Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crossing Paths by NimbusBoy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 1- The Looming Summer

Harry reflected quietly on his bed over the year he had just had. He had defeated Voldemort, he had gotten good marks in his 6th year, Ron and him had become even closer friends, and Harry had found a great girlfriend in Lavender Brown. Yet after all this, he still had to return to the Dursley’s house for the summer break. Dumbledore didn’t want to take any chances with Harry’s safety, wanting to make sure Voldemort was in fact dead for good this time, after coming back so many times already.

Harry wasn’t happy at the news that he wouldn’t be able to go to the Burrow to spend time with his best friend, rather having to go the house where everybody hated him and acted as if he didn’t exist. He had nothing to look forward to this summer as the Dursley’s could care less who Harry had defeated since they hadn’t done them the favor of getting Harry done in as well. Though Harry didn’t mind what the Dursley’s thought of him, he thought he deserved much more for having accomplished what he did. “I only just defeated the darkest wizard of all time, yet I still get put to the side,” Harry thought gloomily, sitting on his bed passing the last few minutes before he departed for the Hogwarts Express.

Harry was startled a minute later by the appearance of Ron, who came bursting in saying “Harry mate, come on, we’re going to miss the train.”

Harry quickly replied, “Ron take it easy, the train doesn’t leave for another twenty minutes.”

“I know Harry, it’s just I wanted to show you something before leaving.”

Harry just sat gloomily staring out the window, saying half-heartedly, “Well you can show me after summer break. I just want to sit here by myself for a minute.”

Ron quickly said, “Harry mate, you won’t let anybody do anything good for you these days. Just come on in now you two.”

At that, Ginny and Lavender came through the door with some presents and a sign that said, “We’ll miss you Harry.”

Harry used a fake smile to show his appreciation for what his friends were doing, but really inside was not excited by their surprise. He was cheered up though when he saw their gift. The three of them had made a scrapbook of various photos of Harry and Lavender together, of him and Ron, and all of them together having a good time. Harry quickly said, “Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just don’t know how I’d get through this summer without the three of you.”

“We’ll always be there for you Harry if you ever need us this summer, just write and we’ll do what’s needed,” Lavender said, giving Harry a hug and kiss at the same time as well. “I’m going to miss you so much this summer, I’ll write to you all the time and try and see you as soon as I can,” Lavender told Harry.

“Well we better get heading down to the train, we don’t want to miss that or who knows what will happen,” Ron said to the other three.

Harry stood up and looked around quizzically at the boys dormitory, wondering how so much had happened that year so fast. “I’ll catch up with you three in a second, there’s something I need to do before I go,” Harry told the three of them.

When Ron, Lavender, and Ginny left the room, Harry quickly went over to a floor board by his bed and started digging his finger under till it came loose revealing a small hiding spot. In here, Harry found his secret journal, one he had used to help put some sense into all the emotions he had going on inside his head. “Can’t forget this,” he told himself, before placing the board back, and then Harry ran from the room to catch up with his friends.

Harry caught up with the other three, his journal hidden inside his robe, and the four of them headed down to the train. He hadn’t told anybody, not even Ron, that he had been keeping a journal of all his thoughts and emotions, fearing that they would either make fun of him or say something to him about getting help for what he went through.

The four of them quickly reached the Hogwarts Express and found a compartment to themselves, spending their last few hours together playing exploding snap and eating various sweets from the cart. Harry wished the train ride could’ve lasted forever, taking him wherever and whenever, just so long as it wasn’t the Dursley’s house. He wasn’t looking forward to a summer of being ignored and accompaniment by people who pretended he didn’t exist.

Harry just sat staring out the window, reflecting over what would ensue that summer. It surely wasn’t going to be one to remember, separated from all those he cared about most. What hurt most was that he didn’t need to be there, like in years past where it was for his protection. He had defeated Voldemort, he had seen him die at his hands, so why did he have to return to Privet Drive? Harry didn’t understand.

Lavender saw the worry in Harry and asked, “Do you think you’ll be able to get through the summer at Privet Drive?”

“I don’t think it’s whether I can get through it, but whether I want to. I can easily just leave whenever, I can even just run for it at Kings Cross station. I can make my own decisions.” said Harry

“Harry you can’t. Dumbledore is looking out for you, and has your best interests at heart, so please don’t go defying them,” Lavender told Harry.

Harry could only reply with saying “I’ll try.”

The four of them sat in silence for the last few minutes of the ride, unsure of what to say or what to do. None of them wanted to say anything at the present time, not sure whether it be the wrong to say or do right then and there. The silence was broken by the braking of the train, as they had arrived at Platform 9 ¾.

Harry quickly shot up from his seat, abandoning the other three while he headed off to get his things. He gathered up Hedwig and all his other possessions and waited for the other three to get their things. When the other three arrived with their possessions by the barrier, Harry quickly said, “Lets just make this goodbye quick. The last thing I need is another reason to feel any worse than I already am.”

Ginny and Ron both gave Harry their goodbyes, telling him they would try as soon as they could to get him away from the Dursleys and to the Burrow. Harry gloomily told them goodbye, and that he’d keep them updated on what was happening to him at Privet Drive.

Lavender took Harry to the side so they could talk alone, saying, “Harry, I know you’ll be able to make it through this summer. You’ve defeated Voldemort, you’ve done so much. Something like this will be the easiest task you’ve ever accomplished. And besides, you have me to look forward to seeing.”

This made Harry smile, and he told Lavender, “thanks, that really means a lot. I’ll write as often as I can and let you know what’s happening. I’ll miss you so much.”

The two shared one last kiss, and Harry waved bye to Ron and Ginny and ran through the barrier. Once through the barrier, he saw Uncle Vernon waiting up by the exit. Harry turned to have one last look at the barrier, and hurriedly turned back to go meet Uncle Vernon, only he smacked directly into a young woman with bushy brown hair, knocking her over and causing her to drop her things. “I’m really sorry, I just turned to look at something, and didn’t look where I was going when I turned around.” said Harry

The young woman replied very haughtily, “Please do look where your going in the future, it’s a wonder you didn’t hit someone else.”

“I’m really sorry, it was an accident. I didn’t mean to knock you over,” said Harry, but the young woman had already left. “Some people I guess.”