Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not Our War by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
June 28, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


There is talk of war amongst the muggles here, and I am getting worried. It is times like these when you seem universes away rather than just a few countries apart. Coming home to England, to John, and to you is all that keeps me going. Don’t let John forget his father; tell him I send my love from France. My work for Gringott’s should not last long, and I hope to be back home by Christmas. If anything happens, I want you and John to go into hiding, because I can’t lose you.


My friend Aberforth is even more concerned than myself. His wife just gave birth to their second son, Albus. Aberforth believes war is brewing, not only for the muggles, but for us, too. He is a seer, and he says fifty years will bring wizard-kinds downfall, unless man can love. Aberforth is a very odd man.


I want the world to be safe for my son, and this talk of war frightens me. Never get involved; it is not our battle. When I return, we will flee to where it is safe, and our son will have the life he deserve. He is a good boy, and intelligent boy, and I want him raised right. When he comes of age, we will send him to Hogwarts, where he’ll be safer than any wizard.


They are recruiting soldiers in the countries nearby, and I have heard of a plan to invade France through Belgium. Don’t worry about me; I will not get involved. If war breaks out, I will return home to you.


Keep working on the farm, and remember not to use magic in front of anyone. These are tense times; they might suspect you are a witch. That would be the end of a quiet life. If they didn’t lock you up out of fear, they would ask you to solve all their problems. Keep your head down, and be careful.


With all my love,
Daniel


August 4, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


Great Britain declared war against Germany today. Take John and hide. I’ve heard of a wizard village called Godric’s Hollow; you should settle down there, and I will join you soon. I can’t be home right away because with this war starting, I am needed even more.


They are recruiting special all-wizard armies to act as a secret weapon. Whatever happens, do not let anyone you know join. They say the war will be short, but I do not believe it.


The countries at war are calling their colonies and alliances. I fear this will be a war of the entire world.


I send my love to John. Wish him a happy birthday for me. I cannot believe five years has gone so fast.


Your beloved,
Daniel


December 25, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


This is anything but a merry Christmas. Men are dying all over Europe. The Gringott’s site where I work has become a battlefield. We arrived one morning and saw the soldiers digging deep trenches. It was a chilling sight.


You’re last letter was comforting. I am glad you decided to move to Godric’s Hollow, and it is good that you persuaded Mrs. Dumbledore and the children to join you.


The wizard army troop is not doing well. Occasionally, someone finds out that a soldier is a wizard, and they are instantly victimized. We have lost over two thousand men already. It is hard for them to use their wands while the muggles are watching.


Both muggles and wizards have come looking for more volunteers. They worry because now people know the dangers of war, there is not likely going to be a lot of new volunteers. Do not worry; I will never join.


I wish I were with you this Christmas. We have to work around the war, and it’s really inconvenient. I can’t wait for this to be over. Thoughts of a short war are forgotten, and no soldiers are home this Christmas. Enjoy it nonetheless, and don’t let John worry. I wish I could afford to give him the best Christmas, but it is not possible this year.


Stay hidden, my love, this is the worst war yet seen by this Earth. I hope to return home soon.


I miss you,
Daniel


April 22, 1915
Dearest Chloe,


Battle broke out for the second time in Ypres, where I work. We had to apparate out of there rather quickly. Wizards must have been amongst the crowd; thousands of gas spells were fired. This is very dark magic used by few. Most of the British soldiers fled the awful scene, except many Canadians. The outcome was terrible, but the battle is not over.


Be safe,
Daniel


November 16, 1915
Dearest Chloe,


Aberforth joined the wizard’s army. He left to aide in the fourth battle of Isonze on the 10th of November. Please take care of his wife and children – Albus is just over a year old. I tried to convince him not to join, but he was stubborn. I have not yet received an owl from him, and I am worried.


Today we worked on a deserted battlefield negotiating with goblins. They seem to enjoy the death and destruction of the war. My stomach was sick as I breathed the dirty air.


Never leave the home anymore. I want to be home by Christmas this year, but it may not happen. John must be growing up before your eyes.


All my love,
Daniel