Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

After the Final Battle by Marauder24

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3: Opportunity and Doubt



Harry was in a room filled with laughter. Voldemort was laughing. “My dear boy, you may have bested my death eaters and destroyed my horcruxes, but I am a different matter. You can never defeat me.”

“I will never stop hunting you. I won’t stop until I kill you,” replied a panting Harry.

“I will just have to kill you then, but you will have to suffer first.” Voldemort raised his wand in a swish and pointed it at Harry. With an insane cackle of laughter, he cried “Crucio”.

Harry was on the floor writhing in pain. He had failed. There is no way he could beat Voldemort. Memories came flooding back as every inch of his body screamed in pain. First, he was looking into his parents faces in the Mirror of Erised. Next, he was in the Chamber of Secrets fighting the Basilisk. Then, he was flying on Buckbeak up to where Sirius was being held. Once that faded the image of Voldemort raising from the cauldron in the graveyard replaced it. Eventually that faded and was replaced with the sight of a tired Dumbledore telling him about the prophecy. This vanished only to be replaced with Ginny jumping into his arms and the first time he kissed her. All those thoughts crossed his mind in a matter of seconds.

Suddenly, Harry felt a surge of power from within himself. The pain slowly left and he stood up. “It isn’t over yet, Tom,” said Harry furiously, with a renewed energy.

“I no longer go by that name, boy. How dare you bind me to my miserable muggle father.”

Something inside Harry fueled him. It made him stronger and more daring. This had happened before in times of danger when he thought about Ginny. Suddenly something dawned on Harry. The power that he had in abundance that Voldemort utterly lacked was fueling him. His love for the red-headed sister of his best friend made him stronger. “There is nothing you can do. I am the one who is going to defeat you, and it will happen this very morning,” cried out Harry.

Voldemort responded by throwing an assortment of hexes and curses at Harry, but not a single one found its mark. Voldemort grew angrier with each blocked spell until he finally lost his patience and fired a Cruciatus Curse towards Harry. Harry blocked it instinctively and smiled at Voldemort.

“It ends here,” said Harry firing a disarming spell towards Voldemort. The Dark Lord’s wand spun in the air and landed at his feet. Harry looked into Voldemort’s eyes and for the first time didn’t feel hatred towards him. He felt pity. Here was the strongest Dark Wizard of the age, possibly ever, and he was standing here in fear. Harry struggled to finish him off. He lowered his wand an inch. The thought of killing someone, even as evil as him, was something he thought he was prepared for.

“You can’t and won’t kill me boy,” said Voldemort. Harry could tell that Voldemort wasn’t his usual confident self. For the first time ever, he heard fear in the Dark Lord’s voice.

Harry hesitated again, but the image of his parents standing next to Sirius flooded his mind. They were looking at him with expressionless faces. Somehow, Harry knew what they wanted him to do. They wanted him to finish it for good. When Harry realized this, they nodded and faded away into nothing. Harry, raising his wand again, pointed it back at Voldemort, uttered the words “Avada Kedavra”.

Harry awoke with a gasp. He was covered with sweat. It had been a month since he last saw those images. He reached for his glasses and looked around the room. “It was just a dream,” cried a relived Harry. When Harry saw it was four in the morning, he decided to get up and go down to the kitchen. After he got dressed and made his way downstairs, he made a pot of tea. Harry was the only one awake, so he decided to wait in the kitchen for Mrs. Weasley to wake up and have breakfast.

Eventually, the rest of the occupants started to stir. Hermione was the first one to come into the kitchen. “How long have you been up?” she asked as she sat down at the table across from Harry. “Thanks,” she said after Harry handed her a cup of tea.

“I’ve been up since four in the morning. I couldn’t fall back asleep because I had a dream about the fight with Voldemort, among other things,” replied Harry

Hermione ignored the dream and said, “You miss Ginny already? She is just upstairs getting dressed.”

“I wouldn’t say that I miss her yet, but I can’t say I’m looking forward to saying goodbye.”

“It’s not goodbye. You will see her soon enough,” said Ron while entering the room.

“What would you know?” answered Harry curtly

“You are not the only one saying goodbye to his girlfriend today. Hermione is leaving too.”

“You and Hermione had time together. You spent all of last year together. I was away from Ginny for an entire year. I told her I would never leave her again and now look what’s happening,” yelled Harry.

“Harry, calm down. I know you don’t want Ginny to go, but she has to. You can’t make her stay just for you. That would be selfish,” said Hermione trying to calm him down.

“I know I can’t make her stay, but it hurts to think about not seeing her again for months.”

“I know it does. You are just going to have to live with it. There is nothing you can do,” said Ron tentatively. He obviously didn’t want to set Harry off again.

“What are you three arguing about this early in the morning,” asked a red headed girl that just walked through the kitchen door. Ginny looked absolutely beautiful. She had her muggle clothes on for the trip and her hair tied back in a ponytail.

“Nothing,” said Harry slightly embarrassed about how he had yelled at his two closest friends.

“I heard you yelling from my room. I know you were fighting about something,” she retorted while putting her hands on her hips.

“Ginny it was nothing important,” Harry said while he got up and walked behind Ginny. He put his arms around her waist and kissed her on the top of her head. She sighed and didn’t say another thing.

Breakfast was a subdued affair. Harry didn’t say anything to anybody. He sat there eating his eggs and toast. When he was finished he got up and walked out the kitchen door and leaned against his favorite tree. He stood there for awhile, day dreaming about that last month that he had spent with Ginny. He snapped out of it when Ginny came outside with Hermione and set her trunk down next to him. “There you are. I was wondering where you had went off to?”

“I’ve been here ever since I finished breakfast.” Harry and Ginny didn’t say much else. They just stood there in each other’s arms. Mr. Weasley had borrowed a car from the Ministry of Magic. When it had pulled up, Harry helped Ginny get her trunk into the car.

“In you go, Harry,” said Mr. Weasley

“There won’t be enough room for you or Mrs. Weasley.”

“Molly and me think it would be best if you and Ron took the girls to the train to see them off.” Mr. Weasley lowered his voice and whispered to Harry, “I overheard what you were yelling in the kitchen this morning. We think it would be best for you and Ginny if you were there.”

“Thank you,” Harry replied while Mrs. Weasley was hugging Ginny as if she would never come back. He got into the car and they were off to King’s Cross Station. When they crossed the barrier to platform 9 3/4, they found many families saying their goodbyes. At that moment, Ginny looked into Harry’s face and saw a few tears rolling down his cheeks.

“What’s wrong Harry?” asked Ginny. “It’s not like you to cry.”

“I’m just not looking forward to seeing you wave goodbye as the train heads off.”

“I’m not either, but you don’t see me crying, ‘cause this time I know I will see you again” said Ginny as she wiped the tears from his cheeks. She hoped that it would make Harry feel better. Harry kissed her forehead and pulled her into his warm embrace.

“Hello Harry,” said two voices simultaneously. Harry looked around to see Parvati and Padma Patil walking towards him with someone who looked like he could be their brother.

“Long time no see,” he answered as they stopped before Ginny and him.

“Yeah, it’s been over a year. We all missed you. Me and Padma were glad to hear you were ok. We had a party to celebrate afterwards. We wanted to send you an owl asking you to come but we thought you would be busy,” replied Parvati and she winked at him. “I see that you and Ginny are together again. I am happy for the both you.”

“Thanks,” replied Ginny with a smile. “It’s good to see everyone again.”

Harry saw the boy struggling behind Padma and asked, “Who is he?”

“Oh, this is our cousin. He saw you standing here and wanted to met you,” answered Padma.

“Hello,” he said to the boy.

The boy replied with a ‘Hello’ of his own and seemed embarrassed. Everyone laughed when they saw the boy turn slightly red when Harry shook his hand.

Before long, it was time for the train to leave. Harry gave Ginny one last goodbye kiss and said “See you soon.” Harry waved as the train went around the bend and out of sight. “What do you want to do now mate?” asked Ron.


“I could use a firewhiskey,” replied Harry and they both apperated to the Leaky Cauldron. The pair walked up to the bar. “Hello Tom. We’ll take two firewhiskey’s.” Tom handed them two cups full of the liquid and Harry passed him some coins. They finished their drinks quickly and left for home.

***

September went by quickly. Despite how much Ginny missed Harry, she was having a fun time. The school was back to how it used to be in the early days, when there were no worries and fear. Even quidditch was on again. Before she knew it, the first Hogsmeade weekend approached. She went down early for breakfast, ate quickly and joined the line to leave the school. Hermione joined her and they walked down to the village together. “I wish Harry was here,” said Ginny. A smile spread across Hermione’s face.

The two made their way through the village to the three Broomsticks. As Ginny walked up to the bar, she was grabbed from behind. She flung around to see Harry standing there. This time Ginny initiated the kiss. She had her hands on the back of his head and Harry had one hand on her waist while the other was running through her silky hair. “I missed you,” she said when she finally pulled away from him.

“I missed you too,” he replied.

“It’s good to see you two so happy,” said Hermione beaming. They went and sat down at a table in the back.

Ron soon entered the pub and saw Hermione with Harry and Ginny. When he sat down next to his girlfriend, he gave her a quick kiss, and soon joined in the conversation. They talked about Quidditch strategy since Ginny was the new captain of the house team.

“What are you doing here?” asked Hermione a few minutes later.

“Aren’t you glad to see me?”

“Of course I am. I was just wondering what you were doing away from the shop. Hogsmeade weekends are the busiest days for the shops of the village.”

“Fred came and gave me an hour or two off. He thought it would be nice to let me go see you for a little while.”

Harry and Ginny decided to go for a walk through the village and leave Ron and Hermione alone. They went to Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and talked with Fred for a few minutes, then they went to Honeydukes. Harry bought Ginny anything she wanted, and a bit more. By the time they left the shop, Ginny had a large bag filled with sweets of all kinds.

They stopped just outside the village gate. It was almost time for Ginny to go back up to the school. Harry had to do it now or wait till Christmas. Harry fingered the box that was in his pocket and he looked into Ginny’s eyes. He reached out for her hand and took it in his. “Ginny, I love you more then anything.”

“I feel the same way Harry. There isn’t anyone I would rather be with,” replied Ginny. “Except maybe Dean,” she said with a laugh.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” laughed Harry. No one could make Harry laugh like Ginny could. “It is good to see the castle again. It has been my home for so long.”

“It will always be a home away from home. You now have a real home,” replied Ginny

“You and your family have done so much for me. How can I begin to thank you?”

“There is no need to thank anyone. We did it because we wanted to. I’m sorry, but I really have to get back up to the castle. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye Ginny. I can’t wait till Christmas.”

“Me too,” she replied as she turned to leave. Ginny made her way back up to the castle accompanied by Hermione. He watched her walk until she was out of sight. He walked around the village for hours barley noticing where he was going. He found himself near the path into the hills where Sirius had hidden in his fourth year. He shook his heard to clear his thoughts and went to see Ron at the shop. “Well that was fun,” he said as he walked into the shop and saw Ron getting ready to close down for the night.

“Yeah it was,” Ron replied. Harry and Ron both went to the Three Broomsticks and had a few butterbeer’s with the other patrons. Before long, Harry went back to the Burrow for dinner.

“Had fun, dear?” asked Mrs. Weasley as he walked into the kitchen and sat down for dinner.

“More than you could imagine. It was great seeing her again. I can’t wait till Christmas break,” replied Harry. He enjoyed a nice dinner and joked around with Bill and Charlie for a few minutes. Half way through the meal they were joined by Ron. Harry grew consistently moodier as the meal progressed. Fleeting doubts passed through his mind. By the end of dinner, he wasn’t saying a word to anyone. He silently got up from the table and made his way to Fred and George’s old room to go to sleep early.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen everyone sat with bewildered looks on their face. “What was that about?” asked Bill. “He was happy when he got back and now he won’t even say a word to anyone. Did we say something bad?”

“Isn’t it obvious? He wants more than anything to be with Ginny,” answered Mr. Weasley as he entered the room.

“You are late again Arthur,” said Mrs. Weasley with a scornful look about her. “The ministry sure is keeping you busy lately.”

“I know, but what can I do about it?” replied Mr. Weasley. “That doesn’t really matter right now though. We have to do something about Harry.”

“I think zink I will go have a talk with ‘im,” chimed in Fleur. She left before anyone could stop her. She knocked on the door to the room in which Harry was staying. She entered before Harry could even turn her away.

“What do you want?” he asked.

“Just to talk. I never got to repay you for ‘elping my sister during ze tournament, so I thought I could ‘elp you out now.”

“I don’t want help. I just want to be alone.”

“We are all worried about you.”

“There is nothing you can do to help me.”

“How do you know that if you won’t let us try?” Harry couldn’t help but smile and let out a soft laugh. “Zat is better, but if you don’t mind me asking, why ze sudden change in moods.”

“I just never thought I would hear you say something like that. It’s usually Hermione that says those things. By the way, your English has really improved.”

“Thanks, I had good teachers,” she said with a smile. “‘arry I know you miss her, but there isn’t anything you can do about it. You have to stop beating yourself up over her. If you stop constantly zinking about her, the time will seem to pass quicker until you can be together again. It is only a month or two till she will be home for Christmas, and after zat another six till she is home for good.”

“Don’t you think I’ve tried that already? I can’t help but think about her.”

“If you love ‘er so much, why don’t you ask ‘er to marry you?”

“The thought has crossed my mind. I can’t bring myself to decide.”

“Why not?”

“I have no clue. Everything has been happening so fast.”

“You zink so?”

“Yeah.”

“What happened at dinner?”

“What do you mean? Nothing happened.”

“You were‘appy and joking around when you got back, but by ze end you were quiet and had a strange look of your face.”

“Oh, that. I was fine when I got back, but as the evening wore on I started to think about Ginny. These doubts kept creeping into the back of my mind. Thoughts like, am I good enough for her? Does she really love me back?”

“Zat is nonsense. It might not be apparent to you, but she obviously loves you back. Would she ‘ave been so hurt when you left if she didn’t? Would she ‘ave waited for you if she didn’t love you? I see the way she looks at you when she is with you. There is not a doubt in my mind zat she wants to be with you.”


“I wish I could be as confident.”

“Why are you so insecure all of a sudden?”

“When I got back I was just so happy to be with her. I didn’t have a lot of time to think about our relationship. After she left for Hogwarts, I’ve had too much time to dwell on things.”

“Too much time to zink can be a dangerous thing.” Harry laughed after he heard her say this. Fleur was satisfied that she had cheered Harry up. She left him with one last word of advice, “It’s good to talk to people about these things, but what you really need to do is talk to Ginny. She will ’elp you through this.” Harry nodded and she shut the door. Harry laid back on the bed and pondered everything that Fleur had said to him. He was surprised at how good her advice was, but he couldn’t help doubting everything. He soon fell asleep and couldn’t wait till Ginny came home for Christmas.

***

The rest of the term passed quickly for Ginny. She woke up early on the morning she was going to leave for Christmas break. She soon had everything packed and was on her way out of the castle. She paused to say goodbye to a few of her friends, but before long she was in Hogsmeade. She decided to call the Knightbus. She wanted time to think to herself before she got home. The Knightbus made its stops and it was eventually Ginny’s turn to get off. When she got off the bus, a strange sight met her eyes, and her jaw dropped.