Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Perfect for Each Other? by Lilypudding

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns all. I own nothing. ‘Nuff said.

Sirius froze, numb disbelief washing over him. He couldn’t believe Lily Evans had just asked him out, and he didn’t know what to do. On one hand, Prongs really seemed to like Evans, and he was his best friend. On the other hand, he had never turned a girl down in his life, and he wasn’t about to start now. Avoiding James’s hurt and bewildered glare from across the room, he stared Evans straight in those mystical, bright green eyes and said in his most seductive voice, “Sure, hon. How about sometime tomorrow?”

“Uh-huh,” Lily responded in a nervous, shaking voice. “Tomorrow’s a Hogsmeade weekend. We can… you know, go to the Three Broomsticks or something.”

“Let’s meet in the common room at four tommorow afternoon, OK? See ya then, babe,” Sirius replied, remembering with a bound in his heart that not only was tomorrow a Hogsmeade weekend, but it was also the full moon. As he watched Lily fling aside her books and giggle excitedly with her friends, that overweight, always smiling blonde girl and his perky cousin Andy, he thought, “Tomorrow is gonna be fun.”

It was nearly four o‘clock in the afternoon the next day, and though Lily looked stunning, with her hair in an elegant bun, new robes, a golden necklace and dazzling makeup, she still had something left to do. She sat next to Andy on her favorite couch, and wrote in her diary : Oh my god, he said yes. Sirius Black is going out with me! Me! I’ve been waiting my whole life for this moment- my first date! It’s a day that will live in lights forever in my mind. Okay, maybe, I’m not being melodramatic. I’ve been up since 6:00 AM getting ready. Alice and Andy positively swamped me with advice, or warnings in Andy’s case. I must have changed my robes five times, and don’t even get me started about makeup. Andy even let me borrow her favorite, most expensive purse. It’s from a famous designer. She wants me to make a good impression on her cousin, I can tell. Inside, I think she really does like him but doesn’t want to admit it- it’s a family thing. Oh my god, Alice just gave me the thumbs up from the landing on the bottom of the stairs leading up to the dorms- that means he’s coming!

It was about half an hour later. Lily tried to carry herself elegantly as she strolled down the lane to the village with Sirius at her side. One of the main things she had worried about as she tried to fall asleep last night was what she was going to say to Sirius. Though she felt distinctly awkward because she had never gone on a date before, Sirius kept up a constant flow of flirty chatter. Obviously, he wasn’t new at the game of love.

“So, er, where do you want to, um, go?” Lily asked Sirius, feeling very nervous. “Do you want to go to the Three Broomsticks and, you know, have a butterbeer? Or do you want to go somewhere else?”

Sirius said, “Nah, the Three Broomsticks is always packed. I know of a better place. Have you ever been to Madam Puddifoot’s?”

Lily let Sirius lead the way to the quaint tea shop, giggling at a very funny story he was telling about Frank Longbottom, his friend Peter Pettigrew, and a mad house-elf called Dobby or something like that. When they reached the tea-shop, Lily stopped, terror-struck. The shop was decorated lacy doilies, pink bows, and frilly magenta napkins. Worse, the shop seemed completely filled with couples, and though each set had mugs of tea or coffee in front of them, none of them were drinking. Instead, most of them were holding hands, caressing each other, or passionately kissing. When she managed to find her voice, she asked, “Do you like this place?”

Sirius responded, “Hell no, I usually take girls here because they like it. The tea’s good, though, but the décor’s a little frilly for me. I like the entertainment though.”

A pang shot through Lily. Entertainment… she didn’t even want to think about it. “I agree,” she said, warily eyeing a lace doily with disgust. “It’s so frilly, it’s sickening.”

Sirius smiled. “You’re daring,” he said softly, a smile playing at the corners of his face, as he turned away from the tea shop and began to walk to Honeydukes. “I like that in a lady. You’re very daring, but then again I suppose you have to be to ask me out.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” scoffed Lily, running to catch up, desperately wishing she had listening to the Flirting 101 lesson Andy tried to give her this morning. Seeing the look of surprise flash across Sirius’s face, she hastily said, “I mean, it wasn’t like I meant to- oh, no, that’s not what I meant. When I asked you out, it sort of just, I don’t know, slipped.” After walking a few steps, she softly added, “But I’ve been wanting to ask you for a very long time.”

“Of course you have,” Sirius said cockily, grinning mischievously, sprinting ahead. “I’m irresistible.”

Lily gently punched him on the arm, while giggling. “Well,” she thought, “he is a bit of a ham, but he is definitely worth it.”

Sirius made a face, and grabbed Lily’s small, petite hand with his large and warm one, and led her into the candy shop. A firework seemed to explode in her chest as Sirius’s hand closed over hers. Her entire body tensed as her heart pounded painfully, and her date noticed. “What’s the matter?” he asked, all joking forgotten.

“Nothing,” Lily responded, grabbing a piece of fudge from a sample tray. The hand Sirius was holding onto was tingling. “Everything is just perfect, Sirius. Try some fudge, it’s excellent.”

“This is your first time doing this sort of thing, right?” Sirius asked, casually but gently putting a muscular arm around her waist. He was drawing awfully close. Lily’s heart was beating so furiously she thought it was going to burst. She fell into the depths of his dark eyes, and hardly noticed what she was doing. He was coming closer, closer… An inch away from Lily’s face, Sirius suddenly drew back and they fell apart. Lily wondered for a heart-stopping second if Sirius didn’t like her, but then she saw an oily-haired, greasy-skinned teenager gaping at them. “Not again,” thought Lily wearily.

“Well, look who it is,” said Sirius tauntingly. “Snivellus.”

Lily felt as if something was closing in on her, strangling her. She hated to see anyone tease Severus “Snivellus” Snape, James’s arch-enemy, but if she stood up for the Slytherin boy, Sirius would hate her. Wishing more than anything that she was invisible, she turned away and examined the display of Cockroach Clusters behind her. Still, she could hear every word of Sirius’s and Severus’s argument.

“What would Potter do if he found out that you were snogging Evans?” Severus asked, cruelly.

Lily gasped. “What would James do?” she wondered. She vaguely asked herself what she would do if she found out Alice had gone on a date with the guy she liked, but stopped because thinking like that made her uncomfortable, for some reason.

“Don’t you dare tell him!” Sirius said, in a voice more angry than Lily had ever heard him. Lily spun around, against her better judgment, just in time to see Sirius hit Snape with a curse that forced him upside down. Hanging by his foot, Snape shot a spell at Sirius but missed, and the jet of red light hit a container of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans instead. Lily screamed as candy shot everywhere. Though the other students in the shop began to cheer for Sirius, Lily grabbed him by the arm and marched him out of the shop, leaving Snape hanging in midair.

“Lily, why did you stop me? He was being obnoxious, Lily, so why can’t I-,” stuttered Sirius, though he fell silent at the look on Lily’s face.

Lily tried to force herself to remain calm. Taking a deep breath, she said, shaking with compressed rage, “Sirius Black, you are probably the most handsome guy I know, but if you think cursing Slytherins will impress me, think again.”

Sirius quailed slightly under the glare she gave him. “Take it easy, Evans,” he said softly. “God, I was right,” he added on an afterthought. “You are daring.”

Lily drew herself to her full height. Her eyes flashing, she said, coolly, “Excuse me. What do you mean by ‘daring‘?”

“I mean…um, uh, Wormtail, how nice to see you!” responded Sirius, hastily and brightly. Lily spun around rapidly, and sure enough, a short, watery-eyes, overweight blond boy walked down the street, fidgeting with his robes. “Wait a moment, Lily,” Sirius said, and hurried to talk with his friend Peter, whom he called Wormtail, for some odd reason.

Lily wandered down the street, looking in all the shop windows. As she wandered closer to where the two boys where conversing, she distinctly heard Sirius say, “So then, Snivelly came in and caused a scene, of course.”

“What did you do?” Peter asked in a high, squeaky voice.

“I cursed him,” Sirius said, “or at least I tried to. Evans didn’t really let me.” He gave Peter a deep look, and continued, “Don’t worry about him, Wormtail. Tonight’s the full moon. Yesterday, I told Snivellus how to, you know, get into the secret place. If all goes according to plan, he’ll follow Moony and it should be quite a show.” With a bitter smile, he significantly drew his finger across his neck.

Lily gasped as waves of horror rolled over her. Suddenly, Sirius didn’t seem too handsome anymore. She had a shrewd feeling she knew what her date was planning, and she didn’t like the sound of it at all. Ever since they were partners in Astronomy in third year, Lily had thought that Sirius’s other best friend, Remus Lupin, who was nick-named Moony, was a werewolf. If Snape followed Remus down to wherever he transformed, he would be attacked by a vicious monster. Lily didn’t want to interfere, but if she didn’t, there was a good chance Severus Snape would be attacked by a werewolf and killed.

A/n- Sorry it was so fluffy, the next chappie will be more Sirius- er, serious.
And thanks to my amazing betas and friends, MalfoysMistress and SnufflesSnogger.
Sorry for the wait, next time I'll be much better at this and it won't be rejected as many times. Third chapter coming soon! You can preview it at www.freewebs.com/lupinslover!
And thanks to my wonderful mod for helping me figure out why it was rejected. Note to self: Severus has one "r" in it. *bangs head against book*