Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She Wasn't Alone by Soulful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I don't own these characters, I'm just playing with them! ;)

Enjoy!

~

“Hermione,” he said in a low drawl. There in front of him was the young women he had fallen in love with, her face now had an adult look to it, the face he fell in love with was still visible though. Especially her eyes, he absolutely adored her eyes. They were so big and bold, so mysterious. Everything hit him with a tidal force. All his emotions and memories came back, after being shut away in the deepest closet of his mind for years.

“You look “ well,” she said conversationally. She was trying to read his emotions that he hid so well. She wondered why he did this, why did he always conceal everything? She knew how he was and he didn’t like people to know how he was really feeling. But this was her; she thought he could tell her everything, wrong again she thought to herself.

Severus took her arm and led her into an empty classroom. When he “ unwilling “ let go, Hermione was about three feet away from him. She had so many questions she wanted to shout out at him and yet she couldn’t, her voice had died the moment he touched her. His touch was electrifying, she didn’t want him to let go, not for a minute, and she silently cursed the effect he had on her. Severus in turn had no trouble voicing his thoughts.

“I was very happy for you when I heard about your accomplishments at the University, not that we expected much less of you,” he said with more then a hit of pride in his voice.

Hermione didn’t say anything, nor did she make eye contact with him. She just stared at the same patch of floor she’d been looking out since they entered the room.

“I wanted to write you Hermione, honestly I did, but you know how it is,” he said bluntly. He said them, those six little words women hate: ‘but you know how it is.’ Hermione’s eyes flashed with rage, she had found her voice.

“No! I don’t know how it is! Maybe you should explain it to me! I thought you loved me! You didn’t visit me, you didn’t write me, you didn’t even say goodbye to me the day I left! But I guess that’s how it is, right?” She said bitterly.

“How would that have looked? I was your professor, if anyone would have found out then, what would have happened?” he asked seriously.

“I’m not your student anymore, and I haven’t been for quite awhile now, so don’t give me that! You could have at least owled me!” She cried, “ I loved you! When I realized you weren’t coming to say goodbye I knew the feelings I felt towards you were not mutual. I tried getting over you, but I couldn’t! I couldn’t! I gave you my heart, and how do you repay me? You make me look like a fool. Like a love-sick puppy that has no brain and now no heart,” she yelled, hot, angry tears streaming down her face.

This made Severus cringe. How could he tell her that he missed her tremendously over the years? That every time he picked up his quill to write her, his hand would tremble in the fear that he would say something stupid. He did love her “ not that she knew this was defiant “ but he couldn’t tell her, not now anyway. He was never the one to wear his emotions on his sleeve, and he only told things to people at relevant times “ he didn’t feel this was it. In his mind there would be an exact moment when Hermione would desperately need to hear those three words come out of his mouth. Now wasn’t it. He would know when the time was right. After a short moment when neither of them spoke Hermione headed for the door. Severus didn’t stop her, but he did need to tell her something.

“Hermione?” he said quietly, his black eyes that hid more then they revealed softened. She turned toward him and he heard her sigh.

“What is it, Professor Snape?” she said coolly, knowing it would annoy him.

That’s exactly what it did, ever since Hermione’s seventh year they had been on a first name basis “ secretly of course, but none the less a first name basis. He remembered that day vividly. They had just finished the last class of the day and coincidently hers was potions. He asked her to stay after class to discuss her paper. She stayed and they talked a couple minutes. And while they were walking out the dark dungeon classroom she brought up the first name thing.

“Professor, I only see it fitting that we use our first names, I mean not in class, of course but when we’re alone why not?” she asked angelically.

“Well I suppose that could be arranged,” he said grinning, “Hermione.” That made her smile and he was glad she was happy.

But that was a long time ago and she was mad at him now, so he figured the first name basis was out of the question now.

“Did you want something, sir?” she asked impatiently. He hadn’t realized that she was still standing there waiting for him to talk.

“Have a nice summer and I’ll see you in August, I suppose,” he said steadily. Hermione looked shocked.

“Excuse me? H-H-How’d you know about that?” she stuttered.

“I’m the one who dropped your name to Albus, not that he would have overlooked you, but I helped persuade him,” he said faintly smiling. He then walked up to her and put a hand on her cheek and defiantly smiled. She looked at the ground again. But what she really wanted was to collapse into his arms and never let go, but she couldn’t do that. He took his hand away and walked out the classroom, his black robes billowing.

Hermione’s heart sunk. “Why doesn’t my heart listen to my head?” she mumbled harshly, leaving the room in a huff.

~