Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She Wasn't Alone by Soulful

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I'd like to thank Ashley, my awesome Beta!

I don't own these characters! I'm just messing with them!



It was a beautiful June day as Hermione walked the streets of Muggle London. She was meeting Remus Lupin in Diagon Alley for lunch and decided to walk around the city before she had to meet him. She walked past numerous stores and shops, only one catching her attention.

It was a little shop squeezed between two larger stores. When Hermione saw the store’s sign hanging dimly in the window she knew she had to go in. The sign had said ‘Books, Books, Books!’ As Hermione opened the door, a tiny bell rang and a plump elder man came walking out from a door behind the counter.

“Can I help you, love?” he asked in a very thick Yorkshire accent. He had on a very daft jumper and khaki trousers.

Hermione smiled at him and replied politely, “I’m just looking, thanks.”

“Well we have a lot of books here; I’m sure you’ll find something you’re interested in,” he said reassuringly, like Hermione hadn’t already realized that. She could be in a book store with 10 books and find at least 5 she liked. He smiled, “If you need help I’ll be in the back room; the name’s Warren,” He concluded and disappeared behind the door.

Hermione strolled up and down the aisles looking at the spines of various books. She found quite a few that she did not have in her collection. She headed up to the counter to pay for “A Tale of Two Cities” (paperback of course, she already had the hardback), “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare”, a couple of history books, a biography, and two other fiction books. Warren came out and stared at the amount of books in her hands.

“I guess you like to read,” he jokingly said as he began to ring up the prices on an antique cash register. When he was done Hermione paid him using muggle money and headed out of the store.

As soon as she was a block away from the store, the urge became too great, she pulled out “The Complete Works of Shakespeare” and started reading as she walked -- a skill she had mastered a long time ago. It was not long before she was in front of the Leaky Cauldron; she opened the old, dirty door and walked to the back. She pulled out her wand and said a spell that made the books and the shopping bag they were in very tiny. However, she kept Shakespeare out. She dug in her pocket for her robe, which was also tiny; when she found them she said the reversal spell and put the bark blue robe on. When she was sure that her books were safely in her pocket, she took her wand and tapped the bricks to open the gate way to Diagon Alley.

Diagon Alley wasn’t as full as it would be in a month or two when Hogwarts students would be in search of their new school materials, but it had a nice crowd to it. She was meeting Remus in ten minutes at a café near Quality Quidditch Supplies. She walked down the cobblestone street and almost ran into someone when they came out of a shop and did not look to see if anyone was in their way.

“God, watch where you’re going,” a cold, but all too familiar voice said bitterly.

“Ah “ Draco, they let you out of the kennel early, I see. Couldn’t have been for good behavior,” Hermione said triumphantly. She had realized that the years of hanging out with Harry and Ron had augmented her ability to deliver a good comeback drastically.

“Mind your attitude, you filthy Mudblood,” Draco said narrowly.

“Why? What are you going to do, take house points?” she asked sarcastically. That left Draco speechless; he soon stormed away in a huff. Hermione felt great, it was almost as good as the time she had punched him in the face during her third year.

She walked to her destination with a new spring in her step. The café, which was plainly decorated, seemed like the type of place Remus would choose. It was the kind of person he was; he didn’t need fancy and extravagant things. There was no sign of him yet and she decided to get a table and wait for him.

A witch that looked to be in her late thirties, early forties came out and showed Hermione to an empty table.

“Would you like a drink, dear?” she asked nasally. The witch had jet black hair that was very short and spiky; it reminded Hermione of Madam Hooch. She was wearing white pants and a purple shirt; she was quite a character, to say the least.

“Yes, please, I’ll have water with lemon,” Hermione said politely. She figured she could at least get a drink while she waited for Remus.

“Coming right up,” the witch said brightly, and walked back towards the kitchens. Hermione took everything in, it was a beautiful café and she wondered why she never came in here before.

The walls were a dark wood and the tables had white table cloths on them with a vase full of purple lilacs. It was pretty empty, and Hermione was glad; she didn’t need everyone and anyone hearing about her problems. Her table was near the window and she kept an eye out for Remus. The witch soon came back with a large glass of water and a lemon slice on the rim of the cup. She handed Hermione a menu.

“Oh, I’m waiting for someone so I don’t need this right now,” Hermione explained.

“Ok, I’ll be back when I see you have company,” the witch said with a wink and walked back to the kitchens again. Hermione was left alone to her thoughts, which was never good lately. If she didn’t take the job she knew she’d regret it, but she didn’t want her relationship with Severus to affect her teaching. Relationship… she wasn’t sure if that was the best word but she didn’t care. Immersed in her thoughts, she didn’t even realize when Remus came up to the table; she snapped back to reality when he sat down.

“Penny for your thoughts,” He said jokingly, “How are you Hermione?”

“Confused, how about you?” she asked smiling. Remus was wearing the same old tattered robes, and was a little paler then usual, but the full moon was two days ago so Hermione understood. It was still the same old Remus though.

“I’m hanging in there, but this meeting isn’t about me, it’s about you, now tell me what’s bothering you,” He said in that teacher-like quality he had. It was really a pity he couldn’t continue teaching; he was great with kids and was a wonderful teacher.
“Ok, Professor Dumbledore offered me the Dark Arts position for next school year, and I accepted it,” She started.

“Good for you,” Remus said smiling, “But…?” he started for her.

“But, I don’t know if I can do it,” she said pessimistically.

“You don’t know if you can teach or you don’t know if you can work in such close proximity with Severus,” he said seeing right through her. Remus was pretty much the only person who Hermione felt good talking to about this, no one else really knew.

“The latter,” Hermione mumbled as the witch came back out to take their orders.

“Ready now, love?” she asked Hermione in a caring tone.

“If you are, I am,” Hermione said to Remus.

“Go for it,” Remus said, grinning.

“I’ll have a grilled chicken salad with an oriental dressing,” Hermione said. She had seen the specials board on her way in.

“That sounds good; I’ll have the same and a glass of water,” Remus said politely.

“Okay, another glass of water, and two chicken salads, got it,” The witch said and walked to the back yet again.

“Now where were we?” Remus asked, “Ah “ yes, why you can’t work that close to Snape. Now in most cases it’s just because he’s . . . well . . . just because he’s him, but for you it’s much different,” he said trying to lighten the mood.

“Remus, I still love him, and I don’t know what will happen if I go back there,” She said not making eye contact with him, “What if he acts like it never happened? I couldn’t deal with that,” She finished dishearteningly.

“Listen Hermione, you can’t help who you fall in love with. And I don’t think you’re supposed to. If Severus truly loves you in return, he won’t act like the giant git that he is,” he paused, “Oh, sorry, Hermione but there are too many bad memories attached to him, I’m trying though, honestly I am,” Remus finished.

“It’s okay; I know that you never liked him,” Hermione said quietly. She finally met his eyes. “Remus, am I being foolish? I mean I’m so much younger than him and no one will approve of this relationship, if there even is one! You don’t even approve,” she said hopelessly.

“Hermione, don’t worry what other people think, take the advice from someone who knows, and never ever dwell on other people’s thoughts because it can only lead to more negativity. If you love him, let him know, don’t beat around the bush,” Remus said seriously.

“Thanks, Remus I feel better, a lot better,” Hermione said truthfully.

Their salads came and they discussed recent events that had happened in the wizarding world. They never went back to the subject of Severus, or Hogwarts for that matter. They were soon walking the streets of Diagon Alley, and though it came all too soon for Hermione, he had to leave. They said their goodbyes and Remus apparated. Hermione sighed and did the same.

She was in her bedroom at her parent’s house. She took her books from her pockets and made them their regular size. She placed them on her already full bookshelf. She then positioned herself at her desk with a piece of parchment and ink bottle in front of her and a quill in her hand. She began to write:

Dear Professor Snape,

She scribbled it out and started on a new sheet of parchment:

Snape,

She scribbled it out again and got yet another piece of paper:

Dear Severus,

I never did say thank you for telling Dumbledore about my needing a job.


She scribbled it out and tore it up into a thousand pieces. “Forget it!” She thought to herself, “I’ll just talk to him in August.” She sighed and allowed her head to go face down on the top of her desk.