Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

After the Final Battle by Marauder24

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2: Now, That’s an Idea



Harry woke up the next morning with a sense of calm. He grabbed his glasses from the table and put them on. The room came into focus. He saw that Ron was still sleeping. Harry went down to the kitchen to wait for Mrs. Weasley to cook breakfast.

When he reached the door into to the kitchen he stopped. There were voices coming from the other side of the door. When he went through the door, he saw Ginny and Hermione sitting at the table deep in conversation. “We were just talking about you,” said Hermione with a slight smile.

“Only good things, I hope.” replied Harry.

“Of course. Why would I say anything bad about you,” answered Ginny. Harry walked over to the table and sat down next to her. He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer. He gave her a quick kiss on the forehead. “Good morning to you too.”

“So, are you really going to talk to McGonagall about the teaching job?” asked Hermione.

Harry nodded and said “Yeah, I think I’ll go see her a little bit later,” evidently that was what Hermione and Ginny were talking about when Harry arrived. “In the mean time, Ginny and me have to make up for lost time.” Hermione and Ginny giggled. “Girls will be girls,” he said while shaking his head.

When Ginny stopped laughing she leaned closer to Harry and gave him a kiss. A few seconds later Mrs. Weasley walked into the kitchen and Harry and Ginny pulled away. “Don’t worry about me. Just continue what you two were doing,” offered Mrs. Weasley with a slight smile. Harry and Ginny tenativley started to lean towards each other agian, but they backed off when the rest of the Weasley family came in for breakfast.

“Here dear, have some eggs and bacon,” said Mrs. Weasley while putting a plate full of food in front of Harry. “You really need to eat better.”

Harry nodded and said “I’ll try.” He enjoyed a peaceful breakfast with the Weasleys. Harry was the first to get up from the table. He kissed Ginny and whispered, “I have some errands to run. I will be back later.” Ginny nodded and Harry then said his goodbyes to everyone else.

Harry disapparated a few feet from the back door and then he re-appeared in the middle of Hogsmeade. Trash was thrown about the streets and streamers were strewn about picket fences. Harry couldn’t help but smile. “It must have been one hell of a party,” he thought to himself.

He made his way up to the castle and he ran into McGonagall just outside the Great Hall. “Hello Headmistress. You are just the person I wanted to see.”

“Hello Mr. Potter,” replied McGonagall. “You missed the party in Hogsmeade. I didn’t end until well after midnight.”

“I noticed. I was busy with more important things,” replied Harry.

“Off at the Burrow I expect.” Harry nodded and followed her up to her office.

When they reached her office, McGonagall offered Harry a chair. “Thank you,” said Harry while siting down in the chair in front of her desk.

“If you don’t mind, may I ask why you are here? I’m very busy trying to prepare for the next school year.”

“I’m sorry for the intrusion, but I’m here to apply for the Defense Against the Dark Arts job.”

“I’m sorry but that post is not open,” replied McGonagall.

“Oh really? I didn’t know. Hermione told me just last night that you were still looking for someone to fill the post.”

“It was filled last night. People seem more keen to take on the position since Voldemort is gone,” said McGonagall. “Although, I must say, if it were open; I still wouldn’t have allowed you to take the job.”

“Why not,” Harry asked with a bewildered look. “Who is better then me at Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

“There is no denying your talent in this field Mr Potter, but there are certain circumstances that would bar you from getting the job. One such circumstance would be the fact that you didn’t complete your years at Hogwarts.”

“And what are the others,” asked Harry, who was starting to get annoyed with her.

“Your relationship with Ms. Weasley. In your absence last year, she and your friends Ron and Hermione came to me for advice. I came to know them better then I had ever before. Ms. Weasley repeatedly told me how much she cared for you. I believe that she loves you more than perhaps she even realizes.”

“I love her more then anything in the world. But I don’t see how that would affect me getting a teaching job or not.”

“A relationship between a teacher and a student could not be allowed. You may have thought of me as cold and emotionless, but I could never keep you and Ms. Weasley apart. I can’t allow you to give her up to teach.”

“I didn’t know you cared so much,” said Harry with a slight smile

“I think it was the thing to do. Dumbledore probably would have done the exact same thing,” she added. “I’m just thankful that someone came forward last night.”

“Who did you give the job to?” asked Harry.

“Kingsley Shacklebolt came to me shortly after dinner last night. He told me what Ms. Granger told you about the job opening so I offered him the job and he accepted it. So, anyways, what are your plans for the future Mr. Potter.”

“I don’t know. I guess since I didn’t finish school, I can’t become an Auror anymore,” said Harry.

“I wouldn’t say that Harry,” said a voice from above McGonagall. Harry looked up to see the portrait of Dumbledore.

“Professor Dumbledore, I didn’t realize you were there,” said Harry with a wide smile. When he saw Dumbledore, his spirit rose.

“There is no need to call me professor anymore, just Dumbledore will do,” replied the painted Dumbledore.

“Ok What did you mean when you said ‘I wouldn’t say that’?” asked Harry on the edge of his seat waiting for the answer.

“All I meant was that I think the Minister would be happy to pull a few strings and get you into the Auror program.”

“To tell you the truth, now that I was out there this past year, I’m not entirely sure that I want to be an Auror anymore,” replied Harry with a confused look on his face.

“Harry you have plenty of time to decide. I personally think you would enjoy a nice quiet life. Somewhere away from all the fame and frenzy,” said McGonagall.

“You do have a point. A nice quiet life at the Burrow would be nice. I think I might give that a try.”

“Is that where you plan on staying?” asked Dumbledore.

“At least for now,” replied Harry. He continued his conversation with McGonagall and Dumbledore for few minutes before leaving. On his way out he saw Witherwings outside Hagrid’s hut. He decided to go over and say hello. When he reached Hagrid’s cabin, he bowed and waited for Witherwings to bow back. When he did, Harry walked forward and petted him. Harry waited a few minutes for Hagrid to show up, but when he didn’t he left for the Burrow.

Harry walked through the streets of Hogsmeade. Peolple were on the streets, on this sunny day in Hogsmeade. Everyone who Harry passed congratulated him and have their thanks for what he did. He finally got fed up and disapparated to the Burrow. When he re-appeared outside the Burrow, he found Ginny sitting in the garden. When she heard the popping sound signaling Harry’s arrival, she got up and ran towards him. “Harry, what took you so long.”

“Nothing, I just had a long talk with McGonagall and Dumbledore’s portrait.”

“Oh, well come inside and tell everyone about it.” Ginny took Harry’s hand in hers and lead him into the kitchen where the rest of the Weasley’s were just sitting down to lunch with Hermione.

“Harry you are back. So tell me, how did it go with McGonagall?” asked Hermione when she sat down across the table from Harry.

“Well, she told me that the job was filled last night.”

“Oh really, by whom?” asked Hermione with a confused look on her face.

Harry replied “Kingsley Shacklebolt.” then proceeded to tell them about everything that Dumbledore’s portrait and McGonagall had said.

“Well, mate, what are you going to do now? Are you gonna try to get into the Auror program after all?” asked Ron, when Harry had finished his story.

“I don’t know. A nice and quiet life does sound good right now. I might just take some time off and not take a job right away,” replied Harry

“Spoken like your father’s son,” said a familiar voice behind Harry. He turned around and saw Remus Lupin standing in the back door with Tonks. “Your father never took a job either. Sirius and me always said that you were more like your father then you ever realized.”

“I wouldn’t say that. I don’t plan on being unemployed forever,” said Harry smiling while he got up from the table and walked over to Lupin. Harry shook Lupin’s hand and gave Tonks a quick hug. Lupin talked with Harry while they all ate a great lunch that was provided by Mrs. Weasley.

Harry was the first one to be done. He waited for Ginny to finish, and when she finally did, he took her hand an led her outside. He sat down behind a tree, that shielded them from the view of anyone inside the house, and motioned for Ginny to join him. Ginny sat down next to him and looked at him then said “Harry, is something wrong?”

Harry turned to her and looked into her eyes; “When I’m with you everything is fine. I just wanted to get you alone for a little while.”

“Oh, I see’” replied Ginny mischievously. Harry leaned in and kissed Ginny. They quickly lost track of time. Before either of them knew it the sun was starting to set. Harry pulled away from Ginny and said “That was fun. We should do that more often.”

“You mean snog all afternoon?” asked a grinning Ginny

“Not necessarily snog, but spend a quiet afternoon together. When I’m with you I feel like everything is absolutely perfect.”

“I know what you mean,” said Ginny while resting her head on his shoulder.

“Ginny, can I ask you a question?” asked Harry

“Of course, just ask away.”

“Do you see us together in the future?”

“What do you mean Harry?”

“I mean, do you see us together in the future? Can you see us getting married and things like that?”

“Harry, it is to early to tell. If you look at things closely, we have only been together a month at the end of your sixth year and the last two days. All I can say is that I love you, and that things will turn out for the best.”

“I’ll take that as a yes then,” replied Harry.

“I guess you could take it like that. If you really want a straight answer, I would have to say yes. I know how much I love you and it is obvious to everyone how much you love me.”

Harry leaned in and kissed Ginny. He pulled back a few seconds later and whispered into her ear “Is it really that obvious?” Ginny just nodded. “I really do love you more then anything in the world. I even love you more then Quidditch, and that is saying a lot,” Harry said jokingly.


“I would hope that you would love me more then Quidditch,” replied Ginny with a wide smile growing on her face. Ginny put her hands on the back of Harry’s head and pulled him into a kiss. A few moments later, they heard footsteps in the grass coming their way and pulled away from each other. Barely a second later, Ron and Hermione came around the tree that they were sitting behind.

“Hey mate. What have you two been doing out here all afternoon,” asked Ron

“That is none of your business Ron,” replied Ginny. Hermione seemed to agree with Ginny because she had hit Ron on the back of his head.

“Ouch What was that for Hermione?” asked Ron while rubbing the spot on the back of his head on the spot where Hermione had just hit him.

“What Harry and Ginny have been doing is their business and their business alone,” replied Hermione. Harry and Ginny laughed. Even though Ron and Hermione had finally started dating, they would never stop bickering.

“Can I talk to you alone, mate,” asked Ron. Harry stood up and walked a few feet away. “I know you love her, but the fact remains that I am her brother. I just want to make sure you are never going to hurt her again. When you left last year, she cried for two days straight,” he said a little lower, not wanting her to ear it. “Eventually she got over that and was only mad, and obviously she got over that; with the help of some advice from Tonks.”

“It hurt me to leave like that. Perhaps more then anyone of you realizes, but it was something I had to do. I know that you are just trying to protect her, but you don’t have to.”

“Just promise me that you won’t hurt her again,” he demanded looking serious.

“I promise. Ron, I’m here to stay. I am never leaving again.” Ron just nodded and patted him on the shoulder. All Ron wanted to hear was him promising to never hurt Ginny again. They walked back to where Ginny and Hermione were waiting for them. Harry sat down next to Ginny and put his arm around her back.

“What were you talking about?” asked Ginny while she returned her head to Harry’s shoulder.

“Nothing special. We just talked about guy stuff’” lied Harry. He didn’t want to start a fight between Ron and Ginny. He knew ,all too well, how Ginny got when she felt Ron was being too overprotective or intrusive. Ron looked at Harry and mouthed the words “Thanks”

Mrs. Weasley stuck her head out of the kitchen window and beckoned them into the house for dinner. Harry sat next to Ginny. Lupin and Tonks had stayed for dinner and sat across from the young couple.

“It looks like you two had fun today,” joked Tonks. “Just look at how messy your hair is Ginny.” She blushed as she quickly tried to straighten it ,as Tonks had trouble not laughing. Her hair was messy due to Harry continually running his hand through it. Harry laughed slightly as he watched Ginny trying to straighten it and avoiding everyone else’s eyes.

He leaned towards her saying, “Don’t worry about it.” She threw him a contemptous look. “Your hair looks fine,” he added winking. Ginny gave him a slight jab in the ribs with her elbow. “What was that for?” he asked.

“That is for messing up my hair. Now everyone knows what were doing outside all afternoon,” replied Ginny in a whisper.

“I think they probably figured it out a long time ago and not when they saw your hair. Since when did you care anyway?”

“When it is just Ron and Hermione it is nothing, but I don’t want my whole family knowing what goes on between us.”

“I don’t think any of them really care, as long as we are happy.”

“He is right you know. We don’t care what you two do. We just want you two to be happy,” said Mrs. Weasley as she bent down next to Ginny. She realized that she wasn’t being as quiet as she would have liked. When she looked up, she saw everyone looking at her with various stages of smiles on their faces. She just shook her head and stopped trying to straighten her hair.

“Now eat up everyone,” chimed in Mrs. Weasley. Within seconds, plates of some of Harry’s favorite foods were placed on the table. Harry piled mashed potatoes and some steak onto his plate and began to eat. Before he was finished, Harry had gone through three helpings. Mrs. Weasley kept on refilling his plate as she commented on how underfed he looked. She planned on changing that as quickly as she could.

When Harry finally got up from the table, Ginny followed him into the living room. He sat on the chair closest to the unlit fireplace. The youngest Weasley quickly joined him by sitting on his lap. Lupin and Tonks were already sitting on a couch nearby.

“Ah, young love. Isn’t it beautiful,” said Lupin. Harry looked at Lupin and shook his head. Lupin laughed at this. “I’m glad that you could find someone that can make you happy. After everything you went through since finding out you were a wizard, you deserve some happiness. I know that your parents and Sirius would be happy also.”

“I know they would. It is strange, but sometimes it feels like they are watching me from somewhere just beyond my vision,” replied Harry.

“Of course they are watching you,” said Ginny. Harry looked in Ginny’s eyes and all he could do was kiss her. When the kiss was ended, Harry took hold of Ginny’s right hand and held it. At that moment Harry was absolutely sure that he was with the right person. He rubbed her arm with his free hand. Everyone else came into the living room soon after. Harry thrilled them with more tales of his adventures. Every time he retold a story of a dangerous event, he could feel Ginny tense up and grip his hand tighter. He would just reassuringly rub her shoulder to ease her tenseness.


Soon it was time for bed. Harry gave Ginny a long goodnight kiss ans made his way up to Ron’s room to go to sleep. Ron soon followed. “Wow, mate, you really did all those things.”
Ron could see the look on Harry’s face and realized that he wasn’t paying attention. “If you miss her that much why not just ask her to marry you,” said Ron jokingly

“Now, that is an idea ” replied Harry. Ron was stunned and before he could say anything, Harry laid down and went to sleep.