Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not Our War by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
January 4, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


Take care of Mrs. Dumbledore and her children. I received word today that Aberforth was killed in combat. He was a good man, and a good friend. He never got to say goodbye, or even meet his second son, Albus. His children will grow up fatherless, as it appears John will. It has been over a year since I have seen you. You are still as beautiful as a sunrise, and John must be getting so big. I want to come home. I am scared.


Be careful,
Daniel


July 1, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


A battle has started in Somme. The foolish goblins are planning to arrange a meeting there. I have never met a crueler pack of beings. They have started their own army, and are killing people on both sides of the war. The giants, too, have set up an army, but wizards are bringing them down before they are seen by muggles. There are not many giants left. This is no longer just the muggle’s war. I have even heard of centaurs in Belgium helping whomever they can.


It was good to hear from John in the last letter; it is amazing that he is writing so well.


Be safe my darling,
Daniel



November 18, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


The battle of Somme is over, and it is terrible. 1.25 million soldiers are dead, and only a small amount of land was gained. It was the biggest blood bath I have yet seen. The goblins and wizards are mostly to blame with mass murder, but soldiers are proud in thinking that they brought down so many enemies.


I saw my first ‘tank’ today. It was made by the British, and it is already changing the war. A muggle rides inside it, and it can plough over anything, it seems. Bullets and spells do not penetrate the outside, and the tank can ride right over the no-man’s land. I’ve also heard of ‘aeroplanes’ and ‘submarines’, I think they are called, being used in combat. ‘Aeroplanes’ fly above like birds. They fire at other ‘aeroplanes’ and destroy them. Submarines are used in the water. They send torpedoes (they are kind of like the killing curse – deadly and unstoppable) towards other boats.


I want to return home, but the Minister of Magic is now advising against apparating. He says it is dangerous because, with war on our minds, we might accidentally apparate into a battlefield.


Do not let John know about these dangers; he is only seven. It would terrify him, and he would imagine them coming to your house – just as I fear everyday.


Be safe, Chloe,
Daniel



May 5, 1917
Dearest Chloe,


Britain has issued conscription. Muggle and wizard alike are being forced to fight. The Minister is insisting that we follow the law and join. He says it will be worse for us if we don’t.


I don’t want John to think that his father is a murderer. Please don’t tell him.


Each day I plead that this will be the last day of the war, but each day seems like the fighting will never stop.


I love you, Chloe; never forget it.

Be safe,
Daniel



July 31, 1917
Dearest Chloe,


I have been called to return to Ypres for it’s third battle. It is being called Passenchendale. I returned this morning to find that we are fighting in a swamp. It is a very bad condition, but we must fight any way.


They took away our wands and gave us those muggle guns. Holding that weapon, I realized that the wizards should have never gotten involved. This is a muggle problem, and I want out. I want to return to my wife and son. I want to see my son grow up. I want to be there when he opens his letter from Hogwarts. I want to be there when he boards the train. I want to see him graduate, get married, and have children. I want to be a grandfather. I want to come home.


Please, please don’t worry about me. I love you.


Be safe,
Daniel



November 6, 1917
Dear Daniel,

I heard that Passenchendale was taken, and the battle is over. Why have the letters stopped? Why are you not writing?


John is very proud off his daddy, as am I. I want you to come home. This war can’t last much longer. We will hide from the conscription, and we can be safe.


Quit your job. It is not worth your life! Come home and raise your son!


John would like to write you a message. He misses you.


Dear Daddy,


It is I, John. I am eight years old. Do you remember me? My hair is black and my eyes are brown. Mummy teaches me all about the war. Have you met a real live muggle? Have you seen an‘aeroplane’? When I am big, I want to fight just like my daddy. First, I need to get a wand so I can do magic like mummy. Did you go to Hogwarts, too? Mummy says I will like it there. I am going to go in four years. I want to learn how to do magic.


Mummy said that you did not return her last letter. Why not? Mummy was sad. Are you very busy? Are you all right?


When are you coming home?


Don’t forget me,
John Potter