Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Morning Proposals by wumpie

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Bow down to me; I am JKR, your god!! (HEH, HEH, HEH, suckers!)

Author’s note: This remains, faithfully, Untitled. (Which actually is a title, but oh well.) I have been sick for three days now and have been chugging out one-shots faster than Fred and George can hit Bludgers. Song is Josh Kelly’s Amazing. Have fun and drop me a line if you like. Cheers.

You paint a picture on the wall
‘Cause you got a lot to tell me
But you don’t think you can say it better
Oh baby
You're bringing up times I can’t recall
I’m sure they made your point
But I just can’t seem to remember
Yeah


James Potter woke up, and, somehow, he knew. He didn’t know why he knew; maybe because of the sun shining on him, or the grandfather clock wishing him a good morning, or because of the beautiful redhead who had fallen asleep next to him and was breathing lightly on his chest. It was a typical morning in Potter Manor, Godric’s Hollow, but James just knew that today would be the day.

He was going to ask Lily Evans to marry him.

And I know you got the feelin’
And I can’t say I’m agreein’
With your topic of conversation
So just listen to the reasons
And the hints that I’ve been givin’
To And I know you got the feelin’
And I can’t say I’m agreein’
With your topic of conversation


Now, he also knew that this wouldn’t be an easy task: Lily wasn’t the easiest person to please. He would have to plan it out properly, with flowers and chocolate and a candlelit dinner…he would give her the most perfect, clichéd proposal in the history of proposals. Maybe he could even convince Sirius to play some piano, or Remus to cook Italian… whatever it took, he would make it happen. Lily Evans would not go to sleep that February night an unengaged woman. James was going to make sure of it.

But how to actually propose? Candles and chocolate were great to make her night special, but when should he go down on one knee? When they were alone? In the middle of dinner? In a crowded street, so she couldn’t possibly say no without being mortally embarrassed? Did girls like guys going down on one knee? Was it cool now to just pop the question out of nowhere? So many things to consider! Why wasn’t there a handbook, or something?

So come on let me sing
I said Baby you’re amazing
I want to let you see

You are everything and more to me
I will let you be
I will I will



James smiled and reached over to his wand, and summoned a small black box. At least he had the ring ready. In fact, he had had the ring ready for two whole years, trying to get the guts to ask the most important question of his life. And that courage had come today, out of the blue, like a thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

James had to admit that she was beautiful. Brazen, bold and beautiful, she was all he had ever wanted. She was so simple, so perfect…she was his reason for being, his very soul. He would die to save her, only because he knew he couldn’t live without her. That was all.

Cause I saw you walkin’ down the hall
And I had a lot to tell you
But I didn’t think you could say it better
Oh baby
You’re good at makin’ me feel so small
And I know you made your point
But I just don’t want to remember yeah

Lily was waking. She stirred and turned slightly, and James looked down at her lovingly. Soon she would be awake, and look up at him with those soulful eyes, eyes that he couldn’t resist, couldn’t lie to, that looked upon him with honesty and perfection and love. Eyes that were burned into his brain, like Quidditch tactics and the Slytherin Common Room. Her eyelids fluttered. James’ heart skipped. And, finally, those circles of green were exposed to the world. Their owner smiled up at James, and he knew.

No need for dinner, or chocolates, or candles or Sirius and a piano. All they ever needed was here, between them, painted on their skin, written on their faces, in the fabrics of their souls. Why was it that he was lost for words every morning, upon looking at the angel in his arms? Why was it that this woman, this obsession was what kept him alive?

Because he loved her. So very, very much.

And that was all they needed.

So come on let me sing
I said Baby you’re amazing
I want to let you see
You are everything and more to me
I will let you be
I will I will

“Marry me,” He whispered. She stared up at him.

“What?” she half-shouted. It was quite a big ask, first thing in the morning. James smiled and kissed Lily’s nose.

“Marry me. Make me the happiest man in the world. Let me wake up and see you and think: she’s mine. And nobody can take her away from me, because I love her and she’s mine. Marry me.” He finished simply. Lily smiled and, before he could stop it, she began to cry. James waited for the fear of rejection to sink in, but nothing came.

‘Cause I’m dancin’ around
And you will complain
I’m takin’ my time
To make sure you stay
I would give my life to make it okay
Yeah
So come on let me sing
I said Baby you’re amazing
I want to let you see

“Yes,” Lily whispered, kissing him. James grinned and handed her the box.

“I love you,” he murmured as she opened the velvet container to reveal the most beautiful ring Lily had ever seen. It was silver, with a diamond whorl on the top that flared down the sides and, at the base of ring, twisted and curved the letters: My angel. Lily slipped it on and hugged James tighter.

“I love you too.”

I said Baby you’re amazing
I want to let you see

You are everything and more to me
I will let you be
I will I will

James held his fiancé in his arms and looked at his antique grandfather clock. It was a pretty old thing, with engravings all over, of fairies and dragons and angels singing, but none as beautiful as his angel, his love, his Lily.

And when James Potter went to sleep that night, with the moon casting shadows in his room and the love of his life wrapped around him, he knew. He didn’t know why he knew, but he did.

Life didn’t get much better than this.

Baby, you’re amazing…

******************************************************************
Somewhere outside, perched on a broomstick, Sirius Black smiled and pocketed a small vial of Felix Felicis, zooming away not a moment later.