Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Through the Fire by Croyez

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
8:15 a.m., Sunday morning, Great Hall “ Gryffindor Table

“Ron, could you please pass the salt?”

Hermione watched in disappointment as Ron grabbed the saltshaker and tossed it at her without a word, or even a glance. He kept on eating as if no one had spoken to him at all. Harry looked at her from across the table and shook his head slightly, as if to tell her to stop bothering Ron. She raised an eyebrow and shook her head, turning her gaze to Ron.

“Ron, do you honestly think this is the most mature way to handle things? I mean, not talking to each other?” She asked, her voice low and controlled.

Again, Ron didn’t even look at her. He just shrugged and continued with his plate of porridge. His ears, however, were getting steadily redder, as if he were fighting hard to control himself.

Oh, Merlin, this is going to be hard…

Why does he have to act like such a little boy? We all clarified things between the three of us, and we all apologized. I understand that he might not want to talk to us like he used to, but not even glancing up when I ask him for the salt? That’s ridiculous.

And why do I have to be the one to try and get him to his senses, anyway? Harry should try, too. But no, he’s off following Ron’s lead and not talking or looking at him either.

Who ever said that shutting up was the solution, anyway?


Across the table, Harry was again making signs to communicate with her. Right now, he was holding his index finger over his mouth, making the message very clear: Shut up. Hermione narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms, huffing angrily and shooting angry glares in both of their directions.

“Stop acting like this! Both of you! It’s preposterous that you expect us to feel well by not even looking at each other.” She hissed, her temper getting the better of her. At this, Harry scowled and got up from the table, “Come on, Hermione. Weren’t we going for a walk now?” He said softly, and without waiting for a response, he walked around the table and grabbed her hand delicately and helped her to her feet. She gave him an exasperated look but nodded, shooting one last look in Ron’s direction. Again, he hadn’t looked up, but she noticed that his spoon was trembling in his hand and his ears were completely red.

Sighing, she turned to Harry, “This is ridiculous, Harry…I can’t believe you’re taking his side in this!” She said in a low voice as they headed for the Entrance Hall.

Harry shook his head yet again, “I’m on your side, Hermione, I just don’t think that it’s the right time to try and establish conversation.” He said, holding her hand.

“What do you mean?”

“Merlin, Hermione, I thought you might have worked it out by now….” Harry said, and ignoring her angry glance, he continued, “He found out about us just yesterday, and you expect him to be okay with everything when it’s only the day after? That’s ridiculous, Hermione.”

Hermione remained silent as they entered the Hogwarts grounds. The labyrinth of rosebushes, benches and fountains that had been there only last night had already vanished, leaving the grounds spotless and free to roam leisurely. They walked in silence for the first few steps, until Hermione spoke again, “Okay, I understand what you mean, but he didn’t even look at me when I asked for the salt! Harry, you cannot possibly tell me that’s not exaggerating things.”

Harry laughed, shaking his head, “That’s just how he handles things, Hermione. Let him be, will you? Look, let’s concentrate on us; on our lives. We’re together now! There’s nothing that can pull us apart. Shouldn’t we be celebrating that?” He said, kissing her lips softly before sitting down below the shade of a gigantic Willow tree halfway along the grounds.

Hermione smiled, “Yeah, I guess so. But it’s just….” Her voice trailed off and her smile faltered slightly. Biting her lip, she sat down beside Harry, ignoring his puzzled stare.

“What? What’s wrong?” Harry asked, brushing away a strand of her hair so that he could see her clearly. She shook her head and covered her face with her hand to block him from view. He could hear her breath coming in soft gasps, as if she were sobbing quietly. Alarmed, he put his arms around her, “It’s okay…everything’s fine….” He said softly in an attempt to soothe her, but his words only made her cry with more force and shake violently from her sobs.

“Hermione…come on…please, don’t cry…” Harry said as a lump formed in his throat. He patted her back softly and decided to leave asking her what was wrong until she calmed down.

She pulled away from him after five or six minutes. Her eyes were red and swollen from crying and her nose was also rather reddish. She hastily wiped her tears away and turned to Harry, “I’m sorry. Merlin, I feel like such an idiot, crying like that all of a sudden…” She said with a hollow laugh, “I just…realized that…”

Unable to speak due to the lump that had risen in his throat, Harry nodded as a signal for her to continue. She licked her lips, “Well, I realized that”oh, Harry, I hate to have to tell you this in such a way, but”I realized that, there are still things…terrible things…that can pull us apart, Harry. Some are worse than others, yes, but…we’re not safe yet.” Her eyes watered again and she wiped them away with the sleeve of her robes impatiently.

“You mean Voldemort, don’t you?” Harry said, suddenly realizing the cause for her anguish.

“Not only Voldemort”death can also…and there’s my parents, too. I mean, they seem like flies next to Voldemort, but they’re still threats to us. Merlin knows what my mother and father might do to keep us apart.”

“But that’s stupid…why would they want to keep us apart?”

Hermione’s gaze darkened, “My mother…she…thinks that you may get yourself killed with all the Death eaters and stuff going around. She thinks that Ron is a safer choice, and that we would have ‘lovely children together’.” She said, a disgusted look on her face. Harry bit back an urge to curse Hermione’s mother. Her daughter wasn’t even engaged, and she was already thinking about grandchildren? Talk about overeager…and people think teenagers are the ones that rush into things.

Willing himself not to think about little red-headed little girls and boys with bushy hair and large teeth, he took Hermione’s hand into his, “Listen, Hermione…and listen closely, alright?” She nodded and playfully scooted closer to him, “I’m listening.” She whispered, nestling her head on his shoulder. Harry grinned and kissed the top of her head, “Okay…err…right. Hermione, I know that the circumstances our love is being subject to are…well, let’s just say, undesirable. I know that I can’t ask you not to worry about me, or you, or your parents, or death, because it’s only human of you to feel worried for our well-being. I just don’t want you to torment yourself over this. This is my burden”I’m the one that has the weight of every single witch and wizard’s life in my hands, because I’m the one destined to fight Voldemort and actually have a shot at winning”and it makes me feel guilty that you are suffering so much over things that haven’t happened and aren’t even sure to happen. Please…I want you to be happy, Hermione.” He gulped, feeling another lump rising, “If it’s not for your happiness, then…what’s the point?”

“Oh Harry….” Hermione said, several fresh tears welling up in her eyes, “You shouldn’t think like that; there’s loads of other things that you have to fight for.”

Harry snorted, “There’s just no pleasing you, is there?” He rolled his eyes, though his eyes still held a playful expression, “I meant that your happiness is my priority. I suppose I still fight for other things…” He said, kissing her lips. Hermione smiled as their lips made contact, running her hand tenderly through his hair. Delicately letting go of Hermione’s hands, Harry moved his hand towards her back, pausing there before moving towards her waist. Hermione’s free hand locked itself around his neck, caressing him softly on his upper back.

After a few minutes, Hermione pulled back, “That certainly pleases me.” She whispered, grinning. Harry raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth to say something, but they were interrupted by a small, tawny owl that flew between their faces at that moment. It fluttered between them impatiently, waiting for someone to untie the small envelope attached to it. The envelope had three lines of text briskly written on the outside: Hermione Jane Granger, Gryffindor House, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The writing was small and loopy, and went on a completely straight line, as if it had been written using a ruler. Hermione stared at it with mingled horror and uncertainty, and her hand hovered over the knot trying the rolled-up envelope to the owl’s tail. Harry glanced at her questioningly before shrugging and untying the knot. The envelope fell on her lap with a soft plop as the owl hooted softly before departing.

“Who is that from?”

Hermione sighed heavily bringing the envelope into her hands and slowly opening it as if it were a bomb. She glanced at the writing on the back and looked at Harry, “My parents.” She said, “Well, my mom. That’s her handwriting.”

“Why would they write to you now? They never write.” Harry said, gritting his teeth. He already knew the answer.

“Harry, they’re my parents. They have all the right to write to me when they want.” Hermione said automatically, though she didn’t believe it, “I suppose….we’ll find out when we read it.” She said, finally ripping the envelope open and pulling the letter out. It was written on fancy lavender stationary in pen. The handwriting again looked brisk; as if it had been written in a hurry (or in this case, rage) and the person writing it hadn’t bothered rereading what they had written.

Hermione smoothed the paper open and read it. Her eyes grew wide as mingled fury, fear, and dawning comprehension cursed through her body, and her hands shook violently. Angry tears welled up in her eyes, and her lips were very thin. Her face reddened, giving her the appearance that steam was about to burst out of her in rage. When she finished, she stood bolt upright, narrowing her eyes, and made a run for the Castle.

Harry sat, puzzled, as Hermione ran towards the Castle, clutching the letter from her mother in her hand. When the shock seemed to lessen, he realized that he was still sitting watching Hermione sprint away from him instead of chasing after her to dissuade her from doing whatever it was that she was about to do.

Standing up, he pursued after her. He considered using the Impediment jinx on her to stop her, but decided against it. She would probably cast a horrible hex on him for doing such a thing.

And Merlin knows an angry Hermione with a wand in hand is scary…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione stormed into the Great Hall, scanning it quickly for a familiar tall red-head. Her eyes were so narrowed they looked like slits in her face, but she finally saw him. He was sitting in the Gryffindor table, talking with a girl with long, dirty-blonde hair and very pale skin. Hermione was overcome with momentary surprise before she began shoving her way towards them.

What the….? Luna Lovegood? Why would he be talking to her?

Oh, never mind that. If he thinks I’m going to keep quiet about this, he’s got another thing coming. Writing to my parents…honestly! Does he have any idea how much trouble that just caused me?

Inconsiderate prat, dumping his problems onto me.

And he acted completely offended by my relationship with Harry. He really looked very upset about it, and when we argued about it, the rage he felt at my actions was very clear. I mean, he led me to believe he was hurt. Merlin, I actually felt sorry for him! And here he is now, with a girl he usually described as ‘mental and off her rocket’ and writing to my parents!

Oh, just wait till I get there…he’ll see.


Several heads turned as they saw Hermione walking swiftly past them. Some people shot disdainful looks at her, laughing, while others glared, shaking their heads. There were many who leaned forward to speak with their friends in low voices, looking at her out of the corner of their eyes. Hermione pretended she didn’t notice them, though she very well had. It was as if everything she had feared would happen was indeed happening. Everyone already knew about her breakup with Ron and her growing relationship with Harry, including her parents. Her face burned from anger and shame as a group of sixth-year Slytherins hissed insults at her. She closed her eyes momentarily, willing herself to calm, ignoring them. When she opened them again, she found that Ron was staring at her, his face reflecting clear uneasiness and his ears very, very red. Luna hadn’t yet noticed her. She was drinking from a goblet and absently patting Ron’s back.

“Ron.” Hermione hissed, “We need to talk, and I mean now.” She narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms, glaring at him with all her might.

Ron fought the involuntary urge to flinch under her piercing glare. He shot Luna a hopeful look, but found her staring avidly at Hermione, frowning slightly as if she were taking in the details of the image before her. Odd girl, Luna Lovegood…odd girl. Feeling hopeless, he looked down at his plate, hoping Hermione might give up.

She didn’t. With an angry huff, she threw what looked like a letter onto his lap. “Read it.” She hissed, “Go on, read it. I’m sure you’ll find it terribly amusing.” Her voice shook slightly at the end, as if she were fighting with herself to contain from yelling. Suddenly, her gaze traveled to Luna. She raised her eyebrows and sighed, “Luna, I’m sorry, but this is a discussion between Ron and I. If you don’t mind, I’d rather you would leave us alone.”

Luna blinked, “What difference will it make? I suppose I could hear you even if I was halfway around the table.” She said, gesturing to the people sitting nearest to them. As Hermione’s gaze traveled to them, they hastily looked down at their plates, books or talking with the person next to them. Luna’s voice was soft, as if she really didn’t mean to irritate Hermione by her comment, but merely inform her of a very obvious detail. With a vaguely thoughtful expression, she looked at Hermione expectantly, blinking once more.

Hermione pursed her lips, “Fine. We’ll leave, then.” She snapped, grabbing Ron’s arm. He let her move him freely, still clutching the letter in his hand. As they stepped out of the Great Hall and into the Entrance Hall, they bumped into Harry, who was looking very flushed and was panting.

“Fi…finally…Herm…why…did you…leave?” He gasped, grabbing hold of his shoulder to support himself.

“Why do you think?”

Harry looked at her helplessly, “The…letter?” He choked, clutching his chest. Hermione merely nodded and crossed her arms yet again, looking pointedly in Ron’s direction. He, however, was staring down at the letter, his eyes moving madly from side to side as he read it. Harry sighed and edged closer to Ron to read the letter.

Needless to say, he forgot all about being short of breath.

Hermione:

Ron Weasley sent me a letter. A very…interesting letter, I might add.

Yes, you should know the reason for which I am writing to you now. However, for your benefit, I shall explain it to you. How, just how, could you have an affair behind Ron’s back? The poor boy must have been devastated! He waited months, saved up enough money for your ring, asked for our permission personally…do you realize how terrible he must have felt when he saw you with Harry Potter?

I would have thought your father and I raised you better than that! How could you do such a disgraceful thing, Hermione? What could have gone through your mind?

But I shouldn’t ask that, should I? You and I both know what it was. That Harry Potter.

Hermione Jane Granger, I simply don’t know what to say to you. After your father and I expressed our concerns about establishing a more-than-friends relationship with that boy, you decide to go out and do exactly what we told you not to! If you believe that by challenging us you will gain something, you are very, very wrong. Your father has decided that he does not want to speak to you, and I would have done the same thing if I didn’t think that you need someone to bring you back to your senses.

I would just like to understand why you did this. Did we not make ourselves clear? Perhaps you thought you were in love with Harry? Being seventeen, I suppose such a mistake is as understandable as it is not excusable. You are young, and you do not know what love really is. However, you should know that love and lust are two very different things. At your age it is easy to confuse lust for love, being so inexperienced in life and choices in general. If you are merely physically attracted to Harry, then you are most certainly not in love, and won’t be able to form a relationship based on such nonsense.

I don’t know what your attraction to Harry is based on. It might be lust, it might be a deep friendship; I don’t know for sure. Only you know that. However, I need to tell you this: At an age as young as yours, one thinks that one is capable of doing anything. Nothing seems too hard or impossible, particularly when one is blinded by love. Hermione, the war of the world you have chosen to live in is unfolding even as I write this (I know, darling, how would I know? Well, I have been corresponding with Dumbledore, and may I say, I do not like what I am reading.) Your life, as well as everyone else’s is in grave danger, but do you realize that Harry is in the most mortal peril? If You-Know-Who (I’m sorry, I can’t even write the name...) is after your beloved, then he is obviously the one in the most dangerous conditions. Why should this concern you? Why should you not stay by his side; the noble heroine, never to let her loved one die? (Honestly, need I tell you this, Hermione?) Well, being the woman he loves, you are in the same (if not more) danger than he is! You could be taken hostage, used as bait for him to come rescue you, murdered just to make him come to his death as well!

You might narrow your eyes all you want, but you could never stand a chance against those terrible assassins. They could twist your neck in a heartbeat, Hermione! You are my only daughter, and I am not about to let you die for because of some stupid mistake you made!

He has been chained to this destiny from before this birth, but you have no reason”no excuse”to die along with him or suffer because of his fate.

Please, Hermione. I am your mother…I only want the best for you! Why do you think I insist in warning you about this? To torment you? To make your life miserable? No. Quite the contrary, actually. I want you to avoid making errors and wrong decisions that may permanently affect your life; I want you to live happily. I love you, sweetheart. You are what brings happiness into my life. From the moment you were born, you changed my life forever.

God blessed you with your intelligence, and I know it will help you now when you make your final decision. I hope you take that into account before criticizing my judgment and the things I have taken the liberty of telling you through this letter.

Love,
Your mother



“Well?” Hermione asked as Ron’s gaze traveled to her. He was looking at her with a fearful yet challenging expression, his ears reddened in his strained effort to try to read the emotion on her face. He was pretty sure she was angry”he could tell by just looking at her narrowed eyes, thin lips, and crossed arms”but he thought her voice sounded more sad than angry. Hermione raised her eyebrows as she saw Ron staring avidly at her, deep in thought. With an angry glare at him, she asked, “Would you care to explain why you felt it necessary to explain to my parents about what happened?” Her voice was dangerously low, which served as a warning sign to Ron.

“I…well…I wrote to them because…” Ron said slowly, clearing his throat and looking around to avoid looking into Hermione’s eyes. However, all he saw was Harry, who was moving towards Hermione with an angry look in his direction. Moving his gaze uneasily to the floor, he continued, “Well, they told me”when I asked them for permission to…propose to you”they told me to send them a letter the fastest way possible telling them how it all went.”

“Oh, so you decided to let them know exactly how I said no to you?”

“Look, I know what you’re thinking, Hermione, and it’s not like that. I didn’t do it to hurt you or anything, and much less to cause you trouble.” Ron said, a sudden anger flaring up inside him, “I just thought that, well, even if what you said wasn’t what they wanted to hear, they should know.”

Harry snorted, “Yeah, Ron, very noble of you. I bet if it had been your parents you would have fought fifty Blast-Ended Screwts before letting your mother know.”

Ron’s ears reddened, “Harry, just stay out of this! This is of no concern to you.” Looking at Hermione, he added, “I’m not sorry for telling them. They would’ve found out anyway, and it’s better they know what’s happening.”

Hermione threw her hands up in exasperation, “Much better, sure, Ron. Now, on top of everything else, I’ve got something more to worry about! My father, as you just read, isn’t talking to me! And he’s a stubborn man”“

“You don’t need to tell me that. I just have to take one look at you and imagine how your family must be!” Ron snapped, unable to control his thoughts from pouring out of his mouth. Oh, great. Now I’ve made things worse…

Hermione reddened, and Harry had to grab her arm to keep her from whipping out her wand, “Listen, Hermione, relax. You know how many times you’ve told me not to let what others say get to me? Well, remember those times, okay? C’mon, we’ve already cleared up anything worth clearing up here. Let it go…” He said soothingly in a low voice as he struggled to restrain her hand from reaching into her pocket. Finally, after several minutes of glaring furiously at Rona and fighting Harry’s grip on her arm, she took a deep breath and calmed down.

“You’re right.” She said pointedly, still throwing Ron glowering looks, “You’re right…he’s not worth my trouble.” Harry smiled weakly at her and nodded, patting her back. Ron tried not to move, watching her closely and hoping Harry would get her away before she found a way grab her wand and hex him in the blink of an eye. Harry glared at Ron, and grabbed Hermione’s hand, trying to steer her away towards the Grounds once more. However, she stood still, looking at Ron with narrowed eyes, deep in thought.


“You know, I would have thought that you would have waited longer before you replaced me.” She said quietly, “You seemed very hurt last night….I didn’t see you as the type that would have a new girlfriend the next morning.” Harry froze, looking from Hermione to Ron nervously.

Ron’s head shot up to meet her at eye level, “I”what?”

Hermione shrugged delicately, “Luna Lovegood, of all people…”

Ron’s jaw dropped in unpleasant surprise and he took a menacing step towards her, “What is wrong with you? What makes you think she and I”that we’re…?” He asked, outraged and disgusted at her ridiculous accusations.

“Ron, she was caressing your back at the Gryffindor table, and you were talking in low voices. I’m not blind; I saw you.”

Ron shook his head, clenching his fists, “She came up to me and asked if I was alright because I wasn’t eating! I never asked her to come talk, and quite honestly, I was distracted by other things to even notice what she was doing.” He snarled through gritted teeth, “But I didn’t think you the jealous type, either. Jumping to weird conclusions on things you saw?” He hissed, raising an eyebrow.

“I wasn’t jealous. If you must know, I was angry because I saw you with her talking, which made me think you were feigning to be angry and offended yesterday.” She snapped, rolling her eyes.

“Yeah? Just because you’re a liar, doesn’t mean everyone else is.” Ron snapped, violently shoving her mother’s letter into her arms and pushing past her in the direction of the Grand Staircase.

After staring angrily in Ron’s direction and toying with the idea of hexing him, Harry turned to Hermione. It was then that he noticed that she appeared to be crying again. She had buried her face in her hands, dropping the letter and was shaking slightly. Slowly, he moved towards her, “It’s alright, Hermione…everything’s alright…don’t worry.” He said in a low voice, patting her back. She looked up at him sadly, her eyes shining with tears. She shook her head, pulling him closer into a hug, “No it’s not…” She mumbled, “Everything’s completely wrong.”

“Hermione--”

“No, Harry, it’s true!” Hermione wailed, her face resting on Harry’s chest as he tried to soothe her, “My father doesn’t want to speak to me, my mother is dead-set on believing that you will die, everyone in the school thinks I’m mad, Ron hates me, and on top of it all, I have homework to worry about! Oh, and there’s also the threat of Voldemort on everyone, and Professor Trewlaney's dissappearance!” Hermione said miserably, clutching Harry’s arms and sobbing, “I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do about it all…” She finished quietly with another sob.

“You can’t do anything about Voldemort.” Harry said automatically, shaking his head slightly, “We talked about this remember? That’s my”“

“But there’s got to be something I can do about everything else! I can’t just let things happen like this, Harry!”

“I see your mother was right on one thing.” Harry said, a grin playing on his lips as he gave her a little squeeze on her sides. With a giggle, she jumped away from him, only to walk towards him again and giving him a quick kiss. With a sideway glance at the people around them, she pulled him close again, playing with his hair. He smiled, his hands on her waist.

With a slight frown, she asked, “But what exactly did you mean by that? You can’t possible be agreeing with her that…that…” Her voice trailed off, and her sudden happiness was replaced by a darkly pensive expression.

“May I see the letter again?”

Hermione nodded, bending over to grab the letter and handing it to him. His eyes moved quickly from side to side as he scanned the letter for the quote he was looking for, and Hermione felt a bit of a grin spreading through her lips as she realized how handsome he seemed to look when he was deep in thought.

“Here it is, I’ll read it for you. ‘At an age as young as yours, one thinks that one is capable of doing anything. Nothing seems too hard or impossible, particularly when one is blinded by love.’” He read in a low voice for her to hear, and when he finished reading he quickly looked up and spoke again, “What I mean is, you can’t expect to be able to do everything. Some things…you just have to let them be.”

He paused, looking at her uncertainly, and she smiled and nodded as a sign for him to continue, “But no matter how things get, I’ll always be here, Hermione. No matter what your mother told you in that letter, I know what we have is truly love, and that’s why I’ll always be at your side, facing the good things as well as the bad things. I love you.” Harry whispered, patting her head and twirling a strand of her hair between his fingers. She looked up at him and gave him a weak smile before standing on tiptoe and kissing him softly, “I really hope you’re right, Harry…I hope we never have to be apart.” She whispered, a tear running down her cheek.

Harry nodded, “We won’t. I promise.” He said, pulling her very close to him and kissing her lips softly. She wrung her arms around his neck, her hands still lost in his hair. Wrapping his arms around her, he lovingly stroked her back, silently vowing to protect her from harm’s way during the War that quickly approached them.

I have to protect her. She’s really all that I have…if she died, what reason would I have to live after the War? I would have defeated Voldemort only to live in more misery.

I will prove her mother wrong. I’ll prove to her that I can protect her daughter better than Ron can, and I’ll prove to her that I’m not destined to die.

I will defeat Voldemort…for Hermione.




A/N: First off, I would like to apologize for the time I took to write this. School’s started and I’m afraid my priorities are my studies, not my writing. I will continue posting, of course, just…not very quickly.

I hope this chapter wasn’t too bad…I have to admit I don’t like the bit with Ron and Hermione too much. I was looking for something longer to argue about, but I couldn’t find anything, so I left it at that. =( At least this was shippy, though, right?

Thanks for all your reviews! You rock!