Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crossing Paths by NimbusBoy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: I realize it’s been an ungodly amount of time since the last update. With college, friends, and lots of other things I just totally forgot about the story until a few days ago I stumbled upon it and remembered it. Hopefully, all the old readers will come back along with many new ones as well. I hope you all enjoy the new chapter, and expect many more updates to come soon, as I promise I’ll finish it this time and not make you wait another year! Thanks for reading!

Chapter 3- One Great Night

Harry froze when he saw her, realizing it was the girl he had bumped into at the Kings Cross Station earlier. Harry didn’t realize he had frozen, as he suddenly came to hearing Hermione say, “You do have a name don’t you?”

“What? Oh yea…we actually kind of met already. I accidentally knocked you over in Kings Cross Station. My name is Harry, Harry Potter.”

“Yes that was you. Well that was rather clumsy of you, but no harm done,” said Hermione.

Both just stood in the doorway silent, as Hermione had the distinct look like she was expecting Harry to offer more apologies, but she soon realized he wasn’t about to say anything.

“Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself, and also to invite you to a party I’m having this Saturday. Being new, I don’t really know anyone yet so I figured it be a good way to meet some people. Also, I expect it be fun as well.” said Hermione.

“Yea that does sound pretty cool, I’ll try and make it,” replied Harry.

“Well hopefully I’ll see you Saturday then. Bye Harry.”

“Goodbye Hermione.”

Harry wasn’t sure whether or not he’d go to Hermione’s party or not. Lavender probably wouldn’t like it, but then again it was just a party, and not some sort of date with Hermione. Besides he had just met her, though he had to admit to himself that he did find Hermione to be rather cute. However, that was nothing new, as he founds lots of girls cute. Harry really didn’t feel it was best to mention or write about this to Lavender, as it would probably just make her worry for no reason.

Harry figured the best thing to do would be for him to sleep on it. Harry was more worried about the fact that this was the first time he had been invited to a muggle party, and he wasn’t quite sure what to expect. After all, Harry really had no friends outside the magical world, and therefore he hadn’t ever been anything like it. Even the Dursley’s shut him up in his room anytime they threw a party, though Harry would’ve locked himself up if they hadn’t as the Dursley’s weren’t his idea of fun.

The best thing would be just to sleep on it and not take the decision to seriously; after all it was just a party.


Later that week, Harry awoke one night very suddenly from a particularly terrible dream. He kept having recurring dreams of being all alone in the world left with nothing, and he couldn’t explain it.

He didn’t really feel like going back to sleep, so he decided to go for a walk to the park. It was 1 A.M., so he figured the Dursley’s would be fast asleep by now. Even if they weren’t, he didn’t really care anyways what they did. He quickly put some clothes on and grabbed his wand, then exited his room and the house.

The cool summer’s night air felt great to Harry. He felt alive and free outside, as he didn’t enjoy being all cooped up inside the Dursley’s house all the time. It was the best Harry had felt since arriving, and he couldn’t help but feel liberated by the peacefulness and calmness of the night.

Harry arrived at the park and sat in one of the children’s swings, and began swinging lightly while thinking about just how much he had gone through the past year, and he smiled as he realized this was one of the most peaceful moments he had experienced in a long time. Just then however, Harry heard a rustling noise behind him, and instinctively pulled out his wand and turned quickly to find himself facing Hermione.

Harry quickly shoved his wand back into his pocket, and screwed up his face into a frantic smile and said, “Hello Hermione.”

“Oh hello Harry, what was that that in your hand a second ago?”

“Oh that was a, umm, just some stick I had found out earlier that looked interesting.” That seemed good enough, he thought to himself, but not taking any chances he quickly said, “So you’re out pretty late at night.”

Hermione grinned and replied, “I should be saying the same to you. I guess we both just like the midnight air. So what’re you doing out so late?”

“Couldn’t sleep, and bad dreams I guess too. What about you?”

“Oh I just wanted to see what the neighborhood looked like in the moonlight. I always enjoyed it back at my old house. Do you come out this late often?”

“Not really, my aunt and uncle would probably kill me if they knew I left the house as much as I did, but I’m really not too concerned with what they think. I really just enjoy coming out here to be here, it’s like an escape. Unlike my school, nobody knows me here and I can actually get a peaceful moment to myself without being questioned about my past. When I’m here it feels like it’s the most freedom I’ll ever get in my life away from everything.” After saying all this, Harry quickly realized he had said too much as Hermione was a muggle and didn’t know about Hogwarts, the magical world, or Harry’s fame. Yet Harry felt a certain comfort emitting from Hermione, a feeling he really didn’t get very often around girls, yet alone another person.

“It seems like you’ve been through a lot Harry. What happened to your parents?” asked Hermione.

“They died when I was one, before I really had any chance of knowing who they were. I’ve lived with the Dursley’s since. They aren’t exactly anything of a parental figure to me in the least, and they treat me like I’m a nasty spot on the wall that they just can’t get rid of.”

“That’s horrible that they treat you like that. I guess I never realized how fortunate I am to have parents like mine, they’re truly great. I’m sure wherever your parents are right now, they’re very proud of you Harry. Someday I’m sure you’ll find someone who will care for you as much as you care for them.” said Hermione, after which Harry could see she was blushing lightly.

“Thanks Hermione, that really means a lot for you to say that to me.” replied Harry.

Harry and Hermione just sat there, softly swinging and talking. Harry felt very comforted by Hermione, and felt fortunate to have her as a neighbor and friend. Though he admitted he’d have to be more careful about how much he said, as it was new to him having a muggle friend who wasn’t aware of his world.

After what seemed like only a few minutes, the two soon saw the morning light breaking through. “Well, I better be getting back now. My aunt and uncle will be furious if they awake and find me gone. I wouldn’t want their yelling to ruin this great night we just had, it’s really been one of the most enjoyable things for me a long time. Thanks Hermione. I guess I’ll see you later.”

“Your welcome Harry, I had a great time too. Hopefully I’ll see you this Saturday at my party. Goodbye!”

“Oh I think I’ll be able to make it,” Harry replied, after which he winked at Hermione and began walking home, leaving Hermione blushing profusely.