Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Evans Vs. Potter by TheGoldPhoenix

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A flowering cloud of sweet perfume washed over a handsome boy with hazel eyes and unruly black hair. He turned to the scent and happiness flooded through him.

"Lily!" his heart fluttered at the sight of her.

"James? Oh, James!"

She collapsed in his arms, and he caressed her lovingly.

"I'm the luckiest girl in the world, Jamesie. You're so handsome and smart. I just don't deserve the popular and funny Quidditch Captain! I'm only Lily and you? You're SO much more. I love you James."

James modestly replied "Oh no, Lily. I may be amazing and witty but you are too!"

He leaned in swiftly and softly kissed her. James smirked as he felt her melt in his arms and sigh with happiness. Their kiss continued, becoming increasingly passionate.

"James? James!” He looked up to see what was wrong.

"JAMES!"

"Lily?" he murmured.

A barking laugh settled into a giggle and interrupted the lovely dream. "Oh yes, my love and the way you rumple your hair is just TOO cute."

"Sirius," James groaned, chucking a pillow at his best friend’s head.

"C'mon Jamesie old boy. We're going to miss the train!"
The Hogwarts Express whistled and began to pull away from Platform Nine and Three Quarters. As they looked forward to a new year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, students reunited with friends and began to fall into their old routines. One pupil in particular stood out from the masses. With her fiery red waves and startlingly green eyes, Lily Evans waved goodbye to her Muggle parents and reentered the world she loved.

"Bye Mum! Dad! Goodbye Petunia!"

Her parents waved merrily and blew kisses, but her older sister crossed her arms and looked around, embarrassed. As the figures grew smaller in the distance, Petunia began to pull Mr. and Mrs. Evans back toward the gate. Lily sighed as she thought of her cold sister. Petunia feverishly disliked the magical world, and Lily's acceptance to Hogwarts had put a damper on their relationship. Until Lily’s eleventh birthday, they were best friends. She sighed shakily as the memories of that hateful day resurfaced, as they often did.
“Liiiiily! Hurry UP!” the young Petunia whined. Her newly eleven year old sister laughed merrily “I’m COMING Petunia!”

They raced into the kitchen and nearly collided with their mother who stood stock still, staring at a letter and seemingly oblivious to the barn owl flying around their home in Surrey.

“Lily honey…you have a letter,” she shakily handed the parchment to her daughter and the first thing Lily noticed was the emerald crest and peculiar address

Ms. Lily Evans
Outside in the Yard
Eighty Five Carriage Stone Drive
Little Whinging
Surrey

Slicing the envelope, the explanation for the mysterious events appeared in eleven words on her eleventh birthday. "You Have Been Accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

Puzzled, Lily looked up to see her mother beaming. "Isn't it wonderful darling? Your grandmother was accepted as well but it's SO rare in the Evans family. Congratulations! Where would you like to celebrate?"

A huge sob cut through the excitement like a knife. Petunia glared at her little sister and spat "You're a freak and a monster! Don't touch me! Ugh, you're disgusting!" With that, Petunia thundered upstairs to her room, leaving no explanation as to her awful reaction.
The teenage Lily shivered once more in the autumn wind as she thought about the awful four years since then. Shaking her head to rid herself of these doubts and worries, she approached her usual compartment. Her best friend, Charlie, was already there, muttering at tiny figures zooming around a field. Quidditch, Lily thought with amusement, was Charlie's obsession, besides her contempt for Sirius Black. The wizarding pastime barely took priority for it seemed destiny that Black and Vollaro would despise each other for life.

"Speak of the devil," Lily arched an eyebrow as James Potter and Sirius Black tore around the corner, laughing from their latest prank.

"Well, if it isn't the beea-utiful Evans!" James let out a low whistle.

"What do we have here?" Sirius answered with a whistle or two of his own. "Prefect are we? Going to try to keep us in line this year, eh Evans?"

Both boys sniggered at the conspicuous badge as the door to compartment 13 slid open to reveal a livid teenage girl.

"Crawl back into whatever hole you came from Black." Charlie stated flatly, pulling Lily into the compartment.

"And the lovely Charlotte!" Black bowed deeply in mock fear.

Pausing only to hug Lily, "Charlotte" jammed the door closed, almost smashing Potter's fingers.

"What, no hug for me?" James pouted through the glass. With a loud sigh, he added, "I guess I'll have to turn to Sirius!"

"No way mate." Sirius jabbed him in the ribs, looking slightly alarmed. Upon spotting the food trolley, they continued gallivanting around the hallways.

Inside the car, the luminous female continued her tirade while Lily cringed at the assorted crashes coming from the main hallway.

"I might have known! Ugh, Black makes me sick! The cocky, pig-headed, arrogant, ugly, self-centered..." Charlie continued.

"Couldn't be talking about me, Charlie dear?" Alice Eisenberg completed the trio and was instantly engulfed in a hug. Charlie's tirade was forgotten as the girls began to catch up with each other and discuss the possibilities of their fifth year. Lily was enthusiastic about new classes and a new course, divination. Charlie blabbered about Quidditich and the lovesick Alice rambled on about her long-term boyfriend, Frank Longbottom.

When a comfortable silence settled, Alice changed the subject from boys in general to one particular boy.

"Has anyone seen James Potter yet? Sirius just may have some competition this year!" She cleared her throat significantly and added "Um, Lily? Have YOU seen James this year?"

Lily jumped, startled. "I'm sorry Alice, what did you say? It sounded like James Potter."

Charlie elbowed the giggling Alice and the chuckles subsided. "Yes, uh Alice here was just talking about Potter's good qualities."

Lily snorted. "What good qualities? I'm surprised he can even see the snitch with his big head! And the way he rumples his hair every minute! Ugh, he never studies and gets into trouble about as often as he slacks off. No, James Potter’s only good quality is that he has the sense to stay away from me!"

Charlie laughed, and her raven tresses shook with her. "Stay away from you? As if! James has only been obsessed with you since second year!"

Alice agreed with a strong nod and Lily groaned, exasperated with her best friends and the obnoxious boy himself.

"He'll back off this year. I spent the summer learning some new hexes. I am completely and totally prepared for anything Potter can throw at me."

So she thought....
Meanwhile, Sirius and James finally settled down into the plush seats of their own compartment. Through the windows, the English countryside was evident. Every first year was consistently warned upon boarding the train. THIS was the Marauder's compartment and heaven help the unfortunate student who claimed the area for himself.

Two boys, one small and pudgy and the other with soft brown hair, were already there. The quiet brown-haired boy was reading; while the nervous boy hopped up and down on his seat.

"Oooh, Remus! Look, they're here!" the stuttering boy bounced up and began chattering to James.

"Don't wet yourself Pettigrew," James finally shut him up and slapped Remus on the back.

"My fellow, Marauder!" he continued.

"James!" The book vanished as various blows were exchanged by way of greeting.

"Remus!"

"Sirius, Peter!" Sirius finished off the mock formalities and they all fell over laughing and talking about their start-of-term prank.

When her stomach began growling, Lily decided to look around for the witch and trolley, and left Charlie discussing strategies with Alice. Sadly, Alice was quickly nodding off.

Lily smiled as Alice fell into her blonde hair and blinked her blue eyes twice "Hmmm? Oh, yes, I think that will be wonderful."

Charlie paused. "Oh? You think so? Hmmm....I hadn't considered that move. But if Slytherin takes the Quaffle..."

Lily shook her head ruefully and turned, nearly knocking James over.

"Watch where you're going Evans! I know I'm hott, but a guy can only take so much." He smirked and batted his eyes.

"Ha, as if Potter," Lily replied sarcastically and strode off to the conductor.

"Hmm...I made Evans laugh! Finally, oh wait, she was laughing at me..."

"Not that I care Evans but where's the fire?" James caught up and began taking long strides to match the fiery Lily.

"I'm hungry."

"Oh, why didn't you say so? We've got Chocolate Frogs, Fizzing Wheezies, Drobble's Best Blowing Gum and your Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans." He gestured at their compartment and Lily realized they had the entire trolley.

Lily was speechless from the way James had winked at her and suspicious of his intentions. The handsome and popular Quidditch player was known as a ladies man, second only to Sirius Black.

Remus stood to acknowledge Lily's entrance, but Black stayed where he was, hair in his face, and a wide grin to match his attitude.

"Evans again? Couldn't keep off you, eh Potter? Well, I know how it is, chicks running around you like..."

"Sirius." Remus threw a look in his direction that shut him up fast. "How was your summer Lily?"

Lily gave him a thankful glance and replied "Good, but with all these attacks, kind of tense."

"My summer was ok." Black invited himself into the conversation quickly. "Naturally, my folks were awful, didn't expect that to change. So, I spent most of my time at Potter's house."

James laughed. "Yeah, I think my parents like you better than me."

Sirius sighed casually. "Well, you know how it is. I turned on the Black charm and his mother fell in love with me. Now James is like the next-door neighbor, but you can't really blame her."

James hit him over the head and turned to talk to Evans. Unfortunately, the girl was nowhere to be found and he sighed. She wouldn't even give him a chance...

In a final turn, Hogwarts came into view and there was a visible change in everyone's expression. This was a second home to many, and the only home for some. Lily sat back in her seat and looked forward to an eventful year. If only she knew how right she was...