Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Through the Fire by Croyez

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Seven: Haunted

3:00 a.m., Sunday morning, The Riddle House “ Main Room, Upstairs

Voldemort read the letter over and over, wondering how in the world that wretched Seer could have found out everything--and by merely looking at a crystal ball!

The only thought that could make him feel more cheerful was that she had seen his ‘final battle’ with Harry Potter. She had supposedly seen him kill the boy after a strenuous battle. But Voldemort had never really believed in ‘seeing the future’. It seemed like a waste of time, finding out the end of one’s story in advance. He believed in preparing for the future; delaying it especially--but seeing it? And he was always told lies from those egoistical Seers…

He had never really had any reason to believe what Seers usually told him. Countless of them had been brought by his Death Eaters in the old days--before the Potter boy ruined everything--and they had always told him he would never be defeated by anyone, that he would conquer against Dumbledore, and that the Wizarding World would be at his feet. Then, when he had entered their minds, he saw it was nothing but lies, or was instead greeted by a foggy memory of a crystal ball, in which he saw a towering figure, and a green light. They assured him this meant he would prevail, but he didn’t believe so. He scoffed at their pitiful efforts and killed them shortly afterwards.

Yet now, he had every bit of proof he needed to believe this woman. If she really saw Severus’ true identity in the crystal ball, then what she mentioned about the outcome of the battle must be true. Voldemort frowned, staring at the fire before him. Could it really be? Could that woman possibly be telling the truth? Could she really have seen what will come to happen?

She must. After all, it was she who made the prophecy about Harry Potter’s birth.

The one I will finally come to hear tonight
. He thought, a slow, evil smile spreading through his lips. He stood up and summoned Wormtail to him. A minute later, Wormtail came rushing into the room, panting and sweating profusely. He clutched his left forearm, wincing at the pain he had felt.

“Y-yes, Master?” He sputtered, leaning on the wall as he tried to catch his breath.

Voldemort surveyed him with a look of utter distaste, “Wake her.” he instructed, gesturing to Professor Trewlaney, “I wish to speak to her.”

“Yes, My Lord.” Wormtail said eagerly, walking gingerly towards Trewlaney, pulling out his wand. Voldemort waited impatiently, occasionally throwing dark looks at the letter. When Wormtail casted the awakening charm, the witch opened her eyes with a start, eyes wide, looking at her surroundings anxiously. She looked at Wormtail’s face, lip trembling, and raised her eyebrows. She then frowned, leaning her head back into the wall and talking in a very low voice to herself. After what seemed like a lifetime, she looked at Wormtail again, looking at him with intense dislike.

“Where am I?” She asked, her voice free of the usual airiness. She spoke in a hard, bitter voice, “Who brought me here?”

Wormtail glanced at her, and turned to his Master. That was when Trewlaney saw Voldemort’s towering figure. Her eyes widened once more, her expression of complete horror, and a sharp intake of breath was heard to come from her. She closed her eyes, her mind buzzing with anxious thoughts, Oh, no…no, it can’t be! It is…him. He probably wants to hear the prophecy…and then he’ll kill me, I know he will! And I’m sure I never even sent Albus that letter…he’s completely unaware about Severus.

Speaking of which, I’m sure he was the one that brought me here. Who else, after all? No Death Eater in their right mind would dare enter Hogwarts and snatch a person right from its Grounds…and this one here looks too dim-witted to have succeeded.

Maybe this is just a bad dream…maybe I’ll make up to find that I fell asleep writing Albus’ letter..

Oh, I really wish it were so…


“Where are your manners, Wormtail? Do ask her to come closer…” Voldemort said silkily, eyes narrowed, “She and I are to have a most valuable conversation, and cannot do so if she is halfway around the room.”

“O-of course, My Lord.” Wormtail hastened to obey his orders, ushering Professor Trewlaney closer to where Voldemort stood by the fire. She walked stiffly towards him, attempting to give off an aura of courage, but her eyes gave her true feelings away. They were wide, and fearful, and looked anywhere but Voldemort’s snakelike face. She stopped walking when she was about seven feet away from Voldemort. Wormtail frowned, and gave her a little prod in the back. She pursed her lips and crossed her arms at her chest, “This is as far as I am walking. I think I can manage to speak at this distance.” She snapped at Wormtail. Apparently, her fear of Voldemort did not extend to Wormtail, which wasn’t particularly surprising for either of them.

“Wormtail, come here.” Voldemort said, his mouth curled into a cruel smile. Wormtail stepped slowly towards him, stretching out his left arm. Voldemort smiled even wider, brushing back Wormtail’s sleeve to reveal the Dark Mark. He extended one long, bony finger and touched it. Wormtail gasped, wincing and breathing heavily. Voldemort shot him an amused glance, and lifted his finger, “Go nurse Nagini, Wormtail. When they arrive, tell them to come up.” He instructed lazily. Wormtail nodded, and left the room, clutching his left forearm.

Turning to Professor Trewlaney, he said, “Sybil Trewlaney…I’m sure you must already be aware of the reason you are here?” There was a slight hint of scorn in his voice, but Professor Trewlaney did not notice so. Although she was still very afraid of the situation she was in, she was glaring at Voldemort bravely, “Yes, but I am afraid I cannot tell you what you wish to know.” She said, shrugging, “I…I don’t remember it.” If I am going to die now, then I might as well die bravely. There is no way I will let my memory be insulted because I died begging him for mercy.

Voldemort raised his eyebrows, “Indeed? Believe me when I say that soon you will come to find that you can remember it perfectly.” He said softly, yet menacingly.

Trewlaney shook her head, “But it is true! I cannot even remember making the prophecy! I only know of it because…” Her voice suddenly trailed off, and she dropped her gaze to the floor. She seemed to think better of what she was about to say.

“Because…?” Voldemort asked, a hint of annoyance and impatience in his voice.

Trewlaney bit her lower lip, thinking of something to tell him. In the end, she couldn’t think of a good enough lie and settled with, “Because…I was merely told I made it. I was never even told the exact the wording.” She said, looking up into Voldemort’s pitiless scarlet eyes.

There was a short pause, in which Voldemort looked down at the witch in disgust, and then, a slow smile spread out in his face, “You were not merely told about the prophecy. You have heard its wording….in fact, you have seen yourself as you spoke it, have you not?” He said quietly, enjoying the nervousness that seemed to have invaded Professor Trewlaney as he spoke, “You know about the prophecy, because you have seen Dumbledore’s memory of it. Do not lie to Lord Voldemort, Trewlaney, for he knows…he always knows.”

Professor Trewlaney flinched at the mention of Voldemort’s name, but decided to try once more, “I”I…where do you get such lies? I have seen no such thing!” Professor Trewlaney said in a small, squeaky voice.

Voldemort laughed. It was a cold, mirthless laugh, “Your efforts are in vain, Sibyll. I can always tell when a person is being dishonest in my presence. It is foolish to try to deceive me.”

Trewlaney shook her head, “I will never tell you anything! You can do what you want with me”torture me, kill me”anything, and I will never tell you!” She yelled, surprising herself with her nerve. She was standing in front of the most feared wizard that had ever existed, and instead of falling to her knees and begging for mercy, she was yelling at him. Merlin, I must be losing my mind…

Voldemort raised an eyebrow, an amused smile on his face, “I am taken aback, Sibyll. I would have thought you knew better than to yell at Lord Voldemort, considering your circumstances. Respect is a quality you will have to learn before you die, I’m afraid.”

Professor Trewlaney’s eyes widened, and she paled. He really is going to murder me…Oh, what can I do? What? I hardly think begging will help at this point. She dropped her gaze to the floor again, and then glanced at the door. Escape? No, he’ll have thought of that. But what if”

Suddenly, Professor Trewlaney’s thoughts were interrupted by a piercing pain that spread throughout her body. It invaded her mind, making every single nook and cranny of her body feel the ache. Her fragile bones felt as if they were on fire from the pain, making her fall to her knees first, then on all fours. Her whole body shook and her eyes filled with tears, wanting the pain to stop. Cruel laughter rang in her ears, and she felt as if she was going to go mad between the pain and the laughter.

Finally, it stopped. Her body stopped hurting, and her head stopped pounding. Panting, she attempted to catch her breath, clutching her chest. Her hands were shaking and her legs felt numb. She wiped the cold sweat off her face and looked up at Voldemort, who was still laughing slightly.

“I take it you learned that particular lesson quickly?” He asked, cruel amusement written all over his voice. His eyes shone with malice as he looked into her terrified face.

She clenched her jaw, willing herself to calm. She was terrified, and felt quite near tears. Trying to catch her breath, she closed her eyes. So much for not begging for mercy…

Voldemort’s smile widened at her reaction. Just then, three people entered the room hesitantly. It was Bellatrix and Lucius. Voldemort turned to them, nodding, “Welcome back, Death Eaters. Consider yourselves gifted out of all of my Death Eaters to be here to witness this. I am about to hear the prophecy made sixteen years ago by Sibyll Trewlaney, who is writhing in pain at my feet right this moment.” He said, unable to keep the smugness out of his voice. Lucius and Bellatrix laughed as their gaze traveled over Professor Trewlaney. Her glasses were askew, her hair was half over her face and sticking up in various places, and her clothes were dirty from falling to the floor. Then, they both bowed deeply in front of Voldemort, uttering thank-you’s and promises of eternal faithfulness.

Turning to Professor Trewlaney with a cruel smile on his face, Voldemort raised his wand and waved it over her trembling figure, “Legilimens!” He hissed, and was instantly immersed in her memories. Countless visions of crystal balls flashed before him, tea cups, her lone classroom at the top of the North Tower and a feeling of dread, textbooks, and finally, an image of herself in what appeared to be a Pensieve. Voldemort quickly concentrated on viewing that memory before it faded and was replaced with another one. A younger looking Professor Trewlaney stared back at him. She still dressed the same way, and wore the same glasses as she had on. She spoke in a harsh, hoarse voice:

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

Then, the memory ended, and was replaced by a short boy breaking a pink tea set. Voldemort retreated back into his own mind, releasing her. Trewlaney fell back, unconscious, and he remained still, processing what he had just seen. He had a deep frown on his face, and didn’t seem to acknowledge anyone else’s presence in the room until, hesitantly, Bellatrix spoke, “Master? Did…did you hear it?”

Voldemort’s gaze shot up to meet hers, and he looked quite menacing, “Indeed, I did, Bella.” He hissed quietly. Then he recited the prophecy for them to hear. When he finished, they looked at him, puzzled, and Malfoy said, “’…power the Dark Lord knows not…’? That must be inaccurate, My Lord, what power could exist that you know nothing of?”

“Don’t be silly, that doesn’t mean such a thing.” Bellatrix snapped, “It must mean that the Potter boy has powers that will remain hidden until he chooses to reveal them. But that can’t be right, either, Master. That boy couldn’t even cast a Crutacius! How can he have a hidden force of power?”

“I believe I did not ask for your speculation on the subject. I merely asked you here so that you would hear it beforehand.” Voldemort snapped, and they both fell silent, bowing their heads to the floor like children who had been told off, “Now that you have, I suggest you leave me to dwell on it. Take the woman with you as well and lock her in the basement. Set up a powerful ward on her door and stun her so that she remains unconscious. On your way out, inform Wormtail that he is to check on her every two hours. Now, go.”

“Yes Master.”

“Of course, My Lord.”

Bellatrix strode forward and levitated Professor Trewlaney. She guided her to the door, where Lucius was waiting for her, looking very sullen. When they left, Voldemort warded the door to avoid any further disturbance and sat back down on his chair.

Of all the thoughts that roamed his mind, there was one in particular that stood out clearly, blocking all the others from view. It echoed over and over, leaving him with only doubts and uncertainties:

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies...”

And The Dark Lord did not like to be uncertain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3:35 a.m., Sunday Morning, The Riddle House - Basement

Bellatrix walked swiftly towards the door of the basement, wrenching it open with al her might. In a low voice, she hissed, “Hurry up and lock her in. I can’t stand to be in her disgraceful company for much longer.”

Lucius laughed quietly, pushing Trewlaney inside and hovering just outside the entrance to the room, “You know, we could try and get something more out of her…I daresay she didn’t tell our Master all he wanted to know.”

Bellatrix shook her head, “Don’t be stupid, Lucius. The Dark Lord can sense lies from even the most skilled Occlumens. I highly doubt this…woman could hide anything from him.” She scoffed, throwing a disgusted look at Professor Trewlaney, who had fallen to the floor and still lay unconscious.

Lucius shrugged, “If you insist so…but you never know. Come on, Bella, it’ll be fun, trying to get her to tell us things…” He said, his eyes glowing manically at the thought of torturing Professor Trewlaney, “We haven’t tortured in”what? A month?”

No.” Bellatrix said firmly, “If you want to defy our Master when he is in such a towering mood, go right ahead, but I’m most certainly not joining you.” She said, crossing her arms.

“Fine.” Lucius snapped, stunning Trewlaney and closing the door angrily, “So, where are you heading now? Are you going to your house, or…?” he asked casually, eyeing Bellatrix hopefully.

“Obviously, I’m going to the manor, with Rodolphus. He and Rabastan will want to know why the Dark Lord called me back at this hour.” Bellatrix said dismissively, setting up the ward to guard the basement door. She gave Lucius an apologetic look and began to walk back up the stairs.

“Rodolphus…why did you marry that man? I can’t even begin to count all the times he has failed our Master, and how much of a liability he is to us.” Lucius said, hurrying to catch up with her on the stairs.

“Why I married him is none of your concern, Lucius. Do I detect a hint of jealousy there?” Bellatrix said amusedly, a grin spreading through her thin lips.

“Perhaps.” Lucius said, grinning slightly and shrugging. Bellatrix looked at him with a surprised look and laughed, shaking her head, “Lucius, you are a terribly crazed madman, you know that?”

Lucius laughed as they reached the first landing of the house. Passing the dimly lit hall, they entered the vast and empty kitchen, where Wormtail was struggling to feed Nagini without having his hand cut off by the gigantic snake. “Wormtail, you ridiculous prat, what are you doing?” Bellatrix snapped as soon as she caught sight of him.

Wormtail looked up, glaring at her, “Feeding Nagini.” He said stiffly.

“At that pace, you’ll finish next week. Giving her the milk drop by drop isn’t going to get you anywhere. She’ll only get hungrier.” Lucius scoffed, coming to sit down at the table that lay in the far left corner of the room.

“Do you have any suggestions, then? I don’t want to get my hand chopped off by it!”

Bellatrix feigned thinking hard, “Hmmmm….let’s think. What could we do to feed Nagini and avoid losing any of our precious fingers?” She asked, looking at Lucius and raising her eyebrows expectantly, as if she were a teacher who had just asked a question and he were the student.

Lucius followed suit, frowning and pretending to think about the situation, “Perhaps our brilliant friend Wormtail ought to try pouring the milk in a plate for Nagini to drink?”

“Precisely!” Bellatrix said, covering her hand with her mouth and raising her eyebrows as if she were surprised, “It’s that easy! Oh, my!”

Wormtail reddened furiously as he got up and grabbed a plate from one of the cabinets. He placed it on the floor and poured the remainder of the milk in it for Nagini to drink. The snake slithered quickly towards it, hissing delightedly. Giving them both an angry glance, Wormtail nodded, “Well? What were you discussing up there?”

Lucius laughed nastily, “If you want to know so badly, go ask him yourself. I’m sure he’d be delighted at your snooping.”

Wormtail rolled his eyes, “Fine.” He said sulkily.

“But don’t worry, he hasn’t forgotten you. He told us to tell you that you are to check on the woman”Trewlaney, is it?”every two hours. She is stunned”don’t go thinking she is dead”in the basement, and the door is warded.” She said, shrugging, “Anyway, I’ll see you both tomorrow, I presume. I have to go now; it’s getting late.” She sad, flashing a smile in Lucius’ direction and winking. And with a loud crack, she Dissapparated.

Wormtail turned to Lucius, “You know, you two act like ludicrous teenagers when you get together.” He said, snorting, “And that includes the flirting, as well.”

“I’d watch what I say if I were you, Wormtail.” Lucius hissed, standing up and preparing himself to Dissapparate.

“I’m just telling you the truth, Malfoy.”

“Well, keep the truth to yourself, then.”

“You have to learn to admit things.”

“Damn it, Wormtail, you’re looking for trouble…”

“Am I? I’d say you’re the one that’s going to get in trouble…” Wormtail said, smiling maliciously, “If Narcissa found out about all the things that go on…”

Lucius turned to look at him, a very dangerous look in his eyes. He looked positively murderous, “I could do it, you know.” He said quietly, pulling out his wand, “Leave you here to die, bleeding…”

Wormtail paled. He knew very well that if Lucius set his mind to it, he would kill him viciously. Especially when he’d been denied torturing Muggles so often these days. He was longing for someone to torment, and having been present when Lucius tortured, Wormtail knew better than to keep baiting him. He would just have to find something else to amuse him. He dropped his gaze to Nagini, who was hissing and spitting t him expectantly. Apparently, she was still hungry. Wormtail grabbed the milk carton from the table and poured its contents into the plate, ignoring Lucius’ ongoing threats.

“That’s better.” Lucius snapped as Wormtail fed Nagini more milk, “You need to learn to respect your superiors, Wormtail.” He said scornfully, and Dissapparated.

Or I can just hide from them. Wormtail thought, I could escape, and live my life in hiding. I’ll only need somewhere to go.

But where? No one in their right mind would take up the task of nursing a rat that looks like it’s lived more than ten years. Besides, people seem to hate rats.

I can’t possibly stay here, either. The Dark Lord will use me for whatever it is that he needs me, and he’ll murder me. He’ll torture me mercilessly until I die…


Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. Bellatrix words rang in his ears, “…He told us to tell you that you are to check on the woman”Trewlaney, is it? ”every two hours. She is stunned in the basement...and the door is warded.”

What if I left with the woman? She’s sure to have some sort of house…and she could hide me in exchange for getting her safely out!

And if she were to betray me…it would mean trouble for her, too! The Dark lord would not only kill me, but her, as well.

It’s settled then. I’ll help her, and she helps me.

I’ll go get her out later. It’s too early yet…he might see us…


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4:36 a.m., Sunday morning, The Riddle House “ Stairs leading to the Basement

Wormtail snuck down the stairs to the basement with a feeling of dread, as if he expected Lord Voldemort to be waiting for him at the door to the basement, wand in hand, ready to murder him. He walked slowly and quietly, jumping at every creak of a stair and flinching at every other noise he heard. The stairs were illuminated by the torch at the end, which was propped up halfway up the worn stone walls that could only be seen in that part of the house. The ward that guarded the door to the basement was sufficiently easy to break, and, still feeling as if he were going to drop dead at that very moment, Wormtail opened the door.

Sibyll Trewlaney was sprawled on the floor near the middle of the room. Her hair was covering her face and her gigantic glasses were a few inches away from her limp body. Her clothes were very stained from the filth that lay on the floor and she looked rather weak. The mere sight of her made Wormtail want to reconsider taking her with him. She could be a liability and could cause them to get caught.

But in the end, he decided to follow the plan. He had nothing to lose, anyway. He was going to get killed either way. He only wanted to delay his death.

Pointing his wand at her, he whispered, “Enervate.”

She awoke with a start, jumping up and sitting upright. Wormtail jumped back in surprise, pointing his wand at her in defense. She blinked rapidly, then brought a hand up to her face. Noticing she didn’t have her glasses on, she started running her hands blindly through the floor, looking for them. Wormtail walked slowly towards her, bent over, grabbed her glasses and handed them to her. Her head shot up, and she took them, putting them on. Her eyes narrowed as she took a good look at him.

“I suppose he wants to see me.” She said. It was a statement rather than a question, and her voice had a tone of fear and dread.

Wormtail shook his head hurriedly, “No. I’m here to…ask you a favor.” He said hesitantly, seeing the suspicious look she gave him.

“A favor?” She repeated skeptically, giving him a mistrustful look, “What makes you think I’d even consider helping you?”

“By helping me, you would be escaping this place….and death in the hands of The Dark Lord.” Wormtail said pleadingly. He was feeling a bit desperate now. The look she was giving him clearly told him she didn’t believe one word of what he’d said. Merlin, this is going to be hard…

But when she next spoke, he was taken aback by her tone, “What favor do you have in mind?” She sounded hopeful, and there was a glimmer of optimism in her overlarge eyes.

“Well, first of all, do you have a house?”

She frowned, “Yes, I have one…in Killarney, Ireland. I haven’t been there in seventeen years, however”ever since Albus hired me at Hogwarts. I still own it, but it’s probably very decayed. Why”?”

“It’s perfect, trust me.” Wormtail said dismissively.

“Would you care to explain your brilliant plan to me now?”

Wormtail nodded, “Well, I was hoping you’d do me the favor of letting me stay in your house in exchange for me getting you out of here.”

“For the love of Merlin! Are you insane?” Professor Trewlaney exclaimed, “He’ll”“ She pointed to the ceiling for effect, gesturing madly ””find us! We’ll be dead in less than a day! I suggest we go to Hogwarts!”

“And you think I’m insane? That was where they got you in the first place! Besides, I’m less than welcome there. The Potter boy wants my head for letting The Dark Lord know about his parents’ whereabouts, and Dumbledore is all for capturing Death Eaters!” Wormtail hissed, “They’ll kill me faster than he will!” He added.

“That’s your problem. I’m going there, and that’s final.”

“Oh, no you won’t! Either you help me, or I let you here to rot!” Wormtail said, pointing his wand straight at her.

Professor Trewlaney glared at him furiously, her eyes narrowed. She crossed her hands at her chest and shrugged, “Fine, I’ll stay.”

“What? You’d rather die? Are you mad?”

“Yes.”

Wormtail quietly worked things in his head, thinking furiously. Finally, he shrugged, “Better yet. I’ll just go to your house in Killarney, free of an old crackpot woman breathing down my neck.”

“Not if I let your Master know…”

Damn. How can she think things so quickly, anyway? Wormtail fell to his knees, “Oh, please…please, just do as I suggested! I don’t want to die, and I daresay you don’t want to die, either! You’re a clever woman, please…what would benefit you more?” he begged, clutching the hem of her robes and sobbing for effect.

Professor Trewlaney sighed. He was right, anyway. It wouldn’t benefit her at all to stay here. Ah, well…the enemy of my enemy is my friend. This one doesn’t seem to care much for his Master, which is clearly of use to me.

One thing is for sure, I have to owl Dumbledore as soon as I get home. And I’ll set wards on the house, make it Unplottable, and I’ll make myself the Secret-Keeper for its location.

Drastic, maybe, but safe.


“Fine. Deal.” She said, stretching out a hand for him to shake. He looked at her, the happiness evident in his face, an he quickly shook her hand, “Excellent, then! Come on, we ought to leave now, before he calls on me to feed Nagini again.” He said delightedly, helping her up.

“Nagini?” Trewlaney repeated absently.

An odd alliance, it was. Sibyll Trewlaney and Peter Pettigrew. Both helping the other with their own interests at heart.

It was a very Slytherin thing to do.



A/N: Thanks for all the great reviews! They made me very happy!

Okay, kind of a weird chapter….no H/Hr! =( Oh, you guys must hate me right now for my Trewlaney. She’s very much alike Elinor from ‘Inkheart’ by Cornelia Funke, but I couldn’t help it. We hardly see her when she’s afraid or being brave, and what could I do? She’s practically an OCC. =(

* Winces * Go easy on me, guys…