Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

All Right, Evans? by anglophile

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I've loved the idea of this side- story since it was mentioned in Prizoner of Azkaban... I hope I've done it justice!

“Where’ve you been?” James asked Sirius as he casually strode into the boy’s dormitory. “It’s nearly sunset! We should have left for the Shrieking Shack ten minutes ago!”

Sirius grinned at James and Peter. “I was just having a little fun.”

“You haven’t been hanging around that Hufflepuff girl again, have you, Padfoot?” Peter asked apprehensively.

Sirius’ grin widened. “No, even better. Well, maybe not better, she is pretty cute...” he trailed off. “But just as entertaining.”

“Well, what?”

“Snivellus,” he hissed.

James groaned. “Padfoot, you know I love a good Snivellus prank just as much as you do, but it’s full moon!” He held up his invisibility cloak and began to put it on.

“I know. That’s what makes it the prank of all pranks, my dear Prongsie.”

“What are you talking about?” James asked exasperatedly.

“Our dear friend Snivelly was getting a bit too nosy for his own good. I mean, who can blame him, with a honker like that who wouldn’t be nosy...”

“Get to the point!” Peter reminded him, watching as the late spring sky turned from blue to purple from outside the window.

“Right. He was watching Moony from the window in the hall, seemed to be interested in where he was going. I let it slip to him that there might be a way of going in after him... to see what he was up to... he just couldn’t resist the temptation of getting Moony in trouble, the slimy git...”

James’ mouth dropped and he gaped at his best friend. “You didn’t. Tell me you didn’t, Sirius," he said plainly.

Sirius laughed. “Of course I did! I couldn’t let a golden opportunity like that pass me by! It’s high time that Snivellus learns to mind his own business.”

Peter’s nose began to twitch and his eyes became glassy, like a rodent’s. “Oh, this is bad,” he said. "This is very bad...
"

James stepped forward, in total disbelief. “Sirius, if he goes after Remus, he’s going to come face- to- face with a full- grown werewolf! He could get bitten, or worse, killed! What about Remus, eh? He can’t control himself! Do you think he wants to become a killer because of you!?” He shouted, his face turning the shade of a tomato.

Sirius stepped back and his expression changed completely. “It... It was only a joke... I didn’t think--”

“No, you never think!” James bellowed, and without even looking back, he ran out of the dormitory.

James ran faster than he ever had. Through the windows in the corridors he had peeks of the sky... it was already dark. There wouldn't be time to get a teacher. Remus was already in his wolf form. If Snape had let his curiosity get the best of him, he was in serious danger.

James ran down the stairs and out of the castle. Why was Sirius such a prat sometimes? He was so immature. Everything he did was for the thrill, and he thought that his actions didn’t have consequences. James liked a joke just as much as his best friend did, but this time, it had simply gone too far. As James approached the Whomping Willow, he prayed that it wasn’t too late.

It was then that he saw it- a black cloak lying at the base of the tree. Snape was inside.

The Willow’s branches were swinging wildly in the cool night air. James was suddenly furious with himself for not bringing Peter... how was he supposed to touch the knot? The rat form of Peter could have done it in a second. But it was too late now. James ran up towards the tree, but an enormous solid branch walloped him in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him and sending him flying. Every time James took a step, the tree sent him back two. His glasses were smashed and he could feel the cuts and bruises on his arms and legs, but he couldn’t give up.

Then, he spotted it. A long, sturdy twig lying near the right side of the tree. He figured that must have been what Snape had used to get in. James lunged towards it, grabbed onto the end, and pulled away at the last second. A massive branch had almost swung right into his head. He crawled forward and thrust it at the knot on the tree’s trunk. Instantaneously, the branches stopped swaying and the tree froze, as if petrified.

Without a second thought, James crawled under and into the passageway. “Lumos,” he muttered, and began to run full speed with his lighted wand in front of him. He ran for what seemed like ages, not seeing anything except the dark, dirt walls of the tunnel. James never remembered the journey towards the shack being that long.

“AAARG!”

James heard a yell. He froze, then sprinted up. The tunnel was inclining, growing higher and higher, it wasn’t much longer...

And then he saw him. Severus Snape, a look of sheer terror plastered on his pale, greasy face. He had opened the door to the Shrieking Shack and what he saw had horrified him.

An enormous, gray, shaggy creature stood towering in the doorway. Its hollow, yellow eyes glinted and glared at the two boys that were standing in front of it. It growled menacingly, exposing its sharp teeth and flinging snot out of its snout.

James looked over at Snape. For the first time in his life, he let down his guard. He looked scared, helpless... he was looking to James for a plan, and James didn’t have one.

Without warning, the werewolf flung itself at the doorway. James’ Quidditch reflexes went into action.

“IMMOBILIS!” he bellowed, pointing his wand at the wolf. Its body froze in place, while it’s head still snarled at him ferociously. James panicked. That wasn’t supposed to happen! Why didn’t its entire body freeze?! But he didn’t have time to think anymore. He pulled the door shut tightly, and yelled at Snape, “RUN!”

The two boys sprinted down the tunnel like their lives depended on it... and they did. James wasn’t very adept at Charms, and he wasn’t sure how long it would last. Finally, they reached the opening. James hauled Snape’s thin, gangling body through the entryway and followed him immediately. James fell on the ground out of the reach of the tree’s branches, gasping for air and clutching his side. He picked up his head and looked to Snape. He was doing the exact same thing. Then James turned his head and saw Albus Dumbledore standing before him.

*********************


"Please come with me."

That was all that Professor Dumbledore said to James and Snape before turning on his heels and walking across the grounds. He did not wait for the boys to get up, but they caught up with him in a rush.

James' legs were sore and tired. Between running from the dormitory to the Whomping Willow, down the tunnel and back again, he felt as if he had just completed a marathon. He was amazed at how quickly Dumbledore was able to walk for being such an old man.

The odd trio were as silent as the night as they swiftly walked in a triangular formation, with Dumbledore leading the way. James glanced over at Snape; his expression was comprised of shock, terror, and disgust all in one.

As they reached Dumbledore's office, James was able to stop and catch his breath for a moment. He didn't care if he was in trouble, as long as he got to sit down.

"Acid Pop," Dumbledore said calmly.

The statue of the gargoyle leapt aside and revealed the familiar flight of stairs, which they climbed. Dumbledore sat down at his desk and motioned James and Snape to sit down in front of him.
For a moment, he didn't say anything at all. His electric blue eyes twinkled in the dim firelight. James watched him closely, waiting for what was coming and trying to form a story in his mind. He was furious at Sirius, yes, but never in a million years would he ever rat him out. Snape was a different story. He wouldn't hesitate to get Sirius in trouble... hell, he would be thrilled.

"You two have certainly had an interesting evening," Dumbledore finally said quietly.
James and Snape said nothing.

"Now, am I safe to assume that the both of you know what... or what I mean to say is, who... you encountered tonight in the Shrieking Shack?"

"Lupin is a werewolf," Snape spat, not bothering to raise his eyes to look at Dumbledore. James felt a rage of fury towards him.

"Indeed he is," Dumbledore answered simply. "Mr. Potter, of course, I guessed that being Mr. Lupin's good friend, you would know already. I also might have heard you call him 'Moony' once or twice."

James heart skipped a beat. He made a mental note to not call his friends by their nicknames in front of teachers.

Dumbledore sat forward, gazing intently at the two boys in front of him. "Mr. Snape, I know that you and Mr. Lupin are not exactly... well... friends, but I must ask you a favor. You must never tell anyone what you have seen tonight. Not a soul." His eyes were amazingly intense for such an old man.

When Snape did not answer, he continued. "If perhaps, and I am confident that this will never happen, you let it slip-- I am afraid that there will be consequences."

Snape's bottom lip disappeared into a tight purse. His beady eyes darted to Dumbledore's.

"Now, do I have your word?"

He had Snape in a corner. "Yes," Snape said reluctantly.

"Splendid." Dumbledore leaned back in his chair. He looked as if he was waiting, but for what, James did not know.

"It was Sirius Black, Professor," Snape suddenly spat out. "He told me to follow Lupin. He knew."

James clenched his fists in his chair until his knuckles turned white. He had known that Snape would do this... if he was going to be in Dumbledore's debt, he wanted to take someone down with him. James suddenly could not remember why he had bothered to save the slimy prat’s life.

Dumbledore looked emotionless at this news. He leaned in again, focusing on Snape. “Thank you for telling me, Severus.”

Snape’s pale face had cracked into a malicious grin.

“However, I am already aware of this.”

As Snape’s smile disappeared, James couldn’t believe what he was hearing. How did Dumbledore know? Had he assumed, given Sirius’ past with Snape, that he was to blame?

“I will have you know that Mr. Black came to me tonight, not a moment after Mr. Potter had gone to put a stop to the prank that he had created.”

James’ jaw dropped. Dumbledore continued.

“He told me what he had done, and said that he was incredibly sorry. Not to sound pompous, but I regard myself as an excellent judge of character. I believe that Mr. Black showed great integrity and sincerity by coming to me. It was something that he did not have to do. I ask you to remember that, Mr. Snape, the next time you come across Mr. Black or Mr. Potter. Remember that James did not have to do what he did either.” One of his ancient white eyebrows were raised in Snape's direction.

Snape looked fit to kill. He sat twitching in his chair, glancing at the door at every available moment.

Dumbledore relaxed again. “It is late. If either of you wish to visit Madam Pomfrey, she will be pleased to see you. Although, considering you boys are better judges of your own health than I am, you may just return to your dormitory and get some rest if you wish. Goodnight,” he said.

Snape rose quickly and avoided James’ glare as he sulked away. James thought he saw Dumbledore wink at him as he turned, but when he looked again, he was fiddling with one of the silver instruments on his desk. So he walked out of the room, grateful that the night had not been as bad as it could have been.

“James.”

James turned around outside of the statue of the gargoyle and met Sirius. He did not look his usual smiling, handsome self. He seemed worried and much older than he really was.

“James... I’m sorry,” he said quietly.

James sighed. “Sirius, I should be apologizing to you. I didn't mean what I said."

“You were right,” Sirius protested. “I was a total git, and I didn’t think of what might have happened.”

James smiled and Sirius returned it. Silently, they both knew that everything was all right again between them.

"Just promise me one thing," James said, as they began to walk back up towards Gryffindor Tower.

"Anything," Sirius said sincerely, crossing his fingers and placing his hand on his heart with a smile.

"Let's not hex Snape for at least, say... another twenty-four hours, okay?"