Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She Wasn't Alone by Soulful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I don't own these characters, or settings, JK does. I just control the plot.

~

“Professor Dumbledore?” Hermione asked, peeking her head into the old wizard’s office.

“Ah“ Hermione, right on time, as usual. Come in, come in!” Albus Dumbledore said the same old twinkle in his blue eyes.

Hermione opened the door wider and stepped inside. The office had not changed. The pictures of past headmasters and headmistresses still hung on the walls, Fawkes the Phoenix was still perched by the desk, the golden orbs and other various magical objects hovered around the room and it was the same old desk with the same elderly wizard behind it. Hermione smiled, she liked the familiar feel of it all.

“Please, sit down,” Dumbledore instructed. Hermione did as she was told. “Now to get down to business, Hermione you graduated at the top of your class in Dublin “ and we’re all very proud.”

“Thank you, sir,” Hermione said confidently.

“And after all your past…“ he paused, as if choosing his words carefully, “adventures, I am certain that you could be put to any task and succeed brilliantly.”

“Thank you again, sir,” Hermione said quietly.

“So I firmly believe that you are the perfect candidate for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position for next term,” Dumbledore said happily.

“Excuse me? I’m sorry sir, I’d love the job, but “ well “ isn’t someone already teaching that class?” Hermione asked logically.

“Well, right now it’s Professor Tawney- he’s from Ireland, isn’t doing so good. The students are eating him alive. He sent me an owl in January already saying he’s not coming back next year,” he said dismissively. “So, how about it Hermione? I know that you would be great with kids and you are determined by nature. You are the best person for the position,” he added. Hermione turned a lovely shade of red.

“Well, thank you, Professor. I “ um “ I mean, of course I’ll do it. I’d be honored. So “ when should I ‘move in’? I assume the students leave soon,” Hermione said questioningly.

“Well, the students leave next Friday, and most of the Professors take a month off, so I’d say August first,” he said grinning.

“Okay. Thank you, sir. Is that all?” Hermione asked getting up.

“Yes and no. I feel it’s best you go and talk to some old professors, new professors, students, and maybe someone else of interest to you. Classes end in three minutes and some professors have a break,” he said being anything but subtle.

“Yes, well I might go see if Professor McGonagall is on break,” she said, not making eye contact with her old headmaster.

“Not whom I meant, but anyway, I’ll see you on the first Hermione,” he said quietly.

“Goodbye, Professor Dumbledore,” she said walking out.

When Hermione got to the bright corridor she walked in a trance-like state. Dumbledore knew about herself and Severus, about what happened all those years ago. Of course he knew- what didn’t he know? There were so many questions left unanswered. Severus refused to see her off the day she graduated from Hogwarts, he didn’t even say goodbye. She figured he thought it'd be easier, but it wasn't. She remembered the heartache she’d felt when she realized that he wasn’t going to write her, or visit her, or see her again. The thought was almost too much to bear. Her feet instinctively took her to the Transfiguration room. When she neared the door it swung open and missed her by an inch.

“Excuse me,” she said politely, thinking it was a student.

“No, it was my fault,” a cold, familiar voice said quietly. Hermione gasped.

“Severus,” she said breathlessly as the tall, pale, figure stepped out from behind the door, and came face-to-face with her. He stopped dead.


~