Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From Abomination to Adoration by grape_2010

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 8: Their Aura

In baggy slacks and sweater that had had to be rolled up some, Lily tied her hair into a ponytail as she explored the second floor of James’s house. It was neither a huge mansion nor a tiny cottage, but it was large enough to have six bedrooms upstairs, each with an adjoining bathroom.

There were three doors on each side of the hall. Lily softly padded in her socks to the end of the hall, opened the door, and peeked in. Swirls of gray and navy could be scarcely made out under the many posters of famous Quidditch teams and beautiful witches with generous attributes. Feeling an uncomfortable twinge of self-consciousness, she noted clothes strewn in unpredictable places, including a pair of male underwear half hanging out of drawer in the dresser. The bedclothes were all over the place, as well as sweet wrappers. Quite obviously, this was Sirius’s room.

The room across the hall was in pale orange and pastel yellow. Not exactly being masculine colors, she figured right from the off that it was the room Peter normally stayed in. It was clean and kept, with no personal belongs anywhere. This must mean Peter wasn’t even here.

The room next to that was done in a mixture of tans, peaches, and soft blues. Not being able to picture James in this room, Lily guessed it to be Remus’s. There was a quill, ink, and parchment on the desk, a considerable stack of books on the nightstand, and, except for the occasional sweet wrapper, it was tidy.

Across the hall was a room that she instantly recognized. Grinning, she saw that James kept things in an organized mess somewhere between Remus’s and Sirius’s styles. No undergarments decorated the floor, but some other clothes did. The rubbish bin was overflowing with sweets’ wrappers. Books littered the floor, some open, others not. There was the occasional broken quill, and only Quidditch posters hung on the black and blue walls. She did notice though, a rather recent picture of her was on his nightstand next to one with the Marauders, Charlie, and herself. She smiled fondly at them.

The room next to his only took one peek for Lily to back out of quickly. It was Mr. and Mrs. Potters’ room, and she knew it would have been extremely rude to invade their privacy. The last room, across from the parents’, was hers, so she decided to descend to breakfast. On the walls that lined the stairs were pictures of James, one from each year. There were others that she assumed included friends and family members.

Just before she turned into the kitchen, she stopped and only peeked around the doorway. Charlie was sitting at the table with her fingers pressed into her eyes; Mr. and Mrs. Potter were talking somberly with Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore; James was telling Remus and Sirius something, and Sirius had a stunned grin on his face, Remus a knowing one. Breakfast consisted of bacon, eggs, muffins, toast, smoked ham, tea, pumpkin juice, and fruit. Taking a deep breath, Lily walked in.

Both professors and the elderly couple stopped talking and turned to face her. Mrs. Potter was short and somewhat round, had red hair and James’s hazel eyes. She came forward, grasped Lily’s hand and said, “Dear, I’m Justine Potter, James’s mum, but you can call me Tina.” She put her arm around Lily’s waist and turned, gesturing to Mr. Potter. He had untidy black hair that was flecked with silver, and bright electric blue eyes. His hand was firmly gentle when he grasped hers. “My husband, Seth Potter.”

Lily nodded to the both of them with a polite smile curving her lips. “It’s a pleasure to meet the two of you.”

Tina pushed her down in a chair next to Charlie. “Sit, I’ll fix you a plate.”

As she bustled around, Lily leaned over and embraced Charlie. “I’m sorry, Char. I was out of sorts earlier. I’m glad you’re here.”

Charlie pulled back. “Lily, you have nothing to be sorry for. You’ve been through Hell; you’re entitled to be a bit bitchy.”

Lily smiled and started eating when Tina placed the full plate in front of her. “You’re handling this well, if I do say so myself,” she commented. She sat down and took the cup of tea her husband offered her.

Lily shrugged. “I’ve already had my cry for the morning. Lord knows I’m not done yet.”

Professor Dumbledore stepped forward and placed a copy of the Daily Prophet in front of her. On the cover was a picture of her flaming house, the Dark Mark floating above it in the sky. She dropped her fork and grabbed it.

Mysterious Motives

On the night of December 24th, 1977, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named attacked once more. A Muggle family of four had resided in the house in the picture above. Mr. Mark Nathaniel Evans, 45, Mrs. Margaret Elizabeth Harrington-Evans, 41, Miss Petunia Mae Evans, 21, Miss Lilliana Brielle Evans, 17. Miss Lily Evans is a Muggleborn witch whom is currently attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Mr. and Mrs. Evans were found amongst the rubble, both dead. It is assumed the Killing Curse was the cause, but it is yet to be confirmed. Miss Lily Evans had been home at the time of the attack as well, and was last seen being carried off by Mr. James Potter when our reporters arrived at the scene. We have yet to hear her statement at the present time.

It took an hour for Ministry officials to obliviate all the memories of the neighbors that had been awakened by the commotion and had looked out there windows curiously. This quote came from a Muggle that wished to remain anonymous, before he or she had had his or her mind obliviated.

“I was reading in bed when I heard shouting from across the street at the Evans’ home. I got up and looked out the window. The house was on fire, lighting the area like day. The most frightening creature I’d ever seen was holding the youngest girl, Lily. It had red eyes, and skin so white it matched my nightdress. He was holding a stick in her throat. There was a group of figures dressed in black robes and skeleton masks behind it, and in front of them another group of people that looked terribly worried. I got scared and woke my husband, and we went to the front door, but by the time we got there and looked out, it was over.”

Just as the Ministry officials were finishing up, Miss Petunia Evans arrived with her current boyfriend, Mr. Vernon Dursley. She rushed to ask what had happened, and stated that she had been out on date with Mr. Dursley when the attack had taken place. She went home with Mr. Dursley.

We all know that You-Know-Who targets anyone that isn’t of pureblood lineage. But Ministry officials have revealed that this was no random attack. What actually happened that night? And why was that specific Muggle family targeted, besides having been Muggles? Could it have something to do with Miss Lily Evans, other than the fact she’s Muggleborn?

Going with that theory, we investigated Miss Lily Evans’s record. She has had no charges against her since being introduced to the Wizarding World at age eleven. Although, her grades at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are exceptionally high. She’d achieved eleven O’s on her Ordinary Wizarding Level tests, and had been given the position as a Gryffindor prefect for both her fifth and sixth years at school, and this year was named Head Girl.

Even though she’s a very bright student for a Muggleborn, what would be so special about Miss Lily Evans? Well, we hope to find out.


“One of the followers must have gone back later to put the Mark in the sky,” Charlie guessed.

“Petunia…” was the first thing that Lily said. She pressed her fingers to her eyes. “It sounds stupid now, but I was hoping I’d be the first to speak with her about all this.” She looked at the picture again. Her eyebrows furrowed. “But why is my attack so significant?”

“They know something’s fishy about this one,” James answered from behind her, where he’d come to stand to read over her shoulder. “They don’t think Voldemort had just decided to play pin-the-tale-on-the-dragon on a map, and just so happened to land on your house. They’ve accused you of being the reason, which probably isn’t far off, because you’re the only one in your family with magic in your blood.” He started rubbing the tension in her shoulders as he considered. “Before we arrived last night,” he started slowly, “did Voldemort say anything to you?”

Lily closed her eyes and relaxed under his hands as she thought back.

“Leave the prodigy to me,” a high, hissing voice drawled.

“You’ve been a real burden upon me, but now, that will come to an end, girl,” he forewarned.

“Dumbledore,” Voldemort spat, “Do not call me by that disgraceful name. My name is Lord Voldemort. The Mudblood is in my way, I must dispose of her.”

In a split second, there was a ‘pop’, Dumbledore shouted, “Lily!” and Lily was overtaken with pain. It was everywhere. She was determined not to give Voldemort the satisfaction of hearing her scream. She felt the pain get worse as Voldemort got frustrated with her lack of wailing.


“He didn’t arrive right away; his toy soldiers did. But when he did come, he called me a prodigy. Now, in a completely non-arrogant way, I know I’m smart, but I don’t consider myself to have exceptional talent. He said I was a burden to him, and he said that he’d come to get rid of me.” She bit her lip and hesitated before saying the next part. “And… when he had the Cruciatus Curse on me, and I didn’t scream, I think he got angry with me, probably because I was still showing control over my actions.”

James immediately whipped her chair around, knelt to eye level with her, and took her hands in distress. “The Cruciatus Curse? By Voldemort?” Lily looked down and nodded sheepishly. He hauled her to her feet and gathered her in his arms tightly. “Why didn’t you say something?” He took her face in his hands and examined her face. “Are you all right?”

Lily encircled his wrists with her hands and said, “I’m fine, James. I slept most of it off. Don’t worry.” Oblivious to the on-lookers, she leaned forward and pressed a light, reassuring kiss to his lips.

Charlie gaped and stared with wide eyes throughout the entire interaction; Remus smiled softly; Sirius smirked and threw a glance at Charlie; Professor McGonagall’s lips twitched as she fought to keep her face blank; Tina and Seth exchanged a knowing look, and Professor Dumbledore had a merry twinkle in his eye when he deliberately cleared his throat loudly.

“Unofficially, Lily, I must admit that your grades oppose your opinion. It’s uncommon for a Muggleborn to be as successful in learning magic as you have been. It happens, but very seldom. But any student could achieve your grades if they only put their mind to it. No, I think it’s the fact that you perform with such skill, and have the capabilities to learn extremely advanced magic without falter, that worries Voldemort.” He looked thoughtful as he pulled out a sweet from the inside his robes and popped it into his mouth. “If we assume that explanation correct, then I think it fit to warn you, James. For the same reasons, Voldemort may choose to pursuit you as well.” His beard hid his smile when Lily grabbed James’s hand and linked their fingers. “Well, that’s all for now. Minerva, I believe we’ve stayed long enough.”

Tina jumped forward. “Albus, please, have you eaten yet? You’re free to have something here; we’ve plenty to go around.”

Dumbledore held up a hand. “Thank you, Tina, but we had eaten at Hogwarts before we’d come.” He turned to Lily and held her gaze compassionately. “Lily, if there’s need, I’m always available for a cup of tea.”

She nodded. “Thank you, Professor.”

When Dumbledore and McGonagall were back in the Headmaster’s office in Hogwarts, McGonagall exclaimed, “Did you see it, Albus?”

Taking a seat behind his desk, Dumbledore smiled. “Yes, I did, Minerva. Who would have thought, the rivals Evans and Potter?”

“Not only that, but the aura! Did you see the aura, Albus? How bright it was?”

“I did. I’ve heard that there’s a very thin line between love and hate, since both emotions take such passion. I must admit I’d had a feeling they’d end up together. They’ve had the glow before, Minerva. We’ve seen it when they were within a few feet of each other.”

“I know, but do you think they’re really in love, Albus? It can’t have been long ago when they absolutely despised one another. Don’t these things take time?”

Dumbledore chuckled. “Not when they’ve had years to develop already. Really, Minerva, is it that unbelievable?”

McGonagall looked rather disgruntled. “Well, no, but one would think it’d take longer than a single night to fall in love.”

“My dear Minerva, that’s what I’m telling you. It’s been growing from the day they met. Sometimes destiny takes a while to finish what it starts.”

She still looked bothered. She peered at him uncertainly. “Do you have that sensation too, Albus?”

“What do you mean?” He already knew, though.

She leaned forward in the chair she’d taken across from his desk. “I felt the power of their love. It was shocking, to be blunt. It gave me this instinctive feeling that the unusual strength of that aura is going to be important. That they’ll be important. Vital.”

“I don’t doubt they will be. Why else would Voldemort be getting anxious about them?”

McGonagall flinched at the name; she couldn’t help it. She sighed. “I know. I’ve grown fond of the pair, whether it’s acceptable or not. I’m worried. I don’t want them to get hurt.”

“Nor do I, Minerva, but we can’t coddle them. They’re the best witch and wizard we’ve had pass through this school in years, so we know they’re capable of protecting themselves. Apart, their power is remarkable, but together, it’s unimaginable. We must keep vigilant as to hold them under our wings. We can’t let Voldemort get a hold of them.”

“That’s why you’re collecting those witches and wizards, right? To start this group of yours so you can keep an eye on them, make sure he doesn’t influence them?”

“Yes. That’s one of the points, anyway.” He rubbed his eyes under his half-moon spectacles. “They’ll be back in the safety of Hogwarts in a week, Minerva,” he added, knowing she wasn’t done on the initial subject. “They’ll be with their friends, and Tina and Seth have agreed to watch for suspicious happenings. We needn’t worry ourselves.”

It was no comfort, but McGonagall let it drop.

Author's Note:
au·ra
n. pl. au·ras or au·rae

1. An invisible breath, emanation, or radiation.
2. A distinctive but intangible quality that seems to surround a person or thing; atmosphere

In my case, James and Lily's aura is a glow that they radiate, and others can see.