Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never what it seems by Rons chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Here is Chapter 14: Hope you like it!
Manda*
“Goodbye, darlings! Arthur is at Grimmauld, and he is expecting you soon! Just be careful. Please, just be careful! I couldn’t stand it if any of my children were hurt, and that includes you two, Harry and Hermione!” Mrs. Weasley grabbed each of the Trio in a bone-crushing hug. She kissed them each on the forehead and wiped a tear from her eye.

It was a beautiful day; the weather wasn’t scorching hot, even though it was still summer, but it wasn’t cold, either. There was a slight breeze that cooled everyone’s skin from the bright sun. It was the perfect day to leave, and Ginny would be leaving in two weeks for school.

Ginny and Harry had spent the entire night talking and making promises to one another, among other things. Ginny had accepted that she couldn’t go with them. She stood with pride next to her mother, waiting her turn to bid her friends goodbye. And yet, despite Ginny’s reassurances, Harry couldn’t help but worry that her Weasley stubbornness would show itself and she would follow them.

Ron went to give his sister a hug. He whispered that he loved her and she reached up to kiss his cheek. Hermione was next to hug Ginny; they hugged tightly for several minutes, each trying to remember the other.

When they pulled away, Hermione was crying and she smiled, embarrassed. “I’m going to miss you,” she told Ginny. “But it won’t be too long.”

It seemed that Hermione was trying to convince herself more than Ginny, but Ginny nodded and swallowed the lump in her throat. “I’ll hold you to that statement.”

Harry looked at Ginny with the sweetest look she’d ever seen as he walked over to her. He placed one hand on her lower hip where only they knew a tattoo hid. In response to this, she laid her hand gently on his chest and looked into his blistering green eyes. He put his other hand on the small of her back and lifted her, slightly, into a mind-blowing kiss. When their lips parted, Harry reached down and wiped a tear from her eye.

“Sorry, Harry. I didn’t want to-”

“Don’t apologize. You deserve to cry now. After all, there wasn’t much crying last night, and I don’t want much crying after we leave.”

Ginny smiled and nodded. She leaned in for one more kiss before stepping away from him, but kept her hand on his chest.

He blinked a few times and took a deep breath, mimicking her by keeping his hand on her tattoo. “You promised,” he whispered, now staring at his feet.

She reached up and lifted his chin so he was looking her in the eye again. “So did you.”

One more kiss and Harry was walking away. Ginny was reminded of months ago when he’d broken up with her at Dumbledore’s funeral. She remembered watching him walk away from her just as he was doing now. But this time, he looked back. It only took a small glance for Ginny to realize he really was scared. Because of this, she took a deep breath and walked back into the house to help her mother start a lunch to bring to Grimmauld Place.

When Harry saw Ginny walk back into the house, his stomach turned. He wanted to run back to her and grab her into his arms, but he also wanted to keep her safe and protect her from everything. It was because of this that he turned back around and followed Ron and Hermione, Apparating to Grimmauld Place.

“You are doing the right thing, Harry. You promised her you would come back to her, and that’s all you can do,” Hermione told Harry when they got to Number Twelve. She hugged him tightly.

“But what if she comes?” Harry asked.

“She won’t. She promised you she wouldn’t and so she won’t. She’ll stay put,” Hermione assured him. She grabbed onto his hand and led him into the kitchen.

“Ahh, there you are.” Mr. Weasley ushered the Trio to seats at the table where Remus Lupin, Mad Eye Moody, Professor McGonagall, Aunt Petunia, and the Grangers were sitting drinking tea.

Harry walked over and placed a gentle hand on his aunt’s shoulder before taking the seat next to her. He’d become used to greeting her this way, because he was uncomfortable with hugging her or anything else, yet. He understood that she had lost her husband and son, but he had lost his parents, his godfather, and his headmaster along with his uncle and cousin. He had gotten a tiny bit closer with her since bringing her to Grimmauld Place, but nothing could ever make up for the way he had been raised. He told her this a few days ago and she told him she understood and she was eternally sorry.

“We are glad you stopped by, Harry. We have something to discuss,” Lupin said.

“Like what?” Harry asked curiously.

“As you know, I am the new Headmistress of Hogwarts. I was going through the desk drawers last week and I found Albus’s will. I scheduled a meeting with a Ministry member a few days later only to realize there was a note in the envelope saying that you were to open and read it with Remus, Alastor, Arthur, and myself. We were hoping to do it this morning before you left. We have a feeling it might have some clues that you’ll need before you leave,” Professor McGonagall explained to Harry.

“Err…Alright, I guess. D’ you want me to read it right now?” Harry asked.

“We were hoping so,” Lupin told him.

“You’ve got a long journey ahead of yeh,” Moody chimed in.

Harry nodded. “Hermione, Ron? D’ you mind taking my aunt out into the front room for a while?”

Hermione and Ron nodded. Mr. and Mrs. Granger got up from their seats and walked into the front room with their daughter while Ron waited at the door for Aunt Petunia. She got up and patted Harry on the back before heading out into the front room.

When they were gone and the rest were seated around Harry, he took the envelope enclosing the will with a shaky hand. His heart was beating rather fast and his head began to hurt with all of the memories of his former headmaster. He put a hand to his chest and closed his eyes, trying to clear his head so he could read the will.

’It’s alright, Harry. Whatever is wrong, you can get through it,’ Ginny’s thoughts swirled in Harry’s mind, giving him the strength he needed to take a long deep breath, open the envelope in his hands and unfold the letter within.

Albus Dumbledore, Order of Merlin 1st Class
If this is being read, I assume I have passed on. The only one I ask to read this is Harry Potter, and I’m sure it is you, Harry, that is. I have nothing but trust and faith in you, Harry. You were to me, the son I never had the fortune of claiming. I am so proud of you for coming as far as you’ve come. I’m sorry if I wasn’t able to help you rid of Tom Riddle once and for all.

By now, I’m sure you know all about Horcruxes, and just as a reminder, here is the list: the diary, which is destroyed; the ring, which is destroyed; the locket, which is hopefully destroyed; the goblet; the snake; and something that belongs to either Godric Gryffindor or Rowena Ravenclaw. The last is the single piece that lies within Tom’s soul.

Remember what the prophecy said, Harry.
Neither can live while the other survives.

I haven’t much to give, but I leave my post of Headmaster to Minerva McGonagall. I ask you to take Fawkes with you, Harry, for I believe he will come in handy. If he needs to be protected, send him to the Burrow. He loves Hagrid, although I believe he would feel more comfortable with the Weasleys. I pass my dark detectors and those affects to Alastor Moody. To Remus Lupin I give the letter behind this one. And to you, Harry, I give my pensieve. It holds many memories you may need. One third of my fortune will be given to the Weasley family, another third to Remus Lupin., and one third to you, my boy.

I mustn’t say much, but you have to know: go to the place where what appears is what you need. You will be led to something important.

Know this, Harry: My death, along with Sirius’ and your parents’, is not your fault.

Signed, Albus Dumbledore, Order of Merlin 1st Class

P.S. I love you


Harry read this once over before reading it aloud. McGonagall was crying when he was finished. The room was completely silent except for McGonagall’s sobs. Harry handed Lupin the letter behind the one he had read.

McGonagall got up from her seat and walked over to the corner. Sitting there was a trunk Harry hadn’t noticed until now. She took a key and opened it carefully.

She gave a bag of money to Mr. Weasley, one to Lupin, and one to Harry. Then she took the pensieve and placed it on the table in front of Harry. She closed the trunk again and gave it to Moody who shrunk it and put it in his pocket.

“Fawkes is in the front room. I brought him here earlier,” McGonagall explained.

Harry nodded. “Thank you.”

He grabbed his chest again, thankful that he had gotten through the meeting.

’I told you you’d be fine. Now get going! The sooner you come home, the better,’ Ginny’s thoughts told him.

He smiled and headed toward the front room where he placed the pensieve carefully into his trunk.

“We should get going soon,” he announced to everyone. Hermione and Ron nodded in agreement and got up from their seats. Hermione, Mrs. Granger, and Petunia had been watching Ron and Mr. Granger play a game of Wizard’s chess.

The Grangers got up to hug their daughter and say goodbye to their almost son-in-law. Petunia got up from her seat, as well, and walked over to Harry.

“Thank you, Harry,” she told him. “I never realized how hard it must’ve been for you with each loved-one you lost. I understand now and I thank you so much for not completely giving up on me despite how I raised you and treated you. I know you have no choice, now, and you must go to war. I hope you kill him, Harry. I hope you kill the man that killed my sister, brother-in-law, husband, and son. And I hope you realize that I will worry about you the entire time you’re gone. I want to get to know who you really are. If you’ll let me, I’d like to have a second chance.”

Harry blinked in confusion. Then he sighed and grabbed his aunt into a hug. He kissed her forehead lightly and grabbed her hand. “I’ll come back. Everybody needs a second chance.”

Harry said goodbye to each of the Grangers and walked over to give Mr. Weasley a hug.

“Harry, dear boy, be safe. You are as much my son as any of the other six, and I can’t say I won’t worry about you while you’re gone. Keep Ron safe, as well, alright? And Hermione. She’ll be my daughter-in-law soon, I s’pect. Then again, you’ll be my son-in-law soon, too,” Mr. Weasley told him. Harry nodded, touched by this statement, before moving on to say goodbye to Moody, who gave him a slight side-hug, and a good luck.

“Harry, I’m so proud of you. You remind me so much of your father. Hogwarts is always open for you, keep that in mind. And be safe!” McGonagall told him as she hugged him tightly. Harry smiled in shock at this gesture and hugged back.

“Sometimes, if I just glance at you, I would swear you were James. But then I see Lily’s eyes and I know for sure it’s not him. If ever you need me, Harry, I’m here. Be safe, boy. You’re the last of those damn Potter boys.” Harry grinned at Lupin who pulled him into a short embrace.

“Well, you’re the last of those damn Mauraders,” Harry told him. Lupin chuckled lightly.

“Alright, where’re we off to, then?” Ron asked.

Harry sighed. He walked over to the fire. “Is your fireplace open, Professor?”

“Yes, Mr. Potter, why?” McGonagall asked.

“The letter said ‘Go to the place where what appears is what you need.’ There is only one place that fits that description and it’s in Hogwarts. Can we Floo to your office, Professor?”

“Of course, I’ll be right after you.”

Each of the Trio shrunk their trunks once again and placed them into their pockets. One by one, they went to what used to be Dumbledore’s office. Harry was first, followed by Hermione, then Ron, and lastly McGonagall.

“Should I go with you, then? I’m sorry, Potter, I’m not sure how this works,” McGonagall confessed.

Harry smiled encouragingly. “It’s alright, Professor. I think this is a first for us all. It might be a good idea for you to come.”

“Yes, Professor, you can wait outside, we will be able to find you if and when we need you. It wouldn’t be safe for you to come with us, Professor. This is something we have to do,” Hermione explained.

Rather than nod, sneer, or turn up her nose at this statement, McGonagall pulled Hermione into a gentle hug. “Thank you. I can wait outside the room. Shall we be off?”

And to the seventh floor they went. When they found the proper spot, the Trio walked past the painting three times; each thinking of a clue and of Dumbledore’s words that Harry had stated earlier; and sure enough, a door appeared. They bid farewell to their Professor and walked in through the door, one at a time.

“There’s a bit of a chill,” Hermione shivered. She rubbed her arms to circulate the heat and then began to breathe into her hands. Ron came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in his neck.

Lumos,” Harry said and his wand lit up. He waved a hand at Hermione and Ron. “This way, it’s a tunnel.”

Ten minutes later, they came to a wooden staircase. Harry shot fireworks up into the room at the top of the staircase but there was no movement, and so he crept up the stairs.

“It’s an attic!” Hermione realized when she followed Harry up. She looked around the room and saw an open space.

Filling the space was a single armchair placed in front of a fireplace with no logs or coal. It was just big enough for two adults to sit in and it looked brand new except that it was covered in dust.

Harry held his wand firmly ahead of him as he moved stealthily forward to see if he could find anything else. When he found nothing else, he moved closer to the fireplace and held his wand up to it to see if there was anything in it.

Suddenly, the flames burst from the fire and Harry stumbled back onto the floor. Hermione, surprised and frightened, threw herself into Ron and wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face into his shoulder.

“Sorry,” she whispered, embarrassed that something so little could scare her that much. She started to let go of him but he snuck his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

“I don’t mind,” he told her with a grin.

Harry looked over at them just as they kissed. It was strong and passionate and full of love, even Harry could tell. He got up and scratched his chest. It was a subconscious habit of his, now, that when he was thinking, or when he missed her, he would touch his chest as if to hold onto the memory of Ginny. He wished he could hold her the way Ron was holding Hermione, and kiss her the same way. He wished he could love Ginny the way Ron was loving Hermione. It made his heart ache that he could not do these things, and once again, he found himself rubbing a hand over his tattoo.

’I miss you, Harry!’ Ginny cried into Harry’s head. ’I miss you and I want you to come home!’

Harry shook his head. ’Is something wrong? Are you alright? Is everyone alright?’

’Everyone is fine, Harry, I just miss you! Please come home!’

Harry ran a hand through his hair, the other hand lying on the ground wrapped around his wand. ’I miss you, too, Ginny, but-‘ Harry’s thoughts were cut off by Ginny’s again.

’I’m sorry, Harry. I don’t know what I was thinking! I just all of a sudden needed you. I’m alright, now. I’m so sorry if I interrupted.’

’You see, I always need you, so that wouldn’t have changed in my case. But I love you, Ginny, I love you so much.’

’I know you do. But I love you so much more.

Harry felt an abrupt wave of affection and devotion run through the room. It overtook him and he gasped. He felt his love for Ginny and hers in return along with Hermione’s and Ron’s. It was the most powerful feeling he’d ever felt. He was frozen to the floor.

He distinctly remembered looking back at his friends, Ron shoving Hermione tightly between himself and the wall, unaware of the mood change. They were so enthralled in each other’s mouths and bodies that Harry had been happy for an excuse to look away toward the sound coming from the armchair next to him. A heavy wind stirred this strong feeling in the air. He was once again jealous of his friends, wishing and hoping it was Ginny that could be coming from the chair to capture him with her gaze. But instead, the wind stirred pieces of what looked like a letter, ripped up. The pieces came together and formed an envelope which flew to him. He caught it with one hand and froze again.

The wind had stopped as quickly as it had begun.

Gasping for breath, Hermione detached her mouth from Ron’s. She grabbed his hand from where it was on her waist, his fingers resting in the waistband of her jeans, and put it on his chest. “No, Ron. I thought we had discussed this. I’m not ready…and look where we are!”

It was at that moment that both Ron and Hermione came back to reality and realized where they were. Hermione blushed a deep shade of red when she noticed Harry lying on the rug in front of the fire, staring at them.

“What the bloody hell? I didn’t “ I mean, I thought “ what happened? It felt like we were somewhere else. I forgot we were here.” Ron looked around, puzzled.

“I don’t know, but I sure as hell am glad I wasn’t the only one who felt it.” Harry stood up and ran a hand through his hair.

“No, you surely weren’t the only one. That was the oddest feeling. Like the complete opposite mood of Dementors!” Hermione fixed her shirt and jeans.

“Harry, what’s that you got?” Ron asked, pointing to the envelope in Harry’s hand.

“I’m not quite sure, actually. It sort of, came at me just before the room turned normal again.”

Hermione walked closer to him. “Open it up. See what it is.”

Harry waited until Ron and Hermione were on either side of him before opening the envelope. He pulled out a letter and began to read aloud.

”There are only two things my heart truly beats for; one is a secret, and one is the only woman in the world that can provide me honest love. The secret is my most meaningful possession. And so, naturally, I will hide it with the woman who means the most to me. It will lie within her heart; forever and for always.

A love like ours is rare, I know this. This is the reason I spend each and every day with her, living our life together at the fullest. But my day will come, as will hers. And even then, my secret object will lie with her heart.

After I am gone, as is she, I’m sure this object will come of some importance to someone else. I will then have no use for it. And so this someone will take this object and use it to their own importance.

But this object is everything except usual. It responded to her the way it did because of our extraordinary relationship. If the someone who takes this object is without the love like my own, consequences will occur.

You see, no one person can enter the world this object offers. They must go with the one that completes the rare relationship. Only those in true, honest love “ like my own “ will be able to use this object to its fullest use.

And so I bid you-
Luck- no good, no bad, just “ luck.

- Godric Gryffindor


The Trio stood in silence for a minute to concentrate on the meaning of the letter. They knew that the woman he was talking about was either Rowena Ravenclaw or Helga Hufflepuff. But the object he was speaking of was truly a secret.

Harry shook his head in confusion and put a hand to his chest.

’What is it, Harry? What’s going on? Is something wrong?’

The familiar feeling of Ginny’s thoughts in his head made Harry sigh in relief. He was safe when she was in his head.

’It’s nothing, love,’ he thought.

“What is it?” Hermione asked when she saw the smile on Harry’s face.

Harry looked up, surprised. “Oh, it’s nothing. Just “ you know “ Ginny.”

Ron smiled. “I’m glad she wasn’t here when that thing happened. It’d have scarred me for life, it would’ve, seeing the two of you…you know.”

Harry chuckled. “You two about scarred me!”

Hermione started to blush again. She was about to say something when she noticed a picture replace the words on the paper, still in Harry’s hands. “Harry! Look! It’s a necklace or a locket or something!”

Harry looked down, and sure enough, there was a picture on the page of a necklace with a locket in the shape of a heart. The outline grew darker and darker on the page and then the necklace turned silver. Before his eyes, it became real, now lying on top of the piece of paper. It was heavy, however, and started to fall off.

Ron reached out to grab it. “OUCH!” he screamed before letting the necklace drop.

“What’s wrong? Is it really hot like the last locket?” Hermione asked. She walked to him and grabbed his hand to look for a burn.

Ron shook his head. “On the contrary, really. It’s colder than ice.”

Harry pulled out his trunk from his pocket and laid it on the ground. He enlarged it to its normal size and bent down to open it. He took out a hankie, closed the trunk again, shrunk it, and put it back in his pocket. Then he walked back over and knelt next to the necklace. He picked it up with the hankie and examined it.

On the back of the heart were the initials, ‘G & R’, proving their theory of it being Ravenclaw that Gryffindor was in love with.

“Oh! That’s what he meant. This is the object. When he said that the object would ‘lay with his lover’s heart’, he meant that it lay above her heart! She wore this around her neck and the locket lay above her heart,” Hermione explained.

“But he also said that to hold it, we needed a love like his and Ravenclaw’s,” Ron pointed out.

“We have that. Hence the mood change! You know the opposite of Dementors?” Harry remembered how Hermione had explained it.

Hermione and Ron nodded in recognition.

“Wonder what he meant about the ‘other world’, though,” Harry said.

The locket had warmed up from the hankie, and Harry took the opportunity and opened the heart. Inside was a picture of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw together. They were smiling happily. His heart gave a jolt at the thought that maybe, one day; he and Ginny would have a special object like this to share. He rubbed a finger against the picture to rid of the dust.

The room started to spin slowly. Harry looked around, but Ron and Hermione were gone. Steadily, the spinning grew faster and faster. Harry fell to the ground and closed his eyes, hoping it was just a dream and that it would go away soon.

And sure enough, the spinning stopped. Harry gasped for breath and carefully opened his eyes. He shook his head in confusion. This wasn’t the attic anymore.

He was sitting in the grass under a big tree. In the distance was a huge house. All around him were flowers.

“’Ello! We’ve been waiting for you,” a woman’s voice soothed into Harry’s ear. It was the most beautiful sound he’d ever heard.

He licked his lips and turned his head to see who it was behind him.

He didn’t see much, however, because gorgeous lips captured his own the moment his head turned. She tasted so good that Harry kissed back.

He hardly felt her end the kiss and grab his hand. There must have been twenty of them. They had gorgeous blonde hair and slender bodies. Surrounding him, they led him up to the house he’d thought was so far away.

And Harry knew at that moment, he was in heaven.

A/N: There is chapter 14. This is kind of a cliffie and I was going to continue, but it got too long. Sorry if its confusing, but the next chapter has many answers to many questions! Thanks for reading, now please REVIEW! Oh- and while you wait for the next chapter, read my other fic Sometimes, It’s Okay to be Happy. Big thanks to my betas, Manda, HarryPotter is my LIFE, and xx thestorieteller xx!

Manda*