Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From Abomination to Adoration by grape_2010

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 5: Charlie’s Demeanor

Lily and Remus were able to go to class the following Monday. Lucky for Lily, besides the new essay in Transfiguration, she had done all of her homework before hand.

She hadn’t dwelled on the near kiss with James. It didn’t happen, so why worry about it? But she couldn’t help but think, had he meant to kiss her? Maybe he had just lost balance while sitting on the floor, who knows?

Charlie’s change in behavior was really starting to get to Lily. It hadn’t subsided, if anything, it had become worse. Lily just couldn’t figure out what would have caused this, it was so very unlike the Charlie she knew.

Tuesday night, as they were getting ready for bed, Lily had reached the point where she had to press it out of her friend.

Charlie was getting under the covers and snuggling in when Lily came and sat on her bed. Not on the edge, but directly in the middle. Charlie looked at her curiously.

Lily leapt to the point. “Char, what’s the matter? You’re not yourself, and it’s creeping me out. You can tell me anything, you know that.”

Charlie sighed and looked out the window that was right next to her bed. After a moment, she reached out and drew her crimson bed hangings together, then cast a silencing charm around the bed. Gazing down at her hands, she started to speak quietly, almost as if talking to herself.

“There’s this guy.” She sighed while Lily stared at her blankly. That’s it? How could such a petty thing such as a boy change Charlie’s moods so drastically?

Charlie continued. “He’s in Hufflepuff. Blonde hair, broad shoulders. Eyes the color of the sky on a clear, sunny summer morning. He doesn’t talk much in classes; he’s attentive and only speaks when spoken to usually. He knows his manners, and respects the ladies. And every time I’m around him, I get all shaky; my palms start to sweat, and I can’t string ‘Hi’ and ‘How are you?’ into once sentence without feeling sick to my stomach.” While Charlie said this, her face started out with a wistful look, which slowly molded into frustration.

Lily remembered the first time she had crush on a boy here at Hogwarts. In fact, it had been on James Potter. He had been so tiny back then, just before adolescence when his voice was beginning to deepen and squeaked every once in a while. He had been short, scrawny, and nearly drowned in all of the hair that covered his head. She didn’t know what it had been, but he just seemed so dreamy.

Now, thanks to blessed Quidditch, he’s filled out. He’s grown to a height of about six-two, nearly seven inches taller than Lily. The hopelessly untidy black hair that used to swallow him whole now fits him so perfectly it just wouldn’t work on anyone else the same way. Now that she thought about it, it’s probably a Potter male signature. His nose was a little long, but hardly noticeable at a glance. His skin had tanned, his chin now gets five o’clock shadow.

But what really finished the job were his eyes and his slow, sexy smile. They were a brilliant combination. Without words, he could say so much, offer so much. From a distance, those eyes are just a plain old brown. But if you get close enough, they’re a yellowish brown, almost gold, with specs of bright green encircled in a rim of a dark muddy green. They twinkled in merriment and satisfaction whenever one of the Marauder’s pranks would pull threw flawlessly. They used to harden to stone, cold, unbreakable stone whenever he looked at Lily. On the contrary, they now warm in admiration whenever he merely glimpses her, saving the animosity for the Slytherins.

And that smile! She could stare at that grin for hours on end. It showed a kind of careless ease, like he could barely put any effort into a challenge and come out on top. He has an aura of natural cockiness that holds its own appeal.

Any girl, young or old, could see that James was a hunk.

But if he was just a hunk, then why did she get this fluttering feeling around her heart when she thought of him? After all, he was just a friend.

A friend that had nearly kissed her.

Coming back from Mars, Lily said, “Charlie, I don’t think you’ve ever had a crush on someone before. This could be interesting, very interesting. Let’s see… Isn’t his name Kalvin? Kalvin Meeks?”

Charlie’s tan cheeks glowed a light shade of pink. “Yeah.”

Lily nodded once shortly. “Well, it’s settled then. Tomorrow at breakfast you’ll go talk to him.”

A strangled sound escaped Charlie. “It’s not that easy!”

“Isn’t it?”

“No! Not when you’re ready to puke at the sight of him!”

Lily lifted an eyebrow and tried to keep from bursting into laughter. “Char, it doesn’t sound like he attracts you, it sounds like he repulses you.”

“Well, it’s not a bad puke. It’s a good puke.”

“I don’t think there is a such thing as a ‘good’ puke.”

The brunette sighed exasperatedly. “You know what I mean!”

“No, sorry, I don’t.”

“Oh, just shut up and tell me what I’m going to do, Miss Smarty-Pants.”


The next morning at breakfast, Lily watched as a pink-cheeked Charlie talked to Kalvin at the Hufflepuff table. Before going to bed, Lily had given Charlie some tips on how keep her cool around the guys. Lily didn’t have much experience in the boyfriend department, but she’d had enough.

After five minutes, Charlie practically floated over to her seat, beaming like she was the sun itself. She stared down at her plate a moment as if she was in shock, but before Lily could do ask, she burst, “He talked to me! He talked to me! And he smiled!”

James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter stared at her like she needed to go see Madam Pomfrey. Lily smiled and said, “You’ll have him wrapped around your pretty little pinky finger soon enough.”

Charlie quietly squealed like a piglet and threw her arms around Lily in a close embrace. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“Who’s ‘he’?” Sirius demanded from across the table. All of the boys were still looking at Charlie as if she had gone completely insane.

Ignoring them, Lily asked Charlie, “Well, what did he say? Does he like you? Did he ask you out? What’s going on?”

“I’d like to know that, too!” piped Sirius. He ducked his head and continued eating silently when Lily sent him an annoyed glare that said clearly, shut up!

Answering Lily’s questions, Charlie said, “It was just the normal, ‘Hey, how’s it going?’ But he did ask me to take a walk with him Friday after dinner. Other than that, he just talked about Quidditch. Which I don’t mind, really, Quidditch is okay. I’m just not for playing it.”

James perked up. “That’s reminds me, Lily, that we have practice tonight. After dinner to 9.”

“Okay, I’ll make sure everyone remembers.”

He paused and looked at her with admiration only he knew the depths of. “Of course you will.”

Who is he?” Sirius wanted to know again.

“Kalvin Meeks,” the two girls answered in unison.

“Meeks? The Hufflepuff chaser? Kind of a drab, isn’t he?” he commented absently, waving off the matter as he refilled his plate with pancakes, and then drenched them in maple syrup.

Lily could feel the heat radiating off Charlie as her friend narrowed her eyes at the Marauder. Deciding to save Sirius a trip to the Hospital Wing, she deliberately diverted Charlie’s attention away from him.

“So, do you think he’ll ask you to the Christmas Hogsmeade weekend?”

Charlie turned back to the redhead and gave a sheepish lift of the shoulder. “I don’t know what he has in mind. Besides, he just talked to me today. I” Hey, speak of the devil.“

“Talking about me were you?”

Lily turned around to see the Hufflepuff in question. Charlie hadn’t been exaggerating. He was very good-looking. Sunny, wavy hair, bright blue eyes, at least six-four. As he and Charlie flirted back and forth, he smiled and a dimple per cheek appeared. He didn’t seem as shy as Charlie had led on.

Lily found herself lifting an eyebrow, scanning him over. If Charlie hadn’t developed a liking for him, she would have willingly given it a shot. But all in all, she approved.

The innuendos ended with Kal asking to walk Charlie to her first class since it was on the way to his. As they walked out of the Great Hall together, Lily watched the very compact male backside.

“Enjoying the view?” Sirius asked, highly amused, jolting Lily back to earth. When she blushed a deep red and put on the ‘dear in the headlights’ look, he snorted. “I didn’t think I’d see the day Lily Evans was seriously checking out some guy.” The other three boys snickered.

Play it cool. You’re all alone. Slap it in his face. “Just because I’m not as active in relationships as you, Black, doesn’t mean I’m blind. I admire the scenery from time to time.” She chuckled at the look of scandal on their faces.

Taking a sip of pumpkin juice, she gazed at the big oak doors Charlie and Kal had just exited through. “The early stages of love,” she quietly murmured.

She didn’t realize James had heard, or noticed the pained look he gave her.


The rest of the week pasted by quickly. Charlie couldn’t wait for Friday. She kept thanking Lily profusely for helping her gather her Gryffindor courage. Lily was as anxious as her friend. Charlie had never been one to really care about boys. Now that she did, Lily wanted to encourage it as much as she could. Besides, there must have been something special about Kal to draw Charlie’s eyes.

At dinner Friday night, Charlie couldn’t get an appetite. Lily hefted some spaghetti onto her plate.

“Charlie, you need to eat something. Otherwise your stomach will be rumbling throughout the whole night.” Lily said.

“If I eat something, I’ll be so nervous I’ll vomit all night.” Charlie countered.

“Hey, some of us are trying to eat here,” Sirius snapped.

“Oh, hush,” Lily said to him. Turning back to Charlie, “Five bites, that’s all you need.”

“That’s five bites too many.”

“Oh, quit being so stubborn and eat!”

“Quit being so stubborn and drop it!”

Lily growled deep in her throat and narrowed her eyes. Then she suddenly perked up and greeted brightly, “Hey, Kalvin!”

Charlie whirled around in her seat. A sparkle came to her eyes when she saw Kalvin walk up to her.

“Hey, Lily. You looked downright murderous a minute go. Something up?” Kal replied casually.

Lily gave a toothy grin. “Oh, no, it’s fine. Here to steal my best friend away from me?”

“If she’s ready.” He turned his gaze to Charlie, who had been staring at him with her mouth open a bit. She immediately snapped out of whatever daze she was in and assured, “Ready.”

Kal silently held out his arm to her. She stood and, placing her hand on the inside of his elbow, mouthed at Lily, ‘Wait for me.’ Lily nodded and the couple left the Hall.

Turning back to her spaghetti, she sighed and wiped a fake tear off her cheek. “I’m losing her.” The Marauders chuckled.

Later that night, Lily did as she promised. She was lying on her stomach in front of the fire reading her book, awaiting Charlie’s return. The Marauders had plopped down in armchairs around her, insisting they’d wait for Charlie, too.

Lily glanced up as she turned a page when the portrait hole opened. She instantly slammed her book shut and called, “Charlie! Here!” The brunette hurried over and imitated Lily’s position. “Well?” She thought she would burst with anticipation.

Charlie exploded with wild giggles as if she’d been keeping them in check all night long. When she’d settle down a bit and was able to breath, she spoke in excited undertones so only Lily and the Marauders could hear. Lily found herself slightly taken aback by the girly tone her best friend now possessed that was completely uncharacteristic for her. “Oh, it was so romantic, Lily! We strolled in the moonlight around the lake as it shone like a mirror. We talked about our families, memories, school. Just the little things.” She sucked in a breath. “Then, out of nowhere, he conjures a rose and says, ‘A beautiful flower for a beautiful lady.’” She waved a hand, “I know, I know, so unoriginal, but it’s the thought that counts, right? Next thing I know…” Her eyes glazed over as she stared off into the distance. “He’s kissing me.” She sighed with a goofy grin on her face. “My first kiss.”

Sirius made a choking sound and looked at Charlie incredulously. “Your first kiss?” he sputtered.

She sniffed indignantly. “Yes. I don’t go handing them out to passers-by like some people do.” She shot him an accusing glare. Then her features clouded over thoughtfully. “Lily…” She fixed her eyes on the redhead that had dived back into her book. “I just realized you’ve never told me about your first kiss.”

Lily didn’t see James straighten slightly as he snapped to full attention when she gave Charlie a surprised look. “You never asked.”

“Now I am.”

“Well… There’s not much to tell.”

“When was it? How old were you?”

Lily looked away and narrowed her eyes to concentrate on the memory. “Winter before first year. I had just turned eleven.” Charlie leaned her head forward as indication to go on. “It was kind of cute, really. It was over our Christmas break from school. He was my neighbor from a couple houses down.” The corners of her lips lifted fondly. “Michael Plander. I had the biggest crush on him.

“Enjoying the holiday, Mike?” eleven-year-old Lily asked as she slowly walked down the sidewalk, Mike next to her. She kept her mitten-covered hand loose at her side incase he wanted to hold it. It was a chilling fifteen degrees, and she fought to keep her body from shaking too obviously.

“Yeah, I can’t wait for Christmas,” he replied in a high voice. “Everyone in our family is coming over to my house. Uncle Ray, too. He tells funny jokes. Mom pretends she doesn’t like them.” He cast a sidelong glance at his crush. “He’s really cool. What are you doing for Christmas?”

“My mum and dad are only children so I don’t have any uncles or aunts. But my grandpa Joe and grandma Rose always give me a box of peppermints. And grandpa Henry and grandma Penny fly in from the states. Texas. There’s not many people, but it’s really fun.”

Mike nodded and shot her another glance, catching her eye. Both hastily looked away as their cheeks burned red not entirely because of the cold.

Abruptly, Mike stopped short and sheepishly turned to Lily, keeping his eyes on the ground and his hands stuffed in his pockets. “I… I like you a lot, Lily. I’ve liked you for a long time.” His face burned from the tips of his ears to the back of his neck. He cautiously lifted his black eyes to her emerald ones.

Biting her lip, it was her turn to stare fixedly at the ground. She swallowed hard before saying, “I like you too, Michael.” She could see her cloud of breath in the air and wondered if her breath smelled bad.

After a brief hesitation, Mike took a step forward so that their bulky coats were touching. Licking his lips anxiously, he bent his head down, causing hers to rise. Sucking in a deep breath, he jerkily leaned forward after Lily closed her eyes and hesitantly pecked at her lips. It was a quick brush. Lily opened her eyes and gave a grin that twitched nervously. Somehow, seeing her nerves gave him confidence, and he closed his eyes and leaned forward again, this time meeting her lips softly yet firmly.

Lily didn’t dare open her mouth. She’d seen Petunia snog some of her boyfriends with her mouth wide open and her tongue slashing around stupidly. She didn’t want him to be disgusted, so she kept her lips puckered tightly together.

She couldn’t believe she was kissing
Michael Plander! He was the cutest boy in her class.
He has long, wavy black hair that shined blue in the light, and was tall for his age. Wait until she tells Melony! Oh, she’ll be so jealous.

Unhurriedly, Mike pulled away. He studied her flushed face while a slow smile took over his features. He was so proud. He had just kissed the prettiest girl he’d ever seen. He couldn’t wait to see what Tim will say!

In a comfortable silence, the two continued on their stroll, their mitten-clad hands linked.


“Ah,” Charlie gushed. “That’s so adorable!”

Lily just grinned and turned her head to gaze thoughtfully into the fire. She wondered where Michael was at this moment. Maybe she’d check up on him if and when she goes back to his world.