Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crossing Paths by NimbusBoy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews thus far and I hope you've enjoyed the story up to this point.

Chapter 2 -- The New Arrival

“Hurry up boy, I haven’t got all day now,” said Uncle Vernon to Harry, as he jostled Harry along inside the King’s Cross Station. “It’s bad enough I have to walk alongside you with that bloody bird of yours.”

Harry could already tell the kind of summer he was going to have. He hadn’t seen his uncle for more than a minute, and he could still tell how much his uncle despised him. Harry could tell this was just going to be like the past, having no friends around and feeling completely alone. He just hoped his friends would write this summer, letting him know they still cared and hopefully help take his mind of the Dursleys.

The car ride home was no joy for Harry either, as Uncle Vernon and he pretended neither was there in the car. At last though, they had reached number 4 Privet Drive. Harry exited the car and looked around the street, seeing that it was the same old, same old, except for a house down the street that seemed to be empty now. It didn’t matter though, as Harry never knew the people who lived there.

Harry grudgingly entered the Dursleys' home, only to find the two people who despised him more than Uncle Vernon: Aunt Petunia and his cousin Dudley. Dudley winced when he saw Harry, which made Harry smile inside, knowing he brought fear into his cousin. Meanwhile, Aunt Petunia just stared at Harry as if he were some foul specimen trapped in there house. Neither greeted Harry, which he expected, so he headed toward the door to go up to his room.

Harry entered his room to find it exactly as he had left it. He settled Hedwig and her cage in the corner and began unpacking his things. He was surprised the Durlseys didn’t take all his things, or maybe it was because they still remembered Sirius. As Harry unpacked, he found the photo album Ron, Ginny, and Lavender had given him. He thumbed through the photos, thinking back on each event. As he reminisced on the past, something just felt as if it was missing from his life. He had friends, a great girlfriend, and he had done many thing by the time he was sixteen that most people would never accomplish in their lifetime. Yet something felt empty, and Harry wasn’t sure what it was.

Harry placed the album away and laid down on his bed thinking over things. His life had already seen so much, so why did he feel like something was missing from it? Was it because he was stuck at the Dursleys' house? Was it because he missed his friends? Was it because he was alone? He didn’t quite know.

The whole situation put Harry in a depressed mood, thinking about why he had to be stuck with the Dursleys for the summer. Here he was, the boy who saved the wizarding world, stuck in one of the worst Muggle houses imaginable. Harry thought to himself, “you’d think after all I’ve done for others, someone help me, or get me out of this hellhole. Even my own friends won’t get me out of here. There all probably living it up while I’m stuck in this trap.”

By the time Harry was done thinking about his situation, he was fuming at his thoughts. He had thought about writing a letter to Lavender and the others, but after reflecting on what he had, that was the last thing he wanted to do. “They hadn’t tried to get me out of this place, they just watched me be sent to this place of doom,” Harry told himself.

All Harry wanted to do was go to sleep, hoping he might wake up to something better than bad memories and thoughts. As he laid down, he heard a loud crash outside. “Great, I can’t even get silence for sleep,” Harry thought to himself.

Harry got up out of his bed to see what all the commotion was about, and found a moving truck at the empty house he’d seen earlier. “Well that explains why it was empty then,” he said. “Well, hopefully they’ll keep the noise down so I can take a nap.”

Just then, the doorbell rang. Harry turned over on his side, hoping to be able to ignore the noise until he heard his uncle scream, “Get the door Potter!”

Harry grudgingly exited his room and trudged down the stairs to answer the door. “Who could it be now?” Harry thought to himself.

He grabbed the door handle, and opened the door to find himself face to face with the girl he had run into at Kings Cross Station.

“Hi!” the girl said. “My name is Hermione Granger. I’m your new neighbor.”

A/N: Yea this chapter was kind of short, but it served the purpose of introducing Hermione to the story. Another update will come soon, but even faster with more reviews!