Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Decoy by slipstick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

West gave Hermione a full account of his meeting alone with Morningstar and also with Bones. "But West, you have to answer her questions. She a government representative."

He pressed a brief kiss to her forehead. "When my mom was just kid, younger than we are now, a teacher told her, 'You don't have to do anything but die, everything else is a choice.' I think what you mean is I'll be punished if I don't cooperate. Yea, I don't know how Morningstar is pulling it off but he's playing his hand as if we were still in the U.S. and had the full force of The Constitution behind us. And Bones is knuckling under." He shook his head in wonder.

But to the others of his house all he had to say was, "Can't talk about it. Might prejudice the case."

*******

That evening the visiting dignitaries were seated at the faculty table. Madam Bones sat at one end next to Professor Vitreous with whom she passed many whispers and conspiratorial glances. Mr. Morningstar sat near the other end between Professors Flitwick and Quirrell giving brief answers to the endless questions posed by the little fellow who it seemed was fascinated by Native Americans. Quirrell and the American spoke briefly but exchanged many meaningful looks. From time to time Dumbledore glanced to either side and silently congratulated himself for the seating arrangement.

Afterwards the two yanks met at the door to the Great Hall. West said, "Mr. Morningstar, allow me to present the star in MY morning, Hermione Granger."

The lawyer shook her hand with a warm friendly smile, then spoke to West. "I was worried about letting you roam unprotected where you'd be a sitting duck for some vigilante. But after talking to the students and faculty I'm sure you're safer among a couple of hundred Gryffindors than in the Oval Office."

Hermione and Ron gave West questioning looks. He answered, "The President's work space."

"Tomorrow Pomfrey will show me the body and I'm scheduled to interview some Slytherin upper class men who should be able to give me the low down on just what Snape was like. Flitwick's still convinced that it was your wand that did the job, but maybe I can tie it to someone else. Well, I'd better turn in if I want to be sharp." He nodded and left.

As the first years winded their way to their respective common rooms Hermione took West's arm. "I, I'm a bit confused West. Some of what Mr. Morningstar says gives me hope, but the rest takes it away."

He gave her a smile like a good sport conceding a game he just lost. "That's the exciting part about the American justice system. You never know for sure just what tiny bit of evidence is going to sway the outcome, so we collect everything we can lay our hands on. In the words of the wise Yogi, 'It ain't over till it's over.'"

*******

Dumbledore caught Morningstar's eye as they were leaving the Great Hall and led him to the headmaster’s office. There, among the massive collection of ancient books and strange artifacts the old man gestured for his guest to take a chair. “May I offer you a drink, Mr. Morningstar?”

He made a dismissive wave. “No thank you. After seeing what alcohol has done to my people over the last three hundred years, I long ago chose to do without. And please, call me Joe.”

The old man returned the flask to the shelf without poring himself one and sat. “Joe, I can’t find the words to tell you how important it is to the welfare of both our nations that West be acquitted, or at least spared prison: justifiable homicide, extenuating circumstances, non compos mentis, something. I've spoken to Madam Bones informing her of the safe guards you as Americans have come to expect of the judicial system and offered her certain, eh, incentives to abide by them. I'm afraid she sees only the immediate results of the case; an alleged murderer removed from society and future criminals discouraged. She just doesn’t see the big picture.”

Morningstar’s eyes narrowed. “Headmaster...” Dumbledore raise his hand in admonition. “Albus, to be honest with you all I see is getting my client off. Just what IS the big picture here?”

Dumbledore's face showed the conflict he felt. "Joe, you must understand that what I'm about to tell you is in the strictest confidence. Not only would a leak cause chaos within the British government, but would bring about the darkest days for Europe since the second global war."

“All because one boy is or isn’t sent to prison?”

“This entire ‘exchange program’ is a load of (How do you say it in your country?) malarkey. Oh, everybody in the Ministry believes in it, or at least sees it in his own best interest not to get in my way. Who knows, it might even bring about the results I promised; wider knowledge of the students and international understanding. But that is all incidental. The only thing that really matters is to get one particular boy AWAY from Hogwarts.

Morningstar used his eyes to say, "Go on."

"His name is Harry Potter. He was destined from birth to be a great wizard and his name was placed on our rolls the day he was born. But there was a... complication."

"We did a fairly good job of covering it up, but at the time all of Britain was under threat from an arch mage who called himself Lord Voldemort, quite possibly the most powerful wizard in the world, and he was bent on world domination. I'm not exaggerating when I say the world would be better off under Adolph Hitler and his stooge Mussolini. I say that because they depended on hoards of loyal followers, anyone of whom might some day betray them. But with his powers Voldemort needed only a small select group whom he could control totally."

"A prophecy was made not long before Potter's birth that a boy of particular linage and birth date would face the Dark Lord in a final show down. No one else stood a chance of defeating him." The old man looked even older. "Harry Potter filled the bill perfectly. Voldemort tracked him down and tried to kill him at one year of age but some how the spell backfired. The baby was placed with a family of mundanes until he was ready to come here to Hogwarts." Morningstar filed away the fact that the headmaster not only knew the American word for non-magical person but also had the courtesy to use it.

"But I had other plans. Though the castle is guarded with all manner of protective spells and the year round residence of powerful wizards, I still did not have full confidence in it to protect the boy. I devised a subterfuge. I arranged for Harry to attend magic school in The States. To fill his place I located an American boy with talent and enticed him with the finest magical education he could imagine, at no cost. When he and his parents came over for an inspection tour of the school I placed a very subtle spell on him to confuse anybody using tracking magic that he was Harry Potter."

"So far the enemy has not shown his hand. If he does come here, he will be dumbfounded that Harry Potter is nowhere to be found. If they come face to face Mr. Westinghouse's true aura will tell him that this is not the boy he seeks."

"And you haven't shared this plan with your government?"

"Nobody save a select few of my staff."

The visitor nodded his head in approval. "A clever ruse, Albus. I would say it has every chance of working..." He paused for effect. "...IF West remains here to the end of term. But if he's convicted and sent up the river, the whole thing falls apart. Fortunately, I don't need to think it out as my direction is now the same. My goal for now, as always, is to get West off the hook. But I have greater confidence now that I can count on you for help."

They both stood. He shook the old man's hand respectfully and left.