Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Decoy by slipstick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +


All the classes ran smoothly the rest of the week. West and Hermione seemed to spend every waking hour together whether in class, the library or just studying in the common room. And every night they took a few minutes out for an after dinner dance. None of the other students seemed to notice and if McGonagall did, she never mentioned it. Percy had qualms about it but after a careful search of the student handbook could find nothing one way or the other.

Came Friday and the first year Gryffindors had their first potions lab. Professor Snape was his usual supercilious self but did not weigh down on West and Hermione because, he admitted to himself, it might be nice to have at least a couple of students produce a passable product the first time. “Mr. Westinghouse, I trust you have learned to restrain yourself. In this class I demand proper decorum.”

West stood tall and slowly drew his hat from his head, placing it over his heart. “Sir!” he said solemnly. “For more than a hundred years my family has lived by the motto of my great-grandfather and namesake. ‘You can be SURE, if it’s Westinghouse.’” Hermione's eyes widened and she looked as if she wanted to say something but did not think it was an appropriate time.

“See that my confidence is not misplaced.”

This week's assignment was the boil removal potion. West was again near Draco. At a point in the lab he, for some reason known but to God, glanced over to the Slytherin just in time to see him begin to add the porcupine quills. “Draco, NO! You need to take it off the fire first.”

A glare of utter contempt was all the answer he got. Draco angrily tossed the quills into the still bubbling mix.

“GIVE HIM ROOM!” shouted West as he, seemingly without thought, scooped up Hermione in one arm and shoved Ron, who stood on her other side, away from the Slytherin side of the room. The other Gryffindors, caught up in the excitement of the moment, followed suit.

Professor Snape was shaking his head and muttering. He did not seem angry, but rather frustrated. A few students heard him mutter, “Why him? Why HIM?” All the Slytherins stood haughty and arrogant. The foreigner’s conduct was inexcusable, besides being absurd. What could he possibly be so frightened of?

The vapors rising out of the cauldron spread out and up. As it touched skin it formed great, flame red boils. Draco, being closest, was screaming with pain. Slytherins who had not been touched were trying to get away.

“SILENCE!” bellowed Snape. With a wave of his wand he chased the fumes back into the cauldron and levitated it into a tight-lidded box by his desk, slamming down the lid. “Everybody effected, step up here for the antidote.” He drew a bottle from the shelves and dabbed its contents liberally on those afflicted.

As he applied the curative, he thought desperately for a way to blame this on West. But it was no use. West had even warned Malfoy when such warning should not have been necessary. The young get of his own house had not followed instructions, and in magic that can be deadly. After the last boil had been treated and the Snakes were back at their desks Snape gritted his teeth and said the most difficult words of his life. “Plus ten points to Gryffindor for recognizing a dangerous situation and acting correctly.”

“But Professor...” Draco whined.

“AND MINUS ten points from Slytherin for causing the problem in the first place.” Why, oh WHY couldn’t that idiot Longbottom have caused the crises?

The Gryffindors were back in their places. West was looking at Snape with aw. He took off his wizard’s hat and held it over his heart as he made a low bow.
*******
Although West had shown a phenomenal memory in reciting the material, he proved to lack somewhat in putting this knowledge into practice. His boil removal potion was mediocre at best, placing him squarely among the bulk of the first year students. In fact the only perfect specimen was turned in by Hermione. Such a poor performance by at least one of the stars of Gryffindor went a long way to lift Snape's spirits.

One thing did set West apart from all the others. Next to his text book on his desk sat a bound blank book in which he had listed step by step the procedure and had annotated with everything he'd changed and observed during the lab. Hermione had seen this but was too nervous to comment on it.
*******
As they packed up their gear Hermione whispered, "West, that motto you said was your great-grandfather's, was he... I mean was he really...?"

West replied with a small grin. "Yep, I'm direct descendant of one of the pioneers of modern electricity. But the money followed a different path of descent, another branch of the family tree, you might say. And I fear, so did the brains."

As the others filed out West said to his lady fair, "I'll catch up with you. I need to speak to the Professor."

She was surprised. This was the first time since they met he'd voluntarily separated from her. She hrugged. "Okay. Don't be long." Then she gave him a smile to encourage him to be speedy.

Alone with Snape he said, "Sir?"

Snape looked up with his usual suspicious stare. "Huh, what is it?"

"May I come back tomorrow and try again? Not for a grade, just to see if I can get it right."

"Let me see if I understand, Mr. Westinghouse. Are you volunteering to spend extra time in class to repeat the work, even if it doesn't reflect on your grade?"

"Yes sir. I think I was very close to the correct procedure and getting it right will help me understand where I went wrong."

"Young man, I've been teaching here for more than ten years and nobody has ever asked to do MORE work. Yes, you may come back tomorrow after breakfast and repeat the experiment. And I will be here to offer any aid you might need." Watching the retreating form Snape marveled at himself. I'm actually helping a Gryffindor. But he seems to WANT to learn. Not like those lolly gags Potter and Black I went to school with. He packed up his papers and left.
*******
At the Gryffindor table there was an empty chair next to Hermione. She seemed pleased as punch to see him. He thanked her for saving it for him as he sat. As they began to scoop casserole from the serving dishes she asked, "Well, what little homework we were given we've already done. How would you like tospend Saturday?"

His face told her he was as disappointed as she by what he had to say. "I'm going to be in the potions lab tomorrow."

"What?" Ron exclaimed. "He can't make you give up your weekend."

"He's not making me do anything. I asked him to let me repeat today's potion for practice. You saw what a mess I made of it."

"It didn't look so bad. In fact it looked better than mine."

West didn't want to seem rude by pointing out that Ron's work was nothing to brag about. "If I never get it right I can't expect a decent grade on the final. I have to learn the first steps before going on or I might as well drop out now."

This show of dedication to principal and thirst for learning made Hermione smile with pride. She was starting to feel his virtues reflected on her. "That's the spirit, West. Do you want me to come along?"

The thought of spending the time with her seemed lovely, but sadly shook his head. "No sense in that. Yours was perfect." He gave a small chuckle. "In fact, having you near by may have been my problem. I might not have been concentrating." She smiled and lowered her eyes. "Say, here's a thought. How about you look up stuff in the library about all the things we studied this week and we'll go over your notes in the evening?"

"That sounds like a fine idea. I'd love to."

Ron growled. "First day off from class we get and she wants to spend it in the library. Then they'll have a jolly time going over her notes." They looked terribly amused at his shaking head.