Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She Wasn't Alone by Soulful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In a dormitory at the highly acclaimed University for Witchcraft and Wizardry in Dublin, Hermione Granger was reading an owl she had received from Albus Dumbledore. She had just graduated at the top of her class and was ready to get out in the “real world.” In the owl, Dumbledore congratulated her and asked her to come to Hogwarts to meet with him about a career opportunity. She was hesitant about the whole thing. She had too many memories from Hogwarts, memories that she’d been trying so hard to forget. During her seventh and final year there she had realized all the hatred she felt towards Severus Snape was actually love. She spent many sleepless nights, tossing and turning, trying to figure out when it had happened- when did she fall in love with the dark, sinister, crude Potion’s Master? She figured it was probably all those N.E.W.T. classes she took with him during her sixth and seventh years.

When she finally realized she had to tell him, she found a small glint in his eye that told her she wasn’t alone in the emotions she was feeling. They never did anything inappropriate, but occasionally when Harry and Ron thought she was in the library “ a place they didn’t venture to much “ she would go down to the dungeons and spend time with Severus.

The day she graduated from Hogwarts was one of the most depressing days of her young life. Not only was she leaving the place she’d been calling home for the last seven years of her life, but also she was leaving the one man she loved more then anything. She hadn’t seen him since.

And now, five years later, she was supposed to go back and act like nothing ever happened? A thousand doubts rushed into her mind, not letting her think of anything else. What if he found someone else? Okay, that was doubtful. What if he wouldn’t forgive her for leaving? What would happen when they saw each other for the first time in half a decade?

She wrote back to Dumbledore - letting all her worries leave her “ and told him that she would be honored to meet him. She also asked when would be an appropriate time to come. She sealed the letter and sent it off with her owl; she got it when she graduated from Hogwarts. She looked around her empty room, it was mid-June and a lot of the students were gone for the summer holiday. She was about to leave herself. All her things were packed; she had planned on leaving that night but now thought she should wait until she got a reply.

She smiled when she recalled a memory of their first kiss. It was a dreary day in early December. Severus and Hermione were in his private quarters, they sat in front of the fire talking about anything and everything. It was odd- Hermione had no trouble talking to him, and vise versa. Severus said something and they started laughing when they looked at each other they fell silent. They were a few inches apart and moving closer. All the worries and fears that might have been in their heads disappeared and they finally let their lips meet. For Hermione time stood still, the taste of his lips and tongue was intoxicating and she couldn’t get enough. Severus wrapped his arms around her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck. It all seemed so natural, so pristine. Until that moment Hermione was unsure if she loved him, but after that kiss she knew she could never love another the way she loved him.

That night while she was at dinner she got a reply saying the next morning would suffice and he told her the password to Dumbledore’s office. So the next morning she took her stuff to her parents’ house and Apparated “ a new thing for her “ to the gates of Hogwarts. She walked the rest of the way. She got to the great oak doors and sighed heavily. It was about quarter after ten so the kids would be in their lessons; she decided to go right to Dumbledore’s office.

The corridors of Hogwarts had not changed they were still home-like and comfortable. The portraits were all looking at her and whispering. She ran into Nearly Headless Nick- the Gryffindor ghost.

“Well, Hermione! I did not expect to see you here!” said the ghost.

“Hello, Sir Nicholas. I’m here to talk to Professor Dumbledore about a job,” she said, friendly.

“Ah, yes. I believe it has something to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts. You know how people believe it’s cursed or something,” he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

“Thanks, I don’t want to be late I must be going.” Hermione said trying to walk away.

“Oh before you go, I think you should know that Severus is extremely proud of how well you did at the University,” He said with a smile and floated off.

Hermione flushed. He must still care, she thought to herself. She had a bit of a smile on her face as she headed towards Dumbledore’s office.