Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

All Right, Evans? by anglophile

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: My apologies for being an awful author this summer and neglecting my fic! You know, those lazy summer days... anyway, I took a little time to update in between getting ready for the new school year. Enjoy!
Lily was so nervous, she thought she was going to be sick. She hadn't even felt this anxious when she had gotten her O.W.L. results in the post over the summer (seven 'Outstanding's' and one ‘Exceeds Expectations’). What was she doing? Was she crazy? If it weren’t for the fact that she was halfway there, she might have turned back.

He had said to meet her in the Courtyard after lunch. He had slipped her a note while she was eating. It made her lose her appetite. Alice and Ophelia had urged her to go for it, but her palms were sweaty and her knees felt weak. Sure, they could talk... Ophelia had a different boy after her every month lately, and Alice had just begun to date Frank Longbottom, a Hufflepuff sixth year. It’s not like Lily had a lot of experience... sure, a few boys (and one fairly obnoxious one) had paid attention to her over the years, but it’s not like she was exactly comfortable around the opposite sex.

She had liked him now for a while, always blushing when she passed him and avoiding his direct glare... not exactly the way to get a boy to notice you.... but obviously somehow he did. And now she was meeting him, in the Courtyard. Oh yes, she felt like she was going to be sick.

She walked outside and spotted him. He was so handsome- his blond hair and brown eyes reflected the sunlight as he stood in a casually graceful pose.

“Hi,” she choked out, embarrassed at the way her voice sounded.

“Oh, Lily, hey!” he said brightly, looking as cool and collected as ever. “I was starting to think that you weren’t going to show up!”

Lily tried to laugh cutely, but it ended being some kind of snort, like she had something stuck up her nose.

“I just wanted to ask you if you were going to Hogsmeade with anyone this weekend.”

Lily’s heart skipped a beat. “Um... no, not really...”

“Good,” he smiled.

Lily returned it.

“So... do you want to come with me?” he asked in a charming, boyish sort of way.

She didn’t respond. She was worried that something other than words might fly out of her mouth.

“If you don’t want to, that’s okay....” Aaron began awkwardly.

“No, I do!” she said quickly. “That would be... that would be fun.”

They smiled at each other. “Okay,” he said. “See you later, Lily.”

Lily watched him stride back up to the castle with a casual sophistication. Once he was out of sight, Alice and Ophelia suddenly appeared from behind a tree.

Lily laughed. “You guys weren’t listening, were you?”

“Of course not, Lily, we wouldn't do that, not your two best friends!” Ophelia grinned. Lily looked stern.

“You’re going out with Aaron Anderson!” Alice squealed. They all laughed.

Lily couldn’t believe her luck. Aaron Anderson was, of course, the handsome, popular Ravenclaw Seeker that quite a few of the girls in her year had their eyes on. But he had bypassed them for Lily. She smiled at her friends, who were all excited for her. She was going out with Aaron Anderson!

“I’ve got to get to the bathroom,” Lily mumbled as she ran towards the school, one hand on her stomach and one covering her mouth.

*******

“Aaron... Anderson...”

James drew out the name like it was an extremely dirty word. “I don’t believe it.”

“Believe it,” Sirius told him. “A lot of guys have been paying more attention to Lily this year. You know, even I have to admit, she’s really-”

James shot him a warning look.

“All yours, mate, all yours.” Sirius’s hands went into the air in surrender.

“What does she see in him?” James asked, not taking his eyes off of them. They were sitting on a bench outside, and he was making her laugh. From the tree that they were leaning against, James had a perfect view of the (unfortunately) happy couple.

Remus shrugged. “He’s quite popular... and plays Quidditch, and he gets good marks, you know...”

“You’re describing me, Moony,” James said pompously. It was, however, the truth. “I meant what does she see in him that she doesn’t see in me?”

“Dunno.”

It’s not like James would have been happy no matter who Lily decided to go out with, but of all people, Aaron Anderson! The last time that Gryffindor had played against Ravenclaw, he had had a hand in some of the slyest cheating James had ever witnessed. James couldn't stand the sight of him. He fought the urge to just walk on over and...

“Remind me again why I can’t just beat the pulp out of him?” James asked through clenched teeth.

“Save that for Quidditch field- your match against Ravenclaw is Saturday, remember?" Peter told him.

James' eyes glinted. "Oh, yeah... yeah..." He saw Aaron casually lean over and kiss Lily, who looked elated.

"Prongs! Prongs, what's that tree ever done to you?"

James noticed he had a fist full of bark and threw it on the floor.