Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Mystery Letter by the_bartender713

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: blah blah, I do not own Harry Potter.... oh, you know the drill!!!



Chapter V: fulfilling the bargain

Harry walked up the stairs to his and Ron’s bedroom, his thoughts racing, only to find Ron pacing the floor muttering to himself.

“What’s on your mind?” Harry asked. Ron jumped, and turned bright red.

“Nothing.” He muttered.

“Don’t lie, mate.” Harry said. He knew that he might as well bring it up now. There was no point in beating around the bush. “I saw you at dinner tonight. Hermione was looking pretty nice… or maybe you didn’t notice and were really just looking at the wall, and that’s why you kept missing your mouth with your fork.”

Ron threw a pillow at him, but Harry was too quick for him, and caught it. Harry lobbed it back at him, and attempted to continue the converation.
“Look, Ron, you’d better be thankful that I can’t use magic, or I would definitely be using the Legilimens spell on you right now, and then you’d be spilling your guts without even realizing it!”

Ron started to ask what the Legilimens spell was, but stopped short, shook his head, and sat down on his bed.

“Fess up, Ron. I’m your best mate, and if you can’t tell me, you’re going to be stuck with it on your mind forever. Come on,” he prodded, “it can’t hurt can it?”

Ron sighed. “Look Harry. I know everything okay. You might not know it, but Ginny and I have gotten pretty close since everything that’s happened. She told me about the letters she wrote you, but made me promise not to tell you.
“I knew she fancied you, and yeah, I’m her brother, so she thought I would be upset. That’s why she said she knew it would never work between you two. She saw how upset I got when she was with that git from Hufflepuff, and then even Dean Thomas. But I mean, you’re my best friend, and so I knew I could trust you with my baby sister. And if you DID ever happen to hurt her- I would be right there to see it happen, and curse you on the spot.
“When you wrote her back and told her you liked someone else, she came crying to me. I’ve never seen her so hurt, and honestly, I wanted to strangle you for upsetting her. I almost said something at dinner tonight, but I just knew it would cause a row, and I didn’t want to be bothered.
“ I snuck into her room last night and read your replies. I know you like ‘Mione, and yes, I DO fancy her, but come off it, mate. She would never like me. She’s too smart and beautiful and just, argh, she’s EVERYTHING, and I’m NOTHING. Of course she would want you. You’re the famous Harry Potter, and I’m just the sidekick.”

Harry began to protest about the ‘sidekick’ thing, but Ron cut him off.
“No really, it’s not a big deal, Harry. I take back seat to my brothers in school, why shouldn’t I to my best friend in life and LOVE as well now, too?”

Harry tried to interrupt and explain, but Ron was on a roll, and wouldn’t be stopped. It seemed like everything that he had been holding back for the past 5 years was coming out. Although at the same time, Harry couldn’t help but be impressed with the way Ron was being so collected about it. The Ron he had known a few years ago would have blown up completely by now.

“You know,” he continued, halting Harry’s attempt at words with the raise of his hand, “I thought I would be a little bit more upset with you for having Hermione like you, but I mean, I thought about it all last night. I really can’t blame YOU for what Hermione feels. All I can do is accept it and try to get over her.
“But please, Harry, you ARE my best mate, so just try not to snog in front of me, ‘cause I WOULD get jealous. Promise me that, and I’ll promise not to strangle you for hurting my baby sister. Besides, I mean, Padma Patil’s not so bad- kind of ditzy, and no where near in ‘Mione’s league, but still, not bad… I guess she’ll have to do.”

Now it was Harry’s turn to laugh uncontrollably. It didn’t surprise him though, when Ron reacted the same way as he had with Hermione, and started yelling at him. Harry regained his composure, and began to explain.
He told Ron about the letters, and how everything pointed to him that they were from Hermione: the signature, charm to make it look written by a MUGGLE computer, having no girl friends in her year. He explained everything as quickly as he could, so as to prevent another misinformed rant from Ron, and was quite surprised when he finished, to find Ron smiling at him.

“So, you mean it? She really likes me?” Ron jumped into the air, and gave a whoop, and then came over to give Harry a smack on the back. “Thanks mate. For telling me, I mean, now that I know I actually have a chance, I might be able to talk to her.”

Harry grinned. “No, Ron. You WILL talk to her. Next time you see her. And if you don’t, I’ll hex you.”
Harry and Ron changed into their pajamas, and tried to go to sleep. Harry knew Ron fell asleep immediately, and could tell by the way he was snoring, that he was definitely having happy dreams about Hermione.
‘Well,’ he thought, ‘at least two of us will be happy.’ Harry could only hope that Hermione’s conversation with Ginny had gone over as well as his did with Ron. Either way, he would find out soon enough.

As it turned out, Harry didn’t have to wait long. Not five minutes after him and Ron had turned out the light; Hermione silently opened the door, and prodded him awake.

“Harry,” she whispered, so as not to wake Ron. “Ginny’s locked me out. I don’t know what to do. I tried to talk to her and-“

Ron sitting up sleepily cut her short. “What did they get a penalty shot for?! Rubbish!” he shouted, stupidly. Quick enough, though, he saw Hermione, and blushed furiously. “Oh. Hi, ‘Mione. Sorry- dreaming about Quidditch again. Something wrong?”

Harry couldn’t choose which of the two was redder, and finally, stood up and grabbed his dressing gown.
“Look, I feel a bit peckish. I think I’ll go down and see if Dobby will make me something to eat.” He gave an obvious wink, so both Ron and Hermione could see (although each friend thought it was only seen by themselves), and headed to the kitchens.