. His tentative invitation for Tonks to move in had been met with a squeal of joy and a very substantial bout of kissing.

There was no doubt about it. His life was going to be very different from now on…

* * *

“Are you sure my hair looks all right?”

Remus smiled fondly as he raked his eyes over the insane mass of bright pink curls that nestled on Tonks’ head as they glinted brightly in the glowing light of a glorious summer sun. The gentle breeze that drifted down the lane was ruffling them charmingly.

“It looks you,” he told her frankly, leaning forward to place a reassuring kiss against her forehead. “And that’s fine by me.”

He grinned as her eyes burrowed pointedly into his face. “Nicely evasive, Remus. Well done.”

“Thank you.”

“Git.” Her hand glanced off his shoulder with more playfulness than malice, but her eyes had drifted over to the vast grey pillars and elegant iron gates that waited just a few yards ahead of them. “But you do see why I’m nervous, don’t you? This is the first time I’ve met your family…”

Remus shrugged slightly. “I didn’t have any problems with yours.”

Tonks laughed out loud. “Excuse me, you knew Sirius long before I did! And I had to hold your hand under the table the day we had dinner with my parents!”

“I never said that was because I was nervous.”

The second blow was rather more forceful. “You’re a git, Remus Lupin.”

“I thought we’d already established that.”

Tonks shook her head, curls bobbing playfully. “Remind me why I risked my life to save you again?”

Remus grinned outright. “We established that too. Because you’re stupid.”

“Do you want to walk in there with a bloody nose?”

“Do you want to greet my family for the first time with a bloody fist?”

“I might be willing to make the sacrifice.”

But behind the banter and the hopefully fake threats, Remus could tell what feelings truly lingered within those dark eyes. Abandoning his playfulness, he reached out and gently pulled her into his arms, allowing his cheek to rest for a moment against the soft mass of pink that cushioned her head. Her chin burrowed into his shoulder.

“You’ll know my father,” he offered reassuringly. “And Rebekah, of course.”

"Rebekah's coming?" Tonks' voice was muffled against the folds of his robes as she buried her nose into his neck. “I wasn’t sure if she’d have time. She’s been so busy cleaning house at the Institute…”

“She’d have been less busy if you hadn’t demolished her ceiling.”

A cold and suddenly much longer nose jabbed sharply against the tender skin of his throat. “That wasn’t me.”

Remus winced slightly at the painful pressure but nonetheless managed a chuckle. “Of course not. But this is a Lupin family gathering; Rebekah wouldn’t miss that. And besides, she’s finished all the hearings now. It’s just a matter of paperwork and logistics.”

“What was the verdict?” Tonks’ muffled words were somewhat more subdued. “About the residents, I mean.”

Remus sighed as he gently tightened his hold. “Obviously, the ferals on Level Six are staying where they are. They’re too dangerous to be anywhere else and I agree with that.”

“Including Dolph?”

“Especially Dolph.”

“And the others?”

“Twelve have been deemed unsafe for release.” Remus was proud of the level tone of his voice. That could have been me. That almost was me. There but for the Grace of God once more… “They’ll stay in residence in the Institute. The rest have been given parole. They’re free to live in the outside world as long as they spend their full moons at the Institute and report in three times a month at the Registry. Felisha’s started a group for them to meet and discuss any difficulties they might be having adjusting. She’s invited me to come along.” He smiled wryly and with not a little hint of guilt. “However, I strongly suspect I’d get lynched on the spot.”

He felt Tonks’ arms tighten around him. “You can stop that right now, Remus Lupin. You can’t help what happened and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let you be miserable about it. War or not, you’ve got a second chance. And I’ll make you enjoy it if it kills us both.”

“That’s very reassuring.”

“Good.” He felt Tonks pull a face against his neck. “And speaking of which…”

Remus chuckled once more. “Tonks’ you’ve got nothing to worry about from my family. Trust me…” His mind darted back to the chaos of his first visit to Greystones, of Rufus’ daft humour, Thalia’s incessant chattering and Ruth’s friendly smile all wrapped up in a house full of rushing children and a slightly batty dog. “You’ll fit in just fine.”

A heart-shaped face tilted up towards him. “You’re sure?”

Softly, he reached down and captured her lips with his. “Utterly,” he whispered softly. “I love you. So they’ll love you too.”

Tonks smiled. Her face brightened like the rising sun.

“Come on.” One arm still wrapped snugly around her waist, Remus rested his head against hers and turned her towards the vast and imposing gates. In the distance, across the meadows, Greystones house gleamed invitingly in the beauty of the summer’s day. The sound of young Lupins at play echoed on the breeze.

He smiled. She smiled.

And then, together, they pushed open the gates and walked inside.

THE END

A/N: There we are. All done. I hope you enjoyed that. But honestly, you didn’t really think I wouldn’t end it happily, did you? ;) Oh and just to reassure you “ there will be no more cliffhangers in this fic. ;p

I must take this opportunity to offer massive, massive thanks to my beta Chriss who has stuck by me through the trials and tribulations of writing this beast. Please, all hail the MIGHTY CHRISS CORKSCREW!!!!!!!!!! :)

Many people have asked me about my plans for future writing and whether or not this sequel will have a sequel. The answer to the latter, I’m afraid, is no “ this is the happy ending so assume that the war is won and happy and alive in their little AU, Tonks and Remus move into Winter Hollow and live happily ever after. Or split them up. It’s up to you. ;) I have written a one shot of their life in Winter Hollow, which I’ll bung up at some point. As for my future writing plans “ I’m currently working on a post DH epilogue canon plausible R/T fic “ yes, you did hear me correctly ;p. I had this idea the day after DH and had to write it. You can look out for that too if you like. :) So there we have it anyway “ here’s hoping you all enjoyed the ride. :)