Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Decoy by slipstick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Everybody was gathered anxiously for the end of term feast in the Great Hall. The green and silver banners of House Slytherin fluttered from every nook in the upper reaches. The Snakes sat smug and sassy while the other houses muttered the usual wait-till-next-year clichés.

All fell silent as Dumbledore rose. "And so another school year comes to a close. I hope you have all learned at least a little bit, but that even those of you who have learned much are not satisfied but will strive ever more."

"And now I believe the House Cup needs to be awarded. The scores stand at Gryffindor with three hundred and twelve, Hufflepuff three hundred and fifty two, Ravenclaw four hundred and twenty six and Slytherin four hundred and seventy. But before I award the cup there needs to be certain adjustments made. To George Westinghouse of Gryffindor, fifty four points for putting up the fight of his life and winning against titanic odds. To Miss Hermione Granger, fifty four points for standing steadfast for a friend when the vast majority was certain he was guilty. And I'd like to add a special vote of thanks to Mr. Joe Morningstar for his part getting at the truth."

The visitor nodded his appreciation. The old man looked over to Professor Snape. The greasy haired potions master tightened his face showing the inner struggle he was going through. He stood and approached the headmaster's place. "And let me add fifty one points for Mr. Westinghouse for saving my life." He returned to his place without another word.

"Which I believe," Dumbledore proclaimed, "necessitates a change in decoration." A wave of his wand morphed the banners to gold lions on red fields. The hall exploded in pandemonium. The Gryffindors pounded each others backs while the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs cheered and whistled.

And the Slytherins? Some beat their hands against their heads while others shouted accusations at each other. In fact the only quite students were West and Hermione gazing into each other‘s eyes congratulating each other for the win. When Dumbledore again got the hall‘s attention all he had to say was, “And now, let’s eat!”
*******
After the students had finished eating and had settled down to conversation Dumbledore called West and Hermione up to the faculty table. "Mr. Westinghouse, Miss Granger, I understand you like to dance."

"Yes sir."

"Sure do sir."

"Very well then." He waved his gnarled old wand and the two before him, in fact all the students, felt their clothing writhing under their robes which they tugged off. Underneath West found he was wearing a blindingly white rhinestone studded cowboy suit with fringe. Hermione's dress was an iridescent formal.

Another wave and the tables scuttled to the side walls. A brilliant globe of the moon dropped down from the magic ceiling and started to slowly rotate, the shadows of the seas chasing along the walls. West whispered to Dumbledore who chuckled and announced, "I herby declare Miss Granger Queen of the Moon Dust Ballroom.

Disco tunes poured forth through the night. At one point The Association was singing Cherish. The young lovers held each other closer as the words spoke their love perfectly. Several times one of them said, "We really should turn in." and the other replied, "Yes, we really should." and they went on dancing."

After a while they heard a rooster crowing. He muttered, "What the..." and then for the first time since they'd started dancing they looked away from each other and saw the dawn coming over the lake.

The tables were back in place and elves were scuttling about getting the dishes ready. One of them paused to offer an apology. "Please forgive elves, Sir and Madam. We did not think you'd see us."
*******
Breakfast proved a pleasant capper to the dance. Before going back up to the dorm West spoke to Dumbledore alone. "Sir, the whole reason the fake Snape, uh, uh, fake Professor Snape was spying here in the first place was to find some sort of 'stone' he thought I was helping you guard. What is it?"

The old man looked like he was caught between two obligations. "West, I believe you Americans have a saying that fits this occasion perfectly." Putting a finger in front of his lips he whispered, "It's 'Need-To-Know' and you my friend do not need to know." The boy accepted this, for now at least.

He and Hermione finished packing and got to the station in plenty of time to get a compartment to themselves. Nobody wanted to intrude on them or, as in the case of the Slytherins, could stomach them.
*******
They stood on platform 9 3/4 staring at the barrier. In just minutes they would be separated for two of the longest months of their lives. They kissed again and pushed through.

Her parents were in the forefront. The normally proper yet sophisticated Grangers were calling and waving to their daughter. She started to run to them shouting, "MOMMY! DADDY!" but stopped when she saw West holding back. He looked nervous like he wasn't sure of his welcome. She grabbed his arm and practically dragged him. After they had smothered her in affection they were shaking West hands telling him what a pleasure it was to meet him.

Professor McGonagall appeared and made non-committal noises. The Grangers, who'd met her when she came to take Hermione to Diagon Alley to pick up her supplies, were starting normal small talk but she plainly had no time for it. "Yes, yes, I'm sure."

Turning to the American she said business like, "West, we can't dally if you're to make your plane. Come along."

West and Hermione faced each other. This was it, no more delay. Summer break stretched before them like eternity. Hermione turned to her parents and said, "Mother, Father, please turn your backs." They knew what she meant and they knew she wouldn't be saying this unless it was important. She had always been a polite obedient little girl but when she wanted something they found it hard to say no. They turned. McGonagall, knowing what to expect from the last several months at the castle, turned also.

They held each other tightly. Their lips pressed. It was not overly vigorous but any with the poor manners to watch could tell they loved each other deeply. It took longer than it might have, but they wanted something to hold them the two month until September first.

Then she was taking her parents hands and walking out the door. West thought, Yes, a quick, clean break. There will be time during the summer to moon over memories. He turned to McGonagall and said simply, "I'm ready."

As they walked to the cab she told him, "I took the liberty of picking up your books for next term so you can study during break, all of course except for DADA. The new teacher, who ever that is, will choose his own." West listened, but not half so attentively as the day he came to Kings Cross. Now he had something more important on his mind.
*******
While West and McGonagall said goodbye at Gatwick Harry's flight landed and he came off the plane with a Stetson saying, "YEEE, HAAA! Ah de-clare, It shore is good to be back home."

McGonagall greeted him. "I'm certainly glad you enjoyed your flight, Mr. Potter. But you do realize that you must spend the summer with your Aunt, Uncle and cousin?"

Harry rocked back on his heals and looked like she had said the most foolish thing he had ever heard. "Dudley? You think Ah'm worried about Dudley? Why if he gives me any trouble Ah'll whip his sorry butt." Noticing West he said, "Why howdy, Westinghouse. Ah shore hope your school year was half as good as mine."

They shook. "It was thrilling, Mr. Potter. I can hardly wait for fall."

As West headed for his plane back home he heard Harry telling McGonagall, "Ah'll tell you Professor, Ah've never seen a more wonderful place or a finer bunch of people than they have at Dragon Fang. Like Ah was family, they treated me....."

A/N - Well, that's the end folks. Who wants to hear about West's 2nd year and how he dealt with the basilisk?