Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Dialogues of Harry Potter by William of Baskerville

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Harry and the Young Sorcerer’s Question
By Zach L. Fall 2005



One snowy day in Gryffindor tower, Harry Potter was studying from his intro to psychology book. Much like the snow outside during this dreadfully depressing time of year, a question was starting to build up in the back of Harry’s mind. As he continued to read on in the section about how we value our education, Harry found it harder and harder to concentrate. He had to know the answer to his question before he could possibly continue any farther. So, he turned to his most trusted friend, Ron.


Harry: Hey Ron, you doing anything right now?

Ron: Nope, what’s up Harry?

Harry: I was just thinking, how do you know when you have an education?

Ron: Mum and Dad would tell you that only you know that answer. I bet if you ask Hermoine though, she could help you. She always knows what Mum and Dad mean when they say stuff like that.

Harry: Do you know where she went? I haven’t seen her today yet.

Ron: Probably in the library, she spends all of her other free time with her nose buried in the books there.

After his conversation with Ron, Harry journeys down to the library. He returns Hogwarts: A History, a book he read last week, and starts his search for Hermoine. After about ten minutes, Harry finally spots her hunched over a book in the back corner of the library. Engrossed in her book, entitled Creepy Creatures Common in Caves by G. Lockhart, she does not even notice someone has walked up.


Harry: Hey Hermoine.

Hermoine: AAAHH!!

Harry: Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.

Hermoine: It’s ok, I just didn’t see you there. What do you want?

Harry: I was just reading for psychology and started wondering how you know when you have an education? Ron didn’t know and told me to ask you.

Hermoine: Well Harry, I suppose you'll be able to put to use everything we've been taught here at Hogwarts, and accept the consequences of your actions. That's when you know when you have an education.

Harry: Oh, thanks. I didn’t really think it could have been that simple. See you later.

Hermoine: The simplest things in life are usually the right ones! Bye!


Still not satisfied with Hermione’s answer, Harry seeks out the one person left who he thinks can help him, Dumbledore. Harry finds Dumbledore as he is entering his office. Professor Dumbledore invites Harry to his office, where he finishes reading over some very old scrolls.

Harry: Professor Dumbledore, how do you know when you have an education? Hermoine thinks that when I can use what I've learned here, I'll know I have an education.

Dumbledore: Ah, Miss Granger is an exceptional student, Harry. However, no one can tell you when you have acquired an education. The will to learn is a gift, Harry, use it to the best of your ability.

Harry: But how do I know when I have completed it if I don’t know what it is?
Dumbledore: Well, let us search for that answer together, Harry. Tell me, what do you think education is?

Harry: I think it is when you are smart about a lot of things, and when you know what the right thing to do is.

Dumbledore: Well then, seems you already have a pretty good idea of what education is. Would you say then, based on your belief of what education is, that people who do the right thing all the time are well educated?

Harry: Yes, I suppose that would be a good assumption.

Dumbledore: But then would you say that misters Fred and George Weasley are educated? Are they not top in their class and use their abilities originally? I would think that they are very well educated.

Harry: Well, Professor, I guess I would have to agree with that too.
Dumbledore: Now think of Voldemort. He was said to be one of the most powerful wizards ever. He was a very well educated man as well was he not? But he didn’t always do the right thing did he?
Harry: Voldemort killed my parents.
Dumbledore: Yes Harry, it was a tragedy, what happened to Lily and James. But, we can conclude that to be educated does not necessarily mean you do the right thing all the time. So education is just the amount of knowledge you possess.

Harry: I guess so... but Professor Dumbledore, how do we know when we can be called educated?

Dumbledore: Well what do you think is enough?

Harry: Well what about OWLs? If you get "outstanding" on the exams does that mean you're educated?

Dumbledore: Grades are susceptible to outside influences. Even Hermione could have a bad day and get an "exceeds expectations" on an OWL. Would you be willing to say that she isn't educated?

Harry: That is true, so I guess you can't really base it on how many "outstanding" OWLs or NEWTs you get.

Dumbledore: Well then, Harry, how can anyone devise a way to test if you are educated in a subject without using a grading system?

Harry: I don’t know... there can't be a way...

Dumbledore: Well then we are right where we started. How do you know when you are educated?

Harry: I don't think... maybe it cannot be measured?

Dumbledore: How do you mean, young Harry?

Harry: I think, Professor, that maybe, well, maybe the only way to know we are educated is to know our selves. A person can't tell you if you are educated, because they do not know what you are capable of. And it can't be tested, because everyone is different! You can't compare two people and know if they are educated, because you don't know what they know, what they are capable of doing, unless you are inside their minds. But I will know! I will know when I'm educated, and only I will be able to tell.

Dumbledore: Exactly right my boy. Only you can know when you are educated. It is something you find inside yourself. Only you know when you have satisfied your quest for knowledge. And now, Harry, you had better get to bed. I daresay you'll need your sleep if you plan on winning the Quidditch Cup for Gryffindor this year. Would you like a Chocolate Frog, Harry?

Harry: Yes, thank you Professor Dumbledore. Good night.



Bibliography

Plato. Meno. 2nd ed. Indianapolis, Ind.: Hackett Publishing Co., Inc, 1981.
Rowling, J. R. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1999.
Rowling, J. R. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. New York: Scholastic Inc, 2003.
Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1997.
Rowling, J. R. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. New York: Scholastic Inc, 1999.